Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 SEL 4 Motion R-Line w/3rd Row Option Availability

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6MT 19 Tiguan SELP-RLine
      06-24-2019 09:12 AM #1
      Hey guys,

New to this sub forum but I've been on vortex a while. I currently have a 2016 MK7 Golf R and my wife and I are expecting our first child in the middle of August. We looked at a few other SUV's (CRV, Rogue, etc) but my wife seemed to love the Tiguan for the design (interior/exterior), the tech and the 3rd row option.

Now I have a dealer in Jersey that has plenty of SEL 4 Motion w/3rd rows but says that getting this with the R-line is rare. Anyone have trouble finding this combo? Should I push the dealership to get me one with an R-Line or leverage this for better pricing?

The salesman is not exactly offering me to find one. I'm not sure which sites have the best search to find and check on '3rd row option' if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks.
      Instagram: @miamibournes_golfr
      Build Thread: Golf R Build
      United Motorsport Tuned: 93oct @ 28psi 6MT (Launch Control/No Lift Shift/Haldex Tune)
      Best 1/4: 12.4 @ 112mph (1.82 60ft)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R Line 4Mo | 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
      06-24-2019 11:01 AM #2
      Various dealers that I visited also gave me some runarounds as far as availability. What i've found over the years is that if they have the inventory on their own lot, they want you in it and that vehicle gone. Some salesmen will tell you anything they can to get you to buy what is currently in stock. Sure, they can locate and get inventory from other dealers by buying or trading vehicles, but that's not practical for them and they will often pass along a higher cost to you.

With that being said, I recommend you use tools like AutoTrader or Cargurus to search for inventory in your area. You can specify the Make, model, trim level and add key words for the third row to find them. A quick search tells me that what you seek is out there, you may just have to travel further to procure it and possibly deal with other dealers. VW's site also allows you to configure the vehicle you want and search inventory. I used CarGurus and Autotrader to locate what I was looking for and traveled out of state to get it (CT to NY about 2 hours) but it was significantly cheaper than if I had my local dealer get it for me. They even told me to send them my best quote and they'd match or beat it but couldn't come close (~$55 per month more expensive than my best quote (lease)). Sometimes putting in a couple hours of legwork yourself is worth it. Tell any dealers further away exactly what you want and ask for their absolute best price as you have to travel and don't want to have to go there to negotiate.

There was an amazing looking SEL RLine with third row at my dealer up until a few weeks ago - Pyrite Silver with the BLACK R-line package, (super rare color and black package.) I came very close to getting it just based on how sexy it was but the features on a premium outweighed that. (Pic below)

Good luck!

Vehicles
      06-24-2019 11:49 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by CTGeoff View Post
      Various dealers that I visited also gave me some runarounds as far as availability. What i've found over the years is that if they have the inventory on their own lot, they want you in it and that vehicle gone. Some salesmen will tell you anything they can to get you to buy what is currently in stock. Sure, they can locate and get inventory from other dealers by buying or trading vehicles, but that's not practical for them and they will often pass along a higher cost to you.

With that being said, I recommend you use tools like AutoTrader or Cargurus to search for inventory in your area. You can specify the Make, model, trim level and add key words for the third row to find them. A quick search tells me that what you seek is out there, you may just have to travel further to procure it and possibly deal with other dealers. VW's site also allows you to configure the vehicle you want and search inventory. I used CarGurus and Autotrader to locate what I was looking for and traveled out of state to get it (CT to NY about 2 hours) but it was significantly cheaper than if I had my local dealer get it for me. They even told me to send them my best quote and they'd match or beat it but couldn't come close (~$55 per month more expensive than my best quote (lease)). Sometimes putting in a couple hours of legwork yourself is worth it. Tell any dealers further away exactly what you want and ask for their absolute best price as you have to travel and don't want to have to go there to negotiate.

There was an amazing looking SEL RLine with third row at my dealer up until a few weeks ago - Pyrite Silver with the BLACK R-line package, (super rare color and black package.) I came very close to getting it just based on how sexy it was but the features on a premium outweighed that. (Pic below)

Good luck!
      Gotcha and thanks. I am in talks with a dealer in Virginia (Lindsey Dulles) and they seem to have what I want. I have a few questions if you don't mind!

1. Which Dealer in NY did you work with?
      2. If working out of state, what can I ask for to make sure the dealer is going to honor my deal before traveling a few hours so I'm not wasting my time. We are looking at leasing and have worked down our numbers but I know there is room.

Thanks again!
      United Motorsport Tuned: 93oct @ 28psi 6MT (Launch Control/No Lift Shift/Haldex Tune)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R Line 4Mo | 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
      06-24-2019 12:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
      Gotcha and thanks. I am in talks with a dealer in Virginia (Lindsey Dulles) and they seem to have what I want. I have a few questions if you don't mind!

2. If working out of state, what can I ask for to make sure the dealer is going to honor my deal before traveling a few hours so I'm not wasting my time. We are looking at leasing and have worked down our numbers but I know there is room.

Thanks again!
      I used Kingston VW. Laura is the Internet Sales person that responded to my online inquiry within minutes with a competitive quote that crushed all others in CT where I am from. The only other quote I got that was comparable was from a dealer in the south of Boston. Rico took over and oversaw everything from the point I was interested and had specific questions and he is a sales consultant.

Just be clear about your position of being out of state. When you get the quote, verify it has all of the info pertinent to the deal and broken down line by line. For me it was also a lease so they provided everything relevant such as MSRP, Selling Price, Rebates, Price after rebates and sale price from MSRP, any fees, and the residual value. It was all in writing and transparent. When my local dealer whom i've used before tried to match it, they just couldn't and they called me to tell me to make sure I talk with the business manager to confirm everything and ask for any other fees not shown as they felt the price was too low and were stumped as to why. There wasn't anything missing. The only catch was that because I am in CT and they are a NY dealer, I had to register and title the car on my own. I had to title it to VW and they had prepared a letter that was notarized giving me power of attorney to sign for VW, as with a lease VW is the titled owner and as the lessee I get the registration. They had given me a 30-day temp plate so I had a month to visit the DMV. It was very smooth, no "gotchas." They were well prepared and this type of scenario wasn't new to them. Also worth noting and helpful to understand why they were so much cheaper - in CT the dealer can make any fee they want and NY law prohibits them from charging more than $75. Some fees at the dealers I was getting quotes of were upwards of $700. Not sure how NJ works. They rolled CT sales tax into the deal. All in all, it was very simple to handle and well worth the time for me to get a much better price.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have! Maybe your local dealer is willing to match a quote from them or other out-of-state dealers as well to save you the trip and an hour at DMV.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2019VWTiguanSEL-P R-Line 4 motion::2018VWTiguanSEL-P(bough back):: 2017MazdaCX-5GT+premium(Totaled)
      06-24-2019 02:08 PM #5
      have you try that one dealership at Brooklyn? at 4th Ave, i dont rememberer the name of dealership. when i visited my grandparents i saw few SEL Rline around. Not sure if they have 3rd row.
      Good news if 4th Ave doesn’t have it Manhattan open road vw does

8. 06-24-2019 02:28 PM #6
      It was a huge challenge to find an SEL 4Motion with third row and Rline. I used Edmunds car finder to track one down locally and then used the dealer internet quote option and got a really good price. Just be patient and keep looking.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2019VWTiguanSEL-P R-Line 4 motion::2018VWTiguanSEL-P(bough back):: 2017MazdaCX-5GT+premium(Totaled)
      06-24-2019 02:32 PM #7
      heres the open road website. they have one left you gotta be quick.
      https://www.vwmanhattan.com/new-Manh...2B7AX4KM033656

Vehicles
      06-24-2019 03:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CTGeoff View Post
      I used Kingston VW. Laura is the Internet Sales person that responded to my online inquiry within minutes with a competitive quote that crushed all others in CT where I am from. The only other quote I got that was comparable was from a dealer in the south of Boston. Rico took over and oversaw everything from the point I was interested and had specific questions and he is a sales consultant.

Just be clear about your position of being out of state. When you get the quote, verify it has all of the info pertinent to the deal and broken down line by line. For me it was also a lease so they provided everything relevant such as MSRP, Selling Price, Rebates, Price after rebates and sale price from MSRP, any fees, and the residual value. It was all in writing and transparent. When my local dealer whom i've used before tried to match it, they just couldn't and they called me to tell me to make sure I talk with the business manager to confirm everything and ask for any other fees not shown as they felt the price was too low and were stumped as to why. There wasn't anything missing. The only catch was that because I am in CT and they are a NY dealer, I had to register and title the car on my own. I had to title it to VW and they had prepared a letter that was notarized giving me power of attorney to sign for VW, as with a lease VW is the titled owner and as the lessee I get the registration. They had given me a 30-day temp plate so I had a month to visit the DMV. It was very smooth, no "gotchas." They were well prepared and this type of scenario wasn't new to them. Also worth noting and helpful to understand why they were so much cheaper - in CT the dealer can make any fee they want and NY law prohibits them from charging more than $75. Some fees at the dealers I was getting quotes of were upwards of $700. Not sure how NJ works. They rolled CT sales tax into the deal. All in all, it was very simple to handle and well worth the time for me to get a much better price.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have! Maybe your local dealer is willing to match a quote from them or other out-of-state dealers as well to save you the trip and an hour at DMV.
      Thanks, they don't seem to have the one I want but I'm looking. I may PM you a quote I got to see what you think. It looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1054521247 View Post
      have you try that one dealership at Brooklyn? at 4th Ave, i dont rememberer the name of dealership. when i visited my grandparents i saw few SEL Rline around. Not sure if they have 3rd row.
      Good news if 4th Ave doesn’t have it Manhattan open road vw does
      I missed this one. I think CarGurus had this listed but didn't have the dealer name so I thought it was a little sketchy. I'll reach to them and see if they can match my current deal.

Thanks!

11. Member
      06-24-2019 08:37 PM #9
      Hey guys,

New to this sub forum but I've been on vortex a while. I currently have a 2016 MK7 Golf R and my wife and I are expecting our first child in the middle of August. We looked at a few other SUV's (CRV, Rogue, etc) but my wife seemed to love the Tiguan for the design (interior/exterior), the tech and the 3rd row option.

Now I have a dealer in Jersey that has plenty of SEL 4 Motion w/3rd rows but says that getting this with the R-line is rare. Anyone have trouble finding this combo? Should I push the dealership to get me one with an R-Line or leverage this for better pricing?

The salesman is not exactly offering me to find one. I'm not sure which sites have the best search to find and check on '3rd row option' if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks.

I live on Long island and I had the same issue as yours, I was looking for a R line sel premium with 3rd row and they told me it was very hard to find, they placed an order and I had to wait almost 3 months for it.

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 10:06 AM #10
      I inquired and did not hear back. Then I sent the vin to a dealer in Jersey who I was working with and he said the car was sold back in April. Seems like Open Road needs to update there listings. Usually I would have gotten several calls by now so maybe that's why.

Thanks though.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R Line
      06-25-2019 11:26 AM #11
      Hey guys,

Thanks.
      There is no combination that is "rare". The dealerships get exactly the vehicles they order. They create their own rarity by choosing to not order that combination. They order what they feel will be easier to sell. I live in the SF bay area and the closest dealership that had the car I wanted was in Portland Oregon. I called them up and made the deal over the phone, did most of the paperwork via email and then flew up and picked up exactly the car I wanted. SEL-P R Line with NO 3rd row seat in Hab Orange.

The salesman only wants to sell what's on his lot or that he can get in a car swap from a nearby dealership. If he's unwilling to work for you, go elsewhere. Just make sure when you buy it elsewhere that you show it to him the first time you bring it in for service!
      2019 Hab Orange Tiguan SEL-P R line

14. 06-25-2019 05:51 PM #12
      Does color matter?

There is a red one at Nye Volkswagen of Rome

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 10:50 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Liza5783 View Post
      Does color matter?

There is a red one at Nye Volkswagen of Rome
      This one:

https://www.nyevwofrome.com/new-Rome...2B7AX9KM048735

Red was actually one of the ones we liked but I found one already. If that falls through then I may take a look. Though it now seems I'm upgrading to the Premium R-Line SEL trim...oh well. Monthly price wasn't much different.

Thanks. Not sure why that one didn't come up in CarGurus but I guess it could be how it's listed and how the text search works.

16. 06-26-2019 03:55 PM #14
      I think it's crazy that vw still hasn't caught up to demand for the SEL-P R-Line yet. I looked for from the beginning of 2018 right until December 2018 and literally could not get one dealer to take my order. Not one. Ended up in a Q7 and a Elantra Sport GT.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      06-26-2019 07:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by blackfunk View Post
      I think it's crazy that vw still hasn't caught up to demand for the SEL-P R-Line yet. I looked for from the beginning of 2018 right until December 2018 and literally could not get one dealer to take my order. Not one. Ended up in a Q7 and a Elantra Sport GT.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      Thanks and I agree. I shouldn't have to track one down in different states. I have a couple I'm negotiating with but should be in one by Friday. I'll post back when I do.

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion
      06-27-2019 07:43 PM #16
      Hey guys,

Thanks.
      We recently purchased the 2019 Tiguan SEL 4 Motion and really like it. There were no R-Lines available. I think you would be better to try and negotiate a better price.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line
      06-27-2019 08:05 PM #17
      Black 2019 SEL-P R Line with 3 rows here. Bought off the lot here in the DC area. I didn’t even know or expected it to have a 3rd row. It’ll be nice when the kids are older, but right now we don’t use it. The manual states it’s for small adults (5’2”) or children. I want to say they’re pretty easy to find in this region all things considered. If you want I can check some dealers here and the one I went through.

Sent while on the run

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 VW Passat TDI, 19 Tiguan SEL P R-Line
      06-27-2019 08:35 PM #18
      We got our SEL premium r line with 3rd row. But it took weeks to find in the Pacific Northwest. I recall there was a dealership in VA. That had many. I think it was Alexandria VW. I was tempted to make the trip from Washington state to Virginia just on the sheer selection they had at the time.

Vehicles
      '04 GTI 1.8T / '06 Touareg V8
      06-28-2019 01:23 AM #19
      congrats!

You do not need to change vehicles...trust me.

You don't need a tiguan with your first child (and one with 3 rows at that...really?). Everything you need can/will fit into the .:R. When we were first time parents, we probably took more stuff than necessary; understandable, all new parents usually do. Learn to pack essentials and learn to pack lean and you will do fine.

Yes, little ones need things, but not as much as you think. The .:R has four doors, so loading is easy, unlike my 2-door '04 GTI. The stroller might be a tight fit, but don't buy the biggest fricken travel system out there. We did one from Britax (with carrier) that was light, compact, and had room to grow with the kid and it fit in my GTI as well as the '04 Pathfinder (primary kid hauler) at the time. The GTI was a tight fit, but everything fit in the car when we needed it to. We just didn't make large trips; only smart trips as necessary.

The .:R will offer enough space whether the child seat is on the left, right or middle...unless you and your wife are tall, i.e. both 6'+. Or, you take road trips all the time and must have more space. If that is the case, just step up to the Atlas and be done with it. It will have all the space you will ever need and then some.

I'm probably too late to change your mind, but this is just my thoughts because I've been there. You do not need to trade in the .:R; I see no advantage in it other than maybe some more height in the passenger area and possibly in the back. It will be less fun to drive and I'm certain you'll get to a point and say, "why did I/we get rid of the .:R for this?"

Again, my thoughts/opinion. YMMV.
      SAABSAAB__#savethemanuals_>> Go FROGS !!! <<
      SAABSAAB__Subaru NA give us a 6spd Levorg WRX WAGON!!!
      SAABSAAB__MAZDA NA give us a 6spd Mazda6 Wagon in Touring trim, just like the sedan!!!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line
      06-28-2019 09:16 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jrl_1644 View Post
      We got our SEL premium r line with 3rd row. But it took weeks to find in the Pacific Northwest. I recall there was a dealership in VA. That had many. I think it was Alexandria VW. I was tempted to make the trip from Washington state to Virginia just on the sheer selection they had at the time.
      Alexandria VW is where I got mine and they seem to have the largest selection in the area. Sheehy VW, Karen Radley VW and Lindsay VW also have a good selection.

Sent while on the run

23. 06-28-2019 10:35 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Reihenmotor5 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by jrl_1644 View Post
      Alexandria VW is where I got mine and they seem to have the largest selection in the area. Sheehy VW, Karen Radley VW and Lindsay VW also have a good selection.

Sent while on the run
      Alexandria VW was probably the most dishonest for me along with Laurel when it came to pricing, won't even consider them for my next.

24. 06-28-2019 01:06 PM #22
      Just signed today on an SEL-P R-Line with third row. I wouldn’t say they are rare, but they are not the commonest configuration which is to be expected by the pricing.

I didn’t want third row and I wanted the color combination. If you want a specific configuration you will need to be patient. If you are flexible on equipment and color, vehicles are available.

Use cargurus to find vehicles.

25. 06-28-2019 02:47 PM #23

Thanks again!
      Just a heads up: Lindsey Dulles VW is a classic bait and switch dealer. They also have really high processing fees.

Good luck in your search!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Tiguan SEL-P, 14 Jeep GC, 19 Yamaha Tracer 900GT, 18 GM Volt Premier, FFR 818
      06-28-2019 03:08 PM #24
      I've never had good experiences in VA as a MD resident with all the extra dealer processing fees they throw into the mix in VA. It's more than double the fee's in MD.

I have gotten dealers in MD to transfer cars I found on VA dealers lots though which saved me.

Not sure if it makes sense, just ready you were in NY. Not too far of a drive to MD/VA if you can save some bucks though.
      Last edited by doofoo; 06-28-2019 at 04:02 PM.

27. 06-28-2019 06:53 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by shawnkline View Post

Thanks again!
      Just a heads up: Lindsey Dulles VW is a classic bait and switch dealer. They also have really high processing fees.

Good luck in your search!
      I bought my 18 at Lindsay, they were the only ones that broke down each part of the price for me in advance as to what parts were not everyone qualified for and what was based on standard financing. Agree VA fees at 399-499$ higher than MD so that should be figured in.

Also be aware, Marylands lemon law only covers you for vehicles registered in MD, while Virginia covers you if you buy in Virginia (even if your register somewhere else, hence you may have dual state coverage.) Ie MD consumer buying in
      West VA has coverage from both states, where a West Virginia consumer buying in Maryland may not be covered by any state lemon law. (I could be wrong, but fairly certain that's correct, as I've dealt with DC registered and VA purchased).

So I'm usually willing to pay the extra processing fee for the Virginia coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast