Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R to Tesla M3

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '50 Chrysler semi-automatic, ..., '06 WRX, '08 Forester XT MT +mods, '18 R DSG
      07-22-2019 04:37 PM #1
      Seriously considering moving to a Tesla Model 3. I love the R but had always planned to keep it less than 2 years, leaving 4+ years on the warranty, and get an EV. I had planned to wait for the Model Y or the Polestar 2 but am now convinced the Model 3 trunk is acceptable despite not being a hatch or wagon. I drove the Model 3 once so far and the acceleration and throttle response is intoxicating.

Ad for the 2018 R now posted in the Golf R (VII) Classifieds, including picture. Excellent condition with two sets of wheels and tires and a spare.

Interestingly, the Tesla, despite being considerably larger, has a slightly poorer driver layout for me. I'm 6'7" and my feet are slightly higher in the Tesla and it feels a little narrower. The wheel comes out further (good) but the seat depth is slightly reduced (not good). Overall, I believe it will be acceptable (and better than most cars I have driven) but still need to try an overnight loan to be sure. Oh, and because there is no 3 pedal version, I can't stretch my left leg out where the clutch would have been. Lots of other differences as well, of course.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC Nav+, 2019 Alas SEL-P
      07-22-2019 06:07 PM #2
      You can search for WilliamGs thread,he made the same move....

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      07-22-2019 06:35 PM #3
      Understandable move.

I'm waiting for someone to make a better EV before moving on from the R. I want something better than the Model3 performance... something with better than .90g on the skidpad...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      19 Canyon Denali
      07-22-2019 09:02 PM #4
      I keep staring at the aero front bumper cover. Looks like a duck bill to me. Guess you don't see it while ripping sub 3 second to sixty runs though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Member
      07-22-2019 09:49 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by pnwbrdr View Post
      Understandable move.

I'm waiting for someone to make a better EV before moving on from the R. I want something better than the Model3 performance... something with better than .90g on the skidpad...
      The Model3 has all the right numbers, but it is has no personality to drive. It's like when the ICE manufactures started replacing mechanical parts with electrical and you were left with a numb driving experience. After driving the Model3, my wife (who was / is a huge Tesla fan) and I want version 2.0...but I doubt Tesla will invest in giving the car any real joy to drive

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      07-22-2019 10:08 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by airpor41 View Post
      Seriously considering moving to a Tesla Model 3. I love the R but had always planned to keep it less than 2 years, leaving 4+ years on the warranty, and get an EV. I had planned to wait for the Model Y or the Polestar 2 but am now convinced the Model 3 trunk is acceptable despite not being a hatch or wagon. I drove the Model 3 once so far and the acceleration and throttle response is intoxicating.

Ad for the 2018 R now posted in the Golf R (VII) Classifieds, including picture. Excellent condition with two sets of wheels and tires and a spare.

Interestingly, the Tesla, despite being considerably larger, has a slightly poorer driver layout for me. I'm 6'7" and my feet are slightly higher in the Tesla and it feels a little narrower. The wheel comes out further (good) but the seat depth is slightly reduced (not good). Overall, I believe it will be acceptable (and better than most cars I have driven) but still need to try an overnight loan to be sure. Oh, and because there is no 3 pedal version, I can't stretch my left leg out where the clutch would have been. Lots of other differences as well, of course.
      It's amazing. Go test-drive one. My experience is with the Performance 3, which is nothing short of extraordinary. If you're ever in the Seattle area and want to chat/meet up, hit me up.

PS Looks like I've taken a similar route to you with cars. 2003 WRX, 2008 STI, 2010 STI (long story, - don't ask), 2016 Golf R, 2019 Model 3 Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyg View Post
      You can search for WilliamGs thread,he made the same move....
      Did someone say my name?!

Quote Originally Posted by pnwbrdr View Post
      Understandable move.

Well, you should get a Model 3 Performance, then. 0.95g on the skidpad.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-acceleration/

Quote Originally Posted by NJMKIV View Post
      I keep staring at the aero front bumper cover. Looks like a duck bill to me. Guess you don't see it while ripping sub 3 second to sixty runs though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My friend told me he thinks it looks like it's dented, which is a new one to me. Then he drove mine and won't shut up about needing to buy one and how to afford it. Go figure, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_H View Post
      The Model3 has all the right numbers, but it is has no personality to drive. It's like when the ICE manufactures started replacing mechanical parts with electrical and you were left with a numb driving experience. After driving the Model3, my wife (who was / is a huge Tesla fan) and I want version 2.0...but I doubt Tesla will invest in giving the car any real joy to drive
      I don't think it has no personality to drive. I actually find it really, really fun to drive (as do many publications). There's no waiting around when you floor it, and it's fun to do that ALL the time with no worry about warming the car up, hurting a transmission, or that feeling of jerky downshifts. I think people miss the ROAR of the engine, and the smoking of the tires etc etc. The Model 3 Performance makes the most glorious electric sound under full acceleration. It makes me laugh at just how futuristic it sounds.

Honestly, I went into my (overnight) test-drive expecting to be completely MEH about the whole thing. After all, with a Golf R with only 20k miles on it, I really did not want to have to afford a new car so soon after purchase. But there you go. I will never, ever buy a gas-powered car again.

That said, every time I see a Golf R it makes me smile, but at the same time I don't miss it one bit - or any other car I've ever owned.

I think everyone should drive a Model 3, even if you've no interest in purchasing a new car. But... make sure you have some money in your bank account, - you know, just in case...

07-22-2019 10:15 PM #7
      I find the Model 3 to be very ugly from the front. It looks like an amphibious vehicle....with a duck-bill front bumper. Maybe some people like that, I guess they must b/c they seem to be selling a lot of them.

To me Ev's take away too much of the freedom of driving. That may change in the next decade but I think we are a long ways off. If you just used your 3 as a short commuter then had another car for road trips and real driving I suppose it could work out.
      2019 Golf R Indium Grey 6MT / 2019 Ford Raptor / 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Polestar / 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 - Track only
      Prior Cars of Note - 1983 VW Rabbit GTI, 2013 Volvo C70, 2004 Volvo V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, A Bunch of Saabs

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R | Lapiz Blue | DSG | DCC & Nav
      07-22-2019 10:15 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
      It's amazing. Go test-drive one. My experience is with the Performance 3, which is nothing short of extraordinary. If you're ever in the Seattle area and want to chat/meet up, hit me up.

PS Looks like I've taken a similar route to you with cars. 2003 WRX, 2008 STI, 2010 STI (long story, - don't ask), 2016 Golf R, 2019 Model 3 Performance.

Did someone say my name?!

Well, you should get a Model 3 Performance, then. 0.95g on the skidpad.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-acceleration/

My friend told me he thinks it looks like it's dented, which is a new one to me. Then he drove mine and won't shut up about needing to buy one and how to afford it. Go figure, right?

I don't think it has no personality to drive. I actually find it really, really fun to drive (as do many publications). There's no waiting around when you floor it, and it's fun to do that ALL the time with no worry about warming the car up, hurting a transmission, or that feeling of jerky downshifts. I think people miss the ROAR of the engine, and the smoking of the tires etc etc. The Model 3 Performance makes the most glorious electric sound under full acceleration. It makes me laugh at just how futuristic it sounds.

Honestly, I went into my (overnight) test-drive expecting to be completely MEH about the whole thing. After all, with a Golf R with only 20k miles on it, I really did not want to have to afford a new car so soon after purchase. But there you go. I will never, ever buy a gas-powered car again.

That said, every time I see a Golf R it makes me smile, but at the same time I don't miss it one bit - or any other car I've ever owned.

I think everyone should drive a Model 3, even if you've no interest in purchasing a new car. But... make sure you have some money in your bank account, - you know, just in case...
      I'm not in the market for another car (just traded in '16 R for '18 R last year), but it's hard to argue against those points hah.
      2018 Mk7.5 Golf R | Lapiz Blue | DSG | DCC & NAV
      2016 Mk7 Golf R | Lapiz Blue | DSG | DCC & NAV
      2010 Jetta MKV 2.5 | Salsa Red | Limited Edition

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 10:23 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Elmfur View Post
      I'm not in the market for another car (just traded in '16 R for '18 R last year), but it's hard to argue against those points hah.
      You're a fellow Seattleite! If you fancy a spin, let me know.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 10:24 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
      I find the Model 3 to be very ugly from the front. It looks like an amphibious vehicle....with a duck-bill front bumper. Maybe some people like that, I guess they must b/c they seem to be selling a lot of them.

To me Ev's take away too much of the freedom of driving. That may change in the next decade but I think we are a long ways off. If you just used your 3 as a short commuter then had another car for road trips and real driving I suppose it could work out.
      Blah, you make it sounds like the Golf R is a particularly attractive car. It looks like... a Golf. It looks... fine? I mean how excited do people get when they see a Golf on the street? I mean sure, you love your car (as I did my Golf R), but I never once thought dayum that car is a looker! Anyway, let's get back to the somewhat objective and stay away from the truly subjective.

EV's don't take away too much of the freedom of driving. You just get given more options in terms of how you want to drive. Want to drive yourself? Want the car to drive for you? Both options are available.

Again, go drive one. Then see how you feel.
      Last edited by WilliamG; 07-22-2019 at 10:27 PM.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      07-22-2019 10:53 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
      Blah, you make it sounds like the Golf R is a particularly attractive car. It looks like... a Golf. It looks... fine? I mean how excited do people get when they see a Golf on the street? I mean sure, you love your car (as I did my Golf R), but I never once thought dayum that car is a looker! Anyway, let's get back to the somewhat objective and stay away from the truly subjective.

EV's don't take away too much of the freedom of driving. You just get given more options in terms of how you want to drive. Want to drive yourself? Want the car to drive for you? Both options are available.

Again, go drive one. Then see how you feel.
      I just traded my very modded ‘16 S4 for my ‘19 R. It was purely that I was bored and wanted something more fun to drive. The S4 was great, but I never liked the linearity of the SC motor. It was also super heavy and you felt every pound of it. Golf R is way more fun to drive, which is what I was after. People have been looking at me sideways when I explain this to them, but as a car guy I just love experiencing all different kinds of cars and brand/refinement mean less to me than the smiles per gallon you get when in it for hours every day.

The model 3 was on my short list, but honestly wasn’t ready for an EV. It’s 100% my next car when I’m bored with the R, probably 1-2 years lol. Hopefully by that time the 2.0 will be out or the famed model y? Would absolutely love an electric SUV, but the model x is just not my style at all. I can live with the current 3 design, but that X.... It’s too much superfluous design and way too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2019 11:12 PM #12
      I am an engineer now retired. The appearance of my vehicle is way down the list of what I am looking for. Even if it was important to me, I have long since reached the understanding that my idea of "good looking car" is generally not the current norm. For example, I loathe giant wheels. The first thing I did to my R is to put the cartoon wheels in storage. Even then, my action was primarily due to the fact that I live out in the country and drive roads full of bumps and holes.

The thing that has kept me from a Model 3 to date is primarily the fact that it is not a hatchback or wagon. That's why I had a WRX sedan for well under 2 years -- sedans are just not useful enough. Upon close examination I have managed to convince myself that the M3 is more useful back there than other sedans.

Here are a few points not made above:

Tesla new car evaluation: 15 minute test drive so far in exactly the model I am planning to buy. Soon an overnight loan before purchase -- first time that has ever happened to me. And, no questions return for a week after I buy it.

VW new car evaluation: 5 minutes in a used GTI -- no way to even see an R before purchase but I understood that going in.

Tesla user manual: Available online for study by anyone.

VW user manual: Unavailable until after I purchased -- nothing on-line. This, more than almost anything, irritated me. I actual read and study the effing manual. Lack of on-line manuals is a joke.

Tesla Model 3 physical usefulness: Decent, good for a sedan, but not spectacular given it's size. i.e. not a hatch or wagon

VW Golf physical usefulness: Superb, amazing for it's size.
      Last edited by airpor41; 07-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG DBP
      07-22-2019 11:53 PM #13
      Since no one else seems to mention it, Tesla as a brand seems to have a lot of vehement fanboys. Basically, Daddy Musk can do no wrong sort of deal. It's good that Tesla is promoting electric cars as something more than econoboxes without a combustion engine, but the QC and things like that are really just not there and the cars cost a premium. Tesla isn't really that concerned about improving that since they're busy planning to land a person on Mars and whatever other absurd goal Musk schemes up. I'll echo the sentiments of some others, every time I see a Model 3 I "appreciate" it much like a Nissan Leaf. It looks like you'd expect an electric car to look: quirky, dorky, and a bit strange. The Model S actually looks more like an upscale vehicle and less like some strange electric car. I'm not sure how people find the Model 3 an appealing looking car, as that's one of its lowest points.

I enjoy engine sounds far far too much to give them up. As a second car, maybe as I could see it being peaceful. But I enjoy the music produced by gas engines too much, a W204 C63 AMG, the RS3's 5 cylinder, the 4.0 flat six in the Porsche GT3 RS are all things that would make me find excuses for driving everywhere just for the noise. It might not matter as much to some, but it will always be significant to me. If it wasn't, I might have ended up in a Civic Type R - but that vacuum cleaner sound it makes is just awful, the styling didn't help, and FWD only sealed its fate.

Personally I enjoy a sleeper car, and Teslas are the opposite of that if in a less spectacular way than some other showy cars are. The Golf is a handsome car but not too over the top in any regard, which is exactly what appealed to me. The Focus RS was a fun drive, but its boy racer styling and hoon over all else attitude put me off it. Teslas remind me of when the Prius with that egg shape was new and people were really curious when they first saw them (before everyone made them the butt of every joke). People like Model 3's right now because they're new and different, but not really because they genuinely look appealing. As the newness wears off, people will get over their honeymoon period of thinking they don't look that bad for the price they cost and what you get.

Also OP, I don't know how you weren't able to get a test drive in an R. I'm young and literally called up a dealer who just got them in, said I wanted to look at it, and test drove what is my R with the seats still wrapped in plastic. I didn't talk money, I don't know anyone at the dealer, I asked and they did like for any other car I've looked at and took a copy of the license and hopped in the back. I found a used '17 and had no issues test driving that one either and it had rather low miles, only around 8k. The only "you can't drive it" type deals I had was an idiotic Dodge dealer that had a 997.2 911 S for $38k that they thought was such a "hot rod" you had to put money down to test drive it...I told them to pound sand. Apparently that's standard policy at Dodge dealers, probably all that dumb burnout nonsense they advertise in their commercials.
      Last edited by EvilR; 07-23-2019 at 12:28 AM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      07-23-2019 12:30 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by EvilR View Post
      Since no one else seems to mention it, Tesla as a brand seems to have a lot of vehement fanboys. Basically, Daddy Musk can do no wrong sort of deal.
      Fair enough but you omit the fact that there are a lot of the opposite too -- people who are against Tesla and often against anything Musk does. Often they provide misinformation or just don't understand what Tesla is doing much less what they are trying to do. Tesla probably has more US-built content than virtually any other vehicle and, yet, lots of people make a point of being negative about this American company. I don't get it.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2016 Acura RDX, 2011 Mustang 5.0 Convertible
      07-23-2019 12:49 AM #15
      I just traded my 2017 golf R in for a new Model 3 Performance last month. While I loved the Golf and really had no intention of trading for a new car, I made the mistake of going to a Electric car test drive event sponsored by the power company while visiting Las Vegas. I had never driven a electric car before and had some of the same reservations about them that some of you have mentioned. I chose to drive a Model 3 at the event and all I can say is it was a transformative event. I knew after the test drive that it would be my next car. The next day I went to the Tesla dealer and before I left I had ordered a blue performance model 3, the same color as my R.
      My R was APR stage 1 and it ran like a bat out of hell but the Model 3 just blows it right out of the water. And the power is instant and effortless. I honestly did not know such a car exist. And it's not just the acceleration but the way the car drives and handles. And the technology in the car is amazing from the autopilot, the operation from your phone, software updates, sentry, 300 mile range, supercharger network, etc. All Just amazing.
      I do agree the front end is not particularly attractive, but the rest of the car is very attractive to me. My biggest complaint is not about the car but about Tesla's overwhelmed logistics & dealer network. It's almost impossible to get anyone on the phone at Tesla. But let's face it, VW's dealer network was not the best in the world either.
      It's funny but I think I was the only one in my town that had a R and now I think I'm the only one in town to have a Model 3 too.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt
      07-23-2019 01:00 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by EvilR View Post
      Since no one else seems to mention it, Tesla as a brand seems to have a lot of vehement fanboys. Basically, Daddy Musk can do no wrong sort of deal. It's good that Tesla is promoting electric cars as something more than econoboxes without a combustion engine, but the QC and things like that are really just not there and the cars cost a premium. Tesla isn't really that concerned about improving that since they're busy planning to land a person on Mars and whatever other absurd goal Musk schemes up. I'll echo the sentiments of some others, every time I see a Model 3 I "appreciate" it much like a Nissan Leaf. It looks like you'd expect an electric car to look: quirky, dorky, and a bit strange. The Model S actually looks more like an upscale vehicle and less like some strange electric car. I'm not sure how people find the Model 3 an appealing looking car, as that's one of its lowest points.

I enjoy engine sounds far far too much to give them up. As a second car, maybe as I could see it being peaceful. But I enjoy the music produced by gas engines too much, a W204 C63 AMG, the RS3's 5 cylinder, the 4.0 flat six in the Porsche GT3 RS are all things that would make me find excuses for driving everywhere just for the noise. It might not matter as much to some, but it will always be significant to me. If it wasn't, I might have ended up in a Civic Type R - but that vacuum cleaner sound it makes is just awful, the styling didn't help, and FWD only sealed its fate.

Personally I enjoy a sleeper car, and Teslas are the opposite of that if in a less spectacular way than some other showy cars are. The Golf is a handsome car but not too over the top in any regard, which is exactly what appealed to me. The Focus RS was a fun drive, but its boy racer styling and hoon over all else attitude put me off it. Teslas remind me of when the Prius with that egg shape was new and people were really curious when they first saw them (before everyone made them the butt of every joke). People like Model 3's right now because they're new and different, but not really because they genuinely look appealing. As the newness wears off, people will get over their honeymoon period of thinking they don't look that bad for the price they cost and what you get.

Also OP, I don't know how you weren't able to get a test drive in an R. I'm young and literally called up a dealer who just got them in, said I wanted to look at it, and test drove what is my R with the seats still wrapped in plastic. I didn't talk money, I don't know anyone at the dealer, I asked and they did like for any other car I've looked at and took a copy of the license and hopped in the back. I found a used '17 and had no issues test driving that one either and it had rather low miles, only around 8k. The only "you can't drive it" type deals I had was an idiotic Dodge dealer that had a 997.2 911 S for $38k that they thought was such a "hot rod" you had to put money down to test drive it...I told them to pound sand. Apparently that's standard policy at Dodge dealers, probably all that dumb burnout nonsense they advertise in their commercials.

You like engine noise but drive the Golf R which has some of the worst examples of faked engine noise piped in that sounds nothing like the actual engine?

Also a Model 3 performance is the literal definition of a sleeper. It looks like an egg but will dust almost every car off the line, not to mention passing power.

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R, 2018 Passat GT & 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      07-23-2019 05:00 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      You like engine noise but drive the Golf R which has some of the worst examples of faked engine noise piped in that sounds nothing like the actual engine?

Also a Model 3 performance is the literal definition of a sleeper. It looks like an egg but will dust almost every car off the line, not to mention passing power.
      Any Tesla today is known to be fast; therefore, it is not a sleeper. The Golf sounds OK with a RES delete and soundaktor turned down. It sounds like a turbo 4, which is better than a Tesla sounds, no???
      RIP: 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed 3 dr hatchback, 1995 VW Jetta GL 6 speed, 1997 Jetta GLS 5 Speed, 1999 Ford Escort Wagon, 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon, 2011 Audi A4, 2012 Ford Focus SEL, 2013 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Navigation, Twin Reflex Silver Metallic 2015 GLI's (SEL & SE)

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      07-23-2019 07:50 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ccbulldog View Post
      300 mile range
      Well, it took 15 posts for the 'r' word to come up. For many people that 300 miles number, especially when you allow a safety factor and discount it for reduced low temperature performance, would be a problem.

Neil

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      07-23-2019 08:33 AM #19
      My friend got a Model 3 (non performance) around the same i got my R; he actually got one of the first ones in Toronto. Completely loves it and i admit the instant torque is very intoxicating.

It's a very personal preference thing and i don't think you would regret getting one at all. I was disappointed at the interior, i thought the R was significantly nicer. Obviously there's no match in the technology stand point. I didn't like the tablet, but my friend said after a week it feels fine.

Biggest disappointment honestly was the quality control. I'm not even talking panel gaps, his car was literally delivered with a rear bumper that was a different shade. Had to be repainted (in the shop for a few days). Fan/AC issues, they couldn't figure it out so they just replaced all the parts related to the problem until the issue went away (again in the shop for a few days). Passenger seat rattled like crazy, they couldn't figure it out so they replaced the whole seat (again in the shop a few days). All these parts took weeks to arrive due to supply issues. He's a HUGE Tesla fanboy and he was even getting pissed. After those initial issues were fixed the cars been problem free and he loves it.

I think the Golf R will be my last ICE car, but i'm hoping the rest of the manufacturers make more compelling electric cars.

Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post

Fake sound is easily disabled and compared to the other brands i think the piped in Golf noise is actually one of more subtle/nicely done ones.

A Tesla is the opposite of a sleeper, everyone knows they're stupid fast 0-60 and they look "like a Tesla" so there's no hiding. The Golf R looks like a normal Golf so its much more of a sleeper unless you know cars. Any non-car person knows a Tesla's fast/futuristic.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT; 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 5MT
      07-23-2019 08:39 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      Well, it took 15 posts for the 'r' word to come up. For many people that 300 miles number, especially when you allow a safety factor and discount it for reduced low temperature performance, would be a problem.

Neil
      Agreed. I can barely approach 400 miles per tank with a loaded car on long family road trips.
      Dropping that to 300 would be aggravating...and in summer heat with AC on, who knows how much lower that figure dips.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      04 996TT 15 Q5 TDI
      07-23-2019 09:42 AM #21
      A couple friends have them, and given my hatred for hybrids I thought it would extend to EV but it really doesn't. They're not a bad drive and the straight line acceleration is great. My objection is range and battery performance in cold weather. I drive long distance for work a few times a month and current range is unacceptable even in decent weather. Make it snowy and 5F and it's significantly worse. If I had a normal commute (I either work from home or drive 400 miles at a shot) or drove regionally for work I'd consider buying one.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      07-23-2019 09:50 AM #22
      As a range example, next week my wife and I are going to northern Michigan for a few days. The drive is about 420 miles each way, for an estimated driving time of a bit under 6 hours. We don't have a BEV, but in the context of this discussion I looked up charging station locations along the route.

Not surprisingly they turn out to be clustered in city areas, although not necessary at the actual highway, meaning one may have to deviate from the route to go and find them. There are plenty of level 2 chargers (4-5 hours charge time per 100 miles of range) but not many of the DC Fast stations you need for a road trip. As it happens the DC Fast chargers on our route tend to fall either too soon or too late to be ideally positioned for this trip. There's also one near (~10 miles) but not at, our destination.

To make this trip in a BEV it looks as if we'd want to fast charge twice along the way, the first time at 140miles and the second at 305 miles. We'd also want to pick up at least a partial charge at or near the destination unless we did negligible local mileage while there. At the most optimistic this would add 90-120 minutes to each of the outbound and return legs. Not a very attractive prospect. Oddly enough a BEV with lower range (250 max, 200 practical) might not be any worse off on this particular trip than the Tesla 3 (300 max, 250 practical).

In my R I'd have to gas up once each way. My wife's Audi Q5 will comfortably make it all the way to the destination on one tank.

Sure, this is only one scenario, but it is a real one.

Neil
      Last edited by NeilCM; 07-23-2019 at 09:52 AM.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      04 996TT 15 Q5 TDI
      07-23-2019 11:50 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      As a range example, next week my wife and I are going to northern Michigan for a few days. The drive is about 420 miles each way, for an estimated driving time of a bit under 6 hours. We don't have a BEV, but in the context of this discussion I looked up charging station locations along the route.

Not surprisingly they turn out to be clustered in city areas, although not necessary at the actual highway, meaning one may have to deviate from the route to go and find them. There are plenty of level 2 chargers (4-5 hours charge time per 100 miles of range) but not many of the DC Fast stations you need for a road trip. As it happens the DC Fast chargers on our route tend to fall either too soon or too late to be ideally positioned for this trip. There's also one near (~10 miles) but not at, our destination.

To make this trip in a BEV it looks as if we'd want to fast charge twice along the way, the first time at 140miles and the second at 305 miles. We'd also want to pick up at least a partial charge at or near the destination unless we did negligible local mileage while there. At the most optimistic this would add 90-120 minutes to each of the outbound and return legs. Not a very attractive prospect. Oddly enough a BEV with lower range (250 max, 200 practical) might not be any worse off on this particular trip than the Tesla 3 (300 max, 250 practical).

In my R I'd have to gas up once each way. My wife's Audi Q5 will comfortably make it all the way to the destination on one tank.

Sure, this is only one scenario, but it is a real one.

Neil
      That's generally what I've seen too. I have a dieselgate Q5 TDI that's been "fixed" and I subsequently reflashed that averages mid to upper 30s highway going 75 with a refill range of ~600 miles, which is hard to compete with. I'm expecting that once EV range gets up around 400 miles they'll be more competitive as road trip vehicles.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      07-23-2019 12:10 PM #24
      They are nice in some regards, but there is a down side, here are a few points to consider with this car:

Five reasons you should not buy a Tesla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vo9e8dXoIg

Hitting A Pothole In A Tesla Cost $2600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sPc9dFsGw

It Keeps Getting Worse! You Won't Believe How Long & Much to Fix Our Tesla Model 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJ7lPdazyw&t=932s
      2017 Golf R DSG, JB4, IE DP, Magic IC, K&N, BMS pedal tuner, GC coil overs 475/550, Modified O34 dynamic mount, white line LCA, Eurocode front/rear sway bars w adjustable links, Tyrol dead set, Eurocode front strut bar, Super pro rear bushings with spherical adjustable toe link, Konig Rennform 18x9 w 255/35 MP4S

27. Member
      Vehicles
      7R '16 6M
      07-23-2019 12:28 PM #25
      These threads just confuse me - why are they are not in the lounge section or even more confusing if you bought a Tesla 3 and love it why are you not on the Tesla fan page talking about modding and appreciating?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast