VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1979 IH Scout - vehicle #22

1. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 05 Lexus GX470, 79 IH Scout II
      07-02-2019 08:46 AM #26
      Still waiting for delivery, 4th of July is really hampering the shipping broker's ability to find a driver.

In the meantime I ordered a full set of monstaliner color chips; I've narrowed it down to white or Tarheel blue if I go with monstaliner. White with black rallye stripe and red seats is super tempting right now, but it's also the least exciting.

Need to do some more research on the seafoam green topside boat paint since I don't have a place to spray. If I went this route I'd do spice monstaliner on the interior.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      07-12-2019 12:00 AM #27
      Whelp, car #22 is officially here. It arrived at 930pm, 3 hours late, in the pitch black driving rain monsoon that's happening outside right now.

No idea how they got it there, but the Scout was on the top shelf of the open transport carrier, in the last spot near the cab. With fumes in the gas tank, EXTREMELY soft brakes and no ebrake, tansporter refused to get it down citing it 'wasn't safe'.

So what did I do? Climbed up the side of the rain soaked slippery carrier, climbed in the gun slit driver window while hoping I didn't fall 20' to the street, slid between the huge steering wheel and seat that was too close, fumbled around in the dark to find the keys and figure out how the controls work. Oh look, it's a auto trans, surprise!

Windshield wipers don't work, but I knew that. Windshield is dirty and covered in rain, can't see through it. Guess I'll stick my head out the window, ace ventura style.

Get it started (barely) by pumping the brakes with my left foot and pumping the gas with my right foot, got just enough momentum to get out of the carrier track indent and headed down the ramp. Still can't see the sides of the ramp, I sure hope the wheels are straight. Rolled down to the pavement, do a loop around the roundabout about 4 houses down from me, cut the engine and coast to the bottom of my driveway.

One of the scariest things I've ever done sober - getting in a 40 year old truck that you've never seen before, in the dark, with questionable brakes and zero visibility and driving it off the top of a huge auto transporter.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      07-12-2019 08:50 AM #28
      Man. What a great adrenaline-fueled way to meet your new project. Now that its off safe that is.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-12-2019 08:54 AM #29
      Whoa! That's quite a story!

I can't believe that the transport company would do that, though. They should have a non-powered way to get a vehicle off of their transport. The potential for law suits is quite real. Had you dropped you could've easily sued them.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      07-12-2019 10:39 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Whoa! That's quite a story!

I can't believe that the transport company would do that, though. They should have a non-powered way to get a vehicle off of their transport. The potential for law suits is quite real. Had you dropped you could've easily sued them.
      Yea I was kind of annoyed by them not having a winch built into the carrier. Apparently it took 4 hours to load it at the sellers house (middle of the night no less), still no idea how they got it up there or why it took 4 hours.

Figured out this morning that it's in 4hi and the front hubs were locked, explains why it felt like it wanted to rip up the pavement once I put gas in to get it into the garage.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      07-12-2019 10:40 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Man. What a great adrenaline-fueled way to meet your new project. Now that its off safe that is.
      Got it in the garage at 10, couldn't sit still until 1am.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 09:52 AM #32
      Not much of an update yet since we just had our driveway redone and I don't want a 6,000lb truck rolling over new soft asphalt when it's 95 degrees out.

That said, the Scout has made itself right at home, there's a beautiful puddle of oil under it already. Good thing I haven't refinished the garage floor yet.

I probably won't get started on it until the Fall, it's way too hot in my cramped garage and my wife would like the master bathroom renovation finished before I start messing with this thing.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      07-22-2019 10:03 AM #33
      Gas Monkey Garage is putting a Hellcat motor in this one

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Chrysler Imperial, 1986 VW GTI
      07-22-2019 11:47 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      Whelp, car #22 is officially here. It arrived at 930pm, 3 hours late, in the pitch black driving rain monsoon that's happening outside right now.

No idea how they got it there, but the Scout was on the top shelf of the open transport carrier, in the last spot near the cab. With fumes in the gas tank, EXTREMELY soft brakes and no ebrake, tansporter refused to get it down citing it 'wasn't safe'.

So what did I do? Climbed up the side of the rain soaked slippery carrier, climbed in the gun slit driver window while hoping I didn't fall 20' to the street, slid between the huge steering wheel and seat that was too close, fumbled around in the dark to find the keys and figure out how the controls work. Oh look, it's a auto trans, surprise!

Windshield wipers don't work, but I knew that. Windshield is dirty and covered in rain, can't see through it. Guess I'll stick my head out the window, ace ventura style.

Get it started (barely) by pumping the brakes with my left foot and pumping the gas with my right foot, got just enough momentum to get out of the carrier track indent and headed down the ramp. Still can't see the sides of the ramp, I sure hope the wheels are straight. Rolled down to the pavement, do a loop around the roundabout about 4 houses down from me, cut the engine and coast to the bottom of my driveway.

One of the scariest things I've ever done sober - getting in a 40 year old truck that you've never seen before, in the dark, with questionable brakes and zero visibility and driving it off the top of a huge auto transporter.
      Good God

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

07-22-2019 12:49 PM #35
      My parents had one for a long time. Since you're debating on painting it, for me one of the most iconic things about the Scout is the white hard top.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 01:05 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      My parents had one for a long time. Since you're debating on painting it, for me one of the most iconic things about the Scout is the white hard top.
      I'm actually really struggling with the hardtop. I thought for sure the second the truck got here, I'd take the top off, cover it with a tarp out of site and never think about it again. Practically, I really don't envision ever using the hardtop as this is a toy that will sit in the garage and come out for summer beach driving. Theoretically, I know I should also redo the hardtop at the same time and keep it in good shape should the day come when I want to sell this thing. I originally thought about doing a mint green and white color scheme like my old FJC (Voodoo Blue and white), but I decided not to. If I do the hardtop, I'll probably go mint green on the top and bottom and then camel tan around the windows.

For a sneak peak of what I'm thinking, this is pretty close:

- Mint green paint or Monstaliner exterior
      - Anthracite wheels, front grill, mirrors, door handles, gas cap
      - Mint green and dark grey Monstaliner interior panels and metal dash
      - Camel color synthetic leather door cards, dash pad and seats
      - Camel canvas full soft top and bimini top

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-22-2019 01:34 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by topdawg_mc4 View Post
      Good God

I know, right?

I wonder if the guy's bosses knew the driver required a customer to do something so risky.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 01:42 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I know, right?

I wonder if the guy's bosses knew the driver required a customer to do something so risky.
      I went through a shipping broker, pretty sure they bid the job out to independent contractors.

Best part about it was when I gave the guy the remaining balance:

Driver: Do you have a bottle of water you could give me?
      Me: Sure, not a problem at all. Here's the cash, you can count it while I grab the water from inside.
      Driver: Wait, how much is here?
      Me: $xxx, exactly what the broker told me the balance was. Is there a problem?
      Driver: I lost 6 hours loading this thing up . . . *exasperated mumble* . . . this is crazy . . . these guys . . .
      Me: Is there a problem? Not sure why it took 6 hours, but I just got it down in 10 minutes.
      Driver: This is the amount, $xxx?
      Me: That is the amount, just like the broker told me.
      Driver: *stomps away out of the garage into the rain*
      Me: Hey you still want that bottle of water?
      Driver: No *stomp stomp stomp*

I should have given him less for making me get it down.

15. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-22-2019 03:21 PM #39
      I went through a shipping broker, pretty sure they bid the job out to independent contractors.

Me: Sure, not a problem at all. Here's the cash, you can count it while I grab the water from inside.
      Driver: I lost 6 hours loading this thing up . . . *exasperated mumble* . . . this is crazy . . . these guys . . .
      Me: Is there a problem? Not sure why it took 6 hours, but I just got it down in 10 minutes.

That. Is. Weird.

Was he expecting a tip? Is that a thing? I've never had a car delivered so I have no idea, but that would seem odd.

"It took a long time to load it so I need to charge more" also makes no sense unless that is stated beforehand. If wheels are frozen and dollies required that's one thing. If the vehicle rolls but doesn't run they should be able to accommodate easily. What you went through it dangerous and unacceptable. I'm glad you're okay.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      07-22-2019 04:31 PM #40

I had a similar experience, but the driver was told a few hundred dollars more than I was quoted. Turned into a total nightmare. In this case, I believe the driver was in the right and the broker was a scumbag. We ended up splitting the difference with the driver and telling the broker to pound sand. Used the same driver a year or so later, privately, and had no issues.

17. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-22-2019 04:56 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      I had a similar experience, but the driver was told a few hundred dollars more than I was quoted. Turned into a total nightmare. In this case, I believe the driver was in the right and the broker was a scumbag. We ended up splitting the difference with the driver and telling the broker to pound sand. Used the same driver a year or so later, privately, and had no issues.
      So you were both behaving like adults. That's a win/win.

I suppose the lesson for a contracted driver is to contact the customer first and verify the price. To agree to said price and the broker do that in order to sell the job is vile. I suppose that falls under theft by deception if it could be proven. If everything is verbal contracts then it'd be impossible to prove without recordings, and that's pretty unlikely and not even admissible in some states. :/

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      07-23-2019 05:57 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by topdawg_mc4 View Post
      Good God

Yeah, I didn't even like loading my old atv into a pickup truck using ramps. I can only imagine.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Chrysler Imperial, 1986 VW GTI
      07-23-2019 09:32 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Yeah, I didn't even like loading my old atv into a pickup truck using ramps. I can only imagine.
      I've loaded lots of vehicles onto trailers over the years, and I still pucker up every time I drive up onto ramps and cant tell if I'm centered or not. I put a winch on my trailer a while back, and load almost everything with it now instead of driving onto the trailer, even if it's a vehicle with good ground clearance and good working brakes - it's just easier. I can't imagine getting down a 20' semi hauler with poor brakes in the rain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12