Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Curse you, volkswagen!!!

Vehicles
      '18 Alltrack SEL
      06-09-2019 03:00 PM #1
      The one thing that really stuck in my rear end about the SEL was that it was the only trim level not avail in 6-spd, which made absolutely NO sense. However, I was in a bind last summer when I bought mine. Iíve always had a manual transmission in my cars until this one. And I canít express how much I *hate* the auto trans and how itís ruined my fun of driving. Now I see....the SEL is available with a damn 6-spd for 2019. Iíd take a bath on a trade-in on mine with 15k on it already.

(I realize I may be late to the party, but I, literally, just found out.)

I hate you, VW. I hate you. Thatís all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-09-2019 10:21 PM #2
      Where do you live? Only the S model and GLI come in manual in the US. It really sucks that thatís our only options here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion 6MT
      06-09-2019 10:28 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ViewlessSquid View Post
      Where do you live? Only the S model and GLI come in manual in the US. It really sucks that thatís our only options here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Not for 2019, the SEL Sportwagen/Alltrack are available with 3 pedals, though I'm guessing exceedingly rare. Also, VW offers manuals in lots of other trims besides the Jetta GLI and the S...though probably not for much longer. Get em while they're hot.

OP: I'm going to be swapping in a GTI interior to fix the seats eventually, besides that the S model 4 motion stripper is awesome [also added Ed's lights as well as fog lights--stock halogens suck].

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      06-10-2019 07:53 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by saltyirishman View Post
      Not for 2019, the SEL Sportwagen/Alltrack are available with 3 pedals, though I'm guessing exceedingly rare. Also, VW offers manuals in lots of other trims besides the Jetta GLI and the S...though probably not for much longer. Get em while they're hot.

OP: I'm going to be swapping in a GTI interior to fix the seats eventually, besides that the S model 4 motion stripper is awesome [also added Ed's lights as well as fog lights--stock halogens suck].
      is there even such a thing as an SEL GSW 4Mo these days? I thought it was only Alltrack if you wanted an SEL 4Mo, DSG or 6MT.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion 6MT
      06-10-2019 09:29 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      is there even such a thing as an SEL GSW 4Mo these days? I thought it was only Alltrack if you wanted an SEL 4Mo, DSG or 6MT.
      You, sir are correct. Just checked the configurator and they have 1.4 S and SE for FWD and only S 4motion for 1.8T. Funky "end of the lineup" for the last Sportwagen we'll likely ever see stateside

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      06-10-2019 10:54 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dcomiskey View Post
      The one thing that really stuck in my rear end about the SEL was that it was the only trim level not avail in 6-spd, which made absolutely NO sense. However, I was in a bind last summer when I bought mine. Iíve always had a manual transmission in my cars until this one. And I canít express how much I *hate* the auto trans and how itís ruined my fun of driving. Now I see....the SEL is available with a damn 6-spd for 2019. Iíd take a bath on a trade-in on mine with 15k on it already.

(I realize I may be late to the party, but I, literally, just found out.)

I hate you, VW. I hate you. Thatís all.
      Why not just run the numbers with a couple of dealers, maybe they won't come out too bad. I hear you though, I HATE automatics. Drove a BMW M235i on the weekend, a VERY sporty car, but the autotragic transmission ruined it for me. It's just boring for me to point and press with an auto.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack SEL - 6 Speed Great Falls Green \ Titan Black (No more Red VWs)
      06-10-2019 11:18 AM #7
      We were about to move on a 2018 SEL with the DSG because VW hadn't confirmed the manual for 2019 back in September.

We were going to go to the dealer one night and make a deal, ran into an unrelated issue that made us punt for another day.

Literally the NEXT DAY I got an email from a different dealer I had been asking about the 6-speed for 2019 confirming that it would be available.

We just picked our car up last Wednesday.

It was a long road, but very happy to have the six speed in the SEL.

While it hasn't yet been confirmed, rumors are that the alltrack is gone after 2019. So if you want it, jump now or you may regret forever.
      GLI Mods: VAG-COM Mods, Auto Headlights w/Euro switch + eBay Module, Soundaktor delete, Passenger under-seat drawer, full interior LED kit(deAK), plastic battery box, DG Short Shifter, Winter Mode: OEM Carrier Bars + Ski attachment + 17" Anthracite Goal wheels + Blizzak LM-32 (225 45 R17) (Winter mode currently offline) EOS Mods: VAG-COM Mods, Auto Headlights w/Euro switch + eBay Module, Passenger under-seat drawer

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-10-2019 02:54 PM #8
      You, sir are correct. Just checked the configurator and they have 1.4 S and SE for FWD and only S 4motion for 1.8T. Funky "end of the lineup" for the last Sportwagen we'll likely ever see stateside
      I think its been the same since the AT hit the US dealers in 2016, if you wanted a GSW 4Mo above and S you had to get and AT.
      '17 Alltrack SE

11. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 06 GTI, 15 Sportwagen TDI, 17 Alltrack
      06-11-2019 12:29 AM #9
      We had the same choice and ruled out the SEL because it didn't have a manual. Seems like that was your decision and VW is not to blame.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion 6MT
      06-11-2019 07:43 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      I think its been the same since the AT hit the US dealers in 2016, if you wanted a GSW 4Mo above and S you had to get and AT.
      It must be the handful of TDI SELs I see around my area that made me think the Sportwagen SEL could be had stateside in that trim in a gasser as well. Canada gets all the nice things

Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack, 2017 Tacoma (sold), 2016 Golf R (sold), 2015 GTI (sold), 2012 BMW 128i MSport (sold)
      06-11-2019 07:58 AM #11
      I picked up my 2019 Execline 6MT a few weeks ago, and have taken it on a small family road trip already. Love the car, and a big part of that is being back in a manual. Get the 6MT

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW GSW S 6MT
      06-11-2019 08:17 AM #12
      In Florida I could not find a S 4Mo 6MT ever. It was even difficult to to find my 1.4 6MT. Happy I could buy it when I did and the dealership received calls to sell while I was doing my deal. jeez

Vehicles
      '18 Alltrack SEL
      06-11-2019 02:12 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Why not just run the numbers with a couple of dealers, maybe they won't come out too bad. I hear you though, I HATE automatics. Drove a BMW M235i on the weekend, a VERY sporty car, but the autotragic transmission ruined it for me. It's just boring for me to point and press with an auto.
      Yeah, I was actually thinking about that this morning. My prior cars were a Mazdaspeed 3, GTI 337 and GTI VR6. All *FUN*, powerful cars to drive. While the Alltrack is a better "overall" car (clearly, being so much newer), it's actually depressing for me to drive. I have nothing to lose calling my dealer!

I did a 500 mi search and there is ONE Red 6MT available....down in Virginia. I would actually drive from CT to grab it if I could...
      Last edited by dcomiskey; 06-11-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Vehicles
      '18 Alltrack SEL
      06-11-2019 02:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by lschw1 View Post
      We had the same choice and ruled out the SEL because it didn't have a manual. Seems like that was your decision and VW is not to blame.
      Well, of course it was my decision. I settled for the next best option available to me. It's just one of those things on a long list of annoyances I've had with VW for 20 years.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-11-2019 03:10 PM #15
      It must be the handful of TDI SELs I see around my area that made me think the Sportwagen SEL could be had stateside in that trim in a gasser as well. Canada gets all the nice things
      yeah after TDI's were pulled from the line up GSW had no SEL option until the Alltrack hit the lots. Remember for a time the TDI was in 3/4 if not more of all VW wagons sold ranging from S any the only engine option in the SEL.
      '17 Alltrack SE

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta SEL
      06-13-2019 09:58 PM #16
      I'm driving an automatic Jetta I bought when I was married to someone who didn't want to drive stick. I'd be very tempted to get a Sportwagen SE if it came with stick anymore. The Alltrack is less appealing to me because I'm less interested in the weight/mileage loss/cost of AWD when I don't really need it. I may be looking GLI, but I haven't test-driven it yet.