VWVortex.com - Experience with rearview mirror mounted backup cams?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Experience with rearview mirror mounted backup cams?

07-11-2019 09:52 AM #1
      I'd like to a backup camera to my 2013 C-Max SEL, as it didn't come with this option. I'm thinking the rearview mirror mounted option would be the cleanest one for installation.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm concerned that they may produce a glare if they don't have an auto-dimming feature. Any that you all would recommend? I also don't mind the ones have a dash camera built in. May come in handy one of these days.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      07-12-2019 12:37 AM #2
      Two things:

I’ve had the Crimestopper 9157 OE-style direct replacement monitor mirrors for a backup cam for 6 years. (see the link, the video is not it). Absolutely fantastic. Zero complaints. NONE of the problems covered in (2.) below. Research their different models to pick the one best suited for your car and needs. Crimestopper has a website with their whole product catalogue, but I bought mine through SonicElectronix. Amazon also sells some of their models. I keep my dashcam as a completely separate device, it has nothing to do with the reversing cam in the mirror. My mirror has two inputs, so you could use the second input to have an on-demand camera (say, for rear view, or front for parking, or video from your phone ) and leave the first input for an automatically-switched back up camera like I do.

http://www.crimestopper.com/products...irrors/sv-9157

http://www.crimestopper.com/products...r-view-mirrors

This video shows the negatives of getting a poor quality clip-on one instead of the OE mount replacement ones above. It is NOT the style I have.

Last edited by OOOO-A3; 07-12-2019 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Clarified wording and added additional link

07-12-2019 05:47 AM #3
      I bought one of the higher rated ones on amazon, and I personally wouldn't recommend it. The problem with having the screen behind the glass is that it needed to be tinted too dark, so it didn't function well as a mirror anymore. It was really cool in theory since it also had a dashcam built in, and would record both front, and back simultaneously.

If you do get one, look for one of the models where the screen is separate from the main mirror.

It looks like you may be able to pretty simply retrofit a camera to your existing screen. That would probably be a lot cleaner.

https://www.4dtech.com/products/ford/c-max/2013/

These guys sell harnesses to add the backup camera to OEM
      Last edited by HI SPEED; 07-12-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      07-12-2019 08:57 AM #4
      I put on OEM ford in-mirror one on my F350 years ago (7?). Just paired it with a cheap camera off amazon. No complaints.
      Dave

07-12-2019 05:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I bought one of the higher rated ones on amazon, and I personally wouldn't recommend it. The problem with having the screen behind the glass is that it needed to be tinted too dark, so it didn't function well as a mirror anymore. It was really cool in theory since it also had a dashcam built in, and would record both front, and back simultaneously.

If you do get one, look for one of the models where the screen is separate from the main mirror.

It looks like you may be able to pretty simply retrofit a camera to your existing screen. That would probably be a lot cleaner.

https://www.4dtech.com/products/ford/c-max/2013/

These guys sell harnesses to add the backup camera to OEM
      Oh my goodness! Thank you! Yes, this is what I'd have preferred. I ordered it and will be shipping the mirror/combo back.

I owe you a beer when I'm in Hawaii.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr