Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Speed Award/Town Fundraising Certificate Questions

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-10-2019 08:59 AM #1
      I got pulled over in Burnsville, NC this weekend at a pretty obvious speed trap. Divided highway, two lanes in each direction with a 3 foot shoulder. There was a ton of cops around, so I was doing exactly the speed limit, which was 55. However, the speed limit dropped from 55 to 35 suddenly and the cop was waiting for me right at the 35 mph zone and snagged me doing 55. Ouch.

20 over is a pretty ****ty ticket, right? Well maybe not. The officer writes me a ticket for a 55 in a 35, then says its not going on my insurance or license since its a TOWN ticket, not a county or state ticket. Best part is, its only $50 and there's no court costs if I mail it in.

I'm very skeptical though. I've gotten lots of tickets, and my MO is to hire a lawyer for $350, which is about what the fine (usually ~$25-50) plus court costs (usually ~$280-300 in NC) usually runs, but I don't have to pay the increased insurance rates. The last time I actually paid a ticket was in 2009, and it totally ****ed my insurance rates when I just mailed in payment.

So anyways, has anyone ever heard of a ticket that doesn't go on your record? I know cops don't have to tell the truth, but it seems weird. I asked him to clarify three times since I wasn't sure if I heard him right. So yeah, if I just mail this in, am I going to regret not getting a lawyer?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 09:56 AM #2
      Whatever the reasoning or how the officer described it, I'd pay it and chock it up as a learning experience.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V
      06-10-2019 10:20 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      I got pulled over in Burnsville, NC this weekend at a pretty obvious speed trap. Divided highway, two lanes in each direction with a 3 foot shoulder. There was a ton of cops around, so I was doing exactly the speed limit, which was 55. However, the speed limit dropped from 55 to 35 suddenly and the cop was waiting for me right at the 35 mph zone and snagged me doing 55. Ouch.

20 over is a pretty ****ty ticket, right? Well maybe not. The officer writes me a ticket for a 55 in a 35, then says its not going on my insurance or license since its a TOWN ticket, not a county or state ticket. Best part is, its only $50 and there's no court costs if I mail it in.

I'm very skeptical though. I've gotten lots of tickets, and my MO is to hire a lawyer for $350, which is about what the fine (usually ~$25-50) plus court costs (usually ~$280-300 in NC) usually runs, but I don't have to pay the increased insurance rates. The last time I actually paid a ticket was in 2009, and it totally ****ed my insurance rates when I just mailed in payment.

So anyways, has anyone ever heard of a ticket that doesn't go on your record? I know cops don't have to tell the truth, but it seems weird. I asked him to clarify three times since I wasn't sure if I heard him right. So yeah, if I just mail this in, am I going to regret not getting a lawyer?
      Perhaps some habits need to change?

I've heard of points being reduced if you mail in, in a certain time frame, but not the ticket essentially vanishing if you fork over $50.

Though $50 for 20 over is definitely not bad.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

5. Senior Member
      06-10-2019 10:36 AM #4
      We have these town/county tickets around here. But the cut off is well below 20mph I think. I got one right after I moved so I don't recall the details as it has been quite a few years.

But it was something like I got stopped for 12 over (reverse of yours speed limit was raising and I started speeding up too soon). Since I just moved I was confirming the protocol and said so just fill this out/call in a plea of not guilty and I get a court date? He was like oh this can just be done as "local" fine since I wrote it up for something like 9 over. Go to the county court house, show them the ticket, they will call in a prosecutor for the "plea" who amends it to some local ordinance that does not get reported back to the state. I did that a week later and it went exactly as he described, there was even another guy there same time with the same type of ticket.

Actually as I was typing this I recall having one in NC too. It was on 85 right across border from SC. They were setup shooting radar off an overpass at groups of cars and then like 10 cop cars would come down exit at once and pull everyone over. They were so damn efficient I was maybe pulled over 5 minutes.. tops. I was living in GA but still had my NJ license at the time, so the cop was sort of like I can see your record is a mess don't worry this one is just a "local" thing if you pay and don't fight it. Pretty sure he even handed me a slip of paper with the process on it to just pay via the local town or county web portal.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-10-2019 10:39 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 0dd_j0b View Post
      Perhaps some habits need to change?

I've heard of points being reduced if you mail in, in a certain time frame, but not the ticket essentially vanishing if you fork over $50.

Though $50 for 20 over is definitely not bad.
      Yeah, $50 for 20 over IS a killer deal, that's part of the reason why I'm suspicious. If its not reported anywhere, do I need to pay it at all?

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-10-2019 10:48 AM #6
      Maybe it is sort of similar to deferred disposition that we have here. Basically it's speeding ticket probation, and if you abide by the terms (don't get another ticket in the same jurisdiction for 90 days or a year, usually) and pay the fine it doesn't get reported to the state/insurance/etc. The last one I got was in an unfamiliar area when I missed an exit and got popped for doing 60 in a 45 down the next (totally straight) off-ramp (was coming from a 70 MPH highway). I paid the $170 or whatever it was to make it go away.

I would just pay the $50 to make it disappear. You will spend more than two hours dealing with it any other way, and at the minimum they could send it to collections and ding your credit.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      06-10-2019 12:21 PM #7
      Google town and speeding ticket...I assume this is a fundraiser for town. If it works that way folks will prob be talking about it (or not) and just give them their $.

+1 on the lots of tickets =

CSB: I had to pay cash for a possession charge 1x. My buddy wanted a receipt...I convinced him it was better to just leave.
      Creature of Bad Habits

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-10-2019 12:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Maybe it is sort of similar to deferred disposition that we have here. Basically it's speeding ticket probation, and if you abide by the terms (don't get another ticket in the same jurisdiction for 90 days or a year, usually) and pay the fine it doesn't get reported to the state/insurance/etc. The last one I got was in an unfamiliar area when I missed an exit and got popped for doing 60 in a 45 down the next (totally straight) off-ramp (was coming from a 70 MPH highway). I paid the $170 or whatever it was to make it go away.

I would just pay the $50 to make it disappear. You will spend more than two hours dealing with it any other way, and at the minimum they could send it to collections and ding your credit.
      The thing you're describing in the first paragraph is called a "PJC" in NC, and you can only do that with legit speeding tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      Google town and speeding ticket...I assume this is a fundraiser for town. If it works that way folks will prob be talking about it (or not) and just give them their $
      Yep, googling "Burnsville NC" has a google autocomplete of "burnsville nc speeding ticket". Fun stuff.

I'm going to hire a lawyer, this ticket has the potential to raise my insurance 45%.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      06-10-2019 01:46 PM #9
      interesting in how different search history's are....I didn't get that result. got up to the entire phrase and all it gave me was a generic ticket lawyer.

good luck

kinda glad it didn't give me me my standard pron history...
      Creature of Bad Habits

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V
      06-10-2019 02:00 PM #10

I'm going to hire a lawyer, this ticket has the potential to raise my insurance 45%.
      Holy isht!
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

12. Senior Member
      06-10-2019 02:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post

Oh remembered I had one of these too, in GA.

Probably most entertaining court experience ever, cute prosectuor that was laughing at my "clean record" and judge was sick of sitting after a day in real court and kept making everyone stand up and "get the blood flowing"

But same thing she said that it would just basically sit with the town for X amount of time and if I didn't get stopped again for any moving violations it would just go away and never reported to the state. Well other than the fine I paid.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      06-10-2019 02:24 PM #12
      The bigger question is why anyone would be in Burnsville.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-10-2019 02:43 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      The bigger question is why anyone would be in Burnsville.
      Haha yeah it’s actually because we typed the wrong thing into google maps. After the ticket, we got off on this backroad with all of these cameras on it and no trespassing signs.

We did eventually find the hike we were looking for though.

15. 06-10-2019 05:35 PM #14
      I've gotten lots of tickets
      Yep, googling "Burnsville NC" has a google autocomplete of "burnsville nc speeding ticket". Fun stuff.

Umm, maybe it's you.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

16. 06-10-2019 05:49 PM #15
      Don't do this: It's probably not even true, although more than a few lawyers (and I have some in the family) shared this about small-town Texas tickets years and years ago, before the internet took over. I never tried it myself... Consider it "for amusement only."

Say the fine was $50. The scofflaw would mail the issuing jurisdiction a check for $55, which would mean the ticket had to be put on hold until the fine amount was correct (for auditing purposes). They would mail you a $5 check back to make the fine amount correct in their system.

Then you would never deposit that $5 check. The entire history of the citation would stay in some office folder forever, awaiting the check they mailed you to clear the bank, and would never be reported to the state, or insurance companies. Most places would be so busy they'd forget about it until the next audit years later (if ever), and even then they would probably just dismiss it or put it back in the file cabinet where it would again smolder until hell froze over...

17. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      06-10-2019 05:56 PM #16
      Is there anyone on this forum who isn't a terrible driver?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-10-2019 05:57 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post

Umm, maybe it's you.
      Haha maybe so. Is the google algorithm smart enough to pick up on that? If so, that’s kinda neat.

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V
      06-10-2019 06:12 PM #18
      Haha maybe so. Is the google algorithm smart enough to pick up on that? If so, that’s kinda neat.
      Google always knows.
      The past vehicles.

20. 06-10-2019 07:08 PM #19
      Is the google algorithm smart enough to pick up on that?
      At this point, nothing would surprise me.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      06-12-2019 09:50 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post

Umm, maybe it's you.
      That's really interesting. I never realized that the autocomplete on google varied from person to person. I figured it was based off of top search results.

Mine shows this:

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-12-2019 09:57 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      That's really interesting. I never realized that the autocomplete on google varied from person to person. I figured it was based off of top search results.

Mine shows this:
      Yeah, really interesting.

I had searched for "speeding ticket yancey county" previously though, so that probably influenced it.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      06-12-2019 10:09 AM #22
      Every little town going through the DelMarVa on Route 13 has these. 55 speed limit, then 35. We take 113 now to avoid these fundraisers.

I too would just pay it and move on, maybe call and see if their tickets gets reflected on your MVR. Honestly, if you have had that many speeding tickets, your MVR must read like a rap sheet anyway

Vehicles
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      06-12-2019 10:26 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Don't do this: It's probably not even true, although more than a few lawyers (and I have some in the family) shared this about small-town Texas tickets years and years ago, before the internet took over. I never tried it myself... Consider it "for amusement only."

Say the fine was $50. The scofflaw would mail the issuing jurisdiction a check for $55, which would mean the ticket had to be put on hold until the fine amount was correct (for auditing purposes). They would mail you a $5 check back to make the fine amount correct in their system.

Then you would never deposit that $5 check. The entire history of the citation would stay in some office folder forever, awaiting the check they mailed you to clear the bank, and would never be reported to the state, or insurance companies. Most places would be so busy they'd forget about it until the next audit years later (if ever), and even then they would probably just dismiss it or put it back in the file cabinet where it would again smolder until hell froze over...
      Classic old wive's tale.