VWVortex.com - Well my daily driver is totaled, on to new things..
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well my daily driver is totaled, on to new things..

Hybrid View

1. 06-11-2019 10:36 PM #1
      Hydroplaned on the highway.. counter steered, nothing, absolutely zero control, it was like ice.

Smashed into a tree sideways, airbags blown, B pillar and roof caved in... definitely totaled.

I guess I will be driving the Ascent more often and the STI, until I can find the replacement I always wanted.. a 2002/2003 bugeye wrx wagon to restore like new and daily! No more car payments for me.

Iím just thankful to be alive, just bruised up and shaken, they say your life flashes and itís true!

They had to cut trees to yank it out.

The new daily goal:

2. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      06-11-2019 11:07 PM #2
      Glad you are ok!
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat
      06-11-2019 11:11 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Glad you are ok!
      No kidding -- crushed B pillars and trees moving fast in the direction of your head are no fun.
      It was forever ago, but I remember really liking the bugeye WRX. Have a blast with it.
      You look nice today.

4. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-12-2019 01:32 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Rattle View Post
      but I remember really liking the bugeye WRX. Have a blast with it.
      Everytime I get to drive one I have fun. Even just doing a basic test drive for a state inspection.
      With a little work they can be a lot of fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      ďOnly those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.Ē -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      06-12-2019 02:01 PM #5
      glad your ok.

cant go wrong with a bug eye wagon, i loved mine. Go for a 03 model year if you can, their transmission isn't as glass like as the 02

6. 06-11-2019 11:07 PM #6
      Wow you must have been going way too fast for conditions!

Glad you are OK and no other drivers were involved.

That's a nice choice, hope your insurance rates don't increase too much. Perhaps you aren't going to make a claim.

7. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-11-2019 11:08 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AC1DD View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      ďOnly those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.Ē -T.S. Eliot

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2019 10:47 AM #8
      That could've been much, much worse. I'm glad you're relatively okay and were in a modern car with some real structure.

And what were those conditions? Do you always know when you're approaching standing water? We'd like to think so, but we don't.

Glad you are OK and no other drivers were involved.

That's a nice choice, hope your insurance rates don't increase too much. Perhaps you aren't going to make a claim.
      Oh, come on. It's a brand new car, so I think it's safe to say he's not going to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      You just had a serious accident in a modern car with advanced safety features and up to date crash structure and now you want to daily a 17 year old tin can? Hey, maybe that magical Subaru AWD will save you next time.

My wife got T-boned in an intersection two months ago and it totaled our 2015 Accord. It was scary how much the car deformed. We replaced it with a 2019 Accord thatís hopefully even safer. The accident made us rethink our priorities.
      As the owner of several tin cans (that I don't daily any more), let me say that the Bugeye Subaru is far removed from tin can status. Small cars were far safer even before that compared to the tin can days, but after that? It's mostly been incremental changes since that era. Would a new car be safer still? Sure, but it isn't exactly a death trap.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      06 4runner
      06-12-2019 11:03 AM #9
      Damn... Glad you're ok after that.

It's interesting when you a car you have had for under a year gets totaled, how you end up wanting something different.

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      06-12-2019 11:21 AM #10
      More dangerous than crash worthyness in USDM 2.0L Bugeye Subes is the lack of torque under 3000rpm. It's truly would dead.

11. 06-12-2019 11:30 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      That could've been much, much worse. I'm glad you're relatively okay and were in a modern car with some real structure.

And what were those conditions? Do you always know when you're approaching standing water? We'd like to think so, but we don't.

Oh, come on. It's a brand new car, so I think it's safe to say he's not going to eat it.

As the owner of several tin cans (that I don't daily any more), let me say that the Bugeye Subaru is far removed from tin can status. Small cars were far safer even before that compared to the tin can days, but after that? It's mostly been incremental changes since that era. Would a new car be safer still? Sure, but it isn't exactly a death trap.
      Yeah didnít think I was gonna make it, the car is a lease and itís definitely totaled.. airbags, B pillar, doors, everything scratched, cables ripped.

The rear of the car just broke loose out of nowhere, IMO it was the ****ty Goodyear tires.. I complained about them since the day I picked up the car, they are useless on water. I know I should had slowed down more due to them.

https://youtu.be/7Qo1bkSPZbg

I feel safe in Subarus, thereís a reason everyone in my family owns them and they have the most loyal customer base!
      The Civic was good, but Iím tired of payments and I want something more interesting, so old wrx it is.
      Last edited by Ilikewaffles; 06-12-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      06-12-2019 01:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      Yeah didnít think I was gonna make it, the car is a lease and itís definitely totaled.. airbags, B pillar, doors, everything scratched, cables ripped.

The rear of the car just broke loose out of nowhere, IMO it was the ****ty Goodyear tires.. I complained about them since the day I picked up the car, they are useless on water. I know I should had slowed down more due to them.

I feel safe in Subarus, thereís a reason everyone in my family owns them and they have the most loyal customer base!
      The Civic was good, but Iím tired of payments and I want something more interesting, so old wrx it is.
      That's scary. Car just rotated out of nowhere. Looks like it protected you pretty nicely though.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2014 CSG GTI
      06-12-2019 02:01 PM #13

HOLY CRAP. That was just like a good ol' regular afternoon Florida thunderstorm; I go thru those everyday without THAT happening. I didn't see any standing water in the video either........just suddenly everything went sideways. And people think good tires don't matter! Phhht. Glad you're ok, man.
      2014 CSG GTI

14. 06-12-2019 02:04 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-3 View Post
      HOLY CRAP. That was just like a good ol' regular afternoon Florida thunderstorm; I go thru those everyday without THAT happening. I didn't see any standing water in the video either........just suddenly everything went sideways. And people think good tires don't matter! Phhht. Glad you're ok, man.
      Iíll definitely be taking tires more seriously now, and avoiding goodyears like I was already doing previously, but this car came new with these tires which i hated.

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      06-12-2019 08:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-3 View Post
      agree, it doesn't seem to be a hard rain but you can see the puddle taking up the entire center lane right before the rear starts sliding. it's good that your ok OP and good that it was "only" the si and not sti.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      06-12-2019 02:32 PM #16

Wow - Reminds me of that Clarkson 1 series spin years ago.

Edit - I know this doesn't affect your situation, but this is why new tires should always go on the rear.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 06-12-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 CSG GTI
      06-12-2019 02:59 PM #17
      i drive my GTI like, well.........like it should be driven. Nothing stupid, though, I'm a bit too old for stupid.

When I first got my GTI, it had Pirelli P7's on it, worst tire EVER. I got rid of them quick, and put Michelins A/S on my car. They have good cornering and traction, are quiet, and excellent in lots of water which is what I care about down here; but not so good in the wear department. They lasted maybe 30k, if that.

Next I tried BFG g-force all seasons on my GTI. Got more than 40k on the first set, they grip like a jealous wife, have good cornering and traction and great in water too. Downside is they are very loud toward the end, as they wear. But, I just got another set of the BFG......I'll take loud over traction and control anytime.
      2014 CSG GTI

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-12-2019 03:03 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Wow - Reminds me of that Clarkson 1 series spin years ago.

Edit - I know this doesn't affect your situation, but this is why new tires should always go on the rear.
      Was just going to ask OP about this.

My VW dealership still tries to get me to rotate the tires with better tread to the front and I keep telling them know and explaining why. I even sent Youtube videos about this practice to the service manager and writer and I continue to hear them recommend doing it to other customers.

I put on lots of miles so I "rotate" my tires by buying two at a time, moving the rears to the front and having the new ones installed on the rear.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      06-13-2019 02:29 PM #19

That's crazy

Those tires must really be horrible. I'm fairly certain my Michelin X-ice tires have more reserve grip on ice in the same scenario/speed than those Goodyears have in the wet.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-11-2019 11:22 PM #20
      Glad you are alright.

New Si iirc, right?

21. 06-11-2019 11:29 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Glad you are alright.

New Si iirc, right?
      Yeah 2018, about 10 months old

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      06-12-2019 12:56 AM #22
      Glad you're alright after that.

Good luck with your plans! A clean bug-eye wagon always catches my attention the few times I see them on the road.

06-12-2019 02:38 AM #23
      Yeah 2018, about 10 months old
      Wow that sucks, but cars can be replaced.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      06-12-2019 05:42 AM #24
      You just had a serious accident in a modern car with advanced safety features and up to date crash structure and now you want to daily a 17 year old tin can? Hey, maybe that magical Subaru AWD will save you next time.

My wife got T-boned in an intersection two months ago and it totaled our 2015 Accord. It was scary how much the car deformed. We replaced it with a 2019 Accord thatís hopefully even safer. The accident made us rethink our priorities.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-12-2019 05:59 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      As long as he adds a Cobb short shifter he should be fine.

Glad you are ok OP. I have been in some serious accidents myself and it is indeed a scary experience. Good luck on your search for a bugeye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast