VWVortex.com - Fuel Efficiency Upgrades for 3.6L VR6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 84

    Thread: Fuel Efficiency Upgrades for 3.6L VR6

    1. 07-07-2019 12:01 PM #26
      Thank you for the detailed measurements Saavv (edit Bajan).

      Sounds like the intake and piping needs youve provided to maximize airflow are the way to go for now.

      If you dont mind, please share your list of parts that you ended up going with for your intake. I would very much be interested on the choices you made.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Andre VW; 07-07-2019 at 09:27 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Savvv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2009
      Location
      Columbiana, OH
      Posts
      3,050
      Vehicles
      '18 Tig SEL-P 4Mo R-Line, '16 Acadia SLE2 AWD
      07-07-2019 12:54 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre VW View Post
      Thank you for the detailed measurements Saavv.

      Sounds like the intake and piping needs youve provided to maximize airflow are the way to go for now.

      If you dont mind, please share your list of parts that you ended up going with for your intake. I would very much be interested on the choices you made.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I wasn’t the one who posted the measurements above haha. But, the plan is that once I have this built and see how it works, it’d be a case of go to this site and buy these parts, and then I’d just have to make you a bracket to hold up the MAF.

    4. Member Icantdrive65's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      2,259
      Vehicles
      VW Atlas, 2004 R32, 2003 Yukon XL Denali
      07-08-2019 01:41 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      I will argue that is not true and basically an urban legend. The amount of air flow to have oil come off isn't going to happen in this vehicle.

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I ran an oiled air filter on my 97 Jetta 2.0 and it did foul the MAF. I was able to clean the oil/dirt off with some solvent and it worked fine after that. I may have over-oiled it.
      Bought my old R32 back this year. IG @boomerang_r32

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member bajan01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Posts
      3,865
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas, 2016 VW Golf
      07-08-2019 02:37 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Icantdrive65 View Post
      I ran an oiled air filter on my 97 Jetta 2.0 and it did foul the MAF. I was able to clean the oil/dirt off with some solvent and it worked fine after that. I may have over-oiled it.
      I have run oil based filters on all of my MAF based VWs and never had any problems.
      2018 Atlas - Black Powder Coated Pizmas/Michelin PS4 SUVs.
      2016 Golf - JB4, IE Turbo Inlet, ECS Turbo Muffler Delete, Enkei J10 16x7"/Continental Extreme Contact Sports.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2010
      Location
      Parts Unknown
      Posts
      18,968
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      07-10-2019 12:32 AM #30
      Low rolling resistance tires. Iiirc, the stock Continental CrossContacts's are not designed with Continentals EcoPlus technology.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

    8. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,028
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      07-10-2019 09:32 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Icantdrive65 View Post
      I ran an oiled air filter on my 97 Jetta 2.0 and it did foul the MAF. I was able to clean the oil/dirt off with some solvent and it worked fine after that. I may have over-oiled it.
      It's also possible that you had a bad seal around the filter so dirt etc. was getting by. It's also possible this was completely un-related to the filter. How do you know this wasn't caused by something else? Not sure about the '97 but did it have some way where the PCV was somehow related?
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    9. 07-10-2019 11:49 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      It's also possible that you had a bad seal around the filter so dirt etc. was getting by. It's also possible this was completely un-related to the filter. How do you know this wasn't caused by something else? Not sure about the '97 but did it have some way where the PCV was somehow related?
      Saw your GSW oil analysis on bitog. Nice seeing low silicon and no solubles showing good filtration with the K&N.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. Member Icantdrive65's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      Santa Cruz, CA
      Posts
      2,259
      Vehicles
      VW Atlas, 2004 R32, 2003 Yukon XL Denali
      07-10-2019 06:59 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      It's also possible that you had a bad seal around the filter so dirt etc. was getting by. It's also possible this was completely un-related to the filter. How do you know this wasn't caused by something else? Not sure about the '97 but did it have some way where the PCV was somehow related?
      The filter had a round hole that was a very tight fit over the intake tube. A hose clamp held it in place. The MAF was about 6-10" down the pipe from the filter. The PCV had a separate small cone filter. That was kind of a weird setup.

      The throttle body got gunked up too. It finally wouldn't idle. OBDII said I needed a new ICV which was integrated into the throttle body. I opened it up and found oily dirt there. Cleaned it up and it idled fine after that.
      Bought my old R32 back this year. IG @boomerang_r32

    11. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,028
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      07-10-2019 07:23 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre VW View Post
      Saw your GSW oil analysis on bitog. Nice seeing low silicon and no solubles showing good filtration with the K&N.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Me too, it's nice to see some vindication for all the "OH MY GOD K&N WILL RUIN YOUR ENGINE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" crew
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    12. Member Savvv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2009
      Location
      Columbiana, OH
      Posts
      3,050
      Vehicles
      '18 Tig SEL-P 4Mo R-Line, '16 Acadia SLE2 AWD
      07-12-2019 08:46 PM #35
      My intake parts showed up yesterday and today. Here they are installed:







      Under normal driving conditions you’d never notice it’s there. Not until you go WOT and get up above 3-3500rpm does the lovely VR gurgle kick in. Can’t tell a difference in power from the butt dyno but I also wasn’t going WOT on stock intake right before I swapped it. I may get skippy and run some data logs and see what the MAF is reading.

      I will also report back after some normal driving what the fuel consumption change is, if any.

      I’ve got $190ish into this setup right now. The main part of it that is designed to be better than most intakes on the market is the BPI velocity stack. Big K&N air filter clamps to it. The rest are silicone parts and clamps.

      https://www.bpi-us.com/product-page/...9mm-flow-stack

      https://www.bpi-us.com/product-page/...filter-rf-1048

      Go to siliconeintakes.com and look for:

      3.5” to 3.25” reducer
      3.5” 90° elbow
      3.5” 45° elbow
      3.5” stainless joiner pipe
      (1) 3.5” worm gear clamp
      (5) 3.75” worm gear clamps

      This literally took me 10 min to install. First take the 2 torx screws loose for the intake plenum at the top of the radiator support and set it aside. Unclip the MAF, and loosen the clamp on the throttle body. Pull up the whole assembly, there are (3) rubber grommet tabs holding the air box down to the battery box. With that out of the way, start putting the new pieces on. When complete put the intake plenum back on so you still get the ram air affect at the filter.

    13. 07-12-2019 10:00 PM #36
      Very nice setup! I just installed the drop in K&N but too soon to see results. Although the placebo effect sure is nice at WOT but probably not as much as your CAI.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    14. Member bajan01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Posts
      3,865
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas, 2016 VW Golf
      07-12-2019 10:27 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Savvv View Post
      My intake parts showed up yesterday and today. Here they are installed:





      Looks good but you could trim back one of the silicone hoses a bit to get the filter off of that plastic piece...unless by moving it back it hits somewhere else.

      There is a trick to making a clean cut on a silicone hose...you simply tighten down a hose clamp on it and use the edge of the hose clamp as a guide. This produces very clean cuts, assuming that you use a sharp blade.

      Here are some pics from some custom work on my SQ5:









      For the Atlas, I actually purchased the aFe intake box and will put the Atlas on the dyno for some real world before and after numbers...hopefully in the next few weeks.
      Last edited by bajan01; 07-12-2019 at 10:29 PM.
      2018 Atlas - Black Powder Coated Pizmas/Michelin PS4 SUVs.
      2016 Golf - JB4, IE Turbo Inlet, ECS Turbo Muffler Delete, Enkei J10 16x7"/Continental Extreme Contact Sports.

    15. 07-13-2019 05:00 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by bajan01 View Post

      For the Atlas, I actually purchased the aFe intake box and will put the Atlas on the dyno for some real world before and after numbers...hopefully in the next few weeks.
      Oil or non oiled filter? Noticed they have 2 seperate hp figures depending on filter type yet the cfm flow was the roughly the same (and of course out flows the stock).

      Good luck with results. Hope it shows good response.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    16. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,028
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      07-13-2019 09:44 AM #39
      Great looking DIY intake! Very professional looking. The only issue to me with this in terms of the thread's title of fuel efficiency is heat soak - any short-ram intake with an exposed filter under the hood is not going to match the factory CAI in terms of intake temps. I bet it sounds good!
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    17. Member Savvv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2009
      Location
      Columbiana, OH
      Posts
      3,050
      Vehicles
      '18 Tig SEL-P 4Mo R-Line, '16 Acadia SLE2 AWD
      07-13-2019 02:13 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      Great looking DIY intake! Very professional looking. The only issue to me with this in terms of the thread's title of fuel efficiency is heat soak - any short-ram intake with an exposed filter under the hood is not going to match the factory CAI in terms of intake temps. I bet it sounds good!
      I’ll add intake air temp to the data log list. Keep in mind that driving at full throttle at highway speeds, air is constantly being pushed through the engine bay. Plus the filter is right at the outlet of the ram air plastic piece. Might not be much of a difference. I’m hoping the big velocity stack overcomes it anyways.

    18. 07-13-2019 02:22 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Savvv View Post
      I’ll add intake air temp to the data log list. Keep in mind that driving at full throttle at highway speeds, air is constantly being pushed through the engine bay. Plus the filter is right at the outlet of the ram air plastic piece. Might not be much of a difference. I’m hoping the big velocity stack overcomes it anyways.
      Nice intake and thanks for showing all the pieces you needed to put it together. Im with you in That velocity stack should help with straightening flow and minimizing pressure drop across the filter.

      Didnt you mention you may need a bracket for the MAF? Does that still apply? Any details on that?

      Really considering an intake now in the future and its between your setup or an AFe.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    19. Member bajan01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Posts
      3,865
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas, 2016 VW Golf
      07-13-2019 04:26 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre VW View Post
      Oil or non oiled filter? Noticed they have 2 seperate hp figures depending on filter type yet the cfm flow was the roughly the same (and of course out flows the stock).

      Good luck with results. Hope it shows good response.
      I went with the oiled.

      I do agree that once you are moving at a significant speed there is probably enough air moving through to keep things at decent temps. Perhaps taking some temp readings at speed with and without the airbox would confirm this.
      2018 Atlas - Black Powder Coated Pizmas/Michelin PS4 SUVs.
      2016 Golf - JB4, IE Turbo Inlet, ECS Turbo Muffler Delete, Enkei J10 16x7"/Continental Extreme Contact Sports.

    20. Member Savvv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2009
      Location
      Columbiana, OH
      Posts
      3,050
      Vehicles
      '18 Tig SEL-P 4Mo R-Line, '16 Acadia SLE2 AWD
      07-13-2019 04:44 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre VW View Post
      Nice intake and thanks for showing all the pieces you needed to put it together. Im with you in That velocity stack should help with straightening flow and minimizing pressure drop across the filter.

      Didnt you mention you may need a bracket for the MAF? Does that still apply? Any details on that?

      Really considering an intake now in the future and its between your setup or an AFe.
      You’re welcome! Doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of options available yet for something over a year old that uses an engine that’s been around for decades.

      Might still need a bracket, although the MAF isn’t exactly where I figured it would sit. The stainless joiner pipe could be a little longer to get the 90 closer to the battery box. All in all the entire system sits snug. I’m thinking the bracket isn’t 100% necessary but I’ll see if I can make something work.

      Quote Originally Posted by bajan01 View Post
      I do agree that once you are moving at a significant speed there is probably enough air moving through to keep things at decent temps. Perhaps taking some temp readings at speed with and without the airbox would confirm this.
      Keep in mind too that the plastic plenum piece has a “trap door” on the passenger side that is normally closed but I think once enough air velocity is moving through the front grill it pushes it open to cool the engine bay.

    21. Member bajan01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Posts
      3,865
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas, 2016 VW Golf
      07-13-2019 04:50 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Savvv View Post
      Keep in mind too that the plastic plenum piece has a “trap door” on the passenger side that is normally closed but I think once enough air velocity is moving through the front grill it pushes it open to cool the engine bay.
      Yes, with the hood open you can lift up the flaps and get an idea that it doesn’t take much airflow to open them up.
      2018 Atlas - Black Powder Coated Pizmas/Michelin PS4 SUVs.
      2016 Golf - JB4, IE Turbo Inlet, ECS Turbo Muffler Delete, Enkei J10 16x7"/Continental Extreme Contact Sports.

    22. 07-14-2019 10:07 AM #45
      Sav did you not see the other intake thread? We already did this spending only $35

    23. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2018
      Location
      Sammamish, WA
      Posts
      87
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL V6 4Motion
      07-15-2019 06:48 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by bajan01 View Post
      Yes, with the hood open you can lift up the flaps and get an idea that it doesn’t take much airflow to open them up.
      My flapper door fell off some time ago, and I have no idea where it went. Since my mileage has gotten better with the drop-in filter, maybe it isn't even necessary.

    24. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      2,028
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      07-15-2019 07:03 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnvwfun View Post
      My flapper door fell off some time ago, and I have no idea where it went. Since my mileage has gotten better with the drop-in filter, maybe it isn't even necessary.
      It's sitting on your belly pan...mine did the same thing..ahhahaha
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

    25. 07-15-2019 08:30 PM #48
      Results after K&N drop in:
      Highway: 25.2 mpg at ~65mph (first 90 miles)
      Interstate: 23.1 mph at ~82mph (last 300 miles)

      Drive was from Phoenix to San Diego in the middle of Summer so the AC was on the entire ride. 3000 foot elevation gain to mile 275. 3500 foot elevation loss from mile 275 to 390.

      Didn't run it with the stock Mahle filter long enough to see what the difference was between the two.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    26. Member Savvv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2009
      Location
      Columbiana, OH
      Posts
      3,050
      Vehicles
      '18 Tig SEL-P 4Mo R-Line, '16 Acadia SLE2 AWD
      07-15-2019 09:26 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
      Sav did you not see the other intake thread? We already did this spending only $35
      I did not haha. Link? And this thread is meant for more than just an intake. Anything you can do to squeeze the em pee geez

    27. 07-15-2019 09:39 PM #50
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...that-VR6-sound

      and yes that vr6 chug above 2800 rpms makes the atlas sound great! it just sucks with an 7spd, it shifts waay too fast to hear much unless you mess with manual mode.

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •