Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New windshield

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11, V6 TDI, Phaeton
      07-06-2019 10:54 AM #1
      Dear All,

Just got new windshield installed by the dealer and have few issues I would like to discuss here:
      1) Previous windshield had UV protection (I ordered when defining extras) and was sort of blueish from outside. This one is rather clear and hands do get work inside the car if the sun is shining.
      Q - Is the new one still correct thing?
      https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am77UMfvB1sRiOdmnNYMX_EmKdtGbA

2) Now the rain sensor does not work and sensor area looks a bit strange, like some sort of film is partially not removed
      Q - What do you think, can they sort it without replacing the windshield itself?
      https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am77UMfvB1sRiOdlc8Sq9AWIA4cjfA

Any assistance/opinions most welcome!

Warm regards,
      Last edited by Hundikoer; 07-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-06-2019 02:31 PM #2
      The infra-red/UV windscreen is a different part number, so they should have replaced it with the one the car came with. I've also had rain sensor problems since mine was changed, it still works but has a constant error saying it need re-adaptation, which I have no idea how to do. If it was changed at a dealer, I would take it back and ask them to at least fix the rain sensor, and possibly even put the correct windshield in.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      07-06-2019 06:26 PM #3
      Your first picture shows the markings on the new windshield are almost exactly the same as the original windshield and they are both marked IR-H/A.

My first Phaeton has a purple windshield and the second one has what looks to be a clear windshield and they are both IR according to the labels.

As far as I know, both windshields are original to my Phaetons.

Your second picture is very blurry but does look like a film somebody tried to scrape off.

I discovered on my first Phaeton with the purple windshield that the inside has tint film. I messed it up by trying to scrape off some inspection stickers. I'll have to get a window tint business to try to fix it or even it out.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11, V6 TDI, Phaeton
      07-07-2019 05:48 AM #4
      Many thanks for your replies.
      I surely get the sensor sorted by the dealer, whatever it takes.

Re purple tint versus clear window - can there be any performance difference? I think it just cannot be the same. Maybe I am paranoid but it felt "warmer" when sun was shining...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Phaeton V8
      07-08-2019 05:12 AM #5
      As far as I know the purple glow is caused by metal coating and also blocks the gps signal. The newer windscreen shouldn't if it has no coating.

Jorg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One M9 met Tapatalk
      Last edited by Jorgsphaeton; 07-08-2019 at 05:26 AM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 vw Phaeton V6 TDI
      07-08-2019 10:19 AM #6
      I'm on my 3rd Phaeton now, the first and current one had no issues with GPS/Mobile signal, the V10 I had second had zero GPS signal inside. I had to resort to a repeater system with an external GPS aerial and a transmitter inside the car. even mobile signals were heavily affected in the V10. my wifes phone just lost all signal when we got in and closed the door..
      Entwisi

2007 V6 TDI SWB Phaeton, 2004 Volvo C70 2.4 GT Convertible, Honda Varadero XL1000, Moto Guzzi Mille GT

Vehicles
      2007/VW/Phaeton V6 3.0 TDI
      07-08-2019 02:28 PM #7
      In Sweden they say that we can pick the cheaper window and not the bullet proof one, for that, we have to add the extra money out of pocket.

I need to replace my windshield after M.O.T but have no idea if the original is on my P now.

So do you have any beware of's, or any thing to check?

The rain sensor is a good tip.

Wiken

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

10. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      07-08-2019 10:24 PM #8
      I don't know about GPS on 7579 with its purple windshield. The car's NAV works great and I don't remember if I ever used the NAV app on my tablet in it. My cell phone drops service all over and it works great in 7579 without an external antenna.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11, V6 TDI, Phaeton
      07-08-2019 11:24 PM #9
      Dealer now (re?)inserted the sensor (from inside) and external look is better. Haven't tested it yet.

Also, they claimed there has not been and is not a "purple version", which do not believe (because they say so). I will investigate it further.

PS
      When I specified my car, I did order heat-reflecting windshield. It is about UV, not necessarily IR, right?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V8, 2014 CC 3.6 Executive, 2017 Jetta SE manual (among others)
      07-21-2019 11:16 PM #10
      Hundikoer,

At least here in the USA the 12 was originally delivered with a special windshield that indeed had a purple hue under certain angles and light conditions, and prevented radar detectors from working. V8s like mine had a normal windshield and detectors worked just fine. but both kinds of windshields were marked as "IR". So, maybe your car came with the special windshield which has now been replaced with a regular one.

As for the rain detector problem, it is extremely common when the glass is replaced by a generic glass shop, and most of the time it requires a recalibration by a dealer. In a few extreme cases (of lack of competence by the installer) I have seen sensors physically damaged during removal from the old glass. In more recent cars which have radar and sometimes lidar sensors for the driving assistance systems (such as adaptive cruise and self-driving) the windshield replacement has become extremely complex and requires a complete re-calibration with the appropriate, manufacturer-specific software, but thankfully that is not the case of our older cars.

Stefano