We're currently leasing a 2018 GTI Autobahn (Canada) with about 24,000 kms on it. Overall the car has been a disappointment given the price tag.
So far it's gone back to the dealer for:
- A/C stopped working after 2 months of ownership (broken part, 4 days at the dealer)
- Gas cap wouldn't open (sanded down part of the closure on the lid)
- Rear brakes squealing abnormal amounts
- Infotainment screen developed vertical lines (replaced with new unit as per TSB)
- Lane assist would "stick" at highway speeds and required pressure to "override" it (apparently a software fix)
The dealer was really good about fixing all these issues, but it's been a real inconvenience.
More recently the car has developed 2 (potentially 3) new problems:
1. A/C Stopped working again
2. Pop/Clunk when turning steering while stopped/moving slow...more often when the car is reversing uphill. It can be felt around the gas/brake pedal area and slightly in steering
3. Reserving is just unpredictable
I'm not sure if #3 is an issue as this is our first VW/DSG. 7/10 times when reversing into my driveway (tight and very slight uphill, so I have to go slow), I need to come to a complete stop, adjust, then continue reversing. Usually what happens is the car will jolt so hard it feels like you've hit a brick wall. It scared the crap out of us the first time. So much so that we got out to make sure nothing was hit.
I've booked the car in again for #1 and #2, but I'm wondering if it's worth mentioning #3.
If it makes any difference I don't plan to keep this car at the end of the lease, and did purchased the extended damage protection.
Thanks for any feedback