Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: alternate spark plugs?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      89 16v gti . 91 gti g60 edition 1 , 88 polo cl
      07-13-2019 04:03 AM #1
      can i throw in some 8v non g60 plugs or similar cheapies just to try the car for a few miles , got a suspect plug but pains me to throw away $$$$ guessing at new plugs and theyre kinda hard to find too

guessing stock copper plugs would run okay as long as im not racing etc...then swap out for correct ones if the fault is cured

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-13-2019 10:12 AM #2
      Yes, you can pretty much install anything you want as long as it fits into the head and the wire can plug on the top. How long with the wrong plug last? Who knows.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      89 16v gti . 91 gti g60 edition 1 , 88 polo cl
      07-14-2019 06:50 AM #3
      yeah just thinking throw some $2 plugs in and ride up the street carefully...if the fault is gone then stump up for the $$$$$ ones

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1991 G60 Corrado, 2006 5sp Golf, 1982 VW Rabbit GTI
      08-08-2019 12:30 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pigbladder View Post
      yeah just thinking throw some $2 plugs in and ride up the street carefully...if the fault is gone then stump up for the $$$$$ ones
      So what did you end up doing?

I've always ONLY used the WR6DPO plugs in my stock G60, gapped at 0.6 to 0.7mm and torqued to 20NM.
      However, there seems to be another one that works but never tried.

BBM sells a Bosch Platinum Spark Plug W5DP0 (for series G40 & tuned G60 >190hp) - Bosch 0241247500

Bosch spark plug for the VW / Polo G40 series engines up to 135HP, and tuned G60 engines > 190HP.
      With high performance engines, the G60 engines need spark plugs with a different heat range. In addition, these spark plugs are for the VW Polo G40 series engines.

My plugs seem to still be running great, only have about 35,000 kms on them.
      Considering replacing the wires, cap and rotor this weekend since I have new ones laying around just to see if there'll be any difference.
      Easy enough to swap back if none.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
      But rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn-out and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride!!