VWVortex.com - The 2019 GLI is Jetta Perfection | MotorWeek Road Test
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Results 126 to 145 of 145

    Thread: The 2019 GLI is Jetta Perfection | MotorWeek Road Test

    1. 07-17-2019 09:38 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      They're okay, but the bar was set at "super attractive", which I think they fall short on. They're not offensive or anything, just somewhere in the vicinity of "bland", "crisp", "European" and "stylish".

      I always look to the grandfather of water cooled VWs..that is the MKI Golf and Jetta...they were "handsome" which is what I consider to be
      the genesis of their modern day styling. MKI, II, IV, MKI Scirocco, all very "handsome" cars. Things went down hill with the early Passat/Quantum
      Corrado, ....The VW Lamando is a handsome car that is part of VW DNA. It doesn't necessarily mean "attractive".

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member GLI Edition 30's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2016
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      171
      Vehicles
      Mk6 Jetta GLI - Edition 30
      07-18-2019 11:27 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by vwguru714 View Post
      MQB, MQB, MQB. Everytime someone writes these 3 letters in a post I feel as if they are aroused by it and I must be lesser because my nipples dont get erect at the mere mention of the platform that was surely touched by God himself.
      Hehe you probably didn’t go and try to tune your car with a non-mqb engine. The gti got the new mqb engines and were able to get amazing tuning numbers but everyone with the non-mqb were told sorry deal with it. So if someone with the Non mqb engine wanting to go stage 1 or more would only see minimal gains in HP/TQ compared to the mqb version. Also everyone that says “finally” to getting this engine is due to the fact that the GTI got this version I think like 3 maybe 4 years ago. I think it’s been that long. So yeah....
      MQB MQB MQB.....and now you know why 😉
      Last edited by GLI Edition 30; 07-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.

    4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      39,988
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-18-2019 11:29 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Edition 30 View Post
      Then you probably didn’t go and try to tune your car. The gti got the new mqb engines and were able to get amazing tuning numbers but everyone with the non-mqb were told sorry deal with it. someone with the Non mqb engine wanting to go stage 1 or more would see minimal gains in HP compared to the mqb version. Also everyone that says “finally” to getting this engine is due to the fact that the GTI got this version I think like 3 maybe 4 years ago. I think it’s been that long. So yeah....
      MQB MQB MQB.....and now you know why 😉
      yup my MK7 GTI with a jb piggyback tune was able to keep up with a stock 335. I had no other mods either

    5. Member vwlifer27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2005
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,981
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI (wifey)
      07-18-2019 11:34 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      They're okay, but the bar was set at "super attractive", which I think they fall short on. They're not offensive or anything, just somewhere in the vicinity of "bland", "crisp", "European" and "stylish".
      Fair enough.

    6. Member vwlifer27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2005
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,981
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI (wifey)
      07-18-2019 11:35 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      yup my MK7 GTI with a jb piggyback tune was able to keep up with a stock 335. I had no other mods either
      Thread jack: How do you like the JB? I am thinking of doing it for my '19 GTI.

    7. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      39,988
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-18-2019 11:39 AM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      Thread jack: How do you like the JB? I am thinking of doing it for my '19 GTI.
      My lease was up and sold the car to a friend, but it was awesome. Friend kept the JB tune in the car, I definitely recommend it. Anyone that ever drove my car always immediately knew it wasn;t stock. Do you have DSG or manual? It will shorten the lifespan of your clutch rather quickly and require upgrading it. I had DSG so I didn't have that problem. If I got another GTI I would definitely do it again. It's an awesome little program. Best mod you can do for $400.

    8. Member vwlifer27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2005
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,981
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI (wifey)
      07-18-2019 01:28 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      My lease was up and sold the car to a friend, but it was awesome. Friend kept the JB tune in the car, I definitely recommend it. Anyone that ever drove my car always immediately knew it wasn;t stock. Do you have DSG or manual? It will shorten the lifespan of your clutch rather quickly and require upgrading it. I had DSG so I didn't have that problem. If I got another GTI I would definitely do it again. It's an awesome little program. Best mod you can do for $400.
      Sigh. It's a stick.

      I knew the GLI clutches were bad, I thought the GTI's were suppose to be better.

    9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      39,988
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-18-2019 01:31 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      Sigh. It's a stick.

      I knew the GLI clutches were bad, I thought the GTI's were suppose to be better.
      Yea if you google JB4 GTI clutch you'll see the consensus is that it will eventually die and need replacing.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2010
      Posts
      967
      Vehicles
      16 FiST
      07-18-2019 01:41 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I like the WRX and love the STI but both were bigger than I needed and as much as I still love the STI (still might get one in the future) it was pricey and glorious overkill for it's mission, fun daily.

      In the FiST I can confirm the radio does indeed suck

      I'm short and fit snuggly into the Recaros like a glove, love them but I can see where a bigger guy could have issues. That's why I think Volkswagen got it right with the new GLI, as much as I like high bolsters it would limit buyers just for the reasons you mention.

      Outside of the FiST the only car that interests me within budget reason is the Miata, a car you've already had. Like I said, we're close in likes here.

      I get the draw of the GLI, I almost bought a 2007 GLI (wish i had instead of getting a regular Jetta). A bit more room and practically with some pep. If I needed room I would have to look for something on that segment.

      It's smart to wait on the 2020s too, I bet they'll have some things that the 2019s don't. Thanks again, I enjoyed the read.
      May want to consider a Civic Si sedan as well, every review praises the shifter, it has an LSD, Hondata makes a nice tune for it. Watch the Car & Driver Lightning lap, the Si was fearsome in that. When i was going to get rid of the FiST I was between a Si and a WRX and just figured I would go WRX, so didn't take an Si for a drive. I should have. If it wasn't a lateral move into something no more comfortable, I would consider moving to one even now - seems like the closest you can get to a FiST like experience (only about 200lb heavier).

    11. Member vwlifer27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2005
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,981
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI (wifey)
      07-18-2019 02:04 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Yea if you google JB4 GTI clutch you'll see the consensus is that it will eventually die and need replacing.
      I wonder what happened between the MK6 and the MK7. My buddy had a MK6 that was at 200k when he got rid of it. APR stage 2 since 5k miles and he never had to replace the clutch. He drove it hard.

    12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      39,988
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-18-2019 02:10 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      I wonder what happened between the MK6 and the MK7. My buddy had a MK6 that was at 200k when he got rid of it. APR stage 2 since 5k miles and he never had to replace the clutch. He drove it hard.
      Are they still dual mass flywheels? Maybe the MK7 tunes just make so much more power?

    13. Member Helltime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      499
      Vehicles
      '19 GLI
      07-25-2019 08:46 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      May want to consider a Civic Si sedan as well, every review praises the shifter, it has an LSD, Hondata makes a nice tune for it. Watch the Car & Driver Lightning lap, the Si was fearsome in that. When i was going to get rid of the FiST I was between a Si and a WRX and just figured I would go WRX, so didn't take an Si for a drive. I should have. If it wasn't a lateral move into something no more comfortable, I would consider moving to one even now - seems like the closest you can get to a FiST like experience (only about 200lb heavier).
      I looked at a civic SI coupe a year ago or so. Glad I didn't buy one, I see a TON of them popping up used with under 5k miles, I knew someone personally that purchased one, traded it with 3 or 4k miles as well. Said the shifter was bad, rev hang sucked, and I believe over all just wasn't pleasant to live with daily.
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      19 GLI 35th 6spd
      88 Corvette 13.8 @ 101mph
      18 Ducati Monster 821

    14. 07-27-2019 12:54 AM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      I looked at a civic SI coupe a year ago or so. Glad I didn't buy one, I see a TON of them popping up used with under 5k miles, I knew someone personally that purchased one, traded it with 3 or 4k miles as well. Said the shifter was bad, rev hang sucked, and I believe over all just wasn't pleasant to live with daily.
      There are a ton of them in my area on Autotrader.com with super low miles.

    15. Member VTECeateR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2000
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      10,978
      Vehicles
      '94 Laguna Blue Miata, '19 GLI, '16 CX-5 GT
      08-03-2019 04:19 PM #139
      I just took delivery of my 2019 GLI Autobahn. Only bummer to a stock, un-tuned car is it feels super slow. But it's a very nice car and I'm happy to be back in a manual transmission car all the time.



      To say I love the color is an understatement.





      Going to miss the GTI...








      The best part, so far, is the ambient lighting.







      2016 GTI


    16. Member BlakeV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2015
      Posts
      1,778
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-03-2019 04:21 PM #140
      Those guys seem to agree.



      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      It would be my top pick (granted, without driving it) if I was in the market for a $30k 4dr.
      x2. Manual, of course.
      Last edited by BlakeV; 08-03-2019 at 04:25 PM.

    17. 08-03-2019 04:38 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      I just took delivery of my 2019 GLI Autobahn. Only bummer to a stock, un-tuned car is it feels super slow. But it's a very nice car and I'm happy to be back in a manual transmission car all the time.



      To say I love the color is an understatement.





      Going to miss the GTI...








      The best part, so far, is the ambient lighting.







      I'm still living the reddish orange hatch life in the FiST and have ambient lighting too. I thought it was gimmicky at first but grew to love it, I keep it on red. It looks more dramatic in yours, nice!

      That cool exterior color accentuates the red calipers and red stripe. And I hear you on loving being back in a manual. IMO it adds to the enjoyment of the drive.

      You took some good picks, nice angles, thanks for sharing that and congrats!

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 1999
      Location
      West Chester, PA
      Posts
      7,889
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      08-03-2019 05:09 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      There are a ton of them in my area on Autotrader.com with super low miles.
      If you're anywhere in the eastern half of the country there are a ton of honda corporate demos that get out to dealers via their auction at Manheim. Carfax usually says they are "fleet", but they're not rentals. Mileage is usually in the 2000-5000 range.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2017
      Posts
      486
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      08-03-2019 07:58 PM #143
      May consider this as a nice car...wonder how they lease.

    20. Member Ttone74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,740
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R, 2018 Passat GT & 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      08-03-2019 08:56 PM #144
      They need to fix the trims for 2020. Top trim needs DCC, NAV, Fender audio and digital gauge cluster from golf R with the maps.
      RIP: 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed 3 dr hatchback, 1995 VW Jetta GL 6 speed, 1997 Jetta GLS 5 Speed, 1999 Ford Escort Wagon, 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon, 2011 Audi A4, 2012 Ford Focus SEL, 2013 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Navigation, Twin Reflex Silver Metallic 2015 GLI's (SEL & SE)

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2006
      Posts
      4,222
      Vehicles
      JK & B9
      08-04-2019 08:23 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      I just took delivery of my 2019 GLI Autobahn. Only bummer to a stock, un-tuned car is it feels super slow. But it's a very nice car and I'm happy to be back in a manual transmission car all the time.
      I can't see pics?

    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •