VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

convertible top frame woes

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Ijgabloo 
#1 ·
So it finally happened, part of my '88's roof frame got a little bent out of shape. I got the top closed, but I fear I can't (or shouldn't) bend this piece back. The piece that bent is the lower mount for one of the hydraulics. This prevents me from being able to open the top. I've wanted to get the whole top replaced, skeleton and all, for a while now, but haven't been focusing on saving up for it.

Can anybody point me to where I could look up how much a frame would cost? or how much a complete r+r on the top might cost? Anybody gone through this themselves?

#5 ·
#10 ·
BTW, what type of non-messy lubricant do you suggest for this job?
HHS Plus. This Wurth product is what you should use. You spray it into the joint/hinge and when the solvent drys, it changes to a thick grease that does not drip out. Everyone should have this product on their shelf. Done right, one can should last you a lifetime. It takes me several years to go thru a can. Works great on bicycle chains if you are into that kind of thing.

https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-P...urpose/HHS-Plus-500-ml-(aerosol)/p/0893106026

#8 ·
My struts *were* in really good condition, until this happened. The were able to hold the top up in the air with no problem in spite of being original (I think, they both have VW/Audi logos on them). The one whose mount got bent is probably toast now, and I suppose I ought to replace both sides together.

#9 ·
Wise decision.... At mcmastercarr.com, replacement part number: 9416K337 (you will also need two eyelets per strut, P/N 9416K84)
has the kind that you can assemble with 2 eyes on each end, just leave the washers off, they are about 40 bucks for both sides and they work well, I have had
2 sets of them one set for each car.

#11 ·
Also on the subject of the convertible top; mine is in tatters. Huge tears along the rear seams, like I could get stuff from out of the trunk through the hole in my top. What is top replacement like? I've had a couple different furniture upholstery place recommended to me, and there are several restoration businesses around me; what's the best sort of place to go to? Is it something I could do myself with a partner? Anything I should avoid?

#13 ·
What is top replacement like? I've had a couple different furniture upholstery place recommended to me, and there are several restoration businesses around me; what's the best sort of place to go to? Is it something I could do myself with a partner? Anything I should avoid?
Would you take your Sofa to a Auto Mechanic to replace the Springs?

A furniture repair place is unlikely to be equipped or knowledgeable in convertible top replacement, you want to find an automotive upholstery shop.

There several write-ups on cabby-info.com, they all have good information in them. It is involved, but doable over a weekend with an extra set of hands. There are also vendors for tops and the other items you may need or want, like a new top pad. Read through the DIY guides a few times and make sure you have the tools you'll need if you decide you feel up to the task. You may run I to hiccups along the way with regards to the condition of the frame and it's components. The rear window frames are often rusted and may need replaced, but you won't know until you get in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
X3 but only if you read-and re-read them about 3 times...
In the FAQ's page 3 The last post on that page (75) some one has gone to great lengths on about every aspect of Vert top issues they have seen, so you may want to read all about it as well as why the Parcel Shelf is important to longevity of your top.

Chortle on the UK side I think which Cabby-info has a link to are also another fine place to start, can you do it yourself sure you can...It isn't rocket science, but there are steps that are laid out, and you have to follow them in order, you can't skip about.

step 1 Deconstruct.
step 2. headliner.
step 3. padding kit
step 4. Outer Skin and cable.

If you don't know the condition of your cable for the rear order a new one.

UK version
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=31&keep_session=293073739

US version
http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2330

FAQ page 3 scroll to the bottom.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1065244-Official-Cabrio-Cabriolet-FAQ/page3

I suggest you read them all and re-read all a few times, then take photos of your top as you de-construst it so you will know.....

#12 ·
A furniture repair place is unlikely to be equipped or knowledgeable in convertible top replacement, you want to find an automotive upholstery shop.

There several write-ups on cabby-info.com, they all have good information in them. It is involved, but doable over a weekend with an extra set of hands. There are also vendors for tops and the other items you may need or want, like a new top pad. Read through the DIY guides a few times and make sure you have the tools you'll need if you decide you feel up to the task. You may run I to hiccups along the way with regards to the condition of the frame and it's components. The rear window frames are often rusted and may need replaced, but you won't know until you get in there.

#14 ·
Was hoping for Briano to chime in, he's got more experience than me.

And, yes, the rear shelf is vital as it supports the rear window frame as the top folds. My '82 has a wood finished rear shelf with some aluminum "runners" for the window frame to slide on.

#15 ·
In all fairness, the furniture places (two of them) were recommended to me by people who have had their own cars done, and their websites show examples of automotive work they've done. One even does boats! Now of course that sort of place would not be my first choice, but I reckoned it bared mentioning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.