VWVortex.com - 2018 GTI rant and DSG question
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2018 GTI rant and DSG question

1. 06-24-2019 10:46 AM #1
      Hi all,

We're currently leasing a 2018 GTI Autobahn (Canada) with about 24,000 kms on it. Overall the car has been a disappointment given the price tag.

So far it's gone back to the dealer for:

- A/C stopped working after 2 months of ownership (broken part, 4 days at the dealer)
      - Gas cap wouldn't open (sanded down part of the closure on the lid)
      - Rear brakes squealing abnormal amounts
      - Infotainment screen developed vertical lines (replaced with new unit as per TSB)
      - Lane assist would "stick" at highway speeds and required pressure to "override" it (apparently a software fix)

The dealer was really good about fixing all these issues, but it's been a real inconvenience.

More recently the car has developed 2 (potentially 3) new problems:

1. A/C Stopped working again
      2. Pop/Clunk when turning steering while stopped/moving slow...more often when the car is reversing uphill. It can be felt around the gas/brake pedal area and slightly in steering
      3. Reserving is just unpredictable

I'm not sure if #3 is an issue as this is our first VW/DSG. 7/10 times when reversing into my driveway (tight and very slight uphill, so I have to go slow), I need to come to a complete stop, adjust, then continue reversing. Usually what happens is the car will jolt so hard it feels like you've hit a brick wall. It scared the crap out of us the first time. So much so that we got out to make sure nothing was hit.

I've booked the car in again for #1 and #2, but I'm wondering if it's worth mentioning #3.

If it makes any difference I don't plan to keep this car at the end of the lease, and did purchased the extended damage protection.

Thanks for any feedback
      Last edited by [email protected]; 06-24-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: redundancy in title

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-24-2019 11:43 AM #2
      ouch.

Yes, mention #3 to the dealer. Mention EVERYTHING. Even after it's out of warranty, if you have it in the system and have a track record of working with the dealer, you're in a much better place.
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn DSG
      06-24-2019 01:12 PM #3
      I had issue #3 with the reversing in the extreme cold during winter. They claimed they couldn't reproduce the issue though so I have to wait for next winter.
      2018 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn with DAP
      Dark Iron Blue
      19,300km
      Falken Azenis FK510 with EBC Yellowstuff & Motul RBF600

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-24-2019 01:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      ouch.

Yes, mention #3 to the dealer. Mention EVERYTHING. Even after it's out of warranty, if you have it in the system and have a track record of working with the dealer, you're in a much better place.
      True...i suppose as long as I mention it they can't really hold it against me when the lease is up.
      I went to the GTI from a base model 15 year old Toyota Matrix with 300,000+km, so I just don't know what's normal and what's not with these fancy new cars.
      I should mention the A/C worked quite well in the Matrix...I do miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      I had issue #3 with the reversing in the extreme cold during winter. They claimed they couldn't reproduce the issue though so I have to wait for next winter.
      Yes, it did occur more often during winter, specially if reversing and the wheel lost traction. Must be a Toronto winter, Dark Iron Blue thing

I can reproduce the issue on my driveway fairly easily.

7. 06-24-2019 02:04 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I went to the GTI from a base model 15 year old Toyota Matrix with 300,000+km, so I just don't know what's normal and what's not with these fancy new cars.
      I should mention the A/C worked quite well in the Matrix...I do miss it.
      Was that Matrix silver?

9 months ago I bought my daughter a silver 2005 Matrix with 250,000 miles on it. Slower than molasses in January, but runs like the day it came out of the factory. We switched out the radio, and on she goes.

What a great car. I understand your situation.

I came from 35 years of driving nothing but Hondas and Toyotas, and 18 months ago jumped into my GTI. I accepted that it would be a different ownership experience, but that was a fine tradeoff to get that particular car. No regrets. Of course, I've not had what you've had.

Still, knowing what I do today, it would be hard for me not to make my next car a GTI/R/Audi S3. Yeah, it's not a Toyota--but that's both good *and* bad.
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

8. 06-24-2019 02:27 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      Was that Matrix silver?

9 months ago I bought my daughter a silver 2005 Matrix with 250,000 miles on it. Slower than molasses in January, but runs like the day it came out of the factory. We switched out the radio, and on she goes.

What a great car. I understand your situation.

I came from 35 years of driving nothing but Hondas and Toyotas, and 18 months ago jumped into my GTI. I accepted that it would be a different ownership experience, but that was a fine tradeoff to get that particular car. No regrets. Of course, I've not had what you've had.

Still, knowing what I do today, it would be hard for me not to make my next car a GTI/R/Audi S3. Yeah, it's not a Toyota--but that's both good *and* bad.
      It was indeed a silver matrix, but a 2003. We kept it in good shape with regular oil changes, tranny flush, brake service and such.
      It did new shocks at 220k, but mechanically nothing else "broke" until about 290,000km. At that point the transmission occasionally refused to switch to 4th gear, which was apparently a common issue.

The GTI has been incredibly fun to drive, but having to take time off work to drop-off and pick-up the car so often is really taking away from the enjoying its ownership.
      I was initially so impressed I managed to convince my wife to get the R when the lease expired...but now we're both considering switching makes altogether

Hopefully my dealer can address these issues and I won't have to make another visit for the remaining 55,000km left on the lease. They really have been helpful, so kudos to them.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE Performance 3-Door in Pure White
      06-24-2019 04:01 PM #7
      None of this is normal. If Canada has “lemon laws” you probably need to file one for a new car.
      Commonly accepted issues that require fixing at times are squeaks/creaks. Issues like the AC not working are not common or acceptable on a Mk7.

Sent from Winterfell using Ravens.
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn DSG
      06-25-2019 11:24 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1966 View Post
      None of this is normal. If Canada has “lemon laws” you probably need to file one for a new car.
      Ontario has arbitration laws that's a pain to go through. Aside from the reversing issue and door not opening wide in extreme cold, everything has been perfect thus far.
      Last edited by geokilla; 06-25-2019 at 11:26 AM.
      2018 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn with DAP
      Dark Iron Blue
      19,300km
      Falken Azenis FK510 with EBC Yellowstuff & Motul RBF600

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT
      06-26-2019 03:42 PM #9
      Sounds like a bit of a lemon my friend. My Canadian GTI is 2015 that I got in June 2014, one of the first ones on the road. Just hit 90,000 KM and 0 issues so far (other then doing the recalls I got letters for).

Keep taking it in for any issues, make sure you are happy and everything works as it should.

This is not normal for these cars. Mine is manual so I am not sure about the DSG thing but I dont think its normal, dealer will want it reproduced.