VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1991 Project Questions

384 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Butcher 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 Cabriolet project. Just got a great deal on a rebuilt 1.8 motor to instal. My motor had Digifant and this had CIS.
To put my injection system on, do I just change the injector seals that screw into the head or swap to my old head?
Do the injectors just screw out? They look like there is a brown sealer around them. Should I use some heat? How can I tell if my motor has hydraulic lifters or solid lifters?
While the motor was out I decided to change the CV joint boots. Followed the manual, and YouTube instructions, but I can’t pull the axle out due to the sway bar bushing. Any trick to this? I know this is a lot to ask, but I’m really confused.
Thanks, Ken

#2 ·
Using a CIS motor will probably have less compression. So the power may be down a bit. Wrong direction is my book. Of course, there is no reason to believe that the rebuilder did NOT use high compression pistons. So no one will know unless you can take it apart or possibly use a boroscope to check the pistons.

Removing the valve cover is a sure way to determine if the lifters are hydraulic. There is no cam bearing between #3&4 cylinders if it's hydraulic.

Removing the plastic injector cups can be difficult if someone glued them in. I ran across this once. It was not easy removing the cup in pieces. I hope you have better luck.

Do you add heat? Heat will soften the plastic but then the tool may strip. Have a good plan B in case you have issues.

As for CV boots, I disconnect the outer CV joint from the axle. Once that is disconnected, I can replace both boots. I usually do this in the car. The strut need to be disconnected. I suggest you disconnect it at the ball joint so you do not disturb the alignment anymore than you have to.

#4 ·
The heads are similar so I do not see any advantage of swapping them, especially if one has been rebuilt.

The combustion chambers should be similar, so there should be no compression change.

Once the gasket has been tighten down, they should not be reused. I'm certain someone in the world has done it and if I was in a pinch, I would probably take the risk but not a a clients car. If it's a multi layered metal headgasket, no I would not reuse it after it has been torqued. I believe the headbolts are one time use. Could they be reused? I've seen it done before, more than once. I've also seen them break when being reused too.

#5 ·
Okay, that leaves me parts of plan A and B. I will try to take the injector seals out without breaking the plastic and dropping debris in the cylinder. They look like they were sealed with shellac gasket sealer. Maybe a little solvent and a pick around the edges. Is there a special tool to remove them? Looks like just a 12 mm hex wrench? If that fails I will remove the head and take the seals out. And clean the threads. Is there a stamp some where on the block that will tell me what year motor I have? Is there a way to tell what cam is in the motor? Numbers on the cam or take measurements? Thanks for all the help, I know I sound like a kid, but I’m a 70 year old trying to switch from motorcycles to a fun little car Thanks again

#6 ·
Look at the cylinder head. Locate the upper radiator hose fitting. Just below that there is a flat spot on the engine block. That is where the ID should be. Google search the number and that will give you plenty of sites to help you know what it started out as.

Remember, it's been rebuilt so you have no idea what is actually in there. JH is a common CIS engine.

I'm not a fan of sealer. I see it used too often as a band aid for poor surface preparation. Good luck with the injector cups and you may need to find a cheap die to clean up the threads when you are done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.