VWVortex.com - regarding the 2019 Golf R, what to expect regarding APR ECU and TCU upgrades?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: regarding the 2019 Golf R, what to expect regarding APR ECU and TCU upgrades?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R APR Stage 2+, DG Sigma 6 short-shifter, LOBAMotorsports hpfp, Neuspeed CAI,APR NLS
      07-19-2019 10:36 AM #1
      Hello fellow R owners. I'm thinking of migrating from my MK6 R to the 2019. You can see in my signature how my 6 is set up; just a few tasty mods. At 6 years old, it's been pretty solid (except recently having to replace the start/stop button, and the RR window-lift mechanism). Other than that, routine maintenance and changing the cam follower every 8k miles. I've found the car in all ways to be enjoyable, BUT!! But my wife won't drive a stick, and we need something both of us can drive on longer trips. She's not so interested in a new car as I am. Recently, in looking for a car we could both drive, I've eyed the Alfa Giulia, Genesis G70 and the even contemplated the BMW 3-series. Finally, it occurred to me to look into the new R. Now that it comes standard with an adaptive suspension, and of course the 7-speed DCT, I'm thinking "why not?".

As I've said in the topic line, I interested in the APR stage-1 ECU and TCU upgrades. Specifically, what additional items to watch for with those mods. On my 6, it's basically the cam follower. I'd like some guidance on the matter, please.
      Thank you.
      I tink(er) therefore I am

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7R & FXT
      07-19-2019 10:59 AM #2
      Seems like you should know better..

SEARCH>>>

4. Member
      07-19-2019 11:10 AM #3
      500+ posts and still doesn't know how to search.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R APR Stage 2+, DG Sigma 6 short-shifter, LOBAMotorsports hpfp, Neuspeed CAI,APR NLS
      07-19-2019 11:16 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Crild View Post
      500+ posts and still doesn't know how to search.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      Yes, OK. I get it. Of course I've searched plenty for the mk6 R. I was hoping for an informed reply. Shame on me.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Jetta VR6, '04 TR R32, '16 Oryx R
      07-19-2019 11:25 AM #5
      No cam followers in this engine. I just change my oil every 5k and colder range spark plugs every 15-20. Some will do Haldex service at 20K instead of 30K because there is no filter for this generation. Just a screen that'll need to be cleared of any debris. But that's independent of whether one is tuned.

Other than that enjoy. A tune really adds to the fun factor especially from stop light to stop light.
      Last edited by shinnersvr6; 07-19-2019 at 02:58 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      You can't see your engine bay while you drive, and popping your hood in a parking lot to show off parts is as stupid as listing them in your signature.. (not what the parts were intended for).

8. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2019 12:14 PM #6
      Thank you for sharing. I've got it now. Nothing crazy to worry about. That's great.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      07-19-2019 02:21 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by shinnersvr6 View Post
      No cam followers in this engine. I just change my oil every 5k and colder range spark plugs every 15-20. Some will do DSG service at 20K instead of 30K because there is no filter for this generation. Just a screen that'll need to be cleared of any debris. But that's independent of whether one is tuned.

Other than that enjoy. A tune really adds to the fun factor especially from stop light to stop light.
      I think you're referring to the Haldex Service.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2019 02:59 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ScozR View Post
      I think you're referring to the Haldex Service.
      Brain fart. I fixed. Thanks.
      You can't see your engine bay while you drive, and popping your hood in a parking lot to show off parts is as stupid as listing them in your signature.. (not what the parts were intended for).

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2019 03:05 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_dt View Post
      Thank you for sharing. I've got it now. Nothing crazy to worry about. That's great.

Welcome. Go take a test drive with her to get buy in. I've been APR stg 1 ecu/tcu tuned for 40K miles. No issues. Runs high 11.s. Gets decent mileage with a soft foot. Probably better mpg with the new 7spd dsg.

If i were in your shoes I'd consider the APR+ which includes a limited powertrain warranty.
      Last edited by shinnersvr6; 07-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.