VWVortex.com - Well my daily driver is totaled, on to new things..
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well my daily driver is totaled, on to new things..

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-12-2019 11:29 AM #26
      What kind of tires come on those? I have replaced a few sets of OEM tires at <15k miles because they were worthless and scary in the rain.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-12-2019 11:30 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      That could've been much, much worse. I'm glad you're relatively okay and were in a modern car with some real structure.

And what were those conditions? Do you always know when you're approaching standing water? We'd like to think so, but we don't.

Oh, come on. It's a brand new car, so I think it's safe to say he's not going to eat it.

As the owner of several tin cans (that I don't daily any more), let me say that the Bugeye Subaru is far removed from tin can status. Small cars were far safer even before that compared to the tin can days, but after that? It's mostly been incremental changes since that era. Would a new car be safer still? Sure, but it isn't exactly a death trap.
      Yeah didnít think I was gonna make it, the car is a lease and itís definitely totaled.. airbags, B pillar, doors, everything scratched, cables ripped.

The rear of the car just broke loose out of nowhere, IMO it was the ****ty Goodyear tires.. I complained about them since the day I picked up the car, they are useless on water. I know I should had slowed down more due to them.

https://youtu.be/7Qo1bkSPZbg

I feel safe in Subarus, thereís a reason everyone in my family owns them and they have the most loyal customer base!
      The Civic was good, but Iím tired of payments and I want something more interesting, so old wrx it is.
      Last edited by Ilikewaffles; 06-12-2019 at 11:34 AM.

4. 06-12-2019 11:31 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      What kind of tires come on those? I have replaced a few sets of OEM tires at <15k miles because they were worthless and scary in the rain.
      Some Goodyear all seasons; I complained about them all the time because driving on water felt like ice.

I always hated goodyears and this seals it for me.

5. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      06-12-2019 11:32 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      You just had a serious accident in a modern car with advanced safety features and up to date crash structure and now you want to daily a 17 year old tin can? Hey, maybe that magical Subaru AWD will save you next time.

My wife got T-boned in an intersection two months ago and it totaled our 2015 Accord. It was scary how much the car deformed. We replaced it with a 2019 Accord thatís hopefully even safer. The accident made us rethink our priorities.
      Calls a Bugeye a tin can, owns a mkIV and an early Ď90s Ford truck.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2019 11:43 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      Yeah didnít think I was gonna make it, the car is a lease and itís definitely totaled.. airbags, B pillar, doors, everything scratched, cables ripped.

The rear of the car just broke loose out of nowhere, IMO it was the ****ty Goodyear tires.. I complained about them since the day I picked up the car, they are useless on water. I know I should had slowed down more due to them.

I feel safe in Subarus, thereís a reason everyone in my family owns them and they have the most loyal customer base!
      The Civic was good, but Iím tired of payments and I want something more interesting, so old wrx it is.
      I'm sure Goodyear has better tires than those were, but like different cars from the same company some are going to be better than others for intended use. The Eagle GAs that came on my GTI VR6 were absolutely horrible, though. At an autocross one of the other guys said "GA" stood for "God awful".

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Calls a Bugeye a tin can, owns a mkIV and an early Ď90s Ford truck.
      The MkIV was pretty good in its own right. I wouldn't hesitate to daily one because of crash safety. It's the other things that would keep me from dailying it.

Dat '90s truck doe.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      06-12-2019 12:01 PM #31
      If I were in your position, I'd daily the STI and get a sports car on the side. Having 2 WRX's seems a bit redundant.

8. 06-12-2019 12:42 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      If I were in your position, I'd daily the STI and get a sports car on the side. Having 2 WRX's seems a bit redundant.
      The STI has a built motor and a stupid ceramic segmented clutch because it has 408whp.. while I CAN daily drive it, and I will for a while.. I donít really want to do that long term, plus it averages 15mpg.

The old wrx will be kept stock for reliability and an easy/relaxing driving experience.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      06-12-2019 01:30 PM #33

That's scary. Car just rotated out of nowhere. Looks like it protected you pretty nicely though.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2014 CSG GTI
      06-12-2019 02:01 PM #34

HOLY CRAP. That was just like a good ol' regular afternoon Florida thunderstorm; I go thru those everyday without THAT happening. I didn't see any standing water in the video either........just suddenly everything went sideways. And people think good tires don't matter! Phhht. Glad you're ok, man.
      2014 CSG GTI

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      06-12-2019 02:01 PM #35
      glad your ok.

cant go wrong with a bug eye wagon, i loved mine. Go for a 03 model year if you can, their transmission isn't as glass like as the 02

12. 06-12-2019 02:04 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-3 View Post
      HOLY CRAP. That was just like a good ol' regular afternoon Florida thunderstorm; I go thru those everyday without THAT happening. I didn't see any standing water in the video either........just suddenly everything went sideways. And people think good tires don't matter! Phhht. Glad you're ok, man.
      Iíll definitely be taking tires more seriously now, and avoiding goodyears like I was already doing previously, but this car came new with these tires which i hated.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2019 02:13 PM #37
      Iíll definitely be taking tires more seriously now, and avoiding goodyears like I was already doing previously, but this car came new with these tires which i hated.
      Back in the mid '80s I had a set of Firestones on a Bug I had. Greasiest. Tires. Ever. I spun it after grabbing second in wet conditions (no standing water at all) on an off-camber left turn and I barely gave it any throttle. It was a very slow spin, as it took so little energy to do it. It was so slow that any other tire that I've ever had would've recovered in the middle of that spin. It was probably about 230-240ļ and my right rear tire hit the median on what should have been my left. I've never driven any car with radials that had less grip.

14. 06-12-2019 02:23 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Back in the mid '80s I had a set of Firestones on a Bug I had. Greasiest. Tires. Ever. I spun it after grabbing second in wet conditions (no standing water at all) on an off-camber left turn and I barely gave it any throttle. It was a very slow spin, as it took so little energy to do it. It was so slow that any other tire that I've ever had would've recovered in the middle of that spin. It was probably about 230-240ļ and my right rear tire hit the median on what should have been my left. I've never driven any car with radials that had less grip.
      Firestones are also on my **** list after the issues they had with Ford Explorers and my uncle was one of the victims. Goodyears are definitely now also on that list, Iíve only ever had bad experiences with them.

If the funds allow, Iíll go for Michelin.
      If funds are right, I usually stick with Falken/Sumitomo (same company).

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-12-2019 02:30 PM #39
      Look at the Tire Rack tests. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests

They generally test small groups of similar-priced tires together so there generally aren't huge performance differences in each group. Most tires do well in dry braking these days but if you compare the top-rated tires from one test to the budget ones in another (both sets in the same category), there are often HUGE differences in wet traction.

I put Michelin touring tires with the best wet traction I could find on my wife's car -- it sticks and barely feels different when it's raining. They do significantly better than this group of midrange performance tires in the rain.

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      06-12-2019 02:32 PM #40

Wow - Reminds me of that Clarkson 1 series spin years ago.

Edit - I know this doesn't affect your situation, but this is why new tires should always go on the rear.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 06-12-2019 at 02:39 PM.

17. 06-12-2019 02:45 PM #41

They generally test small groups of similar-priced tires together so there generally aren't huge performance differences in each group. Most tires do well in dry braking these days but if you compare the top-rated tires from one test to the budget ones in another (both sets in the same category), there are often HUGE differences in wet traction.

I put Michelin touring tires with the best wet traction I could find on my wife's car -- it sticks and barely feels different when it's raining. They do significantly better than this group of midrange performance tires in the rain.

Wow those are my tires, the Goodyear eagle sport all seasons.. no wonder they were so bad.

Vehicles
      2014 CSG GTI
      06-12-2019 02:59 PM #42
      i drive my GTI like, well.........like it should be driven. Nothing stupid, though, I'm a bit too old for stupid.

When I first got my GTI, it had Pirelli P7's on it, worst tire EVER. I got rid of them quick, and put Michelins A/S on my car. They have good cornering and traction, are quiet, and excellent in lots of water which is what I care about down here; but not so good in the wear department. They lasted maybe 30k, if that.

Next I tried BFG g-force all seasons on my GTI. Got more than 40k on the first set, they grip like a jealous wife, have good cornering and traction and great in water too. Downside is they are very loud toward the end, as they wear. But, I just got another set of the BFG......I'll take loud over traction and control anytime.
      2014 CSG GTI

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-12-2019 03:03 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Wow - Reminds me of that Clarkson 1 series spin years ago.

Edit - I know this doesn't affect your situation, but this is why new tires should always go on the rear.
      Was just going to ask OP about this.

My VW dealership still tries to get me to rotate the tires with better tread to the front and I keep telling them know and explaining why. I even sent Youtube videos about this practice to the service manager and writer and I continue to hear them recommend doing it to other customers.

I put on lots of miles so I "rotate" my tires by buying two at a time, moving the rears to the front and having the new ones installed on the rear.

20. 06-12-2019 03:25 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Was just going to ask OP about this.

My VW dealership still tries to get me to rotate the tires with better tread to the front and I keep telling them know and explaining why. I even sent Youtube videos about this practice to the service manager and writer and I continue to hear them recommend doing it to other customers.

I put on lots of miles so I "rotate" my tires by buying two at a time, moving the rears to the front and having the new ones installed on the rear.
      I rotated them about 6,000 miles ago, they were about all even! Heck I wouldnít be surprised if the fronts were more worn down because of little take-off burnouts here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2019 03:49 PM #45
      Firestones are also on my **** list after the issues they had with Ford Explorers and my uncle was one of the victims. Goodyears are definitely now also on that list, Iíve only ever had bad experiences with them.

If the funds allow, Iíll go for Michelin.
      If funds are right, I usually stick with Falken/Sumitomo (same company).

Was your uncle okay?

Michelin usually is awesome, but yeah, pricey. As you certainly know, safety is even more important than money (if you have it, of course). If you had Michelin tires on it there's a good chance you'd be driving your Civic today.

Bingo. That's where I do my research.

22. 06-12-2019 04:44 PM #46
      OP, when I saw the title and then your sig, I said, "oh no, he rolled the STI!".

As a fellow guy, you get my first concern

Good to read that you're fine and looking for something fun

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      06-12-2019 05:20 PM #47
      Since nobody asked yet, did you poop your pants?

24. Senior Member
      06-12-2019 05:34 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Subarus have always ranked at the top of the crash test ratings.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...oor-sedan/2002
      However, IIHS did not have side crash tests for the Impreza until 2006 (good rating):

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...oor-sedan/2006

Note that this page does say that side airbags with head protection were optional in 2004-2005, and standard in 2006. It also looks like the 2006 model was restyled (no longer "bug eye" style), but IIHS considered it the same as the 2002 model for the moderate overlap front crash test.

So if you are concerned about side crashes in Imprezas of that era, look for one with side airbags with head protection.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      06-12-2019 05:40 PM #49
      I understand what I'm saying is going to leave a frown on your face but buy something that will keep you out of trouble.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      06-12-2019 05:44 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Since nobody asked yet, did you poop your pants?
      That's Consumer Reports territory. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast