VWVortex.com - Sad story ..... but happy ending? Time to rebuild.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sad story ..... but happy ending? Time to rebuild.

Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2018 Chrysler Pacifica
      06-10-2019 11:10 AM #1
      So last year I purchased a pre-owned 2015 GTI in order to get back into a more entertaining daily driver/family car.

Aka the Daddy Bucket.

About a year later, it looked like this.

I had the car just about where I wanted it. Wheels fit it perfectly. ECU and TCU tunes were both working great. VWR springs brought the car down to a reasonable height without rupturing my kidneys. Just installed a Clubsport muffler about a month ago to give it a bit more sound while still feeling like an adult when I drove it. Had a few other small touches such as paddle shifter extensions from Leyo. I was in love. It looked good. It drove well. What a great bang for the buck. Hard to beat the combination things the GTI provides.

Then the bucket arrived in the wrong place at the wrong time. I walked away. The bucket didn't. It's just a car and it did exactly what it needed to do in that situation. I'm sad to see it go however.

It's now a week later and the slight bruising and muscle soreness has subsided.

I walked outside this morning and took a picture. Daddy bucket 2.0 has arrived. We will rebuild.

Last edited by SAPJetta; 06-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 MKVII white GTI
      06-10-2019 11:20 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      So last year I purchased a pre-owned 2015 GTI in order to get back into a more entertaining daily driver/family car.

Aka the Daddy Bucket.

I had the car just about where I wanted it. Wheels fit it perfectly. ECU and TCU tunes were both working great. VWR springs brought the car down to a reasonable height without rupturing my kidneys. Had a few other small touches such as paddle shifter extensions from Leyo. I was in love. It looked good. It drove well. What a great bang for the buck. Hard to beat the combination things the GTI provides.

Then the bucket arrived in the wrong place at the wrong time. I walked away. The bucket didn't. It's just a car and it did exactly what it needed to do in that situation. I'm sad to see it go however.

I walked outside this morning and took a picture. Daddy bucket 2.0 has arrived. We will rebuild.

Good luck with it!
      Hope you were able to salvage the wheels and springs from it, put the wheels on this car.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
      18" VMR V804 & Conti DWS 235 tires, AWE down pipe & Touring exhaust, VWR inlet pipe, OEM+ shifter, BFI engine Mounts, Super pro rear sway and links, Pro Sport Boost gauge

Vehicles
      06-10-2019 11:33 AM #3
      I'm trying to work with the insurance to get access to the car today or tomorrow in order to salvage the wheels and paddle extensions from it. I need to throw some "alloy" wheels back on it as that is what is listed in the estimate. So I'll be taking my pop's 2010 GTI and throwing his wheels on there and putting the VMR's on his car for the time being. I don't think I'll be able to salvage the springs however.

My clubsport muffler that I just installed last month is probably a goner too. They won't let me remove anything if I don't replace it with something so the car is in the same state it was in at the estimate. Stupid, I know.

I'll be happy if I can save the wheels though.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-10-2019 11:49 AM #4
      Oh man. That sucks. I’m so sorry.

Glad that you will have the chance to do it all again. Anything you will change up on V2.0?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Canyon Denali
      06-10-2019 11:56 AM #5
      Surprised that was totalled

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2017 MKVII white GTI
      06-10-2019 12:01 PM #6
      I'm trying to work with the insurance to get access to the car today or tomorrow in order to salvage the wheels and paddle extensions from it. I need to throw some "alloy" wheels back on it as that is what is listed in the estimate. So I'll be taking my pop's 2010 GTI and throwing his wheels on there and putting the VMR's on his car for the time being. I don't think I'll be able to salvage the springs however.

My clubsport muffler that I just installed last month is probably a goner too. They won't let me remove anything if I don't replace it with something so the car is in the same state it was in at the estimate. Stupid, I know.

I'll be happy if I can save the wheels though.
      Ah crap that sucks, i hope you can salvage some stuff from it though exsp the wheels.
      I know i totaled a car out many years ago and i was able to go to the yard and pull items out, although i was not asked to replace the parts since the car was totaled.
      Whos your insurance?
      What i would do as this is what i have, get an added coverage on your insurance policy for additional parts. I have a 5k extra blanket on my policy which incase something happens, like wheels damaged or stolen they will be replaced. All you have to make sure is you hold onto your invoices for parts. I keep a folder with my purchases in it.
      Just food for future thought!

18" VMR V804 & Conti DWS 235 tires, AWE down pipe & Touring exhaust, VWR inlet pipe, OEM+ shifter, BFI engine Mounts, Super pro rear sway and links, Pro Sport Boost gauge

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI SE 6MT and 2001 VW New Beetle 1.8Turbo
      06-10-2019 12:03 PM #7
      Hell, my insurance company (Shout out to USAA) not only hooked me up when one of my old bugs was totaled by a drunk, but then let me buy back that car for 100 bucks so I could salvage some important bits. Your insurance sounds lame. Who is it? Is your new GTI the super lovely Silver White? It looks very nice.

Vehicles
      06-10-2019 12:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Oh man. That sucks. I’m so sorry.

Glad that you will have the chance to do it all again. Anything you will change up on V2.0?
      I'm not sure yet. I know the Clubsport muffler won't fit a MK7.5, so that's sad, but I can leave the exhaust be for now. Even if it did fit, that two month wait for it to ship from Latvia was excruciating. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NJMKIV View Post
      Surprised that was totalled

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      The pictures don't do it justice. It was fender to fender damage. Airbags deployed. Passenger fender pushed back into the door so that the door won't open. They were at $13.6k parts and labor and hadn't even popped the hood yet.

Quote Originally Posted by caddtalent View Post
      Ah crap that sucks, i hope you can salvage some stuff from it though exsp the wheels.
      I know i totaled a car out many years ago and i was able to go to the yard and pull items out, although i was not asked to replace the parts since the car was totaled.
      Whos your insurance?
      What i would do as this is what i have, get an added coverage on your insurance policy for additional parts. I have a 5k extra blanket on my policy which incase something happens, like wheels damaged or stolen they will be replaced. All you have to make sure is you hold onto your invoices for parts. I keep a folder with my purchases in it.
      Just food for future thought!

I'll definitely be looking into it. I have all the receipts, but since I never added the additional coverage, I'm SOL. I submitted them anyhow and I'll keep my fingers crossed. Going to get what I can from it assuming I can get access later.

Quote Originally Posted by Funyellowbug View Post
      Hell, my insurance company (Shout out to USAA) not only hooked me up when one of my old bugs was totaled by a drunk, but then let me buy back that car for 100 bucks so I could salvage some important bits. Your insurance sounds lame. Who is it? Is your new GTI the super lovely Silver White? It looks very nice.
      Geico. Been using them for years without any issues, but then again, I've never totaled a car. They would probably let me buy it back, but based on the prices I got various bits at, it would cost me more to buy it back then I paid for them. I'd have to part the thing out to recoup the cost and then deal with getting it hauled away. Probably not worth the hassle at this point.

Yes, White Silver Metallic it is. The color is a trip. Still can't wrap my mind around it sometimes.

11. 06-11-2019 11:37 AM #9

Aka the Daddy Bucket.

I had the car just about where I wanted it. Wheels fit it perfectly. ECU and TCU tunes were both working great. VWR springs brought the car down to a reasonable height without rupturing my kidneys. Just installed a Clubsport muffler about a month ago to give it a bit more sound while still feeling like an adult when I drove it. Had a few other small touches such as paddle shifter extensions from Leyo. I was in love. It looked good. It drove well. What a great bang for the buck. Hard to beat the combination things the GTI provides.

Great color!

12. 06-11-2019 01:35 PM #10
      Some carriers have $1,500 built in for Custom Equipment (my Travelers policy does) but others have $0 unless you add an endorsement. Definitely a good lesson for anyone who has modified their car to look into this and make sure you're covered. It's not that expensive to add it I think $30 per year for up to $5K for me. Mine also covers the labor to replace the parts.

Vehicles
      06-11-2019 02:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by steveaustin View Post
      Some carriers have $1,500 built in for Custom Equipment (my Travelers policy does) but others have $0 unless you add an endorsement. Definitely a good lesson for anyone who has modified their car to look into this and make sure you're covered. It's not that expensive to add it I think $30 per year for up to $5K for me. Mine also covers the labor to replace the parts.

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 06:03 PM #12
      Guess I'll kind of turn this into a salvage/rebuild thread.

Grabbed my dad and his 2009 GTI earlier today and headed to the auction yard after getting the OK from insurance to pull the wheels off. Swapped my pop's stock wheels for the VMR's. During the process, my dad dropped one of the wheels on its face. Few minor scratches on what used to be perfect wheels.

I think I'm going to let him keep them on his car because they looked good. He can deal with TPMS sensors if he doesn't like the flashing light.

The bucket looked kind of odd with the Detroits on there, but I kinda dug it.....

Grabbed my paddle extensions and they'll go back on asap.

I'm out of luck on the Clubsport muffler (which wouldn't fit the new car anyhow) and the springs, but the cost related to springs was mainly in labor. Onward we go.

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 08:08 PM #13
      The flappy paddle extensions found their new home.

Vehicles
      09-21-2019 12:52 PM #14
      3 months later and things are coming along. The White Silver Metallic is really starting to grow on me. The color looks very different depending on lighting conditions. People routinely look at it oddly and then ask what color the car is.

Suspension done.

Wheels almost done. Waiting on some 3mm spacers because the V703's only clear the larger brakes by a whisker. It's scary close. Happy with the way it's sitting though.

Maybe a light tint on the windows and then I get to start looking at tuning options again. Warranty be damned.

Overall, I've been pleased with the car, but I don't like the 7 speed DSG as much as the previous 6 speed DSG. It feels slower to repsond and more delayed with less forceful clamping in shifts. Sport mode feels a little better. I'm hoping a TCU tune in the future will alleviate this a little bit.

Brake clearance

Vehicles
      2017 GTI/Sport, 2015 Golf/S
      09-26-2019 03:09 PM #15
      What's the offset of your wheels?
      Join Date as cooloregon: Aug 9th, 2001, now as VWoregon.
      MY17 CSG Sport; DSG, RSe12 hyper black's, CSS muffler, Bilstein B8/H&R sport springs, H&R 26mm rear SB; Ed's LED tails; 35% ceramic tint; OBDeleven coding.

Vehicles
      09-26-2019 03:19 PM #16
      18x8.5 45ET

The larger calipers cut it close though. Spoke with VMR and they agreed it looked a bit tight.

Just threw some 3mm (so effectively 42ET now) spacers on to provide some peace of mind. Didn't do much for the appearance of the car, but the fronts are extremely flush now and I have that little bit of wiggle room.