Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Headlight Performance

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport Auto
      06-09-2019 10:13 AM #1
      The IIHS Gave the Alltrack poor headlight ratings with the base lights, and a marginal rating with the upgraded lights. Are the base ones really that bad? I'm assuming they aren't that much different than my Jetta Sport. I put the deautokey HID kit and my car and really like it. I would really like to get the SE Alltrack with the upgraded light package, but would prefer to spend Alltrack S model money! What's everyone's experience?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf Alltrack S DSG, Pure White / Marrakesh
      06-09-2019 11:46 AM #2
      I initially had the Alltrack S headlights and when properly aimed (which mine required I adjust to be correct) they were excellent, especially when combined with the LED fog lights.

My headlights were aimed too low from the factory. When I corrected them, I rarely needed my high beams.

For aesthetic purposes, I installed Ed’s lights with HID’s. I would not say the light output to improve night visibility is significantly different, despite having a much different appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      06-09-2019 12:04 PM #3
      I aimed my lights up a touch and swapped the stock bulbs for Orsam Nightbreaker Laser H7s. I think it's more than adequate.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport Auto
      06-09-2019 12:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C. View Post
      I initially had the Alltrack S headlights and when properly aimed (which mine required I adjust to be correct) they were excellent, especially when combined with the LED fog lights.

My headlights were aimed too low from the factory. When I corrected them, I rarely needed my high beams.

For aesthetic purposes, I installed Ed’s lights with HID’s. I would not say the light output to improve night visibility is significantly different, despite having a much different appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks. I've read a few threads on the factory adjustments being too low. I'm sure the IIHS testers wouldn't have changed them!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf R, 2002 Passat 1.8T
      06-09-2019 12:07 PM #5
      I bought an S this past March and I'm pretty satisfied with my financial choice not to step up to an SE. I installed DeAuto LED low beams and fogs and love them. As Mr. C pointed out, Ed's replica headlights are a decently priced plug and play option for S models to have the lighting package look.

I didn't want a sunroof, the radio is only slightly smaller with all the same functionality, and I already have some potential plans for wheels so probably the only thing I wish I had would be keyless entry/push button start. That option wasn't worth the extra thousands it would be for an SE or better. I might be forgetting something or not weighing in an important option in someone else's mind, but I can sleep at night.

Good luck with your choice!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Sportwagen Comfortline DAP, LP 4Motion 6MT
      06-09-2019 01:40 PM #6
      Aimed ow from the factory aside.....Light package is worth every penny.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion 6MT
      06-09-2019 02:35 PM #7
      I could barely see with the candles in my stock Sportwagen S. Ed's lights a massive upgrade and well worth it in my opinion. It makes the whole front end look completely different and the lights are fantastic.

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW SE Silk Blue w/ DAP
      06-10-2019 04:23 PM #8
      Hello, Salty. What bulbs did you put in Ed's? I have a 2017 GSW SE and would like to upgrade for the LED DRLs and better low beam performance.

11. 06-10-2019 05:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WISVW View Post
      The IIHS Gave the Alltrack poor headlight ratings with the base lights, and a marginal rating with the upgraded lights. Are the base ones really that bad? I'm assuming they aren't that much different than my Jetta Sport.
      IIHS is on a campaign to force the upgrading of headlight standards by rating as poor lights that meet current standards and that historically have been regarded as perfectly satisfactory. So, as you say, not much different than your Jetta's. Now whether that calibre of lighting is satisfactory for you is another story. I very seldom drive at night and when I do it's almost always in very well lighted urban areas, so pretty much the base lights are OK for me and paying an up-charge for upgraded lights wouldn't be a good investment for me. But there are plenty of owners whose needs are much greater than mine, and overall I'm sure we'd all be better off if our government changed the current lighting standards and accepted IIHS's instead.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TSi, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8t
      06-10-2019 06:22 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit76 View Post
      Hello, Salty. What bulbs did you put in Ed's? I have a 2017 GSW SE and would like to upgrade for the LED DRLs and better low beam performance.
      Ed's is not a bulb, its a whole headlight replacement, mine came with Hilux HID setup, i guess you might be able to change whatever you wanted but what it came with was perfectly awesome.
      2015 Golf Sportwagen S TSi 5MT in Tungsten Silver
      2004 Golf GTI 1.8T 5MT in Silverstone Gray
      2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport Auto
      06-10-2019 07:52 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by palincss View Post
      IIHS is on a campaign to force the upgrading of headlight standards by rating as poor lights that meet current standards and that historically have been regarded as perfectly satisfactory. So, as you say, not much different than your Jetta's. Now whether that calibre of lighting is satisfactory for you is another story. I very seldom drive at night and when I do it's almost always in very well lighted urban areas, so pretty much the base lights are OK for me and paying an up-charge for upgraded lights wouldn't be a good investment for me. But there are plenty of owners whose needs are much greater than mine, and overall I'm sure we'd all be better off if our government changed the current lighting standards and accepted IIHS's instead.
      Agreed. The only time I've had issues was on annual road trips through the US (especially mountains) at night. My deautokey bulbs have been great. My wife's Kia I need to drive much slower than even the posted speeds out west, just to feel like I'm not over driving the lights!

I've actually cross shopped the Hyundai Kona, and with it's LED lights, it is rated better than both Alltrack systems. Better crash rating as well, if you can believe that!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion 6MT
      06-10-2019 08:08 PM #12
      Morimoto HIDs were part of the Eds kit I selected.

Link: https://www.becautoparts.com/collect...iant=680665150
      Last edited by saltyirishman; 06-10-2019 at 08:11 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf Sportwagen 5MT, '18 Golf Sporwagen 4MOTION 6MT, Marinoni Genius road bike
      06-10-2019 08:19 PM #13
      There are two different base headlight styles on the Mk VII Golf:

2015-2017 inclusively, H7 (55w) low beams, H15 (55W) high beams/DRLs (separate 15W filament in the H15 capsule)
      2017-2019, H7 (55W) low beams, H9 (65W) high beams, DRLs are LEDs.

The latter is of course superior. Both units come set way too low at the factory. I suspect the factory setting is for the cargo area to be full to capacity. Few of us drive our wagons like that daily. In Europe, they fix the issue by allowing the headlight height to be adjusted from the instrument panel.

VW, or more likely the regulators, think N. Americans are too stupid for that, so they likely set the lights at the worst case scenario, full cargo area, and you're screwed the rest of the time.

So I turned mine up about a turn and a half, a tad and they're better. If I carry a full load, I try remember to turn them down by about a full turn.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-10-2019 09:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
      There are two different base headlight styles on the Mk VII Golf:

2015-2017 inclusively, H7 (55w) low beams, H15 (55W) high beams/DRLs (separate 15W filament in the H15 capsule)
      2017-2019, H7 (55W) low beams, H9 (65W) high beams, DRLs are LEDs.

The latter is of course superior. Both units come set way too low at the factory. I suspect the factory setting is for the cargo area to be full to capacity. Few of us drive our wagons like that daily. In Europe, they fix the issue by allowing the headlight height to be adjusted from the instrument panel.

VW, or more likely the regulators, think N. Americans are too stupid for that, so they likely set the lights at the worst case scenario, full cargo area, and you're screwed the rest of the time.

So I turned mine up about a turn and a half, a tad and they're better. If I carry a full load, I try remember to turn them down by about a full turn.
      VW thinks we are too stupid to have things like manual leveling, parking lights, and rear fog lights. They must base that off of Audi owners who drive with the rear fog lights on a clear night.

04 Subaru STI (that generation body style, with its subsequent nose job) did have manual levelers for its reflector HID.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      06-10-2019 09:42 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      VW thinks we are too stupid to have things like manual leveling, parking lights, and rear fog lights. They must base that off of Audi owners who drive with the rear fog lights on a clear night.

04 Subaru STI (that generation body style, with its subsequent nose job) did have manual levelers for its reflector HID.
      They probably figured "If BMW can eliminate the dipstick . . ."

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-10-2019 09:56 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
      They probably figured "If BMW can eliminate the dipstick . . ."
      Many Audi's and some Touaregs don't have the oil dipstick either. It is relying on a very slow to react electronic monitoring system.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW SE Silk Blue w/ DAP
      06-11-2019 03:59 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by MK7_JSW View Post
      Ed's is not a bulb, its a whole headlight replacement, mine came with Hilux HID setup, i guess you might be able to change whatever you wanted but what it came with was perfectly awesome.
      I am somewhat knowledgeable about Ed's offerings; my understanding is that there are choices to be made as to the bulb(s) installed. I was not aware that they came with any low-beam or high beam bulb installed for the base price. I was wondering what bulb you had that you found satisfactory.
      Thanks.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TSi, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8t
      06-11-2019 04:44 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by MK7_JSW View Post
      I am somewhat knowledgeable about Ed's offerings; my understanding is that there are choices to be made as to the bulb(s) installed. I was not aware that they came with any low-beam or high beam bulb installed for the base price. I was wondering what bulb you had that you found satisfactory.
      Thanks.
      It has 4500k bulbs 35watt hid I wasn’t aware of any options I bought mine 4 years ago.
      2015 Golf Sportwagen S TSi 5MT in Tungsten Silver
      2004 Golf GTI 1.8T 5MT in Silverstone Gray
      2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion 6MT
      06-11-2019 08:24 PM #19
      Thanks.
      https://www.becautoparts.com/collect...iant=680665150 -- I chose 4500K. Closest to factory from a color and brightness standpoint