VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1979 IH Scout - vehicle #22

1. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 05 Lexus GX470
      06-28-2019 11:11 AM #1
      Whelp, I was looking for a project but I didn't think I'd end up with one like this. Considered another C5 Corvette, SW20 MR2 project with a 2gr swap, bunch of other random sport cars . . . but reality always took over and reminded me I live on a small barrier island outside a major city with nowhere fun to drive. This brought me back to old trucks and while I really like my GX470 as a daily driver, I desperately missed the character of my LX450. Looked at FJ40, Bronco and Blazer for a while but they are all either crazy expensive or one rain drop away from disintegrating.

This brought me to the IH Scout, the original but forgotten SUV. After a few months of half assed looking, this popped up and my wife bought it for my bday:

It has been partially rebuilt with the frame being repainted, new brake lines, new bushings, new shocks, replaced tub and panels, rebuilt V8 and some other smaller things. It's wired to run and drive offroad, but the major hurdle for me will be completing the wiring for the rest of the truck so I can get it registered for street driving.

It's being transported to me this weekend, excited to get dirty.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2019 11:16 AM #2
      Paint and interior wise I can't make a decision. I really want a seafoam/surf green exterior with a tan interior, but that's going to require a professional body shop. With all the other things I have to consider in my life, a $15k body shop job for this truck just isn't in the cards. I've had some great success with Monstaliner in the past, so since this won't be a show truck, I'm strongly considering white Monstaliner with a black rallye stripe and red synthetic seats.

Vehicles
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      06-28-2019 11:26 AM #3
      Monstaliner makes Apocalypse Orange*. Why not do that one and make yours the color version of the above B&W photo?

*contains lead.
      I'm watching you, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      06-28-2019 11:31 AM #4
      you certainly have a type

I think it'll make an awesome project and I'm in to see what happens.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2019 11:45 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic View Post
      Monstaliner makes Apocalypse Orange*. Why not do that one and make yours the color version of the above B&W photo?

*contains lead.
      While I like the original version of the image I modified, I'm not interested in owning an orange truck. I've also considered Tarheel, Turquila, Mean Green Mother and Predator but I can't get a good gauge on how they will look in real life. Might have to order some samples. I'm also trying to find the balance between nice budget project but not full out white trash bogger.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2019 11:46 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      you certainly have a type

I think it'll make an awesome project and I'm in to see what happens.
      I often miss my old type (2 doors, RWD, open top, manual transmission, sports car), but I guess that's what happens when you get older.

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-28-2019 12:26 PM #7
      I've been searching mostly for old pickups, but man, I can't get over that you got this for your birthday.

Happy belated birthday and I just know you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

Oh, and if you have a way to shoot it, you might try your hand at just painting it. A single stage paint from Eastwood is about $100-$150 per gallon. Just start on the inside/door jambs and pick a color that would go with Monstaliner in case everything goes to hell.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      06-28-2019 12:44 PM #8
      AWESOME! I'm jealous. Scout II's are some of the best proportioned, best looking SUVs ever made. Curious to know where you sourced this from - obviously rust can be a huge problem. Which V8 does it have 304 or 345 or a swap? Trans?

I always thought these would make a great top off cruiser - you can actually seat people in the back and still carry some stuff. If it was mine and hardcore 'wheeling wasn't in the mix, I'd lower it slightly with slightly smaller tires.

I had a K5 Blazer in HS and college. It was great but a little too big. Scout II's are a perfect size, IMO. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      06-28-2019 12:44 PM #9
      love these things

if it were me i would throw a nice 12v cummins in there

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1966 IH SCOUT 800, 1970 MGB GT
      06-28-2019 01:59 PM #10
      Nice addition, IH parts America should have everything you need to get it wired up. Hope this turns into a good build thread.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      06-28-2019 02:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      I'm also trying to find the balance between nice budget project but not full out white trash bogger.
      You're doing a great job at both. Those bridgestones are from when WWE was WWF.

Any idea on direction for the suspension/axles/tires? Assuming it rides at 45mph exactly how it looks.
      Last edited by Gitcha Sum; 06-28-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-28-2019 02:07 PM #12
      Nice, I love these and they are rising in value. A clean resto will do right by you in the long run.

Did IH have a color like Land Rover's Heritage Green? That's my current favorite color on a classic 4x4.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2019 06:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I've been searching mostly for old pickups, but man, I can't get over that you got this for your birthday.

Happy belated birthday and I just know you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

Oh, and if you have a way to shoot it, you might try your hand at just painting it. A single stage paint from Eastwood is about $100-$150 per gallon. Just start on the inside/door jambs and pick a color that would go with Monstaliner in case everything goes to hell.
      My wife is pretty rad. Plus she's tired of me talking about a toy car and this was much cheaper and safer than a C5 Corvette track car. Also thank you.

I've considered top side self leveling boat paint, but honestly I'm never going to get these panels straight so that's why I'm leaning towards monstaliner which covers a lot of imperfections.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2019 06:08 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      AWESOME! I'm jealous. Scout II's are some of the best proportioned, best looking SUVs ever made. Curious to know where you sourced this from - obviously rust can be a huge problem. Which V8 does it have 304 or 345 or a swap? Trans?

I always thought these would make a great top off cruiser - you can actually seat people in the back and still carry some stuff. If it was mine and hardcore 'wheeling wasn't in the mix, I'd lower it slightly with slightly smaller tires.

I had a K5 Blazer in HS and college. It was great but a little too big. Scout II's are a perfect size, IMO. Can't wait to see how it progresses.
      Yea I'm pretty excited. Found this one on a FB Scout group, guy had it as a project for 15 years and just ran out of time and interest. The tub and panels are off of a Texas scout because the original had rust. Manual trans, not sure which IH v8 to be honest. I'm flying a little blind into this one, definitely the least amount of research I've done on specs before buying a car. Honestly I was just looking for one without rust, engine/suspension/trans/axles weren't much of a concern. Long term I'd like to LS swap it, but that's way down the road.

Main purpose is to bomb around locally with the top off and drive on the beach, pretty much zero serious offroading.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2019 06:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      You're doing a great job at both. Those bridgestones are from when WWE was WWF.

Any idea on direction for the suspension/axles/tires? Assuming it rides at 45mph exactly how it looks.
      It has a 2" body lift with 2" skyjacker lift. I'll probably paint the 8 hole wheels and switch the tires over to Goodyear Duratracs or Falken Wildpeak. Might knock out the body lift, not really interested in body lifts.

I believe they are Dana 40 axles?

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      06-28-2019 09:59 PM #16
      Congrats! I've always wanted a Scout II, but somehow always ended up with a fullsize Blazer.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-29-2019 10:06 AM #17
      Tan is your friend. If you paint it a light desert tan color (which would look awesome on that) really hide imperfections. Not as well as bedliner, but pretty well. Also you can sand/polish/touch up gloss paint. You can’t with matte finishes. Of course you can touch up bedliner all you want, too.

Hmmmm... Tan bedliner? Even better!

Also, can you put those stripes in white on bedliner material or would that just look dumb? I suppose it’d probably look dumb. :/
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

19. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      06-29-2019 11:21 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      06-29-2019 12:51 PM #19
      In for updates. I've been a big fan of Scouts since a neighbor had one back in the day. I've always liked the compact lines of them.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      06-29-2019 01:05 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Congrats! I've always wanted a Scout II, but somehow always ended up with a fullsize Blazer.
      Even in Oregon, they're tough to come across not beat to hell......as I look out the window at the blazer......
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Accord, 2012 Escape, 69 (nice) Beetle
      06-29-2019 03:39 PM #21
      I had one with a 392 and fairly tall gears and a lift and 38 inch mud terrains. Friend had one with 305 and shorter rear end and 33 inch all terrains. His was much much much nicer to drive on the road. Not fast by any measure, but at least it kept up with neighborhood traffic. Totally fine for a bit of towing and a bit of softroading.

Mine was so heavy it sank my moms driveway 3 inches, could claw out of a 2 foot mud pit, and we dragged a shipping container turned snow cone shop across a parking lot as a prank in high school. Foot to the floor, it made a whole heap of noise, and all the grandmas in their buicks would drive around me giving me the finger. The big tires blew the original Saginaw steering box, so that was an extra $600 for a beefed up rebuild.

I very much enjoyed gunning it up the ramps in parking garages and setting off alarms with the 20 year old blown out glass packs.

It was not the right car for a college student, so it had to go.

I'd probably give up my 69 beater beetle for another scout.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-30-2019 08:50 AM #22
      Many years ago when I first got into 4x4’s, my old neighbor across the street came over to check out my latest acquisition and kick the tires. He was telling me about an old Scout he had for years and years. He said he used to help the town crew guys pull cars back onto the road that had slid off in the winter during storms. He loved the truck and it never let him down, but it just rusted out from around him.

I’m sure you’ve drooled over New Legends?

https://www.newlegend4x4.com

Vehicles
      T1 Barcode
      06-30-2019 12:09 PM #23
      Heck yes.

I’ll wager this to be a 345. On the RH side of the engine block there’s a small flat surface that is stamped with the engine size. Ours was towards the front of the engine. You’ll see a “V345” or “V304.”
      Campagnolo 11spd -- '12 328iX Touring -- 2005 A4 Ultrasport Avant 6MT -- 2001.5 Audi A4 Avant 6MT -- 1979 Scout II --

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-30-2019 04:18 PM #24
      Oh yes.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-30-2019 05:02 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      this popped up and my wife bought it for my bday:
      Awesome birthday present!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast