Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Lift or lowered

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019/VW/Tiguan R-Line 4 Motion
      07-22-2019 01:10 PM #1
      I'm debating if I want to lower or lift my car,I enjoy driving thru the canyons but also enjoy going on light off road trails. Is there a coil over system that will let me rise and lower lower my clearance?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-22-2019 04:19 PM #2
      should have made this a poll :-)

Lift it
      2018 GTI SE DSG
      2018 Tiguan SEL PREM, R-Line, 7 Pass (aka JJ)
      2004 Volvo XC70 (aka Eleanor)

Vehicles
      GTI
      07-22-2019 04:43 PM #3
      No coil over has enough shock body length to have enough threads to do what you want. Also the spring rate is different for off road compared to canyon carving.

You want an air suspension. But I'm not sure anyone makes an air suspension for the MQB with that range of travel. And even then you won't achieve the best of both.

Pick one of the other you will never get both.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 06:15 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by christophe15 View Post
      should have made this a poll :-)

Lift it
      I want both, there's a custom coilover company that might be able to do both, I've used them before when I had my X5 they were able to give me a 1..25" lift and a 2.75" drop. They have the coil over for a 2017+ MK2 tiguan not sure if that the same as the MQB. I emailed them hopefully hear back soon.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MK7.5 Alltrack S, MK2 Tiguan 4MO
      07-22-2019 07:44 PM #5
      So with a setup where you intend on lifting and lowering on a whim, I assume you go get an alignment after each adjustment, yes? That adds up and seems burdensome. (I guess you could get a Firestone lifetime alignment and hope they don’t flag you for multiple setups.)

I would think you could get something sufficient for both duties (obviously not the very best at both) by finding a happy medium for height and spring rate, with ample travel and comp/rebound for those rates, and then modifying the setup by swapping wheel/tire setups and supplementing roll on the canyon setup with stiff anti-sway bars.

A grippy tire and light wheel with responsive shocks, dialed-in alignment, and sways to control roll would be great in the canyons.

A (+) sized tire and (-) sized wheel would allow you to air down and use a nice A/T tire to off-road with, in addition to gaining some height. Disconnect/removal of sway bars on some vehicles will improve articulation, but that is dependent somewhat on suspension travel and what actually limits its movement.

I’m not an MQB expert so don’t know exactly what options there are or specifically what the limitations of this system are, just putting out my thoughts as a fellow on and off-road enthusiast with experience building both (on way different platforms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Golf Alltrack S - Pure White/Marrakesh
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Pano - Pure White/Storm Grey

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 08:54 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C. View Post
      So with a setup where you intend on lifting and lowering on a whim, I assume you go get an alignment after each adjustment, yes? That adds up and seems burdensome. (I guess you could get a Firestone lifetime alignment and hope they don’t flag you for multiple setups.)

I would think you could get something sufficient for both duties (obviously not the very best at both) by finding a happy medium for height and spring rate, with ample travel and comp/rebound for those rates, and then modifying the setup by swapping wheel/tire setups and supplementing roll on the canyon setup with stiff anti-sway bars.

A grippy tire and light wheel with responsive shocks, dialed-in alignment, and sways to control roll would be great in the canyons.

A (+) sized tire and (-) sized wheel would allow you to air down and use a nice A/T tire to off-road with, in addition to gaining some height. Disconnect/removal of sway bars on some vehicles will improve articulation, but that is dependent somewhat on suspension travel and what actually limits its movement.

I’m not an MQB expert so don’t know exactly what options there are or specifically what the limitations of this system are, just putting out my thoughts as a fellow on and off-road enthusiast with experience building both (on way different platforms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I was thinking more like Summer (3 months) lowered and fall winter lifted.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-23-2019 11:16 AM #7
      I think I'm going to lift it, as much as i like driving canyons i rather go on trail rides.

10. 07-28-2019 11:03 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Rtdave87 View Post
      I'm debating if I want to lower or lift my car,I enjoy driving thru the canyons but also enjoy going on light off road trails. Is there a coil over system that will let me rise and lower lower my clearance?

I definitely want a lift. This thing is not a sports car and I have a vehicle that's much more fun to drive the curvy mountain roads with ('04 TDI Golf with aftermarket turbo and tune). The Tig will eventually get a 1"-2" lift which will make me feel more secure off road by allowing for better approach/depart/break-over angles.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-07-2019 12:32 PM #9
      Update: after several messages back and forth with a Ceika Coilover rep I think they can do a 1.25" lift kit coilover system in addition to the leveling blocks, This should give me around a 2.5" lift.