Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation Hyundai Elantra Spy Photos

07-22-2019 06:17 PM #1

https://www.motor1.com/photo/4238405...undai-elantra/

One of Hyundai’s biggest reveals in the last year is the Palisade, the company’s massive SUV. The excitement apparently drowned out the news Hyundai refreshed the Elantra for the 2019 model year because the South Korean automaker is going all-in on a complete redesign. Spy photos show for the first time the next-generation Hyundai Elantra out testing.

While this is our first look at the new Elantra, we can make some predictions about what customers should expect when the new car debuts. The next-gen Elantra will likely borrow design cues from the 2020 Hyundai Sonata that debuted earlier this year, which should assuage complaints the current Elantra is a bit boring in the design department.

Under the hood, customers shouldn’t expect a huge departure from the current car. A naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine will continue; however, it may be one from the company’s new SmartStream family of engines. It’ll likely pair with the CVT and six-speed manual offered in the current car. A fuel-sipping Eco model with a turbo is also expected. However, we don’t know if the Sport trim will continue. Then again, Hyundai could replace it with an N Line model as it’s done recently with other Hyundai models. An EV version is also rumored.

While the new Elantra will likely borrow from the new Sonata’s exterior styling, don’t expect such a takeover inside. However, we have yet to see the interior. Hyundai will likely update it accordingly to keep it feeling fresh in the face of stiff competition.

It’s unclear when the new Hyundai Elantra will debut. Rumors suggest it could debut as a 2022 model; however, that could get moved forward for a 2021 model year release with an unveiling happening as soon as the Los Angeles Auto Show later this year. Whenever it debuts, the Elantra GT hatchback will be on a different refresh cycle. A new version of the hatch won’t debut until the Hyundai i30 is redesigned in 2022.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      07-22-2019 06:21 PM #2
      I can't wait for all the "it's ugly and a design travesty" comments.
      iain

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-22-2019 06:28 PM #3
      It's ugly

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      07-22-2019 06:44 PM #4
      its a design travesty

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      07-22-2019 07:03 PM #5
      Should've bought it last year. Its losing the manual, and the 2019 is awful looking. Even the cheap versions of the 2017-18 looked classy.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      07-22-2019 09:07 PM #6
      Looks like Hyundai will probably play it safe here. I don't expect the big changes that Peter Schreyer brought to Hyundai long ago that made some Hyundai buyers more interested in the cars looks than its MSRP.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      07-22-2019 09:46 PM #7
      Mother of god that looks horrible.

What's that design element on the C-pillar, the black plastic bit?

07-23-2019 09:48 AM #8
      As an owner of a '17, I hate the current "refresh". While my car does have some cheapish elements (seats, suspension), it looks nicer than its price points. I'm looking for the next gen to return to that style, and I'm glad they're continuing with the sedan.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 11 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

07-23-2019 10:30 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      Looks like Hyundai will probably play it safe here. I don't expect the big changes that Peter Schreyer brought to Hyundai long ago that made some Hyundai buyers more interested in the cars looks than its MSRP.
      According to this interview, not playing it safe is the rulebook. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-future-models
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      07-23-2019 10:35 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      Mother of god that looks horrible.

What's that design element on the C-pillar, the black plastic bit?
      Air smoothing.

Lots of cars have them placed around the vehicles.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      07-23-2019 12:22 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      As an owner of a '17, I hate the current "refresh". While my car does have some cheapish elements (seats, suspension), it looks nicer than its price points. I'm looking for the next gen to return to that style, and I'm glad they're continuing with the sedan.

Chris

Agreed.You got the good one It certainly looks designed vs the decorated look of the refresh and now this.

07-23-2019 12:41 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Agreed.You got the good one It certainly looks designed vs the decorated look of the refresh and now this.
      While I agree his looks good, that design is a bit boring and contributed to Hyundai's sales slump. Inspired design draws traffic for Hyundai. Based on what they rolled out for the Sonata I think we're in for a ride with the next gen designs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      07-23-2019 12:50 PM #13
      Looks big

Based on what they did with the Sonata... I'm optimistic. Bigger question is what happens with the powertrains

15. Member
      07-23-2019 02:19 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post

Chris
      When I had my 2017 Sport the car was practically invisible. No one noticed it. The only time it got attention was when I did well at autocrosses because people were confused as to why this invisible car performed so well. Fast forward to now and I have a 2019 Sport. The ugly one as it's called by most. I get people asking me what it is all of the time. The typically clueless car owner notices it and tells me it's a great looking car. It's quite bizarre.

For the record I think the improvements made to the car make it the better car. It drives and rides so much better than my 2017 did and it's quieter inside as well. Handles better too. The car still has the same hilarious exhaust note as the previous generation and drives every bit as fun so I consider it a win. The looks are growing on me (I don't have to squint as much walking up to it anymore) and a change of wheels makes quite a difference.

Vehicles
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      07-23-2019 02:39 PM #15
      I was pretty cold on the 2019 Sport in pictures but seeing it in the flesh (and in black) made a somewhat positive difference. I still don't like the non-Sport trims.

As for my personal car, still fine. No huge complaints but ready to get into the next thing fairly soon. It won't be another Elantra any way I cut it.
      Nirvana.

17. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-23-2019 03:36 PM #16
      I find it interesting how the camo shows exactly how much functional grille space there is on the front of the car which is actually quite small. Anything beyond that is just for looks.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

18. Member
      07-23-2019 03:56 PM #17
      I just noticed it's going to have fake exhaust tips in the bumper. I wish that trend would die already.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      07-23-2019 07:08 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      According to this interview, not playing it safe is the rulebook. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-future-models
      Well there's no doubt about it Hyundai's styling is slowly evolving, especially after they brought Peter Schreyer and others in. What I've seen of the 2020 Sonata looks good.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      07-23-2019 07:11 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Well there's no doubt about it Hyundai's styling is slowly evolving, especially after they brought Peter Schreyer and others in. What I've seen of the 2020 Sonata looks good. I don't know if we'll ever see a drop dead gorgeous Hyundai though?

21. 07-24-2019 05:29 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Looks big

Based on what they did with the Sonata... I'm optimistic. Bigger question is what happens with the powertrains

Likely won't see the new 2.5L that is in the new Sonata, so maybe the updated 2.0L that is available in KDM Sonatas.

The updated 1.6T is a good bet, but won't see the 2.5T as that would be reserved for the Sonata and maybe the i30N and Veloster N.
      Last edited by CP1; 07-24-2019 at 05:44 AM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

22. 07-24-2019 05:32 AM #21
      The greenhouse looks alright, but it looks like it could be more a Kia than a Hyundai.

New Optima

What is a travesty is the front clip of the facelifted Elantra.

Oddly enough, while the designers messed up the front (change for the sake of change isn't always better), like what they did to the rear (new taillight design).

Based on the spy shots and the current design language, not sure if will like the front fascia of the new Elantra, but at the very least, it's got to be an improvement over the current design.

Does look noticeably longer (guess it needed that to better compete w/ the space that the Civic and Corolla provide).

Looks aside, should be a more dynamic handler - as it should be underpinned by the new N3 platform.
      Last edited by CP1; 07-24-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

23. Banned
      07-25-2019 09:33 AM #22
      They should get rid of it altogether along with all things mundane in their lineup.The Elantra GT, especially the N spec, is a great performance bargain with the 7spd dct. Hyundai should develop and market cars with BMW's driving inspired charisma.
      Last edited by 2L82 Car; 07-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.

24. 08-04-2019 02:23 PM #23
      ^ The Elantra Sport (likely will become the N-line for the next gen) 4-door is a pretty fun ride, but the majority of daily drivers aren't looking for that (or willing to pay for it - things like an IRS).

The upcoming Hyundai models will all be sportier simply on the basis of the new, lighter N3 platform (the Sonata being the 1st), but there will be trims directed at the daily driver type (CVT, base engine) and N-line and N (DCT, turbo engines) devoted to driving enthusiasts.

So I guess yeah, it kinda is like what BMW is doing.

In addition to the new 2.5T (280-290 hp for FWD application), the big thing on the performance front is the upcoming 8 spd wet DCT - which is smoother and can handle more power than the current 7-spd dry DCT.

Another thing is the addition of AWD; reportedly the new Optima gets AWD, but Hyundai is still deciding whether they will offer that on the Sonata (definitely a must if they end up doing a Sonata-N).
      Last edited by CP1; 08-04-2019 at 02:28 PM.

- LeftLaneNews

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast