VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cammisa wadded up a Shelby GT350 while drifting

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF, 2017 Genesis G90
      07-11-2019 08:25 AM #1
      Today I learned that BMW has a maneuverability test where each car is loaded to maximum front-axle weight with its highest friction tires and you have to be able to turn the wheel ~600 degrees per second. Kudos to Cammisa for turning an accident into an interesting look into electronic power steering.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...hing-you-want/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      07-11-2019 08:36 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by cammisa
      Whether it’s a four-cylinder on skinny all-season tires or a monster Shelby, all Mustangs use the same steering rack—and its EPAS motor is visibly small. Ironically, this may be one of the reasons for the GT350’s brilliant steering feel. One of the primary drawbacks of EPAS is that the motor acts like a damper for road feel. Every time the front wheels change direction even the slightest amount, the motor has to spin up and then slow back down. The more powerful the motor, the bigger and heavier its rotating parts, and the more it dampens the forces coming back to your hands.
      Ah Jason, so close to using the words properly. Dampers damp, wet sponges dampen.

07-11-2019 09:37 AM #3
      Is he okay? I appreciated his Head2Head stuff with Johnny Lieberman on Motortrend.com.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI
      07-11-2019 10:05 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Ah Jason, so close to using the words properly. Dampers damp, wet sponges dampen.

damp·en
      /ˈdampən/

verb
      make slightly wet.
      "the fine rain dampened her face"
      synonyms: moisten, damp, wet, dew, water, irrigate, humidify; More
      make less strong or intense.
      "nothing could dampen her enthusiasm"
      synonyms: lessen, decrease, diminish, reduce, lower, moderate, damp, damp down, put a damper on, throw cold water on, calm, cool, chill, dull, blunt, tone down, deaden, temper, discourage; More

07-11-2019 10:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Damp towels damp?
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF, 2017 Genesis G90
      07-11-2019 11:09 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Is he okay? I appreciated his Head2Head stuff with Johnny Lieberman on Motortrend.com.

Chris
      It seems so. At the very least he's well enough to write.

07-11-2019 11:45 AM #7
      Cars like the 911/Boxster/Miata/etc are always going to have decent/good steering feel due to relatively skinny tires and low weight on the nose.

The Shelby runs 295 or 305 tires on the front depending on the model so the tradeoff for steering feel makes sense. I haven't heard the same problem with the Camaro though...

Maybe I'll ask Jim Mero on CF later.
      I post about random car stuff on IG now. LINK

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      07-11-2019 11:50 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post

Maybe I'll ask Jim Mero on CF later.
      What would he know?

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      07-11-2019 12:21 PM #9
      No wonder the 911 runs relatively skinny tires up front.

07-11-2019 12:24 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      What would he know?
      Not much.
      I post about random car stuff on IG now. LINK

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      07-11-2019 12:37 PM #11
      This thread makes me damp.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      07-11-2019 03:32 PM #12
      The test BMW does on steering resistance got me wondering about the potential to “beat” electric power steering. So I went and checked my two cars, naturally.

The Z/28, with electric power steering and 305mm wide front tires, definitely felt a bit more reluctant to spin lock to lock while sitting still. The Volvo, with its old school hydraulic power steering and 235mm side tires, was a bit lighter - and also didn’t seem to increase resistance as I spun the steering wheel. It stayed consistent.

This in-depth and incredibly scientific test means... nothing. But I’m sure the guy watching me spin my steering wheel on both cars in the alley has questions.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      07-11-2019 04:16 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      The test BMW does on steering resistance got me wondering about the potential to “beat” electric power steering. So I went and checked my two cars, naturally.

The Z/28, with electric power steering and 305mm wide front tires, definitely felt a bit more reluctant to spin lock to lock while sitting still. The Volvo, with its old school hydraulic power steering and 235mm side tires, was a bit lighter - and also didn’t seem to increase resistance as I spun the steering wheel. It stayed consistent.

This in-depth and incredibly scientific test means... nothing. But I’m sure the guy watching me spin my steering wheel on both cars in the alley has questions.
      I just had to do this for reasons that involve dead Toyotas with several cars in my driveway. Indeed. Each was rather different for reasons. The old B5 was the easiest with its hyperactive hydraulics. The MR2 was the worst with its complete absence of help. The BRZ was in the middle. The Corororororororolla was closer to the B5 without any of the wide sticky tyres or exceptionally stupid suspension.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

07-11-2019 04:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      No wonder the 911 runs relatively skinny tires up front.
      The 911 has no where near as much weight up front compared to a Mustang.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      07-11-2019 04:49 PM #15
      Not sure how true it is that a larger steering motor needs to filter steering feedback more. Just like with regenerative braking, with the right sensors and control units, you can control how much electric motors resist turning.

I mean, the Gen3 Cayenne's steer great, I'm sure they've got a beefy motor.

07-11-2019 05:18 PM #16
      Camissa is a cool guy, hope he is ok. It sounds like there was some excessive driving involved. Anyone remember this guy?

18. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      07-11-2019 05:36 PM #17
      I've yet to have EPS get in the way while driving, but the last one I drove was Daves GT350R, and I'm not going to pitch his car sideways unless expressly requested, and I doubt he'd request me to do so.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      07-11-2019 05:43 PM #18
      Came in for video...

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco and '88 Cabriolet, both 2.0 16Vs.
      07-11-2019 06:04 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post

Chris

Oh yeah, no one got hurt*— but thanks for your guys' concern. The whole thing happened in Oct 2015*(OMG 4 years ago already?!) while filming the Ignition I did between on the GT350.

I backed it into a tire wall on the passenger rear and scuffed it. If you go back and watch the episode, look close on the right-rear and you'll see some damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbNlkP-ZSM

I felt awful. Randy (Pobst), whom I had just started working with, thought I was a total hack. Even more so the next day when I did it AGAIN for a scene where he was chasing me in a Dodge Charger cop car. The first time I knew the wheel had locked up in my hand; the second I KNEW. Clear as day. Made me feel better when, while we were cleaning the dirt out of the wheels, one of the other MT staffers spun the other car (a GT350R) off the track backward and ripped a tire off the wheels.

Then, couple years later, we did a 1LE vs GT350R episode and from day 1, I said: NO DRIFTS. Randy wanted to try it anyway when we got to Willow Springs. Randy doesn't spin cars. If he does, something's wrong. He spun the R over and over and over again. I think he got one or two drifts in where it didn't snap back the other direction and throw him into a spin.

I never said anything about it because... who wants to be the guy who wrecks somebody else's car and then blames the car. But after that, I knew. Is it a flaw? Well, depends on your viewpoint: Is the point of a car to do full-opposite-lock slides at 1g for camera? Probably not. Therefore it's just a thing.

But over the last few years, I've driven a couple hundred more cars with EPAS and there's definitely a motor-size correlation with high-frequency on-center feel. Bigger the motor (given the same type of assist) the less comes through. BMWs are massive.

And for @MylesPH1 and such, you can't compare hydro and EPAS systems. In reality you can't just compare two different EPAS-motor sizes. There are so many other significant factors: suspension design, wheel size, tire type and size, alignment, weight, steering ratio, it goes on and on.

But anyway... other questions? Just ask away!
      J
      Last edited by 2ManyCars; 07-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
      1987 VW Scirocco 16V (2.0 16V)
      1989 VW Cabriolet (2.0 16V)
      2016 VW e-Golf
      ...and other cars that don't have VW badges on them.

21. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      07-11-2019 06:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      This thread makes me damp.
      Dampen your excitement young man.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

22. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      07-11-2019 06:24 PM #21
      I'm surprised you wrote that article to be honest. Car culture, male ego, and the herp derp "I R GR8 Drivr I never crash" mentality can be brutal on those who either make mistakes, or hit the limitations of the car in your case Jason. Why am I surprised? Well it was 4 years ago and you had gotten away with the crime, but then brought it up later. This being TCL I'm actually surprised some asshat hasn't posted in here saying nothing but stupid nasty things.

The internet man. It's a funny place.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      07-11-2019 06:29 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I'm surprised you wrote that article to be honest. Car culture, male ego, and the herp derp "I R GR8 Drivr I never crash" mentality can be brutal on those who either make mistakes, or hit the limitations of the car in your case Jason. Why am I surprised? Well it was 4 years ago and you had gotten away with the crime, but then brought it up later. This being TCL I'm actually surprised some asshat hasn't posted in here saying nothing but stupid nasty things.

The internet man. It's a funny place.
      It takes a big man to admit he made a mistake and crashed, especially one who pushes cars regularly.

This is truly something else though. To scientifically decipher and filter through after the fact and manage to blame a component on the car and absolve yourself. I'm impressed.
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      07-11-2019 06:30 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Dampen your excitement young man.
      I can't! It's beyond my control at this point!

Vehicles
      07-11-2019 06:32 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post

My dad's 964 race car is getting closer to being finished. 3.8L forged internals engine build with ITBs/EFI. It also now has a Volvo S40 electric steering pump. Am I going to die?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      07-11-2019 06:36 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      This being TCL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast