VWVortex.com - New 2.0T MPG issue, is something wrong?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 43

    Thread: New 2.0T MPG issue, is something wrong?

    1. 06-10-2019 07:32 PM #1
      Recently purchased a 2.0T SE with tech. It's been driven by me approximately 40 miles, car has 50 miles total. About 12 of the miles is highway. Nothing heavy in the back and normal driving.

      The car is saying I have averaged a total of 14mpg, no where near the sticker or other members experiences.

      I was expecting somewhere around 22 to 25mpg. Any idea what could be wrong? Even the V6s do way better than this.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2015
      Location
      Bangor, Maine
      Posts
      1,009
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      06-10-2019 08:03 PM #2
      I’d do at least a full tank and report back.

    4. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,034
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      06-10-2019 08:14 PM #3
      Good lord. Dont even worry about your mpgs for a few thousand miles and when you do look at it over a longer period. Your car is brand new...let it break in.

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. 06-10-2019 09:38 PM #4
      Reset your average. The car may have been sat idling for quite a bit of time at the dealer for whatever reason (checks, inspections, etc). And that can be throwing off your calculated average.






      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    7. Member snobrdrdan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2008
      Location
      Southeast Michigan
      Posts
      15,754
      06-11-2019 05:44 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by karstgeo View Post
      good lord. Dont even worry about your mpgs for a few thousand miles and when you do look at it over a longer period. your car is brand new...let it break in.
      ^^
      all of this

    8. 07-31-2019 02:23 PM #6
      Now at 1300 miles, last tank 14mpg....mix of city and highway rpms never really going over 4k....no error codes etc. any ideas?

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2018
      Posts
      138
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford KA (Germany); 2018 VW Atlas SE w/ Tech (HighBeamAssist & Adaptive Lane Assist)
      07-31-2019 02:55 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by audifan22 View Post
      Now at 1300 miles, last tank 14mpg....mix of city and highway rpms never really going over 4k....no error codes etc. any ideas?
      14mpg .. Wow.

      I would do some tracking apps with mileage and gas pumps.

      at the end of the day I would take that data and the car and bring it to the dealer/service.

    10. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,034
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      07-31-2019 03:09 PM #8
      Again, patience. Have you hand-calc'd a tank i.e. fill it up, write down the odo, drive it, fill it, write down gallons and odo and do the math? Do you have your mpg on the info/dash set to "since start" or "since refuel?". The 2.0 should be doing really well around town (at least 20) and closer to 30 on the highway. Also, please have a realistic expectation of what "city" driving is - what is your average speed over the tank? The info system tells you on the "since refuel" screen. I'd wait until at least 5K miles before I started heading to the dealer.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    11. 07-31-2019 09:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by audifan22 View Post
      Now at 1300 miles, last tank 14mpg....mix of city and highway rpms never really going over 4k....no error codes etc. any ideas?
      Run this quick test:

      1. Drive at steady state speed at 70mph
      2. Set cruise control.
      3. Read instantaneous economy for MPG. Should hover around 30mpg. My VR6 can do this.

      If could be as simple as driving style to tire pressure to vehicle/engine issue.





      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    12. Member ice4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 5th, 2017
      Location
      DEN
      Posts
      3,844
      Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-02-2019 05:08 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      Again, patience. Have you hand-calc'd a tank i.e. fill it up, write down the odo, drive it, fill it, write down gallons and odo and do the math? Do you have your mpg on the info/dash set to "since start" or "since refuel?". The 2.0 should be doing really well around town (at least 20) and closer to 30 on the highway. Also, please have a realistic expectation of what "city" driving is - what is your average speed over the tank? The info system tells you on the "since refuel" screen. I'd wait until at least 5K miles before I started heading to the dealer.
      I was going to say- you can NEVER fully trust the OBC. To truly determine fuel economy you need to measure how many miles between tank fill ups and then divide by the amount of gallons on your receipt.

    13. Member Hfqkhal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2018
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      508
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion Black
      08-02-2019 07:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I was going to say- you can NEVER fully trust the OBC. To truly determine fuel economy you need to measure how many miles between tank fill ups and then divide by the amount of gallons on your receipt.
      My OBC has been accurate. One really needs to also look at the average speed too. I do agree like was said before and what I do is to reset of current trip based on the trip like when on a highway stretch for a good amount of distance and do that calculation. Do the same for city driving. I found it to be dead on


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build

    14. 08-04-2019 09:21 AM #12
      I always calculate the miles by hand. Last tank 14.1 mpg, mostly city a little highway.

      Did the 70mpg flat highway cruise control instantaneous economy read out hovers between 25-28 mpg.

      Wheels are 20" oem mejorada at 35 psi.

      Clearly something wrong, dealer will just try to blame driving habits although its driven at less than 3500 rpm pretty much at all times.

      Dont think "break in" for next few thousand miles will make any significant impact. Any ideas on what I can advise the dealer to troubleshoot?

    15. 08-04-2019 09:45 AM #13
      Your highway MPG appears correct so engine is healthy. The engine will only get better as you break in.

      If your city MPG is so bad I think it is your driving style. Heavy accelerating and late braking. Dont take it offensively as I am just stating what the numbers you providing are kind of alluding to.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    16. Junior Member kkress's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2017
      Location
      Dayton, OH
      Posts
      66
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas 2.0t SEL, 2015 Jetta TDI SE, VCDS
      08-05-2019 11:00 AM #14
      We have a set of Prizma and Mejorada wheels. The prizma will do better than Mejorada, maybe 10% +/-. Lower profile tires are generally not as good on economy. And the Mejorada's are very heavy. Even with those, we've never had any trip except from garage to the road as bad as 14 mpg. Must be doing some significant idling, running E85, hill climbing without descent (tough to do), or just a heavy, heavy foot. We're usually closer to 28-32 in the summer months and 26-28 in winter months. Mostly country drives.

    17. 08-08-2019 09:16 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kkress View Post
      We have a set of Prizma and Mejorada wheels. The prizma will do better than Mejorada, maybe 10% +/-. Lower profile tires are generally not as good on economy. And the Mejorada's are very heavy. Even with those, we've never had any trip except from garage to the road as bad as 14 mpg. Must be doing some significant idling, running E85, hill climbing without descent (tough to do), or just a heavy, heavy foot. We're usually closer to 28-32 in the summer months and 26-28 in winter months. Mostly country drives.
      It just doesnt add up. Calculated new tank by hand again this morning, exactly 14.1 mpg, mix of highway and city. As stated prior rpm rarely exceeds 3500 rpm. My wife does have it idle with remote start while loading up the kids in the car seats, so there is idle time but not crazy amounts. No hill climbing this is in Florida.

      Even if I have a "heavy foot" which isnt the case here I dont think anyone else has reported continuous 14mpg now with over 1500 miles on the car.

      Going on a trip in a few weeks mostly highway, I'll test it then, but are there actual things a dealer can look at to diagnose and possibly solve the issue such as oxygen sensor etc..

    18. Junior Member kkress's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2017
      Location
      Dayton, OH
      Posts
      66
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas 2.0t SEL, 2015 Jetta TDI SE, VCDS
      08-08-2019 10:43 AM #16
      Sounds like a trip to the dealer. Not sure what they'll do but I'd expect anything from, "your driving style" to, "we actually found an issue and are waiting on parts to arrive". I'm surprised a MIL isn't displayed if something is wrong. Or the trip will definitely tell you for sure of a problem. The first part of any trip is poor mileage, as the engine is warming up, thicker oil, etc. It's after that the mpg really climbs. So if you're driving 5 mile trips and then it's off for awhile, I'd expect something low like 14. If you're doing 30 mile trips, I'd expect low 20's to low 30's.

    19. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2018
      Location
      Sammamish, WA
      Posts
      87
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL V6 4Motion
      08-09-2019 01:04 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by audifan22 View Post
      It just doesnt add up. Calculated new tank by hand again this morning, exactly 14.1 mpg, mix of highway and city. As stated prior rpm rarely exceeds 3500 rpm. My wife does have it idle with remote start while loading up the kids in the car seats, so there is idle time but not crazy amounts. No hill climbing this is in Florida.

      Even if I have a "heavy foot" which isnt the case here I dont think anyone else has reported continuous 14mpg now with over 1500 miles on the car.

      Going on a trip in a few weeks mostly highway, I'll test it then, but are there actual things a dealer can look at to diagnose and possibly solve the issue such as oxygen sensor etc..
      It seems like your calculated mileage agrees with the computer. It should be doing better than that for city only driving. What does it show for average speed?

    20. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,034
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      08-09-2019 03:07 PM #18
      How many miles are on this vehicle now? Have you done a 100% highway cruise with it where you reset the "since start" average once you are cruising on the highway (zero acceleration in the dataset)?
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    21. Member Hfqkhal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2018
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      508
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion Black
      08-09-2019 04:37 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      How many miles are on this vehicle now? Have you done a 100% highway cruise with it where you reset the "since start" average once you are cruising on the highway (zero acceleration in the dataset)?
      Also what where the weather conditions and what is the A/C is set at?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build

    22. Member *DesertFox*'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2017
      Posts
      220
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL Premium, 2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 1966 VW Beetle
      08-09-2019 06:48 PM #20
      Did you have a headwind......low tire pressure....leaking gas tank... was the car dirty....were your windows open.....

    23. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 25th, 2019
      Location
      Philly Burbs
      Posts
      33
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion, 2017 Explorer Sport
      08-10-2019 10:23 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      How many miles are on this vehicle now? Have you done a 100% highway cruise with it where you reset the "since start" average once you are cruising on the highway (zero acceleration in the dataset)?
      This will be the most telling. My Explorer OBC regularly tells me that I am getting 14mpg around town, and even tells me I have 50 miles to empty when the fuel gauge shows a shade over 1/4 tank. A fill up at that notification only required about 10.5 gallons in a 17.9 gallon tank. Different vehicle, but same results. The algorithm for the computer calculation isn't exact, and frequent stop/starts in town do consume more fuel. Even with a lead foot and an aftermarket tune I get 26mpg on the highway cruising at 80mph.

      We are taking the Atlas to Boston next week, so this will be my first time on a road trip with it.
      2019 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion (Stock), 2017 Ford Explorer Sport (Not Stock)

    24. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2007
      Posts
      66
      Vehicles
      Touareg & CC Executives
      08-12-2019 12:24 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by audifan22 View Post
      As stated prior rpm rarely exceeds 3500 rpm.
      You are lugging your engine... it has a turbocharger... wind up those RPMs... Spool up the turbo... it’s all about the boost pressure.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2011
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      278
      Vehicles
      2016 Audi A6 2.0T Quattro, 2008 Porsche C2S, 2016 VW Golf TSI S
      08-12-2019 09:25 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by OsirisTDI View Post
      You are lugging your engine... it has a turbocharger... wind up those RPMs... Spool up the turbo... it’s all about the boost pressure.
      That is not lugging. You cannot lug the engine if you have an A/T and leave it in drive. More boost and higher rpms leads to lower mpg, by the way.

    26. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,034
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      08-12-2019 10:17 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by VW/Porsche Fahrer View Post
      That is not lugging. You cannot lug the engine if you have an A/T and leave it in drive. More boost and higher rpms leads to lower mpg, by the way.
      Yeah - not sure there, you aren't really lugging it but the TCU map will favor lowering RPMs as much as possible and sometimes you just have to really get on the gas to have it shift down to jump the RPMs up...in those cases you may lug it somewhat.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    27. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2007
      Posts
      66
      Vehicles
      Touareg & CC Executives
      08-14-2019 08:26 PM #25
      A neighbor stopped by to “show-off” his new (same build as the OP) Atlas... my first up-close look at the Atlas... it made me think of this post when he told me that his fuel consumption is higher than expected. I noticed the 20 inch wheel and tire set-up... that is a lot of unsprung weight for a 4 cylinder.

      Maybe try Porsche spec tire rubber... the Atlas OE tires are 8-9 pounds heavier than a N spec tire for the 20 inch wheels.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •