VWVortex.com - Revving (~2k) in N then drop to D from stop - dangerous for DSG?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Revving (~2k) in N then drop to D from stop - dangerous for DSG?

1. 06-12-2019 12:38 PM #1
      I've got a 2014 passat TDI and the lag from a stop is just outright dangerous at times when you need to jump into traffic or cross a large road.
      Does the DSG, being more advanced and similar to a standard transmission, have more capability to handle rev dropping into drive without damage?
      Will the clutch absorb the energy and seamlessly transfer it to the gears?

Also, does the DSG do any disengaging when you are stopped with foot on the brake and push the throttle to get the revs up before starting? Is this dangerous to do? I feel the car lurch forward if I gently hit the gas while stopped on the brake, so I'm thinking maybe it doesnt disengage, but its hard to tell as it seems like it may do something after it detects you are stopped and on the brake.
      Last edited by jjsgt84; 06-12-2019 at 03:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-13-2019 10:36 PM #3
      I would most definitely NOT drop it to D while reving it in N. I don’t understand the delay you are referring to. My R32 takes off faster than I need it to. If you are in D with foot on the brakes and hit the gas you are launching it. The rpms will only go so high, even with the pedal to the floor. And for a split second the clutch will start to engage but quickly realize what you are doing. If you have the shifter in Manual mode + - it will not launch. Do an adaptation for the dsg and it should improve your take off. Also a fluid change if it has not been done.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

5. 06-14-2019 10:24 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Sagginwagen View Post
      I would most definitely NOT drop it to D while reving it in N. I don’t understand the delay you are referring to. My R32 takes off faster than I need it to. If you are in D with foot on the brakes and hit the gas you are launching it. The rpms will only go so high, even with the pedal to the floor. And for a split second the clutch will start to engage but quickly realize what you are doing. If you have the shifter in Manual mode + - it will not launch. Do an adaptation for the dsg and it should improve your take off. Also a fluid change if it has not been done.
      Thanks for the reply. Have you ever driven the Passat? It varies a bit, but sometimes, maybe depending on wheel angle and some other factor like position of saturn's moons, the car just limps off the line for literally like 2 full seconds before power kicks in. Usually its not that bad, but every once in a while... Kind of scary. Maybe I'm still just learning how to adjust to the car, I dont know. It also has no launch control that I know of, but Im probably not going to rev while on the brakes, dont want to chance anything bad happening haha. I doubt I need an adaptation because it never really (rather VERY seldomly) jerks or bucks, and if it does it is when moving slowly and I get on the gas right as it is downshifting on its own, or something. Usually very smooth.

6. 06-14-2019 04:38 PM #5
      does the lag exist when in S mode? if not, then it's just how the transmission has been coded. You could try a adaptation reset or you could try something like sprint booster.

Adapation reset (if you don't have VCDS):
      1. turn key to on position (but don't crank engine)
      2. step on accelerator all the way down for 20 seconds or so
      3. release accelerator
      4. step on brake and crank engine

7. 06-18-2019 03:16 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by findalex View Post
      does the lag exist when in S mode? if not, then it's just how the transmission has been coded. You could try a adaptation reset or you could try something like sprint booster.

Adapation reset (if you don't have VCDS):
      1. turn key to on position (but don't crank engine)
      2. step on accelerator all the way down for 20 seconds or so
      3. release accelerator
      4. step on brake and crank engine
      Yes it also happens in S. So the adaptation is that simple? Thats all you do? I have push to start, so I assume I could just turn ignition on without cranking the engine and do the same. I'll read up on it.

8. 06-19-2019 09:52 PM #7
      I’ve never experienced this much of a delay in any dsg but they have all been in performance oriented cars. Maybe the programming is different. Has it always behaved like this?
      When a dsg adaptation is done with vcds, or similar program, it resets all the parameters and in the process makes all kinds of sounds. Clunks bangs and jerks. Definitely had me questioning what I was doing for the first time lol. But it is perfectly normal and does not harm the dsg. Just be sure to follow the procedures exactly.
      This turn key mash gas only works to reset the fuzzy logic on an automatic transmission.

9. 06-20-2019 05:45 AM #8
      True, a complete reset of DSG requires VCDS and hearing some scary sounds. I've done it more times than I can count with my '09 A3.

Problem with the VCDS reset is that the car takes a long time to relearn if you just drive it normally. The proper thing to do after a VCDS reset is to drive in manual mode from stand still up to 6th gear. Drive in gears 3 or 5 for 5 minutes, also in 4 or 6 for 5 minutes, keeping rpm between 1200 - 3500. Then drive at constant speed on each clutch (there are 2) for at least 10-15 seconds between 2000 - 3000 rpm. Then the clutches must change 20 times. You also have to perform one sharp braking following by a full throttle acceleration while in Drive (auto) mode.

The key on, gas down method resets something. I'm not sure what it is, but it DID make my '09 A3 shift smoother for a while. Then the crazy German programming came back and the transmission shifted like an angry drunk, stuttering from a dead stop.

It's fast and it's free. So why not give it a try? It won't hurt anything. I was test driving a Q3 with a push start button with the same transmisison and the trick immediately helped the transmission shift smoother during my test drive. Just turn the car on, but not the engine. I think you do that by pressing the button without stepping on the brakes.
      Last edited by findalex; 06-20-2019 at 05:55 AM.