VWVortex.com - Move over M5, BMW turned a 5 Series into a 711-horsepower electric monster!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Move over M5, BMW turned a 5 Series into a 711-horsepower electric monster!

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      06-25-2019 09:40 AM #1

Look ma! No tailpipes!

The BMW M Next concept is unquestionably the highlight of the company's big "Next" conference. It looks like a modern M1 and has a 600 horsepower plug-in hybrid powertrain, so how could it not? Yet BMW also revealed something with an even more powerful and potentially more interesting powertrain, and it was wrapped up in a current BMW 5 Series body.

It's called Project BEV, and its a development mule BMW created for experimenting with electric powertrains. And what that's resulted in is a fully electric 5 Series with 711 horsepower, which is 111 more horsepower than the current twin-turbo V8 M5 or the aforementioned M Next concept. Power comes from a trio of electric motors. One is mounted up front to provide extra traction as needed, while the other two are paired at the rear, one for each wheel. Unsurprisingly, this design allows for active torque vectoring that could make for some impressive cornering ability. And with all-wheel drive and 711 electric ponies, BMW says Project BEV will hit 62 mph in under 3 seconds.

There are a couple other interesting tidbits about Project BEV, such as the fact that BMW got everything packaged into the 5 Series without taking up passenger space. That's seriously impressive that BMW could get three motors and their accompanying batteries, cooling equipment and more stuffed into a production car that was never designed for it in the first place. Granted, BMW doesn't say anything about cargo space, so the trunk may have lost some usability, but its impressive nonetheless. Additionally, all three motors were built without using any rare-earth metals. The company notes that the upcoming iX3 electric crossover's motor also lacks rare earth metals.

Naturally, this being a research vehicle, we'll probably see various production vehicles take advantage of some of the technologies demonstrated, but at more modest performance scales. We sure hope BMW does decide to put a version of this super-powered three-motor powertrain into a production car, though, because it sounds like a blast.
      https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/25/...ctric-monster/

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 06-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-25-2019 09:46 AM #2
      no question, this type of car is the very near future. I still believe several car manufactures will get caught with their pants down as a result of their slow adaptation to electric.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      06-25-2019 09:59 AM #3
      **** yeah BMW. Is it bad that this is really the only new BMW I’ve been excited about since the E90 M3?

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 10:06 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      no question, this type of car is the very near future. I still believe several car manufactures will get caught with their pants down as a result of their slow adaptation to electric.
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      **** yeah BMW. Is it bad that this is really the only new BMW I’ve been excited about since the E90 M3?
      Heck yeah. This could signal that BMW's i brand could be getting a performance variant...call it an iM5 maybe? INB4 Scion iM lawsuit.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      06-25-2019 10:12 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Heck yeah. This could signal that BMW's i brand could be getting a performance variant...call it an iM5 maybe? INB4 Scion iM lawsuit.
      I would legit want an Mi6. I mean, Bond drove a 7er in the 90s right?

Vehicles
      2019 BMW M550i
      06-25-2019 10:12 AM #6
      Wonder how much it weighs? Camo doesn't seem to be needed either, looks like a standard M550i
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

8. 06-25-2019 10:25 AM #7
      Fantastic.

Look at the ground clearance under the rocker. Hope that's heavy armor.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

9. 06-25-2019 12:23 PM #8
      This would probably be more reliable than a gas bmw though im sure bmw would find a way to over engineer it to make it moreu nreliable

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-25-2019 12:53 PM #9
      Eh, interesting curiosity. HP numbers don't generally get my attention any longer---and with EVs, I'm more interested in the practical aspects than the performance. Although it would be interesting to know how something like this does bombing down the autobahn or on a track day session. This doesn't really interest me in the least---I'd rather see some smart engineering come to the (more) affordable world of EVs. Something to replace our Tucson, for example.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      06-25-2019 12:54 PM #10
      Yes! This is what I want. An electric 5-Series. No BS futuristic try-hard design. Why is this so hard for OEMs to understand?

Audi –*Give me an electric A6 with a frunk!

06-25-2019 12:59 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Yes! This is what I want. An electric 5-Series. No BS futuristic try-hard design. Why is this so hard for OEMs to understand?

Audi –*Give me an electric A6 with a frunk!
      BMW long-ago announced they were going to have electric versions of their otherwise conventional model lines. And as you know Audi already has this for sale:

There's room for both.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      06-25-2019 01:08 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      Fantastic.

Look at the ground clearance under the rocker. Hope that's heavy armor.
      Some serious skid plates under there...for European cobblestone streets.

Vehicles
      Mk1, mk7
      06-25-2019 01:59 PM #13
      Electric is the future and I'm quite excited to be in the times to experience it.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      06-25-2019 02:00 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      BMW long-ago announced they were going to have electric versions of their otherwise conventional model lines. And as you know Audi already has this for sale:
      You kinda just glossed over the part where I said I wanted an electrified traditional sedan lol.

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      06-25-2019 02:10 PM #15
      But are they piping in the electrical hum through the speakers?

j/k

I love where this is headed. I do hope that BMW would just keep the nicer design language from the sedans for the BEV version too.

17. Member
      06-25-2019 02:18 PM #16
      I know BMW and the 'legacy' car makers that are moving towards electric had spent much time trying to get their 'drive by wire' systems to interact much like the old mechanical ones use to.
      This is what I really hated from my test drive of the Model3, it was so extremely dull to drive with no real feedback, and a weird feeling accelerator and brakes. Plus I hated the center dash layout.

Definitely looking forward to DRIVING an electric car sometime in the future, although the cost is likely going to be ridiculous for something like this

06-25-2019 02:26 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      You kinda just glossed over the part where I said I wanted an electrified traditional sedan lol.
      I did miss the sedan part, but regardless they are included in BMW’s plan. Mercedes too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

19. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      06-25-2019 02:42 PM #18
      Giggity
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.