VWVortex.com - Rear fog lights ? DIY
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear fog lights ? DIY

1. 03-12-2018 10:51 PM #1
      I know a number of forum members have commented that they wish the Atlas had rear fog lights. I am one of them who wished that — so figured out a way to get them!

Before:

After:

To do this, I (1) replaced the factory light switch with one that has a rear fog option, (2) replaced the left (drivers side) white reverse lamp with a bright red lamp, and (3) adjusted some adaptation channels using OBDEleven so that flipping on the rear fog switch would activate that bright red lamp. This means I only have one white reverse lamp, which wouldn’t be my first choice but which is street legal and not uncommon especially on European imports. Because I swapped out my dim, incandescent reverse lamp on the passenger side with a bright white LED, I find just one white light still gives me enough light to backup (although I have the "rear fog" activate when in reverse also, to give extra light).

To get the full effect, you will need:
      • VCDS, OBDEleven Pro, or another VAG-COM coding tool (I used OBDEleven, ordered from ECS Tuning)
      • A replacement headlight switch (or Light Control Module/LCM) with a rear fog light option, often called a “Euroswitch,” which you can order from your dealer, ECS Tuning, Amazon, eBay, etc. (VW Part # 5GG 941 431 worked for me)
      • A bright red LED 194 wedge bulb that is compatible with the reverse light fixture (I special ordered mine from deAutoLED)
      • A trim removal tool (I ordered from deAutoLED)

Here’s the instructions:
      • Replace the light switch, which is surprisingly easy (pull out the old one, unplug it, plug in the new one, and slide it in). You just twist the old light switch a certain way and you can pull it right out. The proper wiring for the rear fog is already run and part of the plug. This video shows you all you need to know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ir0Q6PX4Zo
      • Replace the driver side rear reverse light with the red LED. To do this, you need to (1) open the tailgate, (2) find the tail light access panel on the inside of the tailgate door and pry it open with a trim removal tool, (3) squeeze the black tabs and pull out the white plastic housing that holds the bulbs, (4) swap out the reverse bulb for the red LED replacement, and (5) carefully put it all back together. Inner tail light access panel: http://i.imgur.com/b8C32Og.jpg .... What part looks like (on non-Premium Atlas) after it is pulled out: http://i.imgur.com/RmNsyqN.jpg
      • The final step is to make a few tweaks to the coding.
      • ----First, tell the computer that your light switch has a rear fog option by going to Module 09 Central Electrics > Adaptations > Außenlicht_uebergreifend > LDS_mit_Nebel_Schlusslicht and changing “no” to “yes.”
      • ----Second, tell the computer that your left reverse light is a rear fog light by going to Module 09 Central Electrics > Leuchte28RFL LC11 > Lichtfunktion B 28 and changing “not active” to “Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt”
      • ----If you stop there, then the light will ALSO continue to come on when you go into reverse. I prefer it that way as the red light gives me some extra illumination. If you prefer the light ONLY come on when the rear fogs are on, then you should change Lichtfunktion A 28 from “Rückfahrlicht” to “not active”
      • I wasn’t quite satisfied that the housing for the reverse bulb was properly projecting the light of the red LED bulb to be bright enough to other drivers for rear fog light purposes, so decided to add a little brightness through the factory tails. The tail lights on the Atlas run at 10% power (with the outer tails kicking up to 100% power when the brakes are activated). Using OBD11, I programmed the tail lights to run at 40% power when the rear fogs are activated. Even though they look bright in the picture above, it's only 40%. The brake light still kicks them up to 100% power, which seems to still be a noticeable enough difference for someone travelling behind me. If you want to play around with this, I suggest you read dv52's excellent white paper entitled "How MQB platform vehicles (like the Mk7 Golf) control external lights -preliminary observations" combined with this post (for SEL Premium): http://forum.obdeleven.com/post/13736/thread

If you do this, just remember that the rear fog light should only be used when it is particularly foggy or there are other weather conditions that greatly reduce visibility. Don't be one of those guys that gives rear fog lights a bad name... Also, anytime you mess with the coding, you do so at your own risk! Finally, this worked for me and my Atlas, but may not work for you or your Atlas.
      Last edited by Atlas123; 03-12-2018 at 11:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-13-2018 04:22 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Atlas123 View Post
      Also, anytime you mess with the coding, you do so at your own risk!
      Nice write up. But this.
      Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium R-Line 4Motion
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      03-13-2018 04:39 PM #3
      Very cool/nice work! I just think that any light mods (increasing brightness especially) need to be done with caution as to not blind other drivers/increase risk to other drivers near you.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-13-2018 10:29 PM #4
      Thanks both, and totally agreed.

The rear fog switch will only come on when conditions warrant it, and I’m confident the rear fog light plus boosted tails will be just right in those circumstance.

The “caveat coder” warning is sincere, but I personally considered the two minor tweaks to BCM adaptations to be about as low risk as they get.

If you are gun shy about this, you could also just code the reverse light (after swapping the bulb for a red one) as a FRONT fog, and skip the euroswitch and the one associated coding step. However, the rear fogs and front fogs would be on/off together and you’d want to be careful to limit their use.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '18 Atlas Highline
      03-15-2018 05:25 PM #5
      Does it get really foggy where you live?

This has always been a mod in VWs. Most other drivers will just think you have one brake light burnt out and you're riding the brakes here in North America where the option is not available!

8. 03-16-2018 07:51 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kootenaydub View Post
      Does it get really foggy where you live?

This has always been a mod in VWs. Most other drivers will just think you have one brake light burnt out and you're riding the brakes here in North America where the option is not available!
      Less fog for me as some other inclement weather that reduces visibility. I’m in the US and agree most of us are ignorant of the light. But I’d much rather have the guy cruising down the highway way too fast in a blizzard with no visibility think I have a broken brake light than not see me until he rear ends me!

There are some VWs that have an empty spot for a rear fog light because they are marketed in Europe. The Atlas isn’t, and so doesn’t, which is why I had to swap out a reverse bulb. However, you are right it works basically the same.

9. 03-16-2018 08:12 PM #7
      what model euro switch did you use? i would like to use one for independent fogs. link to the euro switch?

10. 03-16-2018 11:27 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by atlas titan View Post
      what model euro switch did you use? i would like to use one for independent fogs. link to the euro switch?
      Model # is listed in my post (Part # 5GG 941 431). I found on eBay.

If by independent fogs, you mean you want to be able to pull the fogs on when the switch is turned to “OFF,” then that is NOT the model for you. Fogs can be activated in auto, park, or on settings but not “OFF.” (I am not sure if any OEM VW switch allows independent fogs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t since fog lights are for foggy conditions and you shouldn’t be driving in fog without lights.)
      Last edited by Atlas123; 03-18-2018 at 11:51 PM.

11. 03-16-2018 11:44 PM #9
      Model # is listed in my post (Part # 5GG 941 431). I found on eBay.

If by independent fogs, you mean you want to be able to pull the fogs on when the switch is turned to “OFF,” then that is NOT the model for you. Fogs can be activated in auto, park, or on settings but not “OFF.” (I am not sure if any OEM Vw switch allows independent fogs, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t since fog lights are for foggy conditions and you shouldn’t be driving in fog with lights.)
      i think it is the switch. i want the fogs on with the DRL on. any fitment issues from the ebay one? i heard it wasn't oem and has some play when installed.

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL AWD "R-Line", 1979 Westfalia, 1998 New Beetle
      03-16-2018 11:49 PM #10
      What if, instead of losing one of your white back-up lights, you just coded the left outer tail light to increase intensity when the rear fog is switched on? Basically, exactly what you did minus changing over the reverse light....

13. 03-18-2018 11:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbugstuff View Post
      What if, instead of losing one of your white back-up lights, you just coded the left outer tail light to increase intensity when the rear fog is switched on? Basically, exactly what you did minus changing over the reverse light....
      I've thought about this, and might switch to that if my OCD can't handle the lack of symmetry. But other then offending my sense of symmetry, I don't miss the second reverse light. The white LED reverse light I have on the passenger side seems to be several times brighter than the stock incandescent, so even with 1 light missing I still see better in reverse than when it was fresh from the dealer. Law where I am (and, as I understand it, probably everywhere) requires only one reverse lamp. I also think that having a separate light, with a deeper red and brighter light, is more effective as a rear fog and will reduce the likelihood that someone confuses the rear fog lights for brake lights.
      Last edited by Atlas123; 03-18-2018 at 11:32 PM.

14. 03-18-2018 11:59 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by atlas titan View Post
      i think it is the switch. i want the fogs on with the DRL on. any fitment issues from the ebay one? i heard it wasn't oem and has some play when installed.
      There are different ones on eBay... I found one that claimed to be "OE" and sent a message to the seller asking them to specifically confirm that it is OE (and they did). I saw the same complaints as you and was worried, and didn't believe the assurances, but the part seems to fit and work perfectly. Looks like it could actually be OE, but I'm not sure as I don't have the exact model to compare. This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-Headligh...w/161491498661

Vehicles
      03-19-2018 07:50 AM #13
      So actually noticed a Mercedes on the way to work this morning with a rear fog! I thought it had a bad brake light (bad meaning on) but same as your Atlas! Very cool and did make it very visible in the low-light dawn conditions. I assume this was probably a stock feature on it.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

16. 03-31-2018 03:26 PM #14
      Hey all,

So I'm going back and forth between the Tiguan and the Atlas -- from what I understand -- nothing too uncommon these days.

What makes thing "interesting" for me is I live in Germany. The Atlas offers the space we need and 10-13 litres per 100/km isn't bad for a vehicle of this size.

Because I am only interested in SEL Premium for either vehicle, getting the digital cockpit over into KPH shouldn't be that difficult -- I assume its a setting somewhere. What I am unsure of -- is the rear fog light.

I can get one of these in Germany and bring it over with me to the US when I take delivery of the vehicle. The question is coding, if its necessary.

I assume this would be a plug-in + coding procedure to recode the drivers-side fog light to come on for the rear foglight as turn off the reverse light for that function, then simply replace the bulb from white to red and be done with it.

Any thoughts on this or how I could go about doing such a thing?

17. 03-31-2018 10:11 PM #15
      Yep, you can do what you are thinking. Here is the DIY linked below.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/#/topics/9074929

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas and 2012 Golf TDI
      04-02-2018 07:50 AM #16
      Part of this has helped me in my search to use the rear fog option to "activate" another light. Now I just need to determine which "wire" at the Euro Switch is for the rear fog so that when the switch is pulled it will turn "on" the other light source I am wanting to activate.

Thank you for the coding!

19. 04-02-2018 07:58 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Part of this has helped me in my search to use the rear fog option to "activate" another light. Now I just need to determine which "wire" at the Euro Switch is for the rear fog so that when the switch is pulled it will turn "on" the other light source I am wanting to activate.

Thank you for the coding!
      The Atlas is already wired for the Euro switch so you just need to swap the part. No need to add a new jumper like you might read about in some other cars if you are just trying to get it to recognize the rear fog switch function or to reprogram Amy stock light with a Leuchte channel to react to it. However, if you are looking to splice it for something else, there are DIYs about adding the rear fog light cable for cars that dont have it that can probably teach you which one it is.

20. 04-05-2018 07:51 PM #18
      Thank you - we really appreciate the support and choosing our LEDs.

We can make a listing or anyone looking to do this can email [email protected] for the same LEDs.

Thank you

Lifetime Warranty & Support | Free Shipping within the US | LEDs Tested to work and look good in your car | Customer Service is our #1 Priority - We care what you install in your car!

21. 04-26-2018 04:33 AM #19
      Thanks,
      do you remember the socket of the led light bulb?

Vehicles
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      04-27-2018 06:38 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
      Hey all,

So I'm going back and forth between the Tiguan and the Atlas -- from what I understand -- nothing too uncommon these days.

What makes thing "interesting" for me is I live in Germany. The Atlas offers the space we need and 10-13 litres per 100/km isn't bad for a vehicle of this size.

Because I am only interested in SEL Premium for either vehicle, getting the digital cockpit over into KPH shouldn't be that difficult -- I assume its a setting somewhere. What I am unsure of -- is the rear fog light.

I can get one of these in Germany and bring it over with me to the US when I take delivery of the vehicle. The question is coding, if its necessary.

I assume this would be a plug-in + coding procedure to recode the drivers-side fog light to come on for the rear foglight as turn off the reverse light for that function, then simply replace the bulb from white to red and be done with it.

Any thoughts on this or how I could go about doing such a thing?
      AutoScout and Mobile show a handful of imported Atlas'... you could always one of the dealers to inquire as to how they made the car legal.

23. 04-27-2018 05:02 PM #21
      my Atlas arrived in Bremerhaven a few days ago and is currently in customs.
      I will drive with US license plates for a while and then make all required conversion to register it in Germany.
      I can share my experience with people interested.

Vehicles
      See Signature Line
      08-19-2018 10:13 PM #22
      Thanks both, and totally agreed.

The rear fog switch will only come on when conditions warrant it, and I’m confident the rear fog light plus boosted tails will be just right in those circumstance.

The “caveat coder” warning is sincere, but I personally considered the two minor tweaks to BCM adaptations to be about as low risk as they get.

If you are gun shy about this, you could also just code the reverse light (after swapping the bulb for a red one) as a FRONT fog, and skip the euroswitch and the one associated coding step. However, the rear fogs and front fogs would be on/off together and you’d want to be careful to limit their use.
      what is the steps to do it w/o the euro switch? also, would it still be the left reverse light only that would be a designated rear fog
      CURRENT: 1987 Golf Cabriolet Alpine White (QQ plates applied)
      2008 Golf R32 (#959) 4mo Candy White
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4mo Mocha Brown Metallic (Daddy Mobile)
      2018 Atlas SEL-P 4mo Plat. Grey (Wifey's Twin Mobile)
      PAST: 2018 Tiguan SEL-P 4mo Plat. Grey (Traded)

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL FWD R-line 3.6L
      06-11-2019 05:32 PM #23
      There are several VW part numbers out there for the European headlight switch module (see www.ecstuning.com). If anyone has installed one of these switches in their Atlas to add rear fog light control and successfully coded its operation, please post some info for us. I understand the VCDS coding OK, but which switch is compatible with our Atlas and provides the most control of the lighting options?

Automatic European Light Switch modules w/Auto, Park, Heads, Front & RearFogs, C/L Home etc.:

1K0 941 431 AS REH
      3C8 941 431 A XSH
      3C8 941 431 A XSHKT
      3C8 941 431 AX SH
      3C8 941 431 AX SVMKT
      5G0 941 431 BD WZU
      5G0 941 431 BD
      5GG 941-431 D BRA
      5GM 941 431 B
      5ND 941 431 B
      5ND 941 431 BKT
      7L6 941 431 AJ 3X1

Thanks,

TW
      Last edited by TWs/VW; 06-11-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Vehicles
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      06-13-2019 12:07 AM #24
      Did you try this thread?
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 06-13-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Vehicles
      06-13-2019 10:11 AM #25
      Saw a Mercedes on my commute today and thought "why is only one of his brake lights on?" - euro rear fog! It's a cool feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast