The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Impaired Driver Weird and Bad Behavior Thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '63 Dodge Dart
      07-24-2019 03:19 PM #26
      "What is she doing?"
      We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      07-24-2019 03:19 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Rav_VW View Post
      I keep finding orange peels in the road along my commute. How the hell do you peel and eat an orange while driving? I shudder to imagine what that steering wheel must look and feel like.
      Heh. I worked a summer at Roush in Detroit back in the day, and my shift was typically from 4 AM to noon. I took an empty back road/parkway to get in (Hines Drive for those of you locals). Five days a week, I'd eat an apple on my way in, roll down my window, huck it forward and try to run it over at it tumbled down the road.

So if you're ever wondering how fruit gets on the road, it's through sheer boredom.

07-24-2019 03:22 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelstand View Post
      Ah look, a middle aged white woman with the short haircut. Did she demand to talk to the supervisor as well? Or maybe tell them about how she's going to ream them on Yelp for this?

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      07-24-2019 03:49 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      Heh. I worked a summer at Roush in Detroit back in the day, and my shift was typically from 4 AM to noon. I took an empty back road/parkway to get in (Hines Drive for those of you locals). Five days a week, I'd eat an apple on my way in, roll down my window, huck it forward and try to run it over at it tumbled down the road.

So if you're ever wondering how fruit gets on the road, it's through sheer boredom.
      Haha - in HS we had to take the interstate home for a couple of exits. We figured out you can take an orange or grapefruit and if you roll them down the road ahead of your car they compress into almost a wheel and then explode. A lot of citrus met its end on I-89.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      07-24-2019 04:26 PM #30

I don't know why, but a post about "hucking" fruit out of a moving car on Hines Drive and then trying to run it over made my afternoon.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-24-2019 04:36 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Haha - in HS we had to take the interstate home for a couple of exits. We figured out you can take an orange or grapefruit and if you roll them down the road ahead of your car they compress into almost a wheel and then explode. A lot of citrus met its end on I-89.
      How in the hell am I supposed to behave like an adult when I'm so compelled to try this?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      07-24-2019 04:39 PM #32
      It's terrifying to drive at night in Houston where Harris County leads the nation in DWI related accidents, arrests, and fatalities. You have to exercise so much caution when you are on the highway or even on city streets.

I've made probably 100 or so DWI arrests in my career before I went to my current position and they cover the full spectrum. Someone who blows a 0.09 and can't even stand up straight all the way to one guy who blew a .23 and did the W&T (walk and turn) and OLS (one leg stand) test perfectly, though HGN (horizontal gaze nystagmus) was a clear giveaway.

When I drive at night in Houston, I always clear my intersections, no matter how long the light has been green. If I'm on the highway, I always am caution on an overpass where I can't see the road ahead in case someone is coming the wrong way. I will slow down a bit and I will always use a 18 wheeler as cover if one is available. Always have a plan of action if you see headlights coming at you on the highway. Honking or flashing your lights isn't effective, especially when you are both closing distance towards each other quickly. Be prepared to take evasive action but don't loose control of your own vehicle in the process.

Be careful out there and always have plans if you drink. Now with Uber, Lyft, etc there is no reason to ever drive if you've had too much.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      07-24-2019 05:20 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I don't know why, but a post about "hucking" fruit out of a moving car on Hines Drive and then trying to run it over made my afternoon.
      Glad I could help; it never stopped being funny. I wasn't a hoodlum, but I didn't exactly find it to be a high crime or misdemeanor to launch items out of a moving vehicle in the 22 years I grew up in Metro Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      It's terrifying to drive at night in Houston where Harris County leads the nation in DWI related accidents, arrests, and fatalities. You have to exercise so much caution when you are on the highway or even on city streets.

I've made probably 100 or so DWI arrests in my career before I went to my current position and they cover the full spectrum. Someone who blows a 0.09 and can't even stand up straight all the way to one guy who blew a .23 and did the W&T (walk and turn) and OLS (one leg stand) test perfectly, though HGN (horizontal gaze nystagmus) was a clear giveaway.

When I drive at night in Houston, I always clear my intersections, no matter how long the light has been green. If I'm on the highway, I always am caution on an overpass where I can't see the road ahead in case someone is coming the wrong way. I will slow down a bit and I will always use a 18 wheeler as cover if one is available. Always have a plan of action if you see headlights coming at you on the highway. Honking or flashing your lights isn't effective, especially when you are both closing distance towards each other quickly. Be prepared to take evasive action but don't loose control of your own vehicle in the process.

Be careful out there and always have plans if you drink. Now with Uber, Lyft, etc there is no reason to ever drive if you've had too much.
      This scares the hell out of me in Chicago too. I am not a night owl anymore, but I live equidistant from every major perimeter highway in the metro area, and every single one has had at least one overnight head-on fatality crash this year.

It seriously shook me last week: the wife and I had a Friday wedding to attend downtown, and we had to get on the road at 4:00 AM to make another wedding in Columbus the next afternoon. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about hitting the highway at such an hour. I had two options: take the toll road (SkyWay) along the lake, shave 20 miles and go through Gary ****in' Indiana, or take I-55 to the bypass (I-294) and avoid the potential for a flat in a dangerous area.

We left at 4:05 and I elected to take the shortcut and head through Gary instead of I-55. This happened at 4:17 AM on southbound I-55: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/07...ong-way-crash/

I am not exaggerating: Google Traffic data says 12 minutes from our hotel to the location of the crash. That could have been us, and I've been spooked for a solid week since seeing the article

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      07-24-2019 05:27 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      How in the hell am I supposed to behave like an adult when I'm so compelled to try this?

Vehicles
      It varies.
      07-24-2019 05:39 PM #35
      Glad I could help; it never stopped being funny. I wasn't a hoodlum, but I didn't exactly find it to be a high crime or misdemeanor to launch items out of a moving vehicle in the 22 years I grew up in Metro Detroit
      Definitely not, the comment probably made my day because a) I've thrown (excuse me, "hucked" ) my fair share of items out of moving cars in the Livonia/Westland area and b) done all manner of stupid **** in Hines Park.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MK7 T H I C C
      07-24-2019 07:18 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Definitely not, the comment probably made my day because a) I've thrown (excuse me, "hucked" ) my fair share of items out of moving cars in the Livonia/Westland area and b) done all manner of stupid **** in Hines Park.
      Uh oh...there's a small chance we may have engaged in such activities together at some point. In the interest of privacy, PM sent

Vehicles
      2004 New Beetle TDI,Honda CR-V 2003
      07-24-2019 08:07 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Well what do you expect? None of his 4 wives were in the mood.
      He could have had a "lot lizard" ask him does he need any company at the next truck stop

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      07-24-2019 08:20 PM #38

Well, except for Hines being closed from flooding every time there was a light shower within ten miles of that stretch of road.

Uh oh...there's a small chance we may have engaged in such activities together at some point. In the interest of privacy, PM sent
      What time period? If an Egg McMuffin took a bad bounce and landed on your hood, I apologize.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

15. Member
      07-24-2019 08:26 PM #39
      It's better if they aren't even able to drive (sort of )

Gordon Edward Spicer, of East Wallace, Nova Scotia, Canada, is angry when he’s told he’s too drunk to drive. He shows them just how sober he is when he burns the house down.
      Sometimes you just can’t argue with people.

“The caller indicated that a man intentionally set a home on fire following a verbal dispute over whether the man was sober enough to drive,” a police statement reads. “The man and woman were known to one another.” Police say there was heavy smoke coming from the home when officers and firefighters arrived on scene. A man was seen leaving the area in a truck, but was arrested by the RCMP.
      Last edited by Roberto Dimento; 07-24-2019 at 08:44 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '63 Dodge Dart
      07-25-2019 09:56 AM #40
      Man drives off pier into the sea. Sez the mermaids told him to do it.

This guy drive his Toyota Alfred speeding on the walk way beside the marina while pursue by Sentosa Ranger, plunged his car into the water and never try to escape, we rescued him ( one of the Ang Mo crew from one of the yacht here actually free dive into the sea and pull him out of the car while we prepared our dive gear) . When we administered him with the O2 from our boat he was still conscious, when he regained his composure he kept asking us to die, he asked Zhi Zhi to die first then turned to me and asked me to die too, when me responded with laughter and tell him ok I will die eventually, he shouted at me "u will die now". When the paramedics arrived and carried him to the stretcher, he told them all of u will die. Sound scary right ?
      SINGAPORE: A man who drove his car into the waters off Sentosa Cove in 2017 while under the influence of amphetamine and methamphetamine was on Thursday (Jan 10) sentenced to almost a year in jail and banned from driving for two years.

Lim Jin Ping, 37, had driven his white Toyota Voxy off a walkway and into the waters at Cove Drive on Aug 25, 2017. Videos of his antics were widely circulated at that time.

The court heard that Lim, a father of three, had gone for a drive because he was feeling frustrated over several personal matters, including his father not allowing him to use a solar panel at home to test a business concept.

The former Grab driver drove from his home in Potong Pasir to Sentosa, where he crashed through the entrance gantry barriers without stopping.

He later drove against the flow of traffic and hit a Sentosa Ranger, a security officer on the island.

Lim did not stop and instead continued barrelling down the roads until he reached W Singapore, where he drove on a pathway beside the hotel and down a flight of steps towards the marina and into the waters.

The ranger and his partner, who had been in pursuit of him, called for divers to help.

Trained diver David Roberts, whose ship was docked nearby, responded to the call. He dove into the sea, breaking a car window with a stone and pulled Lim out

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...drugs-11105362
      Lim later admitted that he had smoked amphetamines before going for a drive that day. He said he took the drug regularly and had previously been admitted to the Institute of Mental Health for drug-induced psychosis.

His drugged joyride cost Sentosa Development Corporation S$6,801.11 in repairs.

Lim pleaded guilty in November to charges including voluntarily causing hurt, consuming drugs and committing mischief.

The prosecution had asked for a stiffer sentence of at least 16 months' and four weeks' jail.

His joyride on the pathway and flight of steps next to W Singapore "endangered the personal safety of pedestrians who would not expect to see a vehicle barrelling down the pathway towards them", said Deputy Public Prosecutor Yang Ziliang.

He urged the judge to give no weight to Lim's defence of being a first-time offender, saying that he had an established pattern of drug consumption.

District Judge Kessler Soh sentenced him on Thursday to 11 months and four weeks in jail, along with a two-year driving ban that will take effect when he is released from prison.

His car was ordered to be returned to him.

(turn the music off for the video) .
      Last edited by Rory Calhoun; 07-25-2019 at 09:59 AM.
      We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

17. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      07-25-2019 12:13 PM #41
      Naked from the waist down. Sounds about right for 3AM

Jocelyn Reardon was arrested around 3.00am Sunday in Troy, Michigan
      She had driven to the district courthouse to pick up two friends
      One was charged with DUI hours earlier and the other underage drinking
      Reardon was wearing only a baggy t-shirt and failed a field sobriety test
      She blew .133 on a breathalyzer and was arrested
      By DAILYMAIL REPORTER

A 20-year-old Michigan woman was arrested at the weekend after driving to pick up her friends who had been charged with DUI - but she was allegedly intoxicated while behind the wheel as well!

To make matters worse, police in Troy say that by the time Jocelyn Reardon arrived to get her pals from the district courthouse around 3.00am Sunday, the two had already been released.

Police spotted Reardon in her pickup close to the police station and approached the car, WXYZ reported.

Officers said Reardon was wearing just a baggy t-shirt and was slurring her words.

Dash camera footage from the scene shows one officer giving Reardon a sobriety test. She admits to having 'four or five shots', despite being underage.

When Reardon failed the test she was arrested. She blew .133 on a breathalyzer.

Video taken inside the police car shows Reardon crying after being told the friends she had come to get had already been released.

'They left me,' she is heard saying through tears.

The young woman was charged with Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Alcohol

Sergeant Meghan Lehman from Troy Police said all three of the women made bad decisions +5
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756774/Drunk-woman-20-not-wearing-pants-arrested-driving-police-station-pick-friends-DUI.html
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      07-25-2019 12:17 PM #42
      Id honestly argue that distracted driving, IE people on their phones, etc is a bigger threat than impaired drivers at this point. Ride sharing has significantly dropped incidents of impaired driving. But overall accident rates are the same, and its been noted that distracted driving is in some cases worse than impaired driving.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      07-25-2019 12:21 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post

Thats why some have argued that BAC is not an accurate measure of intoxication. A person who is a regular drinker becomes accustomed to alcohol and can function at a much higher level than a "weekend warrior" who drinks less often.

As since it seems you are in law enforcement, how bad is distracted driving where you are? IE texting and driving and whats your opinion of it.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 camry
      07-25-2019 01:40 PM #44
      When I started the thread, I really wasn't considering a strict legal definition of "impaired" (as to do with drugs and alcohol). I was more thinking of the larger sense of impairment which would include distracted driving. So, my apologies about the thread title. You are absolutely correct that all the distractions these days (including these ridiculous on screen menus that require your eyes) are equal (if not greater) problems when it comes to being fully functional.

Looks like the infotainment systems are getting a lot of attention as to how they create "lack of attention" when behind the wheel.

Audio entertainment? My 2002 Camry I can do with my fingers by feel in a few seconds. I don't need to look away from the road.

https://komonews.com/news/local/new-...on-study-finds

BELLEVUE, Wash. – New in-vehicle infotainment systems, meant to increase comfort and extend mobility for older drivers, are instead creating potentially deadly distractions, according to a new study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.

The study found that, on average, older drivers aged 55 to 75 removed their eyes and attention from the road for more than eight seconds longer than younger drivers aged 21 to 36 when programming navigation or tuning the radio using in-vehicle voice-command or touch-screen technology.

And those eight seconds could prove to be deadly, according to the report. Taking your eyes off the road for just two seconds doubles a driver’s risk of a crash.

"Voice-command functions found in new in-vehicle technology are intended to help drivers by keeping their eyes and attention on the road," said Dr. David Yang, executive director of the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. "Unfortunately, the complexity and poor design of some of these systems could cause more harm for drivers, more so for older drivers, instead of helping them.”

The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety and researchers from the University of Utah tested the visual and cognitive demand created by the infotainment systems in six 2018 vehicles.

Study participants in the younger and older age groups were required to use voice commands, touch screens and other interactive technologies to make a call, send a text message, tune the radio or program navigation, all while driving.

Researchers found that while the technology created potentially unsafe distractions for all drivers, the safety risk is more pronounced for older adults. The older adults group took anywhere from 4.7 to 8.6 seconds longer to complete tasks, experienced slower response times and increased visual distractions. Some examples:

Audio entertainment: Younger drivers took 18 seconds to complete, while older drivers took 25.4 seconds, on average.
      Calling and dialing: Younger drivers took 17.7 seconds to complete, compared with 22.4 seconds for older drivers.
      Text messaging: Younger drivers took 27.7 seconds, compared with 33.8 seocnds for older drivers.
      Navigation entry: Younger drivers took 31.4 seconds, while older drivers took 40 seconds.
      The longer completion times for older drivers is especially significant because seniors are becomiong the fastest-growing demographic in the nation. By 2030, more than one in five drivers on the road will be over the age of 65.
      The AAA study recommends that specific design changes should be made to in-vehicle infotainment systems, like improving voice-command technology, simplifying software menus, removing complex center console controls and positioning system controls to allow all drivers to keep their eyes on the road.

The report also recommends that all drivers, especially older drivers, use in-vehicle infotainment systems only in emergencies and practice using voice-command touch-screen options while parked to build comfort in case emergency use is required.

And drivers are urged to avoid vehicles that require use of a center console controller when using the infotainment system, because they are especially distracting and potentially dangerous.

“This is a design problem, not an age problem,” said AAA Washington’s Traffic Safety program manager, Kelly Just. “Designing systems to meet the safety and comfort needs of aging drivers would benefit all of us today, and for years to come.”
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-25-2019 01:46 PM #45
      This idiot was on the interstate crossing the Ohio River. There's no way off of the highway immediately after the bridge, meaning he had to drive 4ish miles to get off the highway. At 40 mph.

Apparently the guy does this on scooters, too. He's been spotted all over town and even pulled over before, yet he's still doing it. Hmmmm... I wonder what will eventually stop him.

What a complete dumbass.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      07-25-2019 01:52 PM #46

. 40mph. Well.. evidently he needs more power.

JK

So any news articles on said idiot?
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-25-2019 02:09 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelstand View Post
      . 40mph. Well.. evidently he needs more power.

JK

So any news articles on said idiot?
      Nope. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't made the news. When he gets spread across three lanes of traffic it will make the news, though. The dude is going to die out there.

You can see his head just above the dashboard here.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      07-25-2019 02:28 PM #48
      I guess it was just a matter of time.

Falls under the category of "weird behavior"

Last edited by Wheelstand; 07-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      07-25-2019 05:34 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by audifans View Post
      Naked from the waist down. Sounds about right for 3AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756774/Drunk-woman-20-not-wearing-pants-arrested-driving-police-station-pick-friends-DUI.html

Above is Alfaro's friend who went to get her out of jail.

It's no pants day for that crew.

https://wreg.com/2016/08/26/two-wome...is-zero-pants/

TROY, MI. — A traffic stop in Michigan is grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Police say they pulled over Samantha Alfaro to arrest her for drunk driving, but she was naked from the waist down, WGNO reported.

You can hear the female officer in dash cam video asking Alfaro to put her clothes on.

She says, “Just put your pants on, ok, because there’s a male officer coming and I don’t want you to be exposed, you know.”

Alfaro did get dressed and was arrested and booked for DUI.

However, it doesn’t end there. Alfaro’s friend picked her up from the police station, but was also busted for DUI, just after leaving.

And in maybe the most bizarre twist of the story, police say her friend wasn’t wearing pants either.
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      07-25-2019 07:52 PM #50
      Apparently the guy does this on scooters, too. He's been spotted all over town and even pulled over before, yet he's still doing it. Hmmmm... I wonder what will eventually stop him.

I spy, with my little eye, in the rear view mirror...
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast