VWVortex.com - longevity of beetle convert top?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: longevity of beetle convert top?

1. 06-08-2019 06:35 AM #1
      How long has your convert top lasted? Does it matter if you apply a coating to help with UV and water proofing products. My car is kept either in a garage or under a cover. It lives in southern FL. It is stored in the summer in a garage,so not much rain or sun hits it. THX for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      17 GTI S, 17 Beetle S Convertible (wife's)
      06-13-2019 12:59 AM #2
      My wife's sits outside all year round in the Chicago area. We have not used anything special on it. The black top looked great on our 2014 when we traded it in 2017 with no unusual wear. The tan top on our 2017 shows a bit of discoloration where it folds when lowered, but otherwise no issues. There are products for convertible tops to help, but with how yours is in a garage, I think it should be fine without any products applied.

4. 06-13-2019 10:32 AM #3
      Dan thx for the response, I bgt some "303" fabric protectant which is suppose to increase waterproofing and uv protection especially for marine canvas material,but when you read the instructions,it's a major pain to apply. No over spraying and other issues,so I held off. I will probably hold off until I see the need. Masking off the whole area around the top and painted areas is not as simple as you would think lol.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-14-2019 04:21 PM #4
      We have a new 2019 convertible with the beige top. It will be in the garage when my wife is at home but she does park it outside in the hot sun. Do we need to apply anything to it to keep the UV rays off as well as weatherproofing it? I’d hate to have to mark it off to apply the 303 stuff.

7. 08-15-2019 07:24 AM #5
      Check to see if a detail shop will perform the 303 application. I'll bet they will for a price. LOL

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Beetle, 2006 Passat, 2004 New Beetle, 2003 Eurovan (gone but not forgotten)
      09-11-2019 02:41 PM #6
      Sorry I'm not answering the original question, just got my wife a 2019 FE a few weeks ago and I'm researching top protectants. I just saw a video from AutoGeek (https://www.autogeek.net/covtopplas.html) using RaggTop products which don't seem to be plagued by overspray issues. Might want to give them a try.

Ian

9. 09-12-2019 10:46 AM #7
      Skowsa, thx for the info it looks like it is easier than the 303 protectant product. Have you done your car yet and if so how long did the treatment last? THX again