Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Hitch

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI VR6 SG beyond 280k, 2008 A4 S-Line 2.0T 6mt, 2019 Golf R DSG 91 Blue
      06-17-2019 09:52 PM #1
      Is anyone familiar with this thing? Seems like the ultimate hidden hitch solution for the R...if they only offered it for the R! It's out for mk7 + GTI https://stealthhitches.com/products/...onandoperation

I'm bugging them to offer a version for mk7 Golf R. They're game if someone in the Atlanta area brought one into their fine shop

However, is the rear bumper structure actually different from the GTI to R? Perhaps it fits already if I could get some expert confirmation...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      06-17-2019 10:16 PM #2
      FYI...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2016 LSG R 6MT/DCC/NAV
      06-17-2019 10:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by CeeBeeKay View Post
      Is anyone familiar with this thing? Seems like the ultimate hidden hitch solution for the R...if they only offered it for the R! It's out for mk7 + GTI https://stealthhitches.com/products/...onandoperation

I'm bugging them to offer a version for mk7 Golf R. They're game if someone in the Atlanta area brought one into their fine shop

However, is the rear bumper structure actually different from the GTI to R? Perhaps it fits already if I could get some expert confirmation...
      there's a fairly large thread on the difference in structure between a GTI/R and what's required for the hitch

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...highlight=tork

torklift for the win!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 6MT MK7 Golf R-- 2017 Camaro ZL1 1LE
      06-18-2019 03:57 AM #4
      DO NOT get this hitch OR the Torklift hitch

This hitch bolts between your bumper support and the frame rail.

I got rear ended back in March by a guy going 20-25mph. The hitch took the majority of the hit. The damage didn't look too bad, I figured all I would need would be a bumper and exhaust.

After the body shop did their full evaluation, it turned out that the hitch was bent down and it totally bent both frame rails. It turned a "simple" job I to a crazy long expensive process to fix.

The body shop manager told me that of the bumper support would have taken the damage rather than the hitch, the frame rails and ends would have been saved.

I didn't take this Into consideration when installing it.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Golf R 6MT, 15 Exocet, 04 MSM, 01 M5, 18 StripleRS
      06-18-2019 09:03 AM #5
      If you can't fit whatever you need in the hatch or on the roof, get a more appropriate vehicle to haul whatever it is you're hauling. Full stop.

</thread>
      No img tags in sigs gives asellus a sad.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GolF R 6MT
      06-18-2019 11:06 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by asellus View Post
      If you can't fit whatever you need in the hatch or on the roof, get a more appropriate vehicle to haul whatever it is you're hauling. Full stop.

</thread>
      Bike hitch racks > roof racks. Roof racks suck. Using a hitch for a bike rack is a perfectly acceptable reason to install a hitch on a car.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Golf R 6MT, 15 Exocet, 04 MSM, 01 M5, 18 StripleRS
      06-18-2019 11:10 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
      Bike hitch racks > roof racks. Roof racks suck. Using a hitch for a bike rack is a perfectly acceptable reason to install a hitch on a car.
      https://www.rei.com/product/862689/saris-solo-bike-rack

Problem solved. Don't install a hitch on an R.
      No img tags in sigs gives asellus a sad.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      06-18-2019 11:53 AM #8
      This thread has brought out the anti-hitch nazi's. Honestly, I didn't know you all existed. Hilarious.

If your car is hit by someone else in a rear-ending accident... well, if you prepare for everything that could possibly go wrong, you'll certainly end up with agoraphobia. Don't worry about it. A car is a car. An accident is an accident. The offender's insurance will fix your car. Some rando body shop tech who is making wild assumptions about what might have happened, is exactly that.

OP, Torklift Ecohitch is a great option, and used by many. I've seen some newer options, but they don't seem to be quite as "hidden" as the ecohitch.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GolF R 6MT
      06-18-2019 12:22 PM #9

I've installed the Torklift Ecohitch on both my R and my buddies GTI. There is no difference in how the bumper mounts on either car. The only difference in the hitches is that the Torklift GTI hitch has two extra bolt on supports that help spread the load better whereas the R hitch does not. Since the Stealth GTI hitch mounts like the Torklift R hitch by only sandwiching behind the bumper bar, it should fit the R. In any case you will have to trim the lower valence a bit to clear the hitch parts.

Quote Originally Posted by asellus View Post
      https://www.rei.com/product/862689/saris-solo-bike-rack

Problem solved. Don't install a hitch on an R.
      Despite what the picture shows, it's not a good idea to have a trunk/hatch rack resting on the glass. While it is possible to use one of those on an R, those kinds of racks also suck and can damage the paint, which is way more offensive than installing a hitch which is completely reversible.

Here is a picture just for you.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-LINE
      06-18-2019 12:40 PM #10

Despite what the picture shows, it's not a good idea to have a trunk/hatch rack resting on the glass. While it is possible to use one of those on an R, those kinds of racks also suck and can damage the paint, which is way more offensive than installing a hitch which is completely reversible.
      Here is an option that caught my eye in the past - https://www.seasucker.com/

13. 06-18-2019 12:44 PM #11
      I think the ultimate hidden tow hook is the OEM one:

In Europe the Golf family is considered great as towing vehicles, but even there the R literature advises against towing.

I've read different explanations as to why the R gets left out; structural differences in the chassis/frame/bumpers, suspension differences, transmissions differences (some say stronger internals, others differences in cooling capacity), and haldrex issues. I don't know how good any of those explanations are though.

I realize it doesn't matter when it comes to bike racks, etc but if anyone has a good explanation as to why the Golf R should not tow significant weight, I'm interested
      Last edited by jakeyjohn1; 06-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2019 01:27 PM #12
      Guys, have no fear- I'm not interested in towing with my R (well, that's not entirely true- I do find it interesting, but I will not pursue that), I'm just looking for a really slick hitch solution for a bike rack. I was almost there with the EcoHitch, but for my tastes, I did not want the receiver showing at all. My search lead me to the Stealth Hitch. For 15 years I have run 2 bikes on the roof, but now I want to carry a sea kayak and a box up top, bikes out back on the new car.

Vehicles
      '03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT, '19 Golf R 6MT, '15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
      06-18-2019 09:04 PM #13
      How low does the bike rack sit? I have a kuat nv2 I’d like to use but I’m worried it’ll bounce off the pavement
      The DD : '19 Golf R, Indium, 6MT
      The Fun Ride : '03 Porsche 911 Turbo, 6MT

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      06-19-2019 08:20 AM #14
      I'm just looking for a really slick hitch solution for a bike rack. I was almost there with the EcoHitch, but for my tastes, I did not want the receiver showing at all. My search lead me to the Stealth Hitch.
      Years ago a friend of mine had a 911 daily driver that he also used for weekend track events. Since a 911 doesn't have much inside storage he used a small, lightweight trailer for track tires and a toolbox. The hitch's receiver was entirely concealed behind the rear bumper cover, with a small removable plastic hatch, painted to match the car, covering it when not in use. Slickest towing arrangement I've ever seen, and sounds like what you're looking for. I have no idea who made it, but apparently such things do exist.

Neil

Vehicles
      '03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT, '19 Golf R 6MT, '15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
      06-19-2019 09:07 AM #15
      Sport Tow. I have one for my 911 Turbo but haven't installed it yet. It sits behind the rear license plate, which you put on a hinge. So flip the license plate up, reveal the tow receiver, install the ball mount and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      Years ago a friend of mine had a 911 daily driver that he also used for weekend track events. Since a 911 doesn't have much inside storage he used a small, lightweight trailer for track tires and a toolbox. The hitch's receiver was entirely concealed behind the rear bumper cover, with a small removable plastic hatch, painted to match the car, covering it when not in use. Slickest towing arrangement I've ever seen, and sounds like what you're looking for. I have no idea who made it, but apparently such things do exist.

Neil
      The DD : '19 Golf R, Indium, 6MT
      The Fun Ride : '03 Porsche 911 Turbo, 6MT

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2019 04:07 PM #16
      I tried looking for a pic of the mk4 R32 guy who made his own behind-the-plate hitch but couldn't find it. Here's a mk5 R32:

[IMG][/IMG]

A hinged plate bracket would cover it when not in use. Or a magnetic plate bracket which could be transferred to the bike rack or whatever is installed there.

But essentially the same concept as the Stealth Hitch or EcoHitch- a hitch frame bolted to the same spot the rear bumper crash bar was formerly occupying.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2019 04:41 PM #17
      But I would rather avoid devising a custom hitch right now (especially one that involves cutting an area painted with magic Spektrum).

The R version would need to be slightly different enough to necessitate a new kit.
      Here's what's involved with the GTI version: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...esent.pdf?1213

I would like to put out an APB to all R-folks in the Atlanta area. Stealth Hitch will give a free full hitch and tow kit to the first guinea pig!
      The GTI version was graciously spearheaded by a fellow VWVortex'er, now it's our turn!

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      06-22-2019 11:41 AM #18
      I considered the Stealth hitch for my 17 Golf R and visited them in person since they are located close to where I live.

Because of the way the rear diffuser is angled in on our cars, it would require cutting a “notch” out of the diffuser. While this is off putting enough, when you remove the hitch, it would be an empty space showing exhaust and other bits down there, and I decided it wouldn’t be a good look.

I ended up going with the TorkLift Ecohitch instead. While it also involved cutting a notch in the diffuser, the hitch is always occupying the space so it looks better IMO.

I think the stealth hitch is a brilliant solution for many other vehicles, just not for our MK7 Rs unfortunately.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-23-2019 10:13 AM #19
      @mustakoira nooooooo! lol

You came THIS close to getting it!!! Although I totally understand your rationale. BUT, isn't the part of the diffuser that gets cut out the horizontal face- looking almost straight down at the road and only ~ 8" off the ground? That hole seems as if it would not be visible. I mean, what did they discuss with you when you considered it?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '16R DSG & DCC
      06-23-2019 04:50 PM #20
      I've installed the Torklift Ecohitch on both my R and my buddies GTI. There is no difference in how the bumper mounts on either car. The only difference in the hitches is that the Torklift GTI hitch has two extra bolt on supports that help spread the load better whereas the R hitch does not. Since the Stealth GTI hitch mounts like the Torklift R hitch by only sandwiching behind the bumper bar, it should fit the R. In any case you will have to trim the lower valence a bit to clear the hitch parts.

Here is a picture just for you.
      What might look really good with that hitch is to get an extra exhaust tip and put the hitch arm through the tip such that it looks like you have an extra outlet - that will blow people's minds

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      06-23-2019 05:30 PM #21
      @mustakoira nooooooo! lol

You came THIS close to getting it!!! Although I totally understand your rationale. BUT, isn't the part of the diffuser that gets cut out the horizontal face- looking almost straight down at the road and only ~ 8" off the ground? That hole seems as if it would not be visible. I mean, what did they discuss with you when you considered it?
      Trust me. I wanted it to work badly but there was a significant hole (because of the angle of the diffuser, and the hitch drops down farther back then you might think). We made the measurements and then made a cardboard template and overlaid it on the diffuser, and I looked at it from a distance. They wanted to do it, but I bailed on the idea.

Also, it would have been difficult to insert and detach the hitch because you would have had to reach in behind the diffuser and do it by feel pretty much.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R, 2018 Alltrack SEL
      06-24-2019 02:13 PM #22
      The configurator on the UK VW site has a selection for "detachable towbar including installation kit". I've had Westfalia detachable towbars on previous GTIs - ordered them from PF Jones in the UK. They are vastly superior to the receiver hitch BS we have in the US.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      06-24-2019 05:28 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by mustakoira View Post
      Trust me. I wanted it to work badly but there was a significant hole (because of the angle of the diffuser, and the hitch drops down farther back then you might think). We made the measurements and then made a cardboard template and overlaid it on the diffuser, and I looked at it from a distance. They wanted to do it, but I bailed on the idea.

Also, it would have been difficult to insert and detach the hitch because you would have had to reach in behind the diffuser and do it by feel pretty much.
      I gotcha. I wonder if one we’re skilled with the dremel and saved that cutout piece, it could be epoxied to a magnetic post that could cover that opening in slick fashion...

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      06-24-2019 07:03 PM #24
      It’s possible. I actually had a spare diffuser piece because I had replaced mine (due to some scratches on the original) and considered using it to make a cover plate.

At the end of the day, I install and remove my bike rack every week from the hitch, and decided it wasn’t worth the hassle (at least for me).

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GolF R 6MT
      06-25-2019 08:42 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ropegun View Post
      The configurator on the UK VW site has a selection for "detachable towbar including installation kit". I've had Westfalia detachable towbars on previous GTIs - ordered them from PF Jones in the UK. They are vastly superior to the receiver hitch BS we have in the US.
      The ball mount on Westfalia hitches is slick, but since they don't make a receiver adapter to use for bike racks it really limits the usefulness.

The Stealth Hitch is essentially the same concept as the Westfalia design, but US made and with options for either a ball mount or square receiver.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast