Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear Muffler Delete FWD Sportwagen

Vehicles
      2016 Golf Sportwagen S, 2019 Tiguan S 4Motion
      06-11-2019 11:19 AM #1
      Tried searching around but didn’t find much. Has anyone with a FWD Sportwagen (single exit exhaust) done a rear muffler delete? I want to get a little more sound and the $600 for the Borla system or more for AWE system doesn’t make sense to me.

Just trying to get an idea of how loud or droney it would be with the rest of the exhaust stock.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 20th, 2016 GSW TSI, 1987 Westfalia
      06-11-2019 12:00 PM #2
      I am in the same situation. I want to delete the muffler to achieve the R wagon quad exhaust look. I know that if you delete the resonator and the muffler you will get a bit of noise. If you want to achieve some noise you are better off changing the downpipe.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf SportWagen 4Motion (Silk Blue)
      06-11-2019 08:45 PM #3
      I have a 4Motion but I’d imagine that the sound would be relatively similar.

I did a muffler swap, not delete, and it did have a bit of drone. The stock resonator is pretty restrictive and was the culprit of most of the unpleasant noises- it sounded very “echoey” (but not in a good way) around 3K RPM. I’ve since swapped it out to an SLP resonator and the car sounds much better.

All this to say, if you do a muffler delete, consider the possibility that you may be wanting/needing to address the resonator as well. It’ll most likely still be cheaper than an aftermarket setup though

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 04:05 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ACE1110 View Post
      I have a 4Motion but I’d imagine that the sound would be relatively similar.

I did a muffler swap, not delete, and it did have a bit of drone. The stock resonator is pretty restrictive and was the culprit of most of the unpleasant noises- it sounded very “echoey” (but not in a good way) around 3K RPM. I’ve since swapped it out to an SLP resonator and the car sounds much better.

All this to say, if you do a muffler delete, consider the possibility that you may be wanting/needing to address the resonator as well. It’ll most likely still be cheaper than an aftermarket setup though

Interesting. I figured with the resonators up front, even a delete wouldn’t be bad but maybe I’ll consider a muffler swap instead as I don’t want to end up changing out the resonator.

Thanks for the tip.

7. 06-12-2019 09:20 AM #5
      I'm in the same boat. Spoke with shop here in SoCal and the guy recommended just doing a resonator delete. He said it would give a little bit of sound and any cat back system would probably be too noisy for my liking. I'm planning on doing it soon.

8. 06-12-2019 10:48 PM #6
      Well I ended up doing it today. I will say out of a scale from 0-10, the resi delete increases sound to about a 1.5 a best. Not much sound if any.

9. 06-12-2019 10:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by velowgn View Post
      Well I ended up doing it today. I will say out of a scale from 0-10, the resi delete increases sound to about a 1.5 a best. Not much sound if any.
      Any chance you’ll put the resonator back in and swap the muffler?

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf SportWagen 4Motion (Silk Blue)
      06-12-2019 11:40 PM #8
      Both the mufflers and resonators are very restrictive. Only addressing one results in a minimal change in sound as you said.

Swapping both out made a big difference in sound on my car. It’s noticeably louder than stock but still totally reasonable for daily use. If you wanted something a bit louder still, you could run an aftermarket resonator with a muffler delete.

11. 06-13-2019 08:59 AM #9
      Yeah at this point I'm just gonna run it. If I decide later on that I want more sound, I'll go with a AWE Touring setup. This was more of rolling the dice to see what happened.

12. Junior Member DasTurboWagen's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-13-2019 09:16 AM #10
      That's disappointing to hear. Do you have factory dual outlet or single outlet exhaust? The resonator delete sounds great on the GTI so I don't get why it wouldn't sound similar. Unless with the additional piping, there is another resonator on there before the rear muffler.

13. 06-13-2019 09:33 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DasTurboWagen View Post
      That's disappointing to hear. Do you have factory dual outlet or single outlet exhaust? The resonator delete sounds great on the GTI so I don't get why it wouldn't sound similar. Unless with the additional piping, there is another resonator on there before the rear muffler.
      Single muffler with dual outlet tips. That other resi before the muffler is so small I cant imagine it making a big difference but maybe so.