VWVortex.com - Has anyone done an "OEM+" shift knob?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Has anyone done an "OEM+" shift knob?

1. 06-24-2019 01:30 PM #1
      Hey guys, I'm after something that I haven't been able to find:

A heavier shift knob that doesn't appear to be aftermarket at all. No company name/logo, etc.

I've seen the "R" Euro Impulse knob and that's the best I can find thus far. Does anyone else have any recommendations? If possible, I'd fill my stock knob with lead and call it a day.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 R
      06-24-2019 02:06 PM #2
      https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VtYnhYVXNIcWh3

Sorry for the horrendous focus. Custom made by WC Lathe Werks. With the piston shape, mine might look too aftermarket, but you can make them as plain or personalized as you'd like. There's limited options listed on his site for the mk7, but any design he has for any car he can probably make for the mk7. I was his first mk7 customer and everything worked perfectly. The black top is a temperature neutral copolymer, so even in 100+ degree SoCal heat, no burnt hands.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      06-24-2019 02:13 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkArrow View Post
      https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VtYnhYVXNIcWh3

Sorry for the horrendous focus. Custom made by WC Lathe Werks. With the piston shape, mine might look too aftermarket, but you can make them as plain or personalized as you'd like. There's limited options listed on his site for the mk7, but any design he has for any car he can probably make for the mk7. I was his first mk7 customer and everything worked perfectly. The black top is a temperature neutral copolymer, so even in 100+ degree SoCal heat, no burnt hands.
      That looks very aftermarket...
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      06-24-2019 02:46 PM #4
      Look at my thread here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...100-shift-knob you may like it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
      I lubed it up really well. I got it in eventually but it was nothing like how they show in the video. Usually the case, but I'm friggin sore still!

7. 06-24-2019 03:20 PM #5
      Thanks guys. I like the plain black Raceseng knob quite a bit. The blue ring on the base isn't what I'm looking for, but the knob is a nice option.

Vehicles
      06-24-2019 03:31 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Imped View Post
      Thanks guys. I like the plain black Raceseng knob quite a bit. The blue ring on the base isn't what I'm looking for, but the knob is a nice option.
      You can have a black ring. They have 3 options available.
      I lubed it up really well. I got it in eventually but it was nothing like how they show in the video. Usually the case, but I'm friggin sore still!

9. 06-24-2019 03:48 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      You can have a black ring. They have 3 options available.
      Looking at it, is the ring required? Can the knob be screwed down all the way onto the base, leaving the ring not needed? Or would there be a gap that the ring would fill?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 R
      06-24-2019 03:50 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      That looks very aftermarket...
      Considering I acknowledged that, I'm not sure what your point is..... That's not the only option is you spent 10 seconds looking at the WC Lathe Werks website.... including a blank black sphere?

Vehicles
      2016 6MT MK7 Golf R-- 2017 Camaro ZL1 1LE
      06-24-2019 03:54 PM #9
      I am a big fan of my BFI knob. Ive had it for over 3 years and the leather on the knob really matches the rest of the inside of the car. You can get a coin for the top that showcases the gate positions too.

Last edited by joszer; 06-24-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Vehicles
      06-24-2019 04:01 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Imped View Post
      Looking at it, is the ring required? Can the knob be screwed down all the way onto the base, leaving the ring not needed? Or would there be a gap that the ring would fill?
      Not 100% sure.

Vehicles
      Sepang B8 SQ5
      06-24-2019 04:02 PM #11
      I look around for the same thing and landed on the Raceseng Sphereology. It’s a clean look and the R ties in well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      06-24-2019 04:10 PM #12
      I've looked around a bit for a good OEM+ knob. Honestly, the best shift knob I've ever had was a JCW knob in my old R56 MCS. Fit perfectly in my hand, had contours for your fingers on the back, and a nice smooth top that fit the palm of my hand perfectly. If it weren't for the JCW logo on the top, I might buy one and see if I can find a way to make it work. Really wish there was a better OEM+ option. That Raceeng knob looks a little to cheap for my tastes, and I don't like ball-shaped shifters.

15. 06-24-2019 04:19 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by joszer View Post
      I am a big fan of my BFI knob. Ive had it for over 3 years and the leather on the knob really matches the rest of the inside of the car. You can get a coin for the top that showcases the gate positions too.

This is the perfect example of an ideal knob that gets knocked out due to the in-your-face BFI logo. Even their gate coins have their logo. But, a custom coin wouldn't be too hard.

I love that they have a VW "golf ball" option. If it didn't have their logo, that's what I'd buy.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      06-24-2019 04:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by pnwbrdr View Post
      I've looked around a bit for a good OEM+ knob. Honestly, the best shift knob I've ever had was a JCW knob in my old R56 MCS. Fit perfectly in my hand, had contours for your fingers on the back, and a nice smooth top that fit the palm of my hand perfectly. If it weren't for the JCW logo on the top, I might buy one and see if I can find a way to make it work. Really wish there was a better OEM+ option. That Raceeng knob looks a little to cheap for my tastes, and I don't like ball-shaped shifters.

That seems only worthwhile if you death grip the shifter every time you shift, which seems like a good way to miss gears. I like to shift with my fingers or palm of the hand so the "jerkin my chicken" grip seems counter-intuitive to me.

Vehicles
      06-24-2019 05:27 PM #15

Raceseng shifters are very high quality, they're also very well balanced and a pleasure to shift. Obviously to each their own but the shifter on your photo does not look high quality (all cheap plastic) and probably is too light for the R.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      06-24-2019 05:28 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      That seems only worthwhile if you death grip the shifter every time you shift, which seems like a good way to miss gears. I like to shift with my fingers or palm of the hand so the "jerkin my chicken" grip seems counter-intuitive to me.
      Bolded for truth.

Moving forward, palm of hand. Moving backwards, hand grip, pulling with fingers. There's no inherent reason you'd miss-shift, aside from just not being used to it. I often shift this way even with the OEM shifter. I just find it more comfortable.

Vehicles
      2016 MK7 Golf R
      06-24-2019 05:59 PM #17

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      06-24-2019 07:05 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Raceseng shifters are very high quality, they're also very well balanced and a pleasure to shift. Obviously to each their own but the shifter on your photo does not look high quality (all cheap plastic) and probably is too light for the R.
      It was real carbon fiber and leather. Not cheap at all. The little bottom piece that holds up the shift boot probably was plastic, but it was certainly a very nice piece. JCW doesn't make cheap parts, and is the epitome of OEM+, except obviously only for Mini.

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 03:04 AM #19
      It was real carbon fiber and leather. Not cheap at all. The little bottom piece that holds up the shift boot probably was plastic, but it was certainly a very nice piece. JCW doesn't make cheap parts, and is the epitome of OEM+, except obviously only for Mini.
      Can't tell from the picture but I'll take your word for it. As long as it works for you, that's all that matters.

Vehicles
      86 Jetta GL, 94 Jetta 2.0, 00 GTI 1.8T, 02 Passat 1.8t, 05 TT 225, 02 M3
      06-25-2019 03:15 AM #20
      I was after a heavier OEM'ish shifter as well but it was also important for me that the base of the knob wasn't skinny so it could blend well with the boot and not bunch up or end up wrinkly. I also wanted a shiftknob that isn't affected by hot or cold seasons.

I went with Raceseng too. I love this shiftknob. It's a perfect match IMO with the R's interior and met every criteria of mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6MT 19 Tiguan SELP-RLine
      06-25-2019 09:23 AM #21
      I have the Raceseng Ology Series. You can switch the tops and I have two. Mine is a custom translucent blue though so it’s not too OEM. I think it matches the interior wall though.

Spherology Cover

Topology Cover
      Instagram: @miamibournes_golfr
      Build Thread: Golf R Build
      United Motorsport Tuned: 93oct @ 28psi 6MT (Launch Control/No Lift Shift/Haldex Tune)
      Best 1/4: 12.4 @ 112mph (1.82 60ft)

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      06-25-2019 03:53 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by joszer View Post

I have this knob as well and love the weight and feel of it.
      2016 Golf R 6MT | Lapiz Blue | UM Stage 2 | VMR600 Intake | CTS Downpipe | SB Stage 3 DD clutch | Spulen Short Shifter w/ BFI knob