VWVortex.com - Just purchased a 1980 Rabbit
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased a 1980 Rabbit

1. 06-15-2019 07:46 PM #1
      Nice little 2 door. Came with a spare 1.5, and 1.6. Currently has a 1.6 MF Turbo Diesel in it and a 5 speed. Smokes like hell.

Here is a little video I took of the smoke https://youtu.be/NmHdUEeAdFM

Currently I have changed the oil, and transmission gear oil. Glued the rear view mirror back on, replaced the brake fluid, and fixed the passenger side lock.
      No history on timing belt, so that is going to be a upcoming job. Plan on changing the water pump, coolant, thermostat, and checking the injector pump timing. Thinnking about making or buying a injector pop tester and doing that myself, also want to replace the glow plugs.
      Last edited by Screamingdeal; 06-15-2019 at 07:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1983 VW Rabbit GTI
      06-16-2019 02:38 AM #2
      Very nice lloking model! I LOVE the square headlights!

4. 06-16-2019 10:30 AM #3
      I really like the square body styles. I used to own an old mk2 Jetta. Now I have this rabbit, badge says Diesel C, so I am assuming that means custom? Also own a golf sportwagen.

If anyone has input about the blow by. Is it the rings? Should I have the breather going back in to the intake? Catch can? The PO modified the intake and it has a different filter and pipe. Have some manuals on the way if I do need to pull the pistons. Never done that before.....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-16-2019 06:02 PM #4

This is what the breather currently looks like. So what I think I should do is a hose to a air oil separator, then back to the intake. Should I weld in a connection after the filter, before the turbo? That's what I'm thinking in my head. Also does anyone know a place to get a valve splash shield? Engine is a 1.6 turbo black is marked MF, not sure about head but can get that number if needes.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      81 scirocco 1.6 diesel, 86 golf 1.6D, 85 300TD, 2003 Golf ALH
      06-16-2019 07:02 PM #5

8. 06-16-2019 08:02 PM #6
      Yeah, it's not supposed to, I've been doing a lot of research on it today. I'll take some pics, and video. But I think I'm going to have my buddy help me weld up something like you have in that video, might do a catch can or air oil separator. Also looking for a valve splash guard.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-16-2019 08:32 PM #7
      If there is a lot of oil in the blowby it's not great for it to be going straight into the turbo.
      There is a splash shield that goes under the valve cover that helps a lot. See if you have one, get one if you don't - they're cheap.
      You'll see the valves when the oil cap is off if you don't have it.

10. 06-16-2019 08:52 PM #8
      Do you know where to get the valve guard if I dont have one? Been looking with no luck so far.

Also what sensor are these?

Right side of head

Is this where the breather tube should go?

I have some manuals on the way, really want this to be my daily so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-16-2019 10:21 PM #9
      If you take your oil filler cap off you can see it, youi'll just see plastic if it's in there
      http://www.hansautoparts.com/026103547OilBaffle.aspx
      Use the part number to shop around or at least get the $6 baffle. I've seen one crack before, my $6 one from Hans is good.

Those are oil pressure sensors (no oil light in the dash with ignition on?),

I don't know about the other stuff, maybe the valve cover vapors are supposed run into that port that's blocked off on the intake. I don't have a turbo 1.6 so I can't say for sure.

12. 06-17-2019 09:28 AM #10
      Nope, no oil light on dash with ignition on. I figured that's what they were. I dont see the wires for them anywhere in the engine bay. PO must have done something with them when he swapped the engine. The horn isnt working either, maybe steering column ground or fuse/relay. Wiring is a bitch and I am not looking forward to doing any of that.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2019 10:46 AM #11
      Oil pressure sensor wires should be there somewhere. PO didn't take those anywhere. The sensors ground the circuit, then cut it when gets pressure.

I think the horn should have 12V to it all the time and the horn button is the ground, I ran a direct (fused) 12v to the + of the horn itself to get mine to work.
      Of course check all your fuses in the panel first. Replacing all the fuses isn't a bad idea, New fuses can be had inexpensive from ebay.

http://www.cabby-info.com/links.htm

14. 06-17-2019 10:11 PM #12
      I searched and searched, no plugs for the oil pressure sensors. I'm guessing they terminate behind the dash? Pulling the dash and wiring. Uhhhhggggg

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2019 10:31 PM #13
      worse case , install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Better
      maybe the PO snipped the wire and the short piece just needs to be extended and new terminal crimped on

16. 06-17-2019 10:42 PM #14
      I see two blue snipped wires. I will have to trace those and see where they end. Might be in luck

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2019 10:53 PM #15
      That car only had 3 wires originally: one to oil sensor on side of head, and 2 smaller sensors that screw into water flanges -one for temp, one for glow plug relay; those 2 sensors are actually the same but only one of the wires makes your temp gauge work.

It never had a wire for that oil pressure sensor next to the oil filter

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      06-18-2019 08:05 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by sgnimj96 View Post
      That car only had 3 wires originally: one to oil sensor on side of head, and 2 smaller sensors that screw into water flanges -one for temp, one for glow plug relay; those 2 sensors are actually the same but only one of the wires makes your temp gauge work.

It never had a wire for that oil pressure sensor next to the oil filter
      That looks to be a oil temp sensor.
      the one on the side of the head is the low oil pressure light but it appears to be the wrong one, as the diesels uad a blue one there originally.

Getting a Haynes 1980 diesel manual as they have pretty good schematics for the wiring.

Smoking can be caused by the ip timing, and you can try moving it about a bit to see if it goes away, a dial gauge is used to set it.

Can also be a cold running engine, bad rings, or valve seals....

19. 06-18-2019 11:47 AM #17
      As a temp "fix" I have routed the breather to a DIY catch can to see if any oil is being blown through the breather. I do have the valve splash guard, so that's a good sign. If I dont see any oil in the catch. I probably still will install a real catch can and route that back in to the intake. As for the sensors, I have two Bentley manuals on the way, one for the MF engine that is currently in the vehicle and one for the ck, cr, engine and actual car itself. I am taking the cautionary route and not daily driving it the 100 mile round trip to work everyday until I change the timing belt, adjust the IP timing, replace water pump and flush coolant, replace thermostat, get horn working and other little things. Good thing I enjoy working on this car, and my dog loves watching me and going on ride alongs
      Last edited by Screamingdeal; 06-18-2019 at 11:54 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2019 06:10 PM #18
      Nice photo, dog living the Dream...

some more screamin deals if you have plans to do a lot of fixing. You do really have to verify the parts with rockauto since they cover international models as well.
      https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehicle...l=en&html=true

this one is for the MF engine - so jel, those are rare down south
      https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehicle...l=en&html=true

Closeout stuff generally ships together

2/5 of the Way from San-Fran to Port-Land
      Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      06-18-2019 09:38 PM #19
      Oil pressure idiot light: replace the one on the head with an any air-cooled (old bug) switch and wire that to the cluster. Your blue wire with black stripe (cut) might do it; check for continuity. Maybe I'm old school, but I like a simple system that I can trust to tell me if I have oil pressure or not. I suspect that many rabbits are running around with non-functioning oil pressure warning systems. Luckily problems are rare if you don't beat up your pan.

Smoking: one more cause not mentioned by Brian; PO turned up the fuel screw on the IP to get more power at the cost of smoke. Black smoke is just unburned fuel leaving the system. I prefer improved fuel economy and slower hill climbing in favor of not giving VW diesels (and myself) a worse reputation for emissions than they already have.

Nice car by the way. Love the red headliner.

Watched the video: what viscosity? If it's 5 or 10w-something, change to diesel 15-40. Might solve the under the hood issue.
      Last edited by mokoosh; 06-19-2019 at 12:24 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      facebook...pfft. vwvortex baby!
      The NONSMKR
      My Butte Whip: 82 Jetta Build
      perpetual online swap-meet(V2.2 FS: Early Rabbit Tails)

22. 06-18-2019 10:50 PM #20
      Thanks for the links. The dog loves the rabbit, its basically hers now. I traced the wire to the dash, on the multi plug it is number 10 and I forgot the other one. I ended up pulling the gage cluster out, and then I started to get bugged by the wife and kids so that's where I left off. Manuals should be here Thursday and Friday. I'll verify parts and get them in the mail. Oil in it now is 15w40 and I put VW gear oil in the transmission. I will check the IP screw and see what changes that makes. I love the interior as well, lipstick red I think? The original exterior I believe was diamond silver metallic, plan on going back to that or flat gun metal silver or black
      Last edited by Screamingdeal; 06-18-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Vehicles
      82 VW Caddy diesel
      06-19-2019 10:26 AM #21
      Looking good and glad to see another diesel being saved from the scrap heap!

I'm still toying with the idea of turbocharging my diesel in the future and reading this thread doesn't help me... it makes me want to do it more!
      82 Caddy diesel

24. 06-19-2019 11:00 AM #22
      Do it! I'll probably have the spare 1.6 I have turbodiesel as well. Can a 1.5 head fit on a 1.6?

Vehicles
      82 VW Caddy diesel
      06-19-2019 11:26 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Screamingdeal View Post
      Do it! I'll probably have the spare 1.6 I have turbodiesel as well. Can a 1.5 head fit on a 1.6?
      You are not helping my current mental state with comments like that...

I'm toying with the idea of swapping out my 1.6 NA diesel for a 1.9 AAZ turbo diesel... maybe when I crest over 300k then I'll do it... I'm at 297k right now...
      82 Caddy diesel

26. 06-19-2019 11:49 AM #24
      I was thinking about doing the same thing eventually, after I run this motor as far as it will go. Supposedly it only has about 160k on it. Get a 1.9 aaz turbo!

27. 06-20-2019 07:53 PM #25
      Since I have a swapped engine I've noticed there is only one wire for the low (blue) oil pressure sender that is supposed to go on the side of the head. The original engine does not have a sensor by the oil filter but the swapped one does, do I need both hooked up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast