VWVortex.com - Torn on a color change on a classic...looking for guidance / opinions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torn on a color change on a classic...looking for guidance / opinions

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      06-10-2019 11:37 AM #1
      Hey Folks -

I am having my '65 Cutlass redone due to a nasty case of the tin worm. It was my father's car and the car I grew up wrenching on. The full story can be found in this thread here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log). As we've gone through the car I've been telling others (and myself) that if I change it too much it wouldn't be my father's car. In trying to keep with that theme I've been trying to find a red that would look good with the red interior. I have never been a fan of the shade that was on the car (re-paint done in the mid-90's) and really wanted something a little darker.

I've been searching for the past couple months and really am not happy with any of the reds. Truth is I really don't like red cars to begin with. I'm now contemplating a color change, something that would look good with red interior (I LOVE red interiors, so that's staying). I came across an image of Porsche Slate Grey with the red interior and absolutely love it.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I do a color change? I know, build it how I want it. The car isn't original anyway so keeping it red for value's sake means nothing.
      2. If I were to keep it red, what color red would you suggest?
      3. If I am changing the color, what colors looks great with the red interior and would make the chrome pop?

Here's how she was before the surgery:

Best picture I have of the red interior:

Here's the Slate Grey color I like:

Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-10-2019 11:46 AM #2
      If you're not concerned about having a car that matches the original color, do it. I think I'd be tempted to change the wheels if I were to do that, though, so it could be a slippery slope for me. Also, what color is the top? White?

Vehicles
      06-10-2019 11:47 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      If you're not concerned about having a car that matches the original color, do it. I think I'd be tempted to change the wheels if I were to do that, though, so it could be a slippery slope for me. Also, what color is the top? White?
      If I went grey I'd put a black top on it. Top needs to be replaced regardless.

5. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw
      06-10-2019 12:05 PM #4
      What color was it when your pops first bought it? I know you mentioned a pain job in the 90s - did it deviate much from original?

Either way, I would try to have it match whatever it was when he first bought it. That way you’ll immediately remember it as ‘his’.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

6. 06-10-2019 12:18 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      Hey Folks -

3. If I am changing the color, what colors looks great with the red interior and would make the chrome pop?

How about an aquablue of some sort, with metallic flake?

Low riders do custom colours really well that set off chrome work nicely. Take a look at some of those for inspiration.

Vehicles
      2015 Sonique, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      06-10-2019 12:23 PM #6
      I had a very similar problem when I had my FoxWagon turned FoxTruckFox painted...I loved the Audi TT Amulet Red and the VW/Audi Nimbus Gray, both are similar to your 2 color choices and here is what I realized....

The Gray looks GREAT on a very curvy car (such as an Audi TT and that Speedster in your OP)....that Gray looks like boring Primer on a more squared off car (as it looks terrible on a friends Sirocco)

The Red is the OG color, it works very well on Straight/Squarey cars so you should stick in the Red Family.

my $.02
      Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

8. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      06-10-2019 12:25 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      What color was it when your pops first bought it? I know you mentioned a pain job in the 90s - did it deviate much from original?

Either way, I would try to have it match whatever it was when he first bought it. That way you’ll immediately remember it as ‘his’.
      Agreed, especially if that ends up being the original color of the car.

If you were to change colors IMO the slate gray thing is a bit played out. I'd go with silver with the red interior.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      06-10-2019 12:43 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      The car was originally red with red interior and a white top. The red that the car was painted in was a different shade though it was supposedly the correct paint code for the car.

I realize there are many variables here (oxidation, dirt, clearcoat, etc.) but you can see the color difference between the original and the repainted color.

Quote Originally Posted by DerBaldGuy
      I had a very similar problem when I had my FoxWagon turned FoxTruckFox painted...I loved the Audi TT Amulet Red and the VW/Audi Nimbus Gray, both are similar to your 2 color choices and here is what I realized....

The Gray looks GREAT on a very curvy car (such as an Audi TT and that Speedster in your OP)....that Gray looks like boring Primer on a more squared off car (as it looks terrible on a friends Sirocco)

The Red is the OG color, it works very well on Straight/Squarey cars so you should stick in the Red Family.
      Amulet Red was on my list of reds that I liked. I'm worried that it's too red for the interior.

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      06-10-2019 12:50 PM #9
      Corvette Long Beach Red

https://www.google.com/search?q=corv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Do it.

EDIT: to say that a quick google search indicates two shades of red available for 1965, one being very red and one being more burgundy. Looks like your car started off in the burgundy color and then the shop repainted it in the more red color.
      Last edited by GLI Dan; 06-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Vehicles
      2015 Sonique, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      06-10-2019 12:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post

Amulet Red was on my list of reds that I liked. I'm worried that it's too red for the interior.
      Amulet Red will definitely make every other shade of red look like tomato red....by itself, its a super sexy dark blood red...but once it's near any other red, that red just looks like tomato party...so keep that in mind with that interior.
      Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

Vehicles
      06-10-2019 12:55 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Corvette Long Beach Red

https://www.google.com/search?q=corv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Do it.

EDIT: to say that a quick google search indicates two shades of red available for 1965, one being very red and one being more burgundy. Looks like your car started off in the burgundy color and then the shop repainted it in the more red color.
      No, it was Target Red from the factory as per the fire wall tag.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      06-10-2019 12:55 PM #12
      Red is a tough color to like if you don't like red.
      Go gray, make it yours!
      Maybe put a nice pinstripe on it the original color with your old mans initials in it, to make sure it stays his too.

Sweet car.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      06-10-2019 12:58 PM #13
      I'm a sucker for a white car with a red interior but I REALLY like your gray idea. A black top and red interior would really set it off. The wheels would look great with those colors as well.

15. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2019 01:00 PM #14
      Dark blue cars with red interiors look AMAZING.

I've seen some matte blue cars done that way and while they looked great, matte paint is not something I'd want to maintain for the long term. It damages easily and is very hard to touch-up, whether with a brush for chips or with a spray gun for area coverage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      06-10-2019 01:01 PM #15
      personal opinion but I hate red on cars, so i am for the color change option.

I would go simple on the color change and do black,white or silver., red interiors are always challenging

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      06-10-2019 01:11 PM #16
      A good mid-blue with some metallic in it will look great on that car. I think metallic is important for a more square-edged American classic as it will help define the surface transitions and keep the car from looking too flat. Something on the darker side of a silver-blue family would look great - not a purple-blue, and too dark because the car will get lost or look out of place in too modern a color.

Some variation of a period appropriate shade will work best.

Thinking outside the box here, what about a dark Brewster green with a subtle fine metallic in it?

Either way, keep the wheels!
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Vehicles
      '96 LX450
      06-10-2019 01:48 PM #17

19. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2019 06:00 PM #18

Personally I'm diggin' the blue.

06-10-2019 06:14 PM #19
      If you keep the cabin red I'd choose

Make it a pearlescent. Or can't-go-wrong-black. Or a dark purple o'er red would be good.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

21. 06-10-2019 06:25 PM #20
      IMO the car looks dull in dark colors. Like the '66 Chevy, these cars turn into rectangles with dark colors unless there's high gloss or flake in them. I would go with lighter colors.

The '65 has nice long straight lines with horizontal accent lines. To make it pop I would go with pearl paint, so the slight curves that it does have would catch the light and give the slab sided car some depth.

Red pearl, white pearl, or even a classic candy apple red paint job would look killer on that car.

Red or white will go with the top and interior you already have too.

Lastly, I agree, the car's not original so you don't have to have that certain hue of red, but red in another hue is still a good choice. Even though we call things "keepers", keepers seem to get sold every day.

And there's a reason the cliche "resale red" exist, it'll be more popular when you want to move it.

There. I've convinced myself, it must be red or white, no substitutions

22. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 07:57 PM #21
      Gray/Grey/Gris
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-10-2019 11:21 PM #22
      White or gray with a red interior is killer.

Vehicles
      06-11-2019 01:23 PM #23
      My concern now is that I've read the old pigments are not available which means the old codes might not be right.* I went through paintref.com and found a color similar on my screen that may work.* Let me layout some of the info below:

Original color is Target Red.* I went through the paint ref and saw the color they used for the box displaying the color.* Obviously take it with a grain of salt but, when i see original paint Target Red it does look darker than what I have on my car (and many others):

This is Audi Amulet Red.* Looks similar on the screen and the sample to Target Red:

This is VW Tornado Red.* As far as "bright" reds go, this would probably be my favorite, we have a history together:

25. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-11-2019 01:33 PM #24
      CMYK or RGB formulas won't be much of a help, as it's literally a different world. No, the old paint formulas are likely not transferable to modern pigments either, but they certainly should be able to get the color right once you have a target color that you like.

Your screen is of little help unless you have a calibrated monitor, which is extremely unlikely. Macs are pretty good out of the box, but PCs use firmware, video 'cards' and monitors from different suppliers. It's better than it was 20 years ago, but you can't rely on screen colors to nail anything down, especially since monitors all work in the RGB colorspace, which emits light rather than reflects it.

Let it get you close, then narrow it down by looking at samples from a physical book at the paint shop.

06-11-2019 02:13 PM #25
      Ferrari's Azzurro Metallic looks pretty good over red:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ari-328-gts-4/
      -Dave
      1995.5 S6 2.2T
      2008 Passat 2.0T
      2016 Touareg V6 Lux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast