VWVortex.com - QuickJack Bl-5000slx Costco sale
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QuickJack Bl-5000slx Costco sale

1. 06-09-2019 04:25 PM #1
      Costo has a deal on QuickJack Bl-5000slx. Has anyone used this specific model on an Mk7.5 Golf R?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      06-09-2019 05:41 PM #2
      I own this exact model for my 16 R. Actually just used it for our new 19 Odyssey as well. Excellent product; even used it to swap out my exhaust. Keep in mind that the rails are quite heavy at around 70lbs each, so if you are using them on an asphalt surface like me, they aren't the easiest things to slide under the car.

4. 06-09-2019 06:05 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Windycitystig View Post
      Costo has a deal on QuickJack Bl-5000slx. Has anyone used this specific model on an Mk7.5 Golf R?
      I have it. its worth it. i did my clutch change on it.. things to be aware of, just an fyi..the air valve on one unit was bad, had to get another from the manufac. and units came beatup from shipping. probably due to weight. 2 other folks i know had problem with the air valve, but their units did not get beat up. one more thing, it'd be good to get something like these, so they fit in the vehicles lift-slots, although these were a bit tight though, but still work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

before i got it, i kept saying its a ripoff and who needs it, i used to used ramps for everything. little did i know i'd really like it. actually the other 2 folks i know kept telling me its worth it.
      Last edited by newvwdude777; 06-09-2019 at 06:19 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      06-09-2019 06:45 PM #4
      How are you storing these when not in use? My garage has an unfortunately low ceiling height due to a beam in the middle so I think this would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 06-09-2019 08:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CRD99 View Post
      How are you storing these when not in use? My garage has an unfortunately low ceiling height due to a beam in the middle so I think this would be perfect.

I store mine upright (rails oriented vertically) leaning against the wall.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      06-09-2019 10:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by CRD99 View Post

I store mine under the golf. They're pushed together and the car drives right over them with no issues.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      06-09-2019 11:00 PM #7
      Thank you, both good ideas. Good to know it can be hung on the wall without leaking hydraulic fluid.

10. 06-09-2019 11:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by newvwdude777 View Post
      I have it. its worth it. i did my clutch change on it.. things to be aware of, just an fyi..the air valve on one unit was bad, had to get another from the manufac. and units came beatup from shipping. probably due to weight. 2 other folks i know had problem with the air valve, but their units did not get beat up. one more thing, it'd be good to get something like these, so they fit in the vehicles lift-slots, although these were a bit tight though, but still work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

before i got it, i kept saying its a ripoff and who needs it, i used to used ramps for everything. little did i know i'd really like it. actually the other 2 folks i know kept telling me its worth it.
      What year is your R?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Golf R 6MT, 15 Exocet, 04 MSM, 01 M5, 18 StripleRS
      06-09-2019 11:34 PM #9
      Couldn't bring myself to pick up a set of those, even for the Miatas. Not only do I not trust them, they're slightly less useful than jackstands with marginal benefits to lifting time.

The way I see it, the quickjacks require similar amounts of time spent on the ground setting them up, in many cases more heavy lifting than a jack and jackstands require, and don't save that much time especially for the price tag. What do you get out of it? About the height of a jackstand, except with both sides of the car blocked off.

The real answer is a 2-post.

No img tags in sigs gives asellus a sad.

12. 06-09-2019 11:50 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by asellus View Post
      Couldn't bring myself to pick up a set of those, even for the Miatas. Not only do I not trust them, they're slightly less useful than jackstands with marginal benefits to lifting time.

The way I see it, the quickjacks require similar amounts of time spent on the ground setting them up, in many cases more heavy lifting than a jack and jackstands require, and don't save that much time especially for the price tag. What do you get out of it? About the height of a jackstand, except with both sides of the car blocked off.

Don’t got the room. Cool setup.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-10-2019 12:00 AM #11
      Don’t got the room. Cool setup.
      You'd be surprised what you can fit in a 'normal' sized garage. A lot of guys cut away the ceiling and have the over bar in the rafters. They also make low profile lifts.

14. 06-10-2019 02:34 AM #12
      What year is your R?
      2016. why?

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      06-10-2019 07:36 AM #13
      What year is your R?
      Why do you think this matters, the lifting points are the same boss. And even if they weren't... the lift works on *surprised Pikachu*, multiple cars.

Quote Originally Posted by asellus

2-posts are the dream, but for those of us with real-estate concerns and don't have a whackton of cash to fork over for a re-model and civil reassessment (I assume, because I have another hurdle, I live in a goddamn condo and not at all close to home ownership!), not exactly realistic for a bunch of us, but thanks for humble-bragging about your setup.

There are benefits to a small portable lift, and if you can't see 'em, then I guess that's your loss.

16. 06-10-2019 07:58 AM #14
      Do the stock jack blocks that come with the QuickJack work on our jack points?

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      06-10-2019 08:01 AM #15
      Do the stock jack blocks that come with the QuickJack work on our jack points?
      Are you one of those people who insists on lifting with a puck? The pinch welds strong enough to stand on their own. But if you absolutely must, you can buy the pucks for super cheap online from Amazon and just stack them on the low profile block from QJ.

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      06-10-2019 10:02 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Sedako View Post
      I store mine under the golf. They're pushed together and the car drives right over them with no issues.
      Same

Quote Originally Posted by wuZheng View Post
      Are you one of those people who insists on lifting with a puck? The pinch welds strong enough to stand on their own. But if you absolutely must, you can buy the pucks for super cheap online from Amazon and just stack them on the low profile block from QJ.
      Been there done that.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-10-2019 10:34 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by wuZheng View Post
      ... There are benefits to a small portable lift, and if you can't see 'em, then I guess that's your loss.
      I just don't see any reason to spend a grand on an apparatus that does arguably less than what $40 in jackstands and $110 in a floor jack can do, especially considering that you can get a 2-post for under $2k. What benefit am I missing?

20. 06-10-2019 10:54 AM #18
      I just don't see any reason to spend a grand on an apparatus that does arguably less than what $40 in jackstands and $110 in a floor jack can do, especially considering that you can get a 2-post for under $2k. What benefit am I missing?
      These take up less space and are way easier to install than a 2 post.

This is safer than jack stands. Checkout their YouTube videos.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-10-2019 11:01 AM #19
      These take up less space and are way easier to install than a 2 post.

This is safer than jack stands. Checkout their YouTube videos.
      Marketing wank doesn't equate to safety. I wouldn't trust them to hold up a car above me, especially given the more flexible alternative of jackstands. :\

22. 06-10-2019 12:57 PM #20
      The most dangerous part of using jackstands is lifting and lowering the vehicle. Without a circus of people to help you will need to tilt the vehicle when using separate jackstands and lifts. *No lifting equipment is designed to hold a vehicle off-level... * edit: I was wrong, see maxjax tilt

Also I don't think quickjacks block off the sides of the vehicle. I don't own them, but based on youtube videos I'm pretty sure you can still crawl through the jacks for side access. Would be good to hear from owners if the product has any warnings against doing this.

Besides no installation required (in the sense a 2 post lift needs installation) the quickjacks can be powered from a vehicle battery. So you could use them in a driveway or conceivably take them to a track or a something.
      Last edited by jakeyjohn1; 06-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.

23. 06-10-2019 01:06 PM #21

Nice size garage
      10 foot high in mine
      Didnt want to lug around portable art up

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-10-2019 01:08 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jakeyjohn1 View Post
      The most dangerous part of using jackstands is lifting and lowering the vehicle. Without a circus of people to help you will need to tilt the vehicle when using separate jackstands and lifts. No lifting equipment is designed to hold a vehicle off-level...
      Chocks..? I use a cut up 6x6 as a wheel chock when I'm relegated to floor jack usage. Haven't been under my mk7 for long, but nearly every other car I've worked on has a central lifting point of some sort, so you can jack the front up as a whole, then jack the back.

Also I don't think quickjacks block off the sides of the vehicle. I don't own them, but based on youtube videos I'm pretty sure you can still crawl through the jacks for side access. Would be good to hear from owners if the product has any warnings against doing this.
      This is the absolute LAST thing you want to do. Why on earth would you put yourself in the operating path of a piece that is designed to move? I see this as the same as relying only on the hydraulic floor jack to hold your car up while doing an oil change. Idiotic at best.

Besides no installation required (in the sense a 2 post lift needs installation) the quickjacks can be powered from a vehicle battery. So you could use them in a driveway or conceivably take them to a track or a something.
      If portability and stowability is a concern, consider a maxjax? That's the best compromise for lack of space/money/construction authority and having a proper 2-post, and they're a hell of a lot more useful than a quickjack, what with over twice the lift height.

As far as taking them to a track day... no. I doubt anyone does that. Not when you can stow a nice floor jack using much less space and weight in your trailer. Or car, for that matter.

25. 06-10-2019 01:30 PM #23
      Chocks..? I use a cut up 6x6 as a wheel chock when I'm relegated to floor jack usage. Haven't been under my mk7 for long, but nearly every other car I've worked on has a central lifting point of some sort, so you can jack the front up as a whole, then jack the back.

This is the absolute LAST thing you want to do. Why on earth would you put yourself in the operating path of a piece that is designed to move? I see this as the same as relying only on the hydraulic floor jack to hold your car up while doing an oil change. Idiotic at best.

If portability and stowability is a concern, consider a maxjax? That's the best compromise for lack of space/money/construction authority and having a proper 2-post, and they're a hell of a lot more useful than a quickjack, what with over twice the lift height.
      When lifting a vechicle off-level, the vehicle isn't the only thing that can move. You are putting lateral forces on the base of the jackstand/lift that it is not designed for.

If you're vehicle is lifted and you go under it, guess what? You are technically in the operating path of whatever is going to lower it... the quickjacks have mechanical locks that automatically engage as you lift and prevent the apparatus from lowering, just like jackstands. Again I don't know if quickjack's manufacturer condones side access

Maxjaxs look cool too. Do you own quickjacks?

P.S. the maxjax tilt is what a stand/lift would look like if it could handle off level vehicles, look at the how huge the base on that thing is. Its also seems as though it is only designed to tilt front engine vehicles engine down as the description says its for exhaust work and they only show images of an front engine car engine down.
      Last edited by jakeyjohn1; 06-10-2019 at 01:36 PM.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      06-10-2019 01:30 PM #24
      For the naysayers, here is the 5000lb model lifting well over it's rated capacity:

Yes, it's obviously produced by the manufacturer, but I don't feel that detracts from the video at all. Obviously you shouldn't be lifting anything over the rated capacity, but I've never once felt unsafe using these. Just make sure you follow the manual for maintenance.

27. 06-10-2019 01:31 PM #25
      The MaxJax requires at least 4 inches of good quality concrete slab to anchor into, if you want to be confident the car isn't going to fall onto your head. And it requires sinking 5-7 anchors per side, so it'll take some luck to not hit rebar when drilling. There are more variables to easily and safely setting up a MaxJax than you're letting on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast