VWVortex.com - P0011 Issue - VVT / Cam Phaser (Adjuster)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0011 Issue - VVT / Cam Phaser (Adjuster)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW TOUAREG LIMITED EDITION VR6 R32
      06-25-2019 10:26 PM #1
      So I'm hoping that someone can provide me some direction that I can take as a novice with my recently purchased 2006 Touareg 3.2L VR6 Motor. I bought this vehicle with 125K miles on it from a friend (thought he was at the time at least) and I've never owned a VR6 before , this being my first. He is a Entry Level Competent VW Mechanic, a R&R guy for standard stuff and he disclosed to me that it had a cold start issue that he could fix. I bought the Touareg off him for more than fair market retail price with the promise that he would repair the issue which he disclosed was a Cam Adjuster Valve Actuator / Selenoid.

The story behind this is that he bought the Touareg from a customer basically not running right and it turned out to be 1 of 2 of the Valves or so he thought. He replaced 1 of them and then it ran great until the following morning when it was cold it would start but act like it wanted to die unless you feathered the gas to increase the RPM until the motor got warm and then it ran fine. I trusted him and bought the Touareg.

When it came time to replacing the opposite VVT Valve, not only did he want me to buy the part but he was charging me for labor as well. And on top of all that, he could remember which of the 2 he replaced and the labor he was charging cost more than purchasing the Genuine VW valve so he recommended replacing them both (even though the 1 he supposedly replaced was only 2 year before). He said he could get the Genuine VW valves cheaper through his friend that worked at the dealer and to give him the cash and he would get both valves and do the work. Friendly reminder, we had been friends for a few years at this point.

So I dropped off the Touareg and supposedly he replaced the Valves, and I got the Touareg back with a Check Engine Light. The P0011 code. I asked him for the receipts for the valves for my records and of course he didn't have any (will circle back to this) It didn't have any codes prior to him working on it and now I have this code. Of course he said he would fix it but kept putting me off for 2 months and then one day he accepts a job out of state and packs up and moves telling me sorry he's gotta do what he's gotta do. At this point, my faith has been more than compromised.

All kinds of thoughts are running through my head -

Did he truly replace both valves?
      If he did replace one of the valves, or both - did he actually get Genuine VW parts?
      Did he screw something up during installation that caused this CEL?

So with no real other avenue to determine the problem, I took it to the VW dealer and possibly my mistake was to fill them in on all of this that I outlined above only because they went on the premise that both valves were replaced and immediately pointed to the Cam Phaser needing to be replaced and quoted me on it. In addition to the Cam Phaser, they quoted a replacement valve as well no less - I would think that there is a way to at least confirm the VVT is still good?

I'm determined to find someone else to work with but want to be more informed prior to doing so, and was wondering if anyone could outline for me what to possibly look into or what could possibly be the issue other than going through and replacing the Cam Phaser. I just find it too coincidental that this work was done and the CEL is there immediately upon completion when it wasn't there what so ever prior to work to automatically assume the Cam Phaser is the problem.

Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated or someone I can work with direct that knows his stuff and is reasonable in Oregon - Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-30-2019 11:36 AM #2
      Even though the engine code is different, i’m confident that this test still applies. What resistance values do you get?

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...n205_checking/

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07-11-2019 02:52 AM #3
      I'm so sorry that I didn't see this reply, I didn't have my notifications on. I'm just now seeing it. I will go through the test this weekend and update you back with my results. Thank you so much, I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for your reply

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 07-12-2019 01:00 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by zongj242 View Post
      I'm so sorry that I didn't see this reply, I didn't have my notifications on. I'm just now seeing it. I will go through the test this weekend and update you back with my results. Thank you so much, I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for your reply
      No problem. I truly enjoy solving problems and just be sure to help others with your knowledge because that’s what it’s all about.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2019 02:18 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sagginwagen View Post
      No problem. I truly enjoy solving problems and just be sure to help others with your knowledge because that’s what it’s all about.
      I didn’t get a chance to test this past weekend, the multimeter I have malfunctioned. I need to go pick up a new one. I’d like to PM you with my direct contact if you would be willing?

Thank you again so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 07-17-2019 11:05 AM #6
      I had this code just before I swapped all my engine chains over, so I replaced the solenoid whilst it was all apart. Put it back together and as soon as it was warm, I got the CEL.

Turned out to be the filter gauze on the back of the VVT unit had pulled apart and fed into the VVT oilway.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2019 11:51 AM #7
      Thank you so much for replying. Can I ask.....and please forgive me for being so ignorant on this, the gauze than you’re referencing, is that actually part of the selenoid ? (Trying to understand what/where that is exactly)

And how did you end up fixing / resolving it ?

Thanks man again so much

10. 07-18-2019 04:30 AM #8
      There is a mesh screen on the solenoid that acts as a filter. It is on the opposite end of the electrical connections that you see sticking out of the engine.

11. 07-24-2019 08:39 AM #9
      Thank you so much for replying. Can I ask.....and please forgive me for being so ignorant on this, the gauze than you’re referencing, is that actually part of the selenoid ? (Trying to understand what/where that is exactly)

And how did you end up fixing / resolving it ?

Thanks man again so much

Apparantly, VW do not sell that part separately either

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08-09-2019 02:21 AM #10
      Sorry for the long delay in replying, I greatly appreciate the response. Did you just end up cleaning this filter and the CEL went away then?

Thank you again so much

13. 08-09-2019 04:47 AM #11
      Sorry for the long delay in replying, I greatly appreciate the response. Did you just end up cleaning this filter and the CEL went away then?

Thank you again so much
      Yup. Had to take all the chains etc back off and then just removed the gauze