VWVortex.com - unibody flex when entering or exiting my driveway
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unibody flex when entering or exiting my driveway

1. 07-16-2019 03:08 PM #1
      Does anyone lese have this issue; the car's body flex when going in or getting out of their driveway and sometime during aggressive cornering. When the body flex, it usually makes a ticking noise or creaking noise. How stiff is the MQB platform, my old Audi with the MLB platform had no body flex at all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      07-16-2019 03:48 PM #2
      None noticeable on mine, going diagonal up a slanted drive at my office - about 3-foot incline taken at an angle. I've had the occasional creak noise around the panorama sunroof on my Allroad and previous Passat Wagon when they were 3-4 years old when taking it faster or more aggressive - nothing too worrying as there were never any signs of chassis or body flex in aggressive driving with either and no signs of leaks, seam wear, etc - I always just chalked it up to a little flex in wagon bodystyles with all that long roof, especially if there's a giant sunroof carved out of it. So far, no noises or creaks from the Arteon.
      _____
      Justin

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      07-16-2019 08:29 PM #3
      The MQB is pretty stiff. No flex in the Tiguan with stock suspension. While the Arteon is longer, the Tiguan is more squared off. My B5 wagon flexes, but it was not bad until after the suspension install, the B5.5 sedan does not flex.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL R-Line 4Motion
      07-16-2019 09:48 PM #4
      What you’re hearing is definitely not unibody flex. Suspension noise maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon , 2008 Audi S5, 2000 Audi S4, 2004 Passat Wagon, 1998 Passat Wagon, Audi 5000S
      07-16-2019 10:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
      Does anyone lese have this issue; the car's body flex when going in or getting out of their driveway and sometime during aggressive cornering. When the body flex, it usually makes a ticking noise or creaking noise. How stiff is the MQB platform, my old Audi with the MLB platform had no body flex at all.
      Not heard anything myself, although body structures must and do flex. Are you sure its the body that is flexing?

8. 07-17-2019 11:24 AM #6
      No, I am not sure if its body flex. I hear ticking noise when coming out of my driveway, when the car is cold and during quick turns, not so much over bumps on the road.

Vehicles
      ‘19 Arteon SE Urano Gray/ ‘19 Tiguan S SBM/DAP
      07-17-2019 01:49 PM #7
      No, I am not sure if its body flex. I hear ticking noise when coming out of my driveway, when the car is cold and during quick turns, not so much over bumps on the road.
      I don’t have this on the Arteon however my R had it, a distinct ‘tick’ pulling into the driveway at an angle. Had it looked at, suspension bushings and whatnot greased and it went away for a while. My guess is your issue may be the same?
      ‘19 Arteon SE 4Motion Urano Gray
      ‘19 SBM Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP

10. 07-17-2019 04:29 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisMk6TDi View Post
      I don’t have this on the Arteon however my R had it, a distinct ‘tick’ pulling into the driveway at an angle. Had it looked at, suspension bushings and whatnot greased and it went away for a while. My guess is your issue may be the same?
      Thanks, it might be the suspension as well. These cars have been sitting at port for a while. Did the grease fix the problem or did it eventually came back.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC Luxury
      07-17-2019 06:10 PM #9
      Sounds like a front subframe flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SE 4 Motion, 2012 CC R Line, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      07-17-2019 06:34 PM #10
      While this may not have anything to do with your concern, I thought it was worth mentioning.

I do recall a similar concern with some of the B6 Passats when they were new. As I recall it was attributed to subframe bolts that needed additional tightening. They are stretch bolts, so it required bolt replacement.

13. 07-19-2019 09:13 AM #11
      The rattle seem to be getting worst, its coming from the driver side dash or door. I just place a call to my salesman asking for a loaner when I bring my car in.

14. 12-05-2019 09:20 PM #12
      Just bought a 2019 Arteon SEL-R and there is body flex when going into driveways at an angle or even turning on roads. It sounds like the windows are rubbing against the seals when the car flexes. Sounds like all 4 doors too.

15. 12-06-2019 08:54 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by mjb12 View Post
      Just bought a 2019 Arteon SEL-R and there is body flex when going into driveways at an angle or even turning on roads. It sounds like the windows are rubbing against the seals when the car flexes. Sounds like all 4 doors too.

This is the window seal conditioner I used to fix the same problem you have, it seem to fix the issue for the most part. If it doesn't, your window or doors might need to be re-align.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16. 12-06-2019 10:06 AM #14
      This is the window seal conditioner I used to fix the same problem you have, it seem to fix the issue for the most part. If it doesn't, your window or doors might need to be re-align.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Thank you! I cannot believe how much they squeak. It’s incredible. It literally feels like the car is 5yrs old already, loose, squeaking, rubbing, even while driving on city streets it sounds like a Sh**-box tbh. Like the dealer beat the crap out of it on a joyride before selling it to me. 🤦🏻*♂️

17. 12-06-2019 10:33 AM #15
      Thank you! I cannot believe how much they squeak. It’s incredible. It literally feels like the car is 5yrs old already, loose, squeaking, rubbing, even while driving on city streets it sounds like a Sh**-box tbh. Like the dealer beat the crap out of it on a joyride before selling it to me. 🤦🏻*♂️
      Are all the squeaks coming from the window seal? After I applied the seal conditioner, there was a marginal improvement but there was still squeaks and rattles in my Arteon. Most of my rattles was coming from the clam shell hood, after I felt tape everything in the hood, it quiet it down but still a lots of strange noises. What was your last car? If you are like me and coming from the likes of other German luxury brand, the VW will seem like a rattle box. The Arteon may have nice driving dynamics and lots of features but it still has that infamous VW quality or lack thereof. Its all in relative to ones expectation and level of noise they are accustomed to. I am sure not every VW is like this, we are just the few unlucky ones.
      Last edited by The G Man; 12-06-2019 at 10:37 AM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat, 2010 Passat Sedan, 2010 Passat Wagon, 2019 Arteon
      12-06-2019 10:33 AM #16
      If it is that severe, there may be a door alignment issue. The dealer should address this.
      My car has no rattles or squeaks to speak of; super solid as one would expect a new car to be.

19. 12-06-2019 11:05 AM #17
      Are all the squeaks coming from the window seal? After I applied the seal conditioner, there was a marginal improvement but there was still squeaks and rattles in my Arteon. Most of my rattles was coming from the clam shell hood, after I felt tape everything in the hood, it quiet it down but still a lots of strange noises. What was your last car? If you are like me and coming from the likes of other German luxury brand, the VW will seem like a rattle box. The Arteon may have nice driving dynamics and lots of features but it still has that infamous VW quality or lack thereof. Its all in relative to ones expectation and level of noise they are accustomed to. I am sure not every VW is like this, we are just the few unlucky ones.
      It’s pretty bad. I hear it in the windows, sunroof, and sometimes in the rear like the trunk area. This is my 3rd VW - 2013 GLI Autobahn, 2018 GT V6 - was like a race car which was not what I was looking for - so with the 0% decided to trade in for the Arteon. The dealer couldn’t wait to sell it to me. The sunroof shade is all saggy, the door trim piece on the inside where the side mirrors are is not secured fully like its half secured and loose on one end, etc. These are just a few of the things I’ve noticed - in one week of having the car! The previous two VW’s were VW’s for sure in terms of quality (not a luxury brand) but no where near what I just bought in terms of terrible quality. The car is beautiful but feels like a toddler put it together.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-06-2019 11:06 AM #18
      It’s pretty bad. I hear it in the windows, sunroof, and sometimes in the rear like the trunk area. This is my 3rd VW - 2013 GLI Autobahn, 2018 GT V6 - was like a race car which was not what I was looking for - so with the 0% decided to trade in for the Arteon. The dealer couldn’t wait to sell it to me. The sunroof shade is all saggy, the door trim piece on the inside where the side mirrors are is not secured fully like its half secured and loose on one end, etc. These are just a few of the things I’ve noticed - in one week of having the car! The previous two VW’s were VW’s for sure in terms of quality (not a luxury brand) but no where near what I just bought in terms of terrible quality. The car is beautiful but feels like a toddler put it together.
      You must have got a dud. My car has none of these problems. Not even the flex you're speaking of. It is the best put together VW I've ever had (8 over 8 years).

As for the shade, the only reason I've ever seen them sag was from people closing it while the sunroof was open. The wind stretches out the fabric and will do that. That's why on cars with the power shade, you can't close it with the sunroof open (unless you code it). Not saying you did this, but many of the dealers took these things for joy rides before they sold them, so wouldn't be surprised if they did exactly this.

And not to call you out, but you were pretty critical of the GLI as well, so why did you end up coming back to VW if you hate the quality so much?
      Last edited by ice4life; 12-06-2019 at 11:15 AM.

21. 12-06-2019 11:07 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by beaumisbro View Post
      If it is that severe, there may be a door alignment issue. The dealer should address this.
      My car has no rattles or squeaks to speak of; super solid as one would expect a new car to be.
      I can certainly ask them to check that. But all four doors?? And more? (See reply above).

22. 12-06-2019 11:17 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      You must have got a dud. My car has none of these problems. Not even the flex you're speaking of. It is the best put together VW I've ever had (8 over 8 years).

As for the shade, the only reason I've ever seen them sag was from people closing it while the sunroof was open. The wind stretches out the fabric and will do that. That's why on cars with the power shade, you can't close it with the sunroof open (unless you code it).

And not to call you out, but you were pretty critical of the GLI as well, so why did you end up coming back to VW if you hate the quality so much?
      Very fair question. The GLI was nothing but problems. Intake manifold, fuel injectors, heater core the last 3yrs in a row I owned the car (every winter when I needed the heat!). I had the car towed at least once every year. I also thought maybe I just got a bad car with the GLI. No rattles there. The GT was fine and fully functional. I was giving VW the benefit of the doubt, wanted an AWD car, 0%, etc and the GT seemed to work fine.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-06-2019 11:24 AM #21
      Very fair question. The GLI was nothing but problems. Intake manifold, fuel injectors, heater core the last 3yrs in a row I owned the car (every winter when I needed the heat!). I had the car towed at least once every year. I also thought maybe I just got a bad car with the GLI. No rattles there. The GT was fine and fully functional. I was giving VW the benefit of the doubt, wanted an AWD car, 0%, etc and the GT seemed to work fine.
      Yeah my NMS Passat was a very good car. I'm actually considering getting a new 2020 as a second car soon since it has been the same for eons and actually works well. People are very critical of it, but when you stop and look the car loads out at the same 32k I paid for mine 8 years ago. The competition is running 36-38k for nearly the same equipment at this point. So there is a value prop in that car. And it has power folding mirrors, AFS etc again which is really nice in a us built Passat.

24. 12-06-2019 11:30 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Yeah my NMS Passat was a very good car. I'm actually considering getting a new 2020 as a second car soon since it has been the same for eons and actually works well. People are very critical of it, but when you stop and look the car loads out at the same 32k I paid for mine 8 years ago. The competition is running 36-38k for nearly the same equipment at this point. So there is a value prop in that car. And it has power folding mirrors, AFS etc again which is really nice in a us built Passat.
      What does NMS mean? I would have loved a Passat actually and would have been fine with the 4 cylinder in fact, except it’s not offered with AWD.

25. 12-06-2019 11:47 AM #23
      Whats the build date on your car? I have noise from sunroof and the trunk area as well. I can sometimes open and close the sunroof and the noise would go away. Some of the noise coming from the trunk turn out to be the rear camera turning on and off but there are still other unexplained noise back there. My door trims sometimes rattles and the suspension is pretty noise, no insulation in the wheel well. I had no luck getting my VW dealer to fix these rattles.

26. 12-06-2019 12:21 PM #24
      I have creaking noise also coming from the window seals near the B-pillars it sounds... But also I have rattles just about all over this car. (Behind the map lights, in the passenger door behind the ambient lighting, the center console, somewhere in the sunroof rails, and the diriver side door). I don't even have 900 miles on it yet and I've pretty much given up on trying to use the Dynaudio to its full potential...

Has anyone had a successful fix for the creaking? I figured it was just part of owning a pillar-less car.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-06-2019 12:25 PM #25
      What does NMS mean? I would have loved a Passat actually and would have been fine with the 4 cylinder in fact, except it’s not offered with AWD.
      NMS is the name for the 2012 to current US built Passat platform. All other VWs are MQB (or soon MEB for electric). It is the only VW with a different platform, hence why it still doesn't have the digital cockpit etc even with the 2020 "refresh." All MQB cars use interchangeable parts (for the most part); The US passat is the outlier. The EU passat is MQB, and the Arteon is technically an MQB Passat as it is an EU Passat with a hatch. So when people complain they wish we got the EU passat, I tell them to go buy an Arteon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast