Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 80 B3 Quattro Sedan... Swap n Refresh

Vehicles
      84 GTI ABA, 81 Rabbit L ABA, 91 80 Quattro 1.8T, 01 A6 Avant
      07-21-2019 11:19 AM #1
      Just bought a 1991 80 Quattro 5 cyl NA, been reading a bit on some things, the plan is to swap in a B5 1.8T, lower it some, possibly a 5 lug conversion. I'm not really seeing anything suspension wise online except $400 lowering springs, what years of Audi interchange between sedan, coupe, Avant suspension wise? This my gateway Audi 😂 had alot of VWs over the years.

Last edited by andymccauley; 10-13-2019 at 11:47 PM.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '91 80 Quattro
      07-25-2019 12:58 PM #2
      The swap can pretty easily be done. I know of a couple B3's with both 1.8t's installed. You will have to make mount arms for it though. If you don't want to make them yourself, I can put you in touch with someone who makes very nice stuff for these cars.

5 lug is pretty easy. You just need 4 B5 rear flanges. The brakes, you will have to sort out yourself.

As for the suspension, that's a little harder. Of course you have your normal springs. H&R, B&G, and weitec. There is also the K&W coilover kit. For that, I think you are looking around $1800, I could be off on the price... There is also the DIY coilover setup. A lot cheaper, but more labor intensive. If you go to motorgeek.com or theprojectpad.com you can look up this setup.

As for Interchangeable parts... The 89-92 80/90 are the same car. Be carful though, the late 90 came with the 20v, and bigger front brakes and knuckles. As for the CQ, they are generally the same, but because the rear weighs more, the suspension is stiffer.

I'm currently running a complete weitec suspension kit for a CQ on my 91 80q, and love it. It's a 45mm drop on the coupe, but on the sedan the rear only dropped about 35mm. Really helped me from scrubbing my tires like I did with the B&G springs I had on previously. Although, it did look a little better with the B&G springs...
      "If you can't find one, make one"

Vehicles
      07-25-2019 03:31 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by de80q View Post
      The swap can pretty easily be done. I know of a couple B3's with both 1.8t's installed. You will have to make mount arms for it though. If you don't want to make them yourself, I can put you in touch with someone who makes very nice stuff for these cars.

5 lug is pretty easy. You just need 4 B5 rear flanges. The brakes, you will have to sort out yourself.

As for the suspension, that's a little harder. Of course you have your normal springs. H&R, B&G, and weitec. There is also the K&W coilover kit. For that, I think you are looking around $1800, I could be off on the price... There is also the DIY coilover setup. A lot cheaper, but more labor intensive. If you go to motorgeek.com or theprojectpad.com you can look up this setup.

As for Interchangeable parts... The 89-92 80/90 are the same car. Be carful though, the late 90 came with the 20v, and bigger front brakes and knuckles. As for the CQ, they are generally the same, but because the rear weighs more, the suspension is stiffer.

I'm currently running a complete weitec suspension kit for a CQ on my 91 80q, and love it. It's a 45mm drop on the coupe, but on the sedan the rear only dropped about 35mm. Really helped me from scrubbing my tires like I did with the B&G springs I had on previously. Although, it did look a little better with the B&G springs...
      Wasn't planning on coilovers, kinda like how spring/strut combos ride better than coilovers, much more comfortable. As for mounts it seems pretty straight forward to make or those can be bought out of a B4 1.8 NA cabriolet from EU right?

I'm assuming axle splines are the same on the B5 and the B3. Good to know about the 20v differences though.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      08-23-2019 12:16 PM #4
      Found a donor car a few weeks ago, posted up a part out ad on a few different outlets, guy that owned the car for years messaged me I inquired about the maintenance and he said the engine was meticulously maintained by his uncle who's a Audi master tech so that's good 😁

Vehicles
      08-23-2019 12:20 PM #5
      I found some MK3 lowering springs awhile ago and ended up getting them cheap, been reading about some Frankenstein suspension builds and or strut spring combo setups, I know MK3/2 suspension bits are basically identical. But do they basically drop in a B3?

Vehicles
      10-09-2019 09:00 AM #6
      Been pulling this A4 apart slowly, the AEB is out and on an stand to be cleaned and resealed. Plan to get a cartridge for the KO4 and keep using it, probably need injectors and other things with a tune at some point I imagine.

MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      10-28-2019 05:10 PM #7
      Been researching a 4x108 to 5x112 conversion and I think I've got the information I need, B5 A4 rear hubs and brakes with new bearings, and the front will be a Frankenstein setup with URS4 front hubs and new bearings, B4 redrilled rotors, G60 front calipers. That's the plan anyway

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what Single mass flywheel to buy, the 1.8T had a brand new 6 puck 228mm clutch on it, the DMF needs to go. Can't really find any part numbers for the SMF by itself, and which flywheel will work in the B3 transmission.

Vehicles
      '91 80 Quattro
      10-28-2019 05:25 PM #8
      You have an 80q, so you have 75mm wheel bearings on all 4 corners. Like I said in my first reply, you need to use 4 A4 rear flanges and bearings. The UrS part of the 5 lug conversion is only for 90q 20v, coupe Quattro, and B4q with the 82mm front wheels bearings.

As for the flywheel, get anyone that is listed for the A4. The A4 used the same 01A code transmission. My friend used the RA4 setup from ecs on his.
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...BoCQ3AQAvD_BwE

Vehicles
      10-28-2019 10:42 PM #9
      You have an 80q, so you have 75mm wheel bearings on all 4 corners. Like I said in my first reply, you need to use 4 A4 rear flanges and bearings. The UrS part of the 5 lug conversion is only for 90q 20v, coupe Quattro, and B4q with the 82mm front wheels bearings.

As for the flywheel, get anyone that is listed for the A4. The A4 used the same 01A code transmission. My friend used the RA4 setup from ecs on his.
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...BoCQ3AQAvD_BwE
      Forgot to mention the B4 Knuckles as well. Thanks for the reminder. And the new bearings were the corresponding ones to the knuckles/flanges, I didn't specify..

Flywheel 👍 that's some info I've been searching for.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      '91 80 Quattro
      10-31-2019 04:21 AM #10
      If you are using B4 knuckles, you will also need the B4 strut tubes. They are the same except for the bolt size that holds the housing to the knuckle. I think B3 is 12mm and B4 is 14mm. If you are really careful, you can open the holes on the B3 housing to the correct size. I say really careful because if the bolts don't fit correctly you can throw out the alignment.

Vehicles
      11-07-2019 01:01 AM #11
      If you are using B4 knuckles, you will also need the B4 strut tubes. They are the same except for the bolt size that holds the housing to the knuckle. I think B3 is 12mm and B4 is 14mm. If you are really careful, you can open the holes on the B3 housing to the correct size. I say really careful because if the bolts don't fit correctly you can throw out the alignment.
      That is the plan, is to open them up, alignment is going to be off anyway, going to throw in lowering springs at some point before it is road worthy.. but I know what you mean if they are not drilled properly it could throw some things off.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      11-07-2019 01:05 AM #12
      Been slowly gathering parts, pulled some B4 Knuckles from a car at pick n pull this last weekend. Did some things to the 1.8T the last few days too, pressure washed it last night, and started tearing it down for the timing belt and cam chain tensioner replacement.

Pics definitely not in order..
      Last edited by andymccauley; 11-07-2019 at 01:11 AM.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      12-19-2019 11:32 PM #13
      Some of these pics might be dupes from the last post, was trying to figure out what route I wanted to go with for the timing belt tensioner. Ended up with a ABA stud and a 16v tensioner, replaced the cam chain tensioner, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and tube seals, all the shaft seals, water pump/housing O-ring, coolant flange, and crank bolt.

Stopped at reinstalling the read main seal, installing the 14lb LW flywheel, and the 6 puck clutch that came on the 1.8T when pulled.

Last edited by andymccauley; 12-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      12-24-2019 12:47 PM #14
      Installed the rear main seal assembly, lightweight single mass XTD eBay flywheel, and reinstalled the what I believe to be a stage 3 6 puck unsprung clutch disc/pressure plate that was basically brand new and on the 1.8T when I pulled it out of the A4. The flywheel came with 10.9 grade bolts, wasn't sure what to torque them too, went to 65ft/lbs and called it good.

I'll be pulling 5 cylinder 2.3l out soon, removing everything from the bay to pressure wash, ordered a steering rack reseal kit and by the time that gets here I'll probably have some tirerods and rack bellows on the way.

Once the 1.8T is bolted up to the bell housing I'll be measuring and building motor mounts, figuring out power steering, and AC at some point.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      01-02-2020 12:52 PM #15
      Started pulling the 5 cylinder yesterday, didn't get much done, but pulled the front end off and both the radiators out. Wanted to get a video of it running before it was out and of course the battery was dead so just waited around most of the day.

Vehicles
      01-09-2020 10:44 PM #16
      Well the 2.3 NG is out (and for sale)! Wasn't nearly as bad I thought it was going to be. Picked up an engine cover off a B6 at Pick n Pull. When I was pulling the manifolds off the 1.8t the turbo had 2/3 bolts that were kinda eh, well I had to snap the head off one too get the turbo off. Got a good hotside after snapping 3-4 bolts off on Passats in the yard. I found the B6 I got the engine cover from.Â*

Got a new eBay K03 turbo cartridge which I just installed. After posting up on a Facebook page going a few good references and build threads to look through. Which led me to German eBay and hopefully ordering the engine mounts I need. We'll see when they get here, by that time I should have everything prepped unless it snows and freezes for weeks...

Vehicles
      01-20-2020 12:41 AM #17
      Took over a month but got a steering rack rebuild kit off eBay, started pulling the rack a few of those bolts are a pia to remove. After everything was removed and loose in the engine bay, took apart the steering column and found out how the ignition switch was rewired... So some repair is needed to the ignition switch loom.

Today I went to pull parts from a 1987 90 Quattro at pick n pull, got some practice pulling the engine harness, swooped the ignition switch pigtail and switch itself, took the rear diff locking ECM, hopefully pulled the correct pigtails from the engine harness I can wire the B5 harness too.

While waiting on parts, the plan is to rebuild the rack and clean the engine bay. Possibly get some Bentley manuals on order. I'm sure the motor will be in soon and wiring will be the final step.

MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      02-08-2020 12:17 AM #18
      Found some more info on this swap the last month, the battery tray either needs to be cut out or trimmed and a smaller battery used. I went with the cutting route, as the cylinder head will hit the battery tray. Battery will go in the trunk, been slowly gathering things to make a relocation kit.

Ordered motor mounts from German eBay, have only gotten 1 so far. Will confirm part numbers when I install and fit them. Need to also relocate the brake booster port which will happen soon as well.

Chose not to completely cut the tray out and I didn't really want to fill in the spot welds after drilling them out.

MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      03-28-2020 09:19 PM #19
      Chased a steering rack rebuild kit for awhile, ordered one off eBay, and one from summit that was the 8756 Edleman rebuild kit. Both had some seals that seemed to work but not all of them, none of the o-rings seamed quite perfect and neither had the right input shaft seal for the steering column. So wasted about $150 on rebuild kits that didn't work.*

Called around to get prices for remand racks, NAPA does not stock them but if you wait a month they may be able to rebuild it. Ended up ordering a rack off Rockauto hopefully it's the right one.

The bay is pretty well cleaned up, dash is pulled and started pulling the HVAC box to remove the ECU loom. Haven't done much since the whole steering rack issue has been happening.*
      Last edited by andymccauley; 03-29-2020 at 09:45 AM.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      '91 80 Quattro
      05-07-2020 12:02 PM #20
      What's the condition of the aux radiator? Do you plan to try and reuse it with the swap? If not, would you want to sell it?

Vehicles
      07-25-2020 12:27 PM #21
      What's the condition of the aux radiator? Do you plan to try and reuse it with the swap? If not, would you want to sell it?
      It didn't look great, kinda rotted, it's in my scrap pile. Idk if I'd wanna go through the trouble of shipping it.
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙

Vehicles
      07-25-2020 12:33 PM #22
      Haven't posted anything in awhile, fabbed up a passenger motor mount, cut the clutch fan mount so that it's just only a pulley now, was originally going to use the A4 radiator but didn't really like the fitment. Read a few things about using a VR6 MK3 radiator and I just happened to have a cracked one laying around for mock up. Still need to order a new one, it seems the cheapest option is an all aluminum eBay radiator, cheaper then any plastic tanks I've found online. Going to start wiring it soon, labeled everything in the 1.8t harness needed, the Bentley I ordered for the B3 didn't have any wiring diagrams... And now vortex won't accept the links from my image host 🤷🏼🤔 pretty cool
      MK1s n swaps 😃🤙