VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question on auto dim side mirror

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4 Motion
      11-07-2019 08:59 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      No it is not; The only VWs with dimming passenger mirrors were the gen 1 touareg and phaeton. This is also solidified by the fact there is no outline on the passenger mirror which is the area which dims. I can show you photos later.
      I def was wrong lol, def weird why they dont do both
      2019 Arteon SEL-P/R-Line 4-Motion

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line 4Motion, 2019 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion
      11-07-2019 10:01 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by LSIII View Post
      Which dealer in SATX did you go to? Did they end up ordering the CC mirror?
      North Park VW. They have ordered the CC mirror and it is supposed to come in today. They told me that as soon as it comes in, they will open it up and check the pin count and configuration.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-07-2019 10:08 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Coly8s View Post
      North Park VW. They have ordered the CC mirror and it is supposed to come in today. They told me that as soon as it comes in, they will open it up and check the pin count and configuration.
      I wonder if they have to recall all the ones on dealer lots/ in customer hands which had it port installed? Or maybe they'll just do a tsb to fix it shadily and quietly in the typical VW way.

Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4motion
      11-07-2019 11:30 AM #79
      That’s where I go as well. I work with Jeremie.

Glad I saw this as I was on the verge of buying one.
      LSIII

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-07-2019 01:17 PM #80
      I wonder if they have to recall all the ones on dealer lots/ in customer hands which had it port installed? Or maybe they'll just do a tsb to fix it shadily and quietly in the typical VW way.
      Is it even available as port installed? At the dealer they had zero cars on the lot with the Homelink installed. Since their VW of America tech support wasn't even aware that installing the recommended Homelink mirror would disable the auto dimming side mirror, I figure they will have to go through some gyrations on how to handle. I'm just wondering if the alternate mirror they ordered will actually work. It would explain why none of the Arteons shipped with Homelink. I guess they don't really use Homelink in Germany? I lived there four years, but that was a long time ago and never noticed.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-07-2019 01:57 PM #81
      Is it even available as port installed? At the dealer they had zero cars on the lot with the Homelink installed. Since their VW of America tech support wasn't even aware that installing the recommended Homelink mirror would disable the auto dimming side mirror, I figure they will have to go through some gyrations on how to handle. I'm just wondering if the alternate mirror they ordered will actually work. It would explain why none of the Arteons shipped with Homelink. I guess they don't really use Homelink in Germany? I lived there four years, but that was a long time ago and never noticed.
      Yes, it is available as a PIO. Here are all the Arteon PIOs:

There are tons on cars.com with it installed as a PIO. From there, I went to this one's dealer site which lists it on the option list:
      https://www.jennings-vw.com/inventor...er7an3ke031764

There are also two on the lot at my dealer which have the PIO homelink option, so I know for a fact they are able to be ordered and are shipping with it on the window sticker.

As for europe, for the longest time, they never used homelink as it was an american company. However, I am starting to see models get it over there including the new Touareg. They call it simply "garage door opener" rather than homelink.
      Last edited by ice4life; 11-07-2019 at 02:04 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-07-2019 03:54 PM #82
      Yes, it is available as a PIO. Here are all the Arteon PIOs:

There are tons on cars.com with it installed as a PIO. From there, I went to this one's dealer site which lists it on the option list:
      https://www.jennings-vw.com/inventor...er7an3ke031764

There are also two on the lot at my dealer which have the PIO homelink option, so I know for a fact they are able to be ordered and are shipping with it on the window sticker.

As for europe, for the longest time, they never used homelink as it was an american company. However, I am starting to see models get it over there including the new Touareg. They call it simply "garage door opener" rather than homelink.
      Well they definitely have a problem on their hands then, as the mirror they are installing is disabling the auto dimming side mirror...and they aren't informing the customer of this.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-07-2019 04:07 PM #83
      Well they definitely have a problem on their hands then, as the mirror they are installing is disabling the auto dimming side mirror...and they aren't informing the customer of this.
      They really are just bad at business. At no point did the person who aligned this accessory to the US arteon say "oh hey guys there are half the pins on this one, maybe that means something." They are a shady company who constantly back peddles. If you didn't bring this to their attention, they would continue ripping people off until they were forced to do something. And as I have always said, they end up doing the right thing in the end, but only because they are forced to, not because they genuinely want to.

They have lost our future business for sure and this is just one more solidification as to why. Fat chance they are going to give people a credit for the auto dim exterior mirror not working, and fatter chance they will put out a tsb or recall, as they will just wait and see who complains and most likely deal with it on a one-on-one basis rather than doing the right thing and notifying all those with the accessory (including those who had it installed after the fact which is accessible via ODIS service records).

/End rant

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-07-2019 06:07 PM #84
      OK the dealer just called me to let me know that the other inside Homelink mirror they thought would rectify the problem, sadly, does not have the required six pins. So bottomline, you can have Homelink, or you can have side dimming mirror, but you can't have both.

Vehicles
      11-07-2019 06:16 PM #85
      OK the dealer just called me to let me know that the other inside Homelink mirror they thought would rectify the problem, sadly, does not have the required six pins. So bottomline, you can have Homelink, or you can have side dimming mirror, but you can't have both.
      Here is to wishful thinking that they will come out with a mirror that will allow both to function or offer a different homelink alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LSIII

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-07-2019 07:38 PM #86
      It just dawned on me that the Arteon is the only us model with an auto dim exterior mirror. Makes me think they have been using these same aftermarket gentex pio mirrors for all models not realizing the Arteon had a different pin setup. Seems like a major afterthought imo.
      Last edited by ice4life; 11-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-07-2019 08:25 PM #87
      It just dawned on me that the Arteon is the only us model with an auto dim exterior mirror. Makes me think they have been using these same aftermarket gentex pio mirrors for all models not realizing the Arteon had a different pin setup. Seems like a major afterthought imo.
      Yep. VW's clue bag came up empty on this one. I haven't contacted VW Customer care on this one, but I will. Doubt they will do anything since they are also slow-rolling the Tiguan I-button issue I, and many others, have.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Passat 3.6L V6, SEL Premium, Fortana Red;
      12-06-2019 03:46 AM #88
      So I was driving this weekend and I guess during daylight savings I never really drove when it was dark and I noticed my side mirrors weren't dimming. Back in August I had the Homelink mirror installed because my SEL-P R Line with 4Motion comes with everything except for Homelink. I took it to the dealer today and they said they are talking to tech support because the mirror they installed only has 3 pins when from the factory they come with 6 pins. I'm starting to think they installed the wrong model mirror. Anyone have any ideas on this?
      Check the accessory list for the '20 Passat build. If this is the same mirror, the fine print says that this mirror is not compatible for vehicles with rain sensors, which I assume you have. Hence, fewer pins. Just a wild guess, however.

FWIW, Deutsch Auto Parts has a mirror that is compatible with Rain Sensors, Drivers Assistance Package and Lane Assist:

https://www.shopdap.com/auto-dimming...r-and-dap.html

It is VW p/n 000-072-548-F

Digging deeper, it appears that this one is the one compatible with Arteons: 000-072-548-B

https://www.newvwparts.com/oem-parts...ink-000072548b
      Last edited by DaveR411; 12-06-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Vehicles
      12-06-2019 10:07 AM #89
      I don’t know if it’ll do anything, but I’m going to message VW-USA as I’m going to need some solutions down the road when I have multiple doors to control.

I did a lot of research and the Arteon has part numbers for the factory VW/Audi built in homelink control unit, it’s the same as virtually every other VW/Audi. The MIB II has coding that can be done to bring up the homelink menus, I was thinking of removing the CarNet buttons and installing the button module in its place and doing any needed wiring.

But I can’t find a ‘1,2,3’ button module in black since I have a R-Line. The Atlas seems to have never offered a black headliner even on RLine models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LSIII

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-06-2019 11:03 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by DaveR411 View Post
      Check the accessory list for the '20 Passat build. If this is the same mirror, the fine print says that this mirror is not compatible for vehicles with rain sensors, which I assume you have. Hence, fewer pins. Just a wild guess, however.

FWIW, Deutsch Auto Parts has a mirror that is compatible with Rain Sensors, Drivers Assistance Package and Lane Assist:

https://www.shopdap.com/auto-dimming...r-and-dap.html

It is VW p/n 000-072-548-F

Digging deeper, it appears that this one is the one compatible with Arteons: 000-072-548-B

https://www.newvwparts.com/oem-parts...ink-000072548b
      The current part for the Arteon works with the light/rain sensor. It dims fine. The problem is that the outside mirror won't dim because it is the only us model with an auto dim exterior mirror, and these inside mirrors are the same across the board without that in mind since no other model offers that feature here. The missing pin tells the auto dim interior mirror that there is also an exterior mirror. Not that there is a rain/light sensor.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234