VWVortex.com - Car runs and feels great, but still get a misfire code.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car runs and feels great, but still get a misfire code.

1. 07-21-2019 12:41 AM #1
      Hi to all, this is a '09 Passat with a 2.0 TSI

I've been solving codes one at time and now I have a misfire and multiple misfires code, however, the car runs, accelerates and feels really good.

I did a live check with the VCDS while a friend was driving and I notice that when we stop at red light or stop sign the misfire counts for both cylinder 1 and 3 will start going up (over 200) and will stop once we accelerate. I did same live test after doing the following:

Swapped the coils, swapped the spark plugs, adjust and cleaned the spark plugs.

Problem stays the same in cylinder 1 and 3.

A month ago I cleaned the carbon buildup, 2 months ago I installed a new Intake manifold, I checked for vacuum leaks with a tester and came back normal.

What will be the next thing to check?

Thanks for the input!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Black B6 ___________ Passat, 2.0T ___________ 2004 Grey Silverado ___________ 1500, 4.8L Z71
      07-24-2019 10:39 AM #2
      If it is only misfiring at idle then I would strongly suspect either vac leak (despite the fact that you said you tested that) or Evap system related issue. You could also consider logging fuel pressure data at idle as well to see if anything is out of the ordinary but I suspect it will be fine if the car is behaving as normal once you get moving. You should see around 50bar on the fuel rail at idle and between 5-6bar from the LPFP at idle.

Do you not have any codes besides those for the misfires?
      400BHP / 380CTQ - 2007 B6 Passat 2.0T FSI - Weekend Track Car & Part-time Commuter

Build Thread / Mod List:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Track-Warrior

4. 07-25-2019 01:43 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Thy_Harrowing View Post
      If it is only misfiring at idle then I would strongly suspect either vac leak (despite the fact that you said you tested that) or Evap system related issue.
      Haven't check the Evap; will do.

You could also consider logging fuel pressure data at idle as well to see if anything is out of the ordinary but I suspect it will be fine if the car is behaving as normal once you get moving. You should see around 50bar on the fuel rail at idle and between 5-6bar from the LPFP at idle.
      I did the test today, the VCDS says that 40 Bar is the Specified. Turned the engine off and after 4 minutes the pressure went up to 42.5 Bar, (slowly but it was climbing).

Do you not have any codes besides those for the misfires?
      Just the multiple misfire and misfire on 1 and 3.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-13-2019 07:20 AM #4
      Did you fix this issue?

7. 09-17-2019 11:14 PM #5
      Sorry for the late response.

There's a TSB that addresses this problem, the fix is to plug the VCDS, ignition on engine off, go to OBDII and hit "clear codes" 3 consecutive times.

This end up being the fix.