VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

02M Death Rattle

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DJ155 
#1 ·
Hello,

New to the 02M transmissions. I've had the 020 opened up a few times.

I have an 02M with a peloquin on my VR6 Turbo. It had some use/abuse by the previous owner, not many miles by myself but it shifts just fine.

Ran into a problem the other day...I started getting some loud clutch chatter noise while driving and while stopped in neutral with the clutch out. When I pushed the clutch in, the noise would slowly spin down and go silent.

I thought I had a broken clutch disc spring or loose flywheel bolts but after pulling the transmission, all looks well; however, the input shaft to the transmission has some play in it, both side to side and in/out. Enough to get a "click" sound when I wiggle it. I don't have a way of measuring the play (yet) so pardon my non specific description. I would guess at least .015" in/out and a tad less side to side.

I'm thinking this is a bearing problem and maybe I shelled one of the bearings which is causing the death rattle sound? I'll be splitting the case and doing my worst, if for nothing else then to save the peloquin for my other 02M. Anybody else ever see this issue? I limped it home about 1/4-1/2 mile and other than the noise, nothing else felt different.

Anybody know where I can buy the transmission repair manual? I have the two volume hardback bentley and unlike the old A1 version, it doesn't go into transmission teardown/rebuild.

Last question...how similiar is the 02Q to the 02M? I see tons of 02Qs on ebay for decent prices. Was wondering if I can use the 02M VR6 bellhousing on the 02Q 2.0TSI transmission. I doubt it, but thought I would ask.

Thanks, I'll update with some pics as I learn this thing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I've managed to answer most of my questions through research and a 24 hr subscription to Erwin, downloading everything I could click on.

Here's the problem:

So I have a good 02M with a bad case and I'm picking up another early 02M tomorrow. I'm going to swap the gearset on the input shaft and keep the output shafts the same. Any differences should wear in like a new transmission would I assume.

I have the tools to reset the bearing preload so that will be this weekend's project.

#3 ·
Almost done.

I need a .97 mm shim. The manual states to measure until you find one that size due to manufacturing tolerances. Is there an acceptable range instead? I planned on just running a .95 and calling it good but that's almost 10% less preload than spec'd.

#4 ·
Wow wish you worked on my car

You seem to know what you are doing man. From the sound of your description seems I might have the same problem some gear parts broken inside rattling around and what not. My second gear is kinda frozen when trying to shift it in cold temperatures until engine warms up. Now the rattle, thought insides of my transmission are going to fall apart. Any suggestions on good resources for a rebuilt strong transmission that won't break a bank too? I got one for my 90 golf a while back from craftswerk but haven't been able to locate their site if they are still in business.

#5 ·
Which model transmission do you need? Where do you live?

I have a few people I can recommend.

Mine is holding up great so far with 18 psi and slicks on a VR6 but I'm not an expert. Be careful if you think you have broken parts, they can easily lock up a gear and cause even more damage.

#6 ·
Just found this; glad you got it worked out. To answer one of your questions, the 02Q and 02M are almost the same transmission. When I tore my 02Q apart, a lot of the part numbers for seals and the bearing pre-load washers were the same. Some of the parts I got were even labeled 02M. You do have to be careful, however, because from what I've seen there are two different 02M transmissions, an early and a late model. The late model is almost the same as the 02Q. I'm not sure about the early model.

I've heard that you can swap the bell housing on a VR6 transmission over to a 4 cyl one and it will fit, but I've never seen it, so that would require more research. I'm glad you got it all worked out.

#7 ·
Some clarification to my earlier replies:

I kept the ring/pinion matched. No need to do work twice, just in case.

I spun the diff a few more times and measured it 3 or 4 times. I landed almost exactly on a standard shim size and the dealership had it in 48 hrs.

Still running great, has about 2K miles and no less than 50 1/4 mile passes on slicks.

#8 ·
Hi, I have a PD 130 MK4 TDI got 6 speed (assuming its o2m ? ).
Recently been experiencing chatter on 1st & 2nd only when taking foot off the gas ( just deceleration, no braking ) but both 1st & 2nd gear no noise / chatter while acceleration in either gear, also both 1st / 2nd gear slide into gear smoothly, no issues selecting them.
Also, when decelerating, if I put foot on the clutch, chatter stops ?

All other gears are fine... ( Bit of a whine in 5th, but I skip 5th anyhow )

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.