VWVortex.com - Drove a Golf R the other day.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drove a Golf R the other day.

1. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      07-12-2019 06:43 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      Fun fact, DSG shifts in 8 milliseconds and the PDK does it in 60. The DSG is faster, why wouldnít Bugatti use a PDK? They didnít, they used a DSG
      Fun fact, the DSG is still worse than the ZF8.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      ďOnly those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.Ē -T.S. Eliot

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-12-2019 07:01 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Fun fact, the DSG is still worse than the ZF8.
      Even more of a fun fact, they are both a snooze fest.

4. 07-12-2019 07:07 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      For what itís worth, the STI shifter and transmission are light years better than the base WRX. Itís one of the reason I didnít consider a base WRX after driving one.
      It took a good amount of garage work and cash but I got it there. Group N trans mount, STI short shifter, shift stop, brass bushing, heavy shift knob, tuned (no rev hang) make it feel like a different car. For what it is worth, it now feels smoother than the STI because of no rev hang. It is a bliss to throw the gears around now compared to the bag of gravel the stock shifter feel was.

5. 07-12-2019 07:10 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      High revving, naturally aspirated cars that make the power higher up in the rev range suit manuals better.

Low revving, turbocharged cars that make a lot of torque right off the line and then run out of breath suit DSG better.
      LOL, no just no. Unless you are chasing magazine numbers, anything with a sporty intention suits manuals better, specially a fun quick spooling turbo.

6. 07-12-2019 07:21 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Unless you are chasing magazine numbers,
      This is far from the only reason to get an automatic for a performance car

And we can't forget that all stickshifts are not created equal. Look at all the work you did to get decent shift quality out of the STI. Look at the weak clutch problem with the GTI/R. G70 manual is meh. Every Nissan manual in existence ranges from awful to meh. Rev hang is cancer etc. If the only fun part of a car is changing gears either it's a ****ty car or someone's priorities are warped

7. 07-12-2019 07:27 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      This is far from the only reason to get an automatic for a performance car

And we can't forget that all stickshifts are not created equal. Look at all the work you did to get decent shift quality out of the STI. Look at the weak clutch problem with the GTI/R. G70 manual is meh. Every Nissan manual in existence ranges from awful to meh. Rev hang is cancer etc. If the only fun part of a car is changing gears either it's a ****ty car or someone's priorities are warped
      Sure there are other reasons:

-Doesn't know how to drive a stick
      -Spouse won't allow it
      -Injury/disability (perfectly understandable of course)

8. 07-12-2019 07:31 AM #57
      There are different ways to enjoy cars.... some don't involve a 3rd pedal.

9. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      07-12-2019 07:47 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      There are different ways to enjoy cars.... some don't involve a 3rd pedal.
      Yeah. But usually the vehicle is stopped and you are making the beast with two backs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      ďOnly those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.Ē -T.S. Eliot

10. 07-12-2019 08:06 AM #59
      LOL, no just no. Unless you are chasing magazine numbers, anything with a sporty intention suits manuals better, specially a fun quick spooling turbo.
      LOL. Nope. DSG in sport manual mode is more fun than stabbing away at a clutch pedal in the Golf R. You control the shifts and it's just a seamless flow of power.

Vehicles
      '19 Miata GT-S
      07-12-2019 08:21 AM #60
      LOL. Nope. DSG in sport manual mode is more fun than stabbing away at a clutch pedal in the Golf R. You control the shifts and it's just a seamless flow of power.
      Classic TCL, arguing about whose personal preference is right. Personally, I still prefer the manual in the R over the DSG, but I think they're both plenty fun to drive.

12. 07-12-2019 08:23 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      Fun fact, DSG shifts in 8 milliseconds and the PDK does it in 60. The DSG is faster, why wouldnít Bugatti use a PDK? They didnít, they used a DSG
      stop with the facts, you're confusing him.
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

13. 07-12-2019 08:23 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Yeah. But usually the vehicle is stopped and you are making the beast with two backs.

14. 07-12-2019 08:49 AM #63
      LOL, swing and a miss again. The automatic controls the car for you.

This article nails it:

"So all in all, the seven-speed is an improvement over the six-speed DSG that it replaces, and that can still be found in the GTI. But can an extra gear and an extra clutch make this better than the Golf Rís six-speed manual transmission?

No.

Sure, itís fast. Sure, you can stay in power band for longer. Sure, you can flip paddles like all of your favorite race car drivers. But so what? Going faster is personal pursuit, and I acknowledge that for VW, the improvement is impressive, but from the driverís seat, their achievement is just that: their achievement. It doesnít make me feel any better. When Iím in a manual car, I can see whatís ahead of me and predict when and where Iíll need what. Itís a skill and the honing of that skill is what I enjoy. You donít drive to go fast in the same way you donít eat because you want to poop. Going fast is a result of the joys of driving, itís not the joy. And the six-speed manual in the Golf R is still really good, so keep buying that."

https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...-r-first-drive

Absolutely spot on.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-12-2019 08:53 AM #64
      #Banhawc

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      07-12-2019 08:59 AM #65
      LOL, swing and a miss again. The automatic controls the car for you.

This article nails it:

"So all in all, the seven-speed is an improvement over the six-speed DSG that it replaces, and that can still be found in the GTI. But can an extra gear and an extra clutch make this better than the Golf Rís six-speed manual transmission?

No.

Sure, itís fast. Sure, you can stay in power band for longer. Sure, you can flip paddles like all of your favorite race car drivers. But so what? Going faster is personal pursuit, and I acknowledge that for VW, the improvement is impressive, but from the driverís seat, their achievement is just that: their achievement. It doesnít make me feel any better. When Iím in a manual car, I can see whatís ahead of me and predict when and where Iíll need what. Itís a skill and the honing of that skill is what I enjoy. You donít drive to go fast in the same way you donít eat because you want to poop. Going fast is a result of the joys of driving, itís not the joy. And the six-speed manual in the Golf R is still really good, so keep buying that."

https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...-r-first-drive

Absolutely spot on.
      Counter point: I think the manual is absolutely average and not befitting a car with sporting intentions. After driving Hondas, the Miata and the BRZ for so long, I cannot tolerate an average shifter. My minimum standard for a manual is the Tremec TR6060. Anything that feels worse than that is instantly off my list.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      07-12-2019 09:00 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      #Banhawc
      I can't believe I'm going to bat for Hawk, but I found the manual transmission on the Golf R completely underwhelming. It's garbage compared to its peers (Focus RS, STI, Veloster N and Civic Type-R).

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-12-2019 09:10 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I can't believe I'm going to bat for Hawk, but I found the manual transmission on the Golf R completely underwhelming. It's garbage compared to its peers (Focus RS, STI, Veloster N and Civic Type-R).
      I actually agree to an extent. I haven't driven a manual R, but the GTI shifter I drove was certainly very "meh." VW shifters aren't bad per-se, but they feel sort of "lose" to me, and the clutch is way too light for my tastes. I'd still take it over a DSG, but I'm weird like that

19. Member
      07-12-2019 09:16 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by aethelwulf View Post
      Classic TCL, arguing about whose personal preference is right. Personally, I still prefer the manual in the R over the DSG, but I think they're both plenty fun to drive.
      You do realize arguing over the internet is a waste of time? Right?

I will just keep driving my Stage II R /w my stock clutch, like the other people that know how to drive a 6MT, knowing too that I paid over $1,000 less then the DSG. Do I get envy of 0-60 times? Yes. When I am flowing through open road? Hell no, been there done that. What about bumper to bumper traffic? Well...

Also, I have done enough research to know now, that when I have to upgrade my stock clutch (not the flywheel), DSG owners will be paying for TCU tunes to increase their clamping levels or face expensive repairs. Financially all said and done I am still ahead.
      Now if we start talking about Stage III builds, you will be replacing your clutches in both the DSG (which will cost you double) and the 6MT. So you are never ahead with the DSG...except in a 0-60 race.

$70 worth of metal bushings and 15 minutes of your time, do wonders for the 6MT if you are optimistic.
      Last edited by Rudy_H; 07-12-2019 at 09:18 AM.

20. Member
      07-12-2019 09:39 AM #69
      DSG suits the overall feel of the car more in my opinion. If you want balls out performance, get a Type R.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      07-12-2019 09:45 AM #70
      if you can only have fun with a MT you are not trying hard enough.

MT GTI owner
      My glass is half-full of empty

22. 07-12-2019 09:53 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      if you can only have fun with a MT you are not trying hard enough.

MT GTI owner
      I don't even think it's about the driving experience honestly. Some people will jump behind anything if it provides them an opportunity to act superior to others. One can (and many do) enjoy manuals without ****ting on automatics and the people who use them. But for the most staunch MT evangelists living and letting live just won't do

Vehicles
      Accord 2.0t, Pilot, E30
      07-12-2019 09:56 AM #72
      Whether you go manual or DSG, you can probably get a good deal on one now. When I was looking a month ago, I was able to negotiate to $2k off sticker. One dealer I was working with, Quirk in NH, currently has 6 R's in stock. One of them they have had since April.

Vehicles
      GTI | Sport
      07-12-2019 09:59 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      I'll even kick things down a notch in agreement: I can't really see myself doing that either, and I have but a GTI. Like hell I'm gonna spend $800/mo instead of $380/mo to DD something for 50 miles/day that's not $550 a month more car in comparison

I imagine the GTI will get updated to a 2019 R at some point. Sounds dumb, but I just had a 2020 Tiguan loaner for a week and for all the time I spend behind the wheel, I was most impressed by the latest iteration of VW infotainment in comparison to my 17
      100% agree with this (for both the GTI and R). Yes, other cars are better, but you'll have to spend a lot more to match the GTI's dollar-to-value ratio.

My MK7 is the first car in a long time where I have no answer for the question "what would I replace this thing with if it disappeared tomorrow?" Probably another one, TBH.
      17 gti sport | 16 xc60 t5 | seventwosix

07-12-2019 10:24 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      100% agree with this (for both the GTI and R). Yes, other cars are better, but you'll have to spend a lot more to match the GTI's dollar-to-value ratio.

My MK7 is the first car in a long time where I have no answer for the question "what would I replace this thing with if it disappeared tomorrow?" Probably another one, TBH.
      Mine too, and from me, that's saying a LOT.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      07-12-2019 10:44 AM #75
      I love my Golf R. I'm at 75K km. I had some clutch-slipping issues in 5th and 6th gear a few months ago, but they've gone away.

Just so you're aware, the R is designed around Lapiz Blue and Pretorias.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast