VWVortex.com - Question on auto dim side mirror
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on auto dim side mirror

1. 06-22-2019 05:58 PM #1
      Looks like we have auto dim mirror in the housing. What do I need to make it work on SE trim?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      ‘19 Arteon SE Urano Gray/ ‘19 Tiguan S SBM/DAP
      06-22-2019 09:05 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by tipjvana View Post
      Looks like we have auto dim mirror in the housing. What do I need to make it work on SE trim?
      I think it just works... it’s some sort of an anti reflective coating it looks.
      ‘19 Arteon SE 4Motion Urano Gray
      ‘19 SBM Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      06-24-2019 11:09 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisMk6TDi View Post
      I think it just works... it’s some sort of an anti reflective coating it looks.
      That's really nice to have standard. The SE is a great value when you break down the features for the price.

I know on the jetta SE, it did not list the rain sensor; only on the SEL. It was included on the SE however which was undocumented, so it's entirely possible this is the case with the Arteon as well.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-25-2019 08:40 AM #4
      I don't think it's standard on SE. Doesn't seem to work on mine. The manual also said "if equipped, it works automatically with self-dimming inside mirror". Might be better off replacing with blue tinted mirror instead of trying to run the wire from there to the inside mirror.

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 09:52 AM #5
      I don't think it's standard on SE. Doesn't seem to work on mine. The manual also said "if equipped, it works automatically with self-dimming inside mirror". Might be better off replacing with blue tinted mirror instead of trying to run the wire from there to the inside mirror.
      My mirrors have a coating on them, and by my eye they definitely work. My R had standard mirrors and there’s a clear difference! Since it’s just a coating there’s no need to switch them on. The coating doesn’t go all the way to the edge either, so if you look outside the edge at a different angle you can tell it works.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      06-25-2019 05:15 PM #6
      Can you take a pic of the SE mirror? It is very clear on the SEL-P that it has the outline where the auto-dim function is. And when I put the sunshade in the windshield during the day, I can clearly see the driver side mirror (as well as rearview) get extra dark within the outline. Strange they wouldn't list it if it was standard on the SE..

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 09:36 PM #7
      You can see the line (hopefully) despite the rain!

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      06-27-2019 01:47 PM #8
      You can see the line (hopefully) despite the rain!

yeah that's what mine looks like. I would think it might be undocumented?

11. 06-28-2019 09:04 AM #9
      My mirrors have a coating on them, and by my eye they definitely work. My R had standard mirrors and there’s a clear difference! Since it’s just a coating there’s no need to switch them on. The coating doesn’t go all the way to the edge either, so if you look outside the edge at a different angle you can tell it works.
      Its not really a chemical coating, the tint is control by a power source. The more current, the darker the glass get.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-08-2019 11:27 AM #10
      Here it is in action. You can def tell if you have it:

13. 08-16-2019 11:05 PM #11
      Unfortunately, mine doesn't work. Had a chance to pop the mirror off today and its definitely an auto dim mirror. Wiring and connector seem fine, I might have a bad mirror. Will have them look at it when I go in for an oil change

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-18-2019 05:01 PM #12
      Unfortunately, mine doesn't work. Had a chance to pop the mirror off today and its definitely an auto dim mirror. Wiring and connector seem fine, I might have a bad mirror. Will have them look at it when I go in for an oil change
      It is stated on the internal trim sheet that auto dim mirror is SEL and SEL-Premium. Could it be that you have an SE model? Then, the wire you are seeing is for the heating element, not the auto-dim element.

SE get: "Power adjustable, manually foldable, heated exterior mirrors"

SEL/SEL-P get: "Auto-dimming, power adjustable, power foldable, heated exterior mirrors with position memory"

https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspi...rteon-2019.pdf

15. 08-19-2019 07:18 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      It is stated on the internal trim sheet that auto dim mirror is SEL and SEL-Premium. Could it be that you have an SE model? Then, the wire you are seeing is for the heating element, not the auto-dim element.

SE get: "Power adjustable, manually foldable, heated exterior mirrors"

SEL/SEL-P get: "Auto-dimming, power adjustable, power foldable, heated exterior mirrors with position memory"

https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspi...rteon-2019.pdf
      Yes, mine is SE. There are 4 wires going to the mirror, 2 for heating and the other 2 for auto-dim presumably.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      08-19-2019 12:10 PM #14
      Yes, mine is SE. There are 4 wires going to the mirror, 2 for heating and the other 2 for auto-dim presumably.

I have an SE also- auto dim side mirrors and mine are working. Not listed on the sticker.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-27-2019 10:21 AM #15

Whatever happened with this? Go to the dealer?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      08-27-2019 11:46 AM #16
      it maybe a coding change to get the mirrors to work if they wiring is there.

much like the windows auto down via keyfob
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-27-2019 12:11 PM #17
      I have an SE also- auto dim side mirrors and mine are working. Not listed on the sticker.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      it maybe a coding change to get the mirrors to work if they wiring is there.

much like the windows auto down via keyfob
      I mean Chris said his is just working on his SE. So I'd suspect it's supposed to work and isn't and therefore I'd ask the dealer. They may tell him what I said though: that it doesn't have it (even though it clearly does). Could this be a Tesla thing where they have features which are deactivated on lower trims? Chris, maybe some ses had it active and then they stopped? Strange indeed.

20. 08-27-2019 01:43 PM #18
      The light sensors is already there, if your side mirror has a frame on the glass, then it has auto dimming, if no frame, no auto dim.

Vehicles
      08-27-2019 01:45 PM #19
      I mean Chris said his is just working on his SE. So I'd suspect it's supposed to work and isn't and therefore I'd ask the dealer. They may tell him what I said though: that it doesn't have it (even though it clearly does). Could this be a Tesla thing where they have features which are deactivated on lower trims? Chris, maybe some ses had it active and then they stopped? Strange indeed.
      I’m wondering if it’s a one off type thing too... it isn’t listed on my window sticker. I’m going to pop the mirror off at some point and check the p/n and the wiring on the back

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-27-2019 02:39 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
      The light sensors is already there, if your side mirror has a frame on the glass, then it has auto dimming, if no frame, no auto dim.
      I wouldn't oversimplify it. They all appear to have the frame but clearly the documentation only lists it on higher trims. Since some with the SE have it working and some don't, the burden of going to the dealer is that they could just say pound sand it's not a feature listed for your trim.

The bigger question is why it works on some SEs and not others.

23. 08-27-2019 06:52 PM #21
      I am just trying not to over-complicate things. Those auto dim mirror glass are about $500 each, all auto dim mirrors have a frame on the edge that does not dim . VW would not install these costly mirror without activating it. If one has rims on their mirror, they have dim. If not, no auto dim, if they have rim on mirror and no auto dim, then the system is malfunctioning.
      It looks like some SE owners got a bonus on their car, just like some SEL P owner have a full spare with matching rims and some don't.
      Last edited by The G Man; 08-27-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      08-27-2019 07:14 PM #22
      I am just trying not to over-complicate things. Those auto dim mirror glass are about $500 each, all auto dim mirrors have a frame on the edge that does not dim . VW would not install these costly mirror without activating it. If one has rims on their mirror, they have dim. If not, no auto dim, if they have rim on mirror and no auto dim, then the system is malfunctioning.
      It looks like some SE owners got a bonus on their car, just like some SEL P owner have a full spare with matching rims and some don't.
      That rim quip was one person who thought he remembered a steel wheel. All SEL-P models have a rim. Unless someone can prove otherwise, I'm not taking the memory of someone as gospel.

Also that mirror glass is not $500. You can get the euro aspeherical auto dim glass on eBay for $159 right now, and that one is a nicer version than the one on our car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-7-P...IAAOSwNrNdKCFS
      Last edited by ice4life; 08-27-2019 at 07:21 PM.

25. 08-28-2019 10:02 AM #23
      That rim quip was one person who thought he remembered a steel wheel. All SEL-P models have a rim. Unless someone can prove otherwise, I'm not taking the memory of someone as gospel.

Also that mirror glass is not $500. You can get the euro aspeherical auto dim glass on eBay for $159 right now, and that one is a nicer version than the one on our car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-7-P...IAAOSwNrNdKCFS
      Ebay, need I say more, how much is it at the dealership? The last time I check, VW does not buy parts from Ebay. Even at $150 each, VW would not install $300 worth or mirrors and not wire it up.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      08-28-2019 11:54 AM #24
      Could this be a Tesla thing where they have features which are deactivated on lower trims? Chris, maybe some ses had it active and then they stopped? Strange indeed.

Like i said windows down via Key fob has always been a function you could enable on VWs yet I think was standard on Audis, so yeah very similar to features limited by software with hardware installed. .

I wouldn't put it past the first batch of arteons were more cookie cutter specs as VW was working through the bean counter cost cuttings (there prob isn't a trim level of arteon in the rest of the world that doesn't have non-dimming mirrors).

it'd be right up with the reason our alltrack and all GSW have a gapping huge hole in the rear bumper for the auto swing tow bar, yet isn't spec'd on any us trim car.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon , 2008 Audi S5, 2000 Audi S4, 2004 Passat Wagon, 1998 Passat Wagon, Audi 5000S
      08-28-2019 10:41 PM #25
      It could be an assembly error. When I was looking at SE's, I came across one car that had R line sills moldings on one side not the other. I'll check my SE later for the auto dimming mirrors too

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast