VWVortex.com - Oil Cooler filter interval and use?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Oil Cooler filter interval and use?

Vehicles
      04 996TT, 04 A4 USP, 88 911 Targa, 96 911 Convertible, 05 Boxster S
      07-22-2019 08:25 AM #1
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racingli...vwr18g700~vwr/

Hey guys,

I am going to be getting an S3 in a new weeks. Just need to sell my existing pile of junk 1st.

Anyways, I will be dailying year round and doing a few track days with the car here and there. I figure an oil cooler is a great place to start to keep oil temps down since it gets very hot in my area and then that is exacerbated by the hot track itself! Yay asphalt!

Anyways, how often do people change the filters on this setup? How many people run it? How awesome or not awesome is it?
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      07-22-2019 11:27 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Yak Meat View Post
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racingli...vwr18g700~vwr/

Hey guys,

I am going to be getting an S3 in a new weeks. Just need to sell my existing pile of junk 1st.

Anyways, I will be dailying year round and doing a few track days with the car here and there. I figure an oil cooler is a great place to start to keep oil temps down since it gets very hot in my area and then that is exacerbated by the hot track itself! Yay asphalt!

Anyways, how often do people change the filters on this setup? How many people run it? How awesome or not awesome is it?
      Racing line still suggests replacing the filter with every oil change, same as OEM oil filter. This what turned me off from the kit, needing to buy a $50 oil filter every 5k miles or so. If the metal filter lasted through multiple oil changes, I would consider the kit for sure as it looks real nice.

Vehicles
      04 996TT, 04 A4 USP, 88 911 Targa, 96 911 Convertible, 05 Boxster S
      07-22-2019 11:34 AM #3
      I did not know it was every oil change. That seems excessive. If it was every other or whatever it wouldnt be too bad... but every time is a little over the top. I may go for it anyways and change it every other.

With FCP euros oil return, my oil changes essentially become free after the 1st 2. So spending the 50 on that filter isnt that big a deal anymore...

Anyone have it installed so I can see where it mounts?
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      07-22-2019 12:15 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Yak Meat View Post
      I did not know it was every oil change. That seems excessive. If it was every other or whatever it wouldnt be too bad... but every time is a little over the top. I may go for it anyways and change it every other.

With FCP euros oil return, my oil changes essentially become free after the 1st 2. So spending the 50 on that filter isnt that big a deal anymore...

Anyone have it installed so I can see where it mounts?
      Check ctwalter2015? Build thread. He has it installed. I would also think you can get away with changing the filter every other oil change, assume it’s a liability thing on racing lines end of business and would be on you if you ran into any issues and did not change the filter at the recommended intervals. Not sure what issues could arise from that though.

7. Member
      07-22-2019 03:24 PM #5
      Keep in mind the oil you use helps a lot. Motul runs about 8 degrees cooler than Castrol with same weight and same weather conditions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      16 R DSG DCC NAV
      07-23-2019 10:12 AM #6
      Has anyone come up with an alternate filter such as a mobil 1 or K&N that will fit this setup???