Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Wife left me so I did a thing

1. Member
      06-24-2019 02:00 PM #1
      Long story short about 3 months ago my wife at the time decided she wasn't happy and wanted to separate. As bad as the situation was given we had 2 kids I tried to make the best of it. Then it dawned on me I could finally do what I wanted vehicle wise. She wouldn't allow me to have a car that I truly enjoyed because of wither price, fuel consumption or unreliability. About a month I go I started looking at new cars, went and test drove a Rabbit Gti, Civic Si and WRX. Pricing wasn't where I needed so I decided to look at cheaper project type cars but everything I liked was too much money or too much work. I was looking at everything from Mk4 Gti's to forth gen Mustang GT's. A few weeks went by and I got a call from my VW dealer wanting to know if I was still interested, I told them yes but needed to be at a certain payment. At this point I decided to revisit the Civic Si and the WRX. I wasn't a huge fan of the SI both in appearance and the drive. I liked the WRX but I just couldn't get the deal where I needed. So back to VW I went, with a little back and forth I agreed to a deal on a base 2019 Gti 6 speed. I walked away from my 2017 Jetta with no debit carried over and got a decent amount off the lease price that is made the deal too hard to say no to. I had test drove a Rabbit trim level before and while I liked it I actually liked the base model slightly more, I wasn't a fan of the 18's and wanted red so I was happy to take the base model.

It's been such a long time since I had a car that actually made me smile. I know it's not some crazy excotic rare car or has a ton of power but the way it feels is a huge improvement over the Jetta in so many ways. Just getting behind the wheel makes my day and I really needed that. I don't have anything crazy planned for it other than just drive it. I'd like to get the windows tinted and maybe a set of wheels at some point but not in a rush.

The view from the front of my store.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      06-24-2019 02:04 PM #2
      I cannot imagine why a base GTI is not a good family car.

We have always had some variety of Golf for my spouse - he loves them and they are fun and easy to own. Plus - hatch! I have no idea how a Jetta is a better family car - the hatch wins every competition - looks, space, value, etc. Even fun - you can take fun with you if you have a hatchback.

Maybe she did you a favor?
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      06-24-2019 02:04 PM #3
      Good for you, man

5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      06-24-2019 02:27 PM #4
      Congrats on getting a car you enjoy. I've almost always had something in my garage that makes me smile. It's good for mental health.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-24-2019 02:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by AVCon View Post
      I know it's not some crazy excotic rare car or has a ton of power...
      You're right, but it doesn't need to be; there's something magic about how GTIs get so many things right. It's like the Goldilocks' choice of cars.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-24-2019 02:30 PM #6
      I feel like I hear about someone getting divorced about every 15 minutes these days. In the past month four couples I know well have started the process.

It's not an easy thing to do but if you can't work things out sometimes you have to move on. Not worth having a miserable life together.

Side Note - Just remember the kids. My parents got divorced when my sister and I were young and my parents still can't get along to this day. At 40 years old I was getting married and had to deal with BS. Even if she is unreasonable try to be a bigger person if you can.

GTI looks great and good for you doing something to help make you feel better. My wife and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and I can't imagine her coming home and telling me she was leaving. Keep your chin up man.

8. 06-24-2019 02:33 PM #7
      Congrats! Similar situation, I bought myself this divorce present last week

https://ibb.co/tCLbkTg
      Last edited by Chiropractor JW; 06-24-2019 at 02:41 PM.
      We've revamped our website - please check it out! www.chirostandard.com

Vehicles
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      06-24-2019 02:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

We have always had some variety of Golf for my spouse - he loves them and they are fun and easy to own. Plus - hatch! I have no idea how a Jetta is a better family car - the hatch wins every competition - looks, space, value, etc. Even fun - you can take fun with you if you have a hatchback.

QFT
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      06-24-2019 03:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      You're right, but it doesn't need to be; there's something magic about how GTIs get so many things right. It's like the Goldilocks' choice of cars.
      this^ it is not the best in many things but it does so much right. Reasonably fast, economical, practical with a fair bit of luxury. Enjoy the ride and I hope life (& the car) treats you well

Jim
      My glass is half-full of empty

06-24-2019 03:07 PM #10
      Sorry to hear about your marriage looking like it's over. Divorce is down since its peak in the early 1980s but it's still projected that 42-45% of current marriages are going to end in divorce, which is a pretty depressingly high number. Congrats on being able to pick up a reasonably responsible car finally. In general you don't want to make any financial decisions while going through a divorce, but a GTI isn't the same as buying a house or spending a bunch of money on something petty. Almost everybody needs a car, after all.

I'd also normally recommend the divorce program that I went through but I don't think they have it in Canada. Take care of yourself and don't rush anything. I'm at 5 years since my divorce and I still don't date. My youngest is out of school now though, so my life is starting to get "normal" again, so to speak. It gets better, it will just take a while and similar to a broken leg, you can't rush the process or you'll just hurt yourself even worse.

12. Member
      06-24-2019 03:07 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

The Jetta was just a cheap car and had more trunk/ rear seat room. It was a good car just wasn't any fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I feel like I hear about someone getting divorced about every 15 minutes these days. In the past month four couples I know well have started the process.

It's not an easy thing to do but if you can't work things out sometimes you have to move on. Not worth having a miserable life together.

Side Note - Just remember the kids. My parents got divorced when my sister and I were young and my parents still can't get along to this day. At 40 years old I was getting married and had to deal with BS. Even if she is unreasonable try to be a bigger person if you can.

GTI looks great and good for you doing something to help make you feel better. My wife and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and I can't imagine her coming home and telling me she was leaving. Keep your chin up man.
      It was a good kick in the nuts, thats for sure. We had our problems but thought it was going well, she had other ideas. It honestly was the worst feeling in the world, it destroyed me for weeks until I decided life goes on and to make the best of it I could. The frist month I was pissed/ hurt, for a few reasons. I've moved past that now, the kids are important to me and as much as I want to hate her I know it would make it too hard on the kids. My ex and I talk almost daily and get along fine,..........at the moment. But I know all it will take is one small thing to piss either of us off and **** will go sideways in a hurry.

I don't know if it's something in the water or what but I've had 2 other close friends split from their partners in the last few months, and it's the women leaving the men. I also know of countless more couples splitting in the last year that I either just know of or friends with.

But the car is soemthing I did for myself, I needed soemthing back in my life that made be happy and got some enjoyment from. And for the money I'm not much more than I was paying for the Jetta which is awesome.

13. 06-24-2019 03:09 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I feel like I hear about someone getting divorced about every 15 minutes these days. In the past month four couples I know well have started the process. If you can't work things out sometimes you have to move on. Not worth having a miserable life together.
      Sometimes I think that divorce is the natural path for marriage unless you work really hard to keep course correcting. There are so many things to make a marriage not work and so few things that make it hang together.

14. 06-24-2019 03:11 PM #13
      I've had 2 other close friends split from their partners in the last few months, and it's the women leaving the men.
      One big things is women don't 'need' men the way they used to. They can make more money than us and it's not like the 1950s. So if they don't like how things are at, there's no reason for them to stay.

06-24-2019 03:20 PM #14
      It's exactly the opposite for me. I come home everyday and I'm surprised that my wife still wants to stay with me. Congrats on the divorce and GTI. No reason to mourn something that didn't work. Make sure to sleep with her sister or best friend, you owe it to yourself.

Vehicles
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo, Rennsemmel, Alfa mit Identitätskrise und BusBus.
      06-24-2019 03:33 PM #15
      Sad to hear about the divorce but sometimes it is the best way to preserve one’s ‚sanity’.

We have the diesel variety (GTD) and I understand what you mean when you say the car puts a big smile on your face. The MK7 chassis is really top notch as it comes from the factory.

I wish you many smiles per gallon :-)

Sent by pidgeon mail.
      Last edited by Lupo TDI; 06-24-2019 at 03:37 PM.
      Fiat 126 bis build thread here. Error 404: 0-60 not found.
      Fiat 128, the stroppy cow.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-24-2019 03:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Lupo TDI View Post
      The MK7 chassis is really top notch as it comes from the factory.
      It is. FWD aside, in a couple ways I think MQB cars have more BMW dynamics than many current BMWs. Stiff, agile, responsive steering, tuned suspension, etc. They go over the road well.

18. Member
      06-24-2019 03:40 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      It's exactly the opposite for me. I come home everyday and I'm surprised that my wife still wants to stay with me. Congrats on the divorce and GTI. No reason to mourn something that didn't work. Make sure to sleep with her sister or best friend, you owe it to yourself.
      You haven't seen her sister but her best friend is a gay dude so that could work lol.

19. 06-24-2019 03:43 PM #18
      Congrats on the car

and maybe on the divorce

My sister picked up the same car as she also hit the reset button on life. She took a 300 mile road trip on a Saturday because she loved driving the thing so much. Its good to have things that make you smile in life
      Boiler Up!

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      06-24-2019 03:45 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      It's exactly the opposite for me. I come home everyday and I'm surprised that my wife still wants to stay with me.
      You must have a 9" penis

21. 06-24-2019 04:33 PM #20
      OP, I am really sorry to hear about your marriage and I hope everything works out for the best.

I know it's not some crazy excotic rare car or has a ton of power but the way it feels is a huge improvement over the Jetta in so many ways. Just getting behind the wheel makes my day and I really needed that. I don't have anything crazy planned for it other than just drive it. I'd like to get the windows tinted and maybe a set of wheels at some point but not in a rush.

The view from the front of my store.
      The beauty about these cars that they do not need to drain your bank account or make tons of power that you probably won't be able to use on a public road anyway. It is a car you can use on day to day basis but it will still feel special in its own way. There is nothing like a nice coffee run on a weekend morning, working the gears on your favorite curvy road to clear your head .

Best of luck and congrats!

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      06-24-2019 04:38 PM #21
      Best of luck. Life is way too short to be unhappy all the time.

Enjoy the new ride!

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-24-2019 04:39 PM #22
      Nice car.

Now, remember, the best way to get back at her is to plaster her noodz all over the internet.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

24. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      06-24-2019 04:56 PM #23
      Yikes, man.

You've got me counting my lucky stars over here; my wife recently said to me "once we get all this work wrapped up, you'll be able to get into a fun car one of these days" and I already drive a GTI
      THCK

Formerly (allegedly) fbmphil

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 E46 325iT, 03 E39 M5, 18 F87 M2
      06-24-2019 05:11 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      You must have a 9" penis
      From the GROUND, amirite guys??

Vehicles
      RS3
      06-24-2019 05:28 PM #25
      Congrats on the car and looks like you're on a good path from the divorce.

I have no idea how my wife tolerates me but sofar we are good. Things change... that's a constant.

May it serve you welland bring lots of smiles per gallon!

Sent from my mobile office.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast