VWVortex.com - 2020 Chevy Silverado diesel gets official EPA highway rating of 33 mpg...is it enough to turn the tide?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: 2020 Chevy Silverado diesel gets official EPA highway rating of 33 mpg...is it enough to turn the ti

Voters
    18. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes, Ram and F-150 are DOOOMED, doomed, I tells ya!

4 22.22%
    • Nah, once electric F-150 gets here, it's OVER.

11 61.11%
    • VW called, they want their Diesel scandal back...

2 11.11%
    • I have another Diesel pickup I'd rather...

1 5.56%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Chevy Silverado diesel gets official EPA highway rating of 33 mpg...is it enough to turn the tide?

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      07-25-2019 02:00 PM #1

Chevy just released official EPA-estimated fuel economy figures for the new turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six diesel going into the Silverado. Itís rated to get a stunning 33 mpg on the highway, which crushes the Ford F-150 dieselís rating of 30 mpg on the highway. It also earns the slightest of victories in city fuel economy at 23 mpg, whereas the Ford is rated at 22 mpg. To say that we are shocked that a full-size pickup is able to achieve 33 mpg on the highway is an understatement. We were impressed when Ford hit us with the big 3-0 last year, but this sets the goalposts way out in front.

There are some caveats, of course. If you want a SIlverado with four-wheel drive, the numbers go down to 23/29 (city/highway) mpg. Thatís still significantly better than the F-150 with four-wheel drive at 20/25 mpg, but you do lose the magical 30 mpg highway bragging rights. Thereís a new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel on the way, but EPA numbers arenít out for that truck yet. The previous Ram EcoDiesel was rated at 20/27 mpg, but we expect those numbers to tick up for the new truck.

So, how did GM wipe the floor with Ford and Ram in this mpg fight? Chevy told us on the truckís first drive that it optimized the truck for superior fuel economy, not superior towing. Thatís obvious, as the Silverado is down significantly on towing capacity versus both the Ford and Ram. The 2020 Silverado diesel can haul a maximum of 9,300 pounds, whereas the Ford tops out at a much higher 11,400 pounds. Both of those are still well under Ramís new max capacity of 12,560 pounds. Strangely enough, the Silverado makes more horsepower than both the Ford and Ram at 277 horsepower. It ends up between the two in torque, rated at 460 pound-feet of twist.

Funnily enough, these ratings make the full-size Silverado more efficient than the smaller Colorado and GMC Canyon diesel offerings. The highest fuel economy achieved by those trucks is 20/30 mpg. The new diesel engine will also be available on the GMC Sierra, but GM hasnít released figures specific to that truck yet. Youíll need to pony up $3,890 to option the diesel engine onto the LT or RST trims, or $2,495 if youíre looking at an LTZ or High Country. Chevy says that this engine officially completes the powertrain lineup for the new Silverado, so all your options are now laid out on the table. Choose wisely.
      https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/25/...-fuel-economy/

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 07-25-2019 at 02:26 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      07-25-2019 02:18 PM #2
      Finally, the Silverado has a raison d'Ítre

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      07-25-2019 02:28 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Finally, the Silverado has a raison d'Ítre
      THIS. I don't think this engine is still good enough to turn the tide in favor of GM, but we will see.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

07-25-2019 02:51 PM #4
      I always want to love small diesel engines in midsize and half ton trucks, but it seems like the moment they are in the hands of real owners, all the emissions equipment just gets ripped out and they roll coal no matter what. Diesel's biggest enemy in the non-commercial truck space is the owners themselves. Eventually the EPA is just going to throw their hands up and take dramatic action that hurts all of us to simply go after the coal rollers.

Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      07-25-2019 03:10 PM #5
      Surprised that the 4x4 takes such a big fuel economy hit.

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      07-25-2019 06:27 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I always want to love small diesel engines in midsize and half ton trucks, but it seems like the moment they are in the hands of real owners, all the emissions equipment just gets ripped out and they roll coal no matter what. Diesel's biggest enemy in the non-commercial truck space is the owners themselves. Eventually the EPA is just going to throw their hands up and take dramatic action that hurts all of us to simply go after the coal rollers.
      to counter your anecdote with another anecdote - my experience in the colorado diesel forums is that a majority of owners are unmodified. and of the minority that are tuned, a vast majority of those folks have emissions intact (ie, no coal rolling) tunes.

so... theres that.

those mpgs are amazing given the size of the truck - especially when compared with the diesel colorado. hot damn

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      07-25-2019 06:40 PM #7
      Itís too late.

Plug-in hybrid trucks will easily surpass 30mpgs

9. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      07-25-2019 06:59 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Seems about right. My B5 V6 4Mo wagon got 3mpg less at 80mph than my son's B5 V6 fwd wagon does on the same 1050 mile drives (22mpg vs 25mpg). Even swapping in the 1.8T and 6sp manual only bought my wagon up to 25mpg at 80, while the FWD Tip wagons got 28.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

10. 07-25-2019 07:29 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Itís too late.

Plug-in hybrid trucks will easily surpass 30mpgs

I am a truck owner and I don't think hybrids are anywhere close to being feasible for the truck environment...

Put dirt bikes in back and travel 8 hours for an enduro race -no
      Go camping and use truck to make day trips from camp site - no
      Burry it up to the headlights in mud - no
      Use it on a work site for power tools - no
      Leave it running and sleep inside of it for 8 hours - no
      Leave headlights on for 6 hours to light up job site - no

The hybrid truck is for the buyer that can't decide between an SUV and a full sized truck. Yes this does represent some portion of the market but there is another portion of the market that needs it to what only a combustible engine car do at this time.

Vehicles
      RS3
      07-25-2019 07:30 PM #10
      *crushes* competition ... by a whoppin' 3MPG ....

Excellent.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

12. 07-25-2019 07:34 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      *crushes* competition ... by a whoppin' 3MPG ....

Excellent.
      A 10% increase in gas mileage for a heavy non aerodynamic vehicle is noteworthy...If the engineers read your comment they would probably have a heart attack. You are fighting for inches in that environment, not miles.

They already have an "every gram matters" design philosophy..

13. Member
      07-25-2019 07:49 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Tbonez3858 View Post
      I am a truck owner and I don't think hybrids are anywhere close to being feasible for the truck environment...

The hybrid truck is for the buyer that can't decide between an SUV and a full sized truck. Yes this does represent some portion of the market but there is another portion of the market that needs it to what only a combustible engine car do at this time.
      Your comparisons are very FAR to the extreme side. 8 hr. travel I get, but.....buy a generator, don't be a dumbass and bury your truck in mud, buy a generator for power tools, get a hotel instead, and rent a light tower. You gotta work more efficiently man.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

14. 07-25-2019 07:55 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      Your comparisons are very FAR to the extreme side. 8 hr. travel I get, but.....buy a generator, don't be a dumbass and bury your truck in mud, buy a generator for power tools, get a hotel instead, and rent a light tower. You gotta work more efficiently man.

Doable but not realistic...Vehicles are tools for a portion of the population and an electric vehicle is the wrong tool at this time.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      07-25-2019 08:00 PM #14

I'm no truck owner but I don't get why a hybrid could not do what you mentioned. I agree with full electric, but hybrids can do all the above IMO

I know a lot of truck owners and I honestly feel that most don't really use their trucks for their built purpose.

Sent from a telephone while driving

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      07-25-2019 08:16 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      City mpg stays the same and the highway hit is much smaller than Ford

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      07-25-2019 08:23 PM #16
      The last hybrid truck wasnít well received.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/content...rst-try-261042

Iím not saying it canít be done better now, but I donít see that market making that shift soon, or easily.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta ST, 97 Miata
      07-25-2019 09:03 PM #17

Do you know what a hybrid is?

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      07-25-2019 09:47 PM #18
      And here I was happy to get 18mpg out of the 6.2 diesel.

Quite the improvement! However, you can't reach the bed anymore.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-25-2019 10:23 PM #19
      I'm happy to hear some good news coming from the new GM trucks.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      07-26-2019 07:20 AM #20
      Impressive.

Wonder when it will trickle down into the Sierra.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      07-26-2019 07:39 AM #21

Are you confusing "hybrid" with "plug-in electric"?
      As I understand how most current hybrid cars and CUVs work today, the gas engine and brake energy capture charge the battery.
      So, as long as you have gas in the tank, a hybrid vehicle can do everything that you suggest above.

My father is an electrical contractor, so I have grown up around job sites and pick-up trucks that are being used for work, most of my life. He's never used his trucks for anything that you have listed.
      I'm not saying that those aren't some possible uses, but they seem extreme.

Some Ram and Jeeps have eAssist powertrains, and I assume that these mild hybrid systems have been tested and approved for deep water/mud crossings.

As for leaving the headlights on for 6 hours or sleeping in a running truck for 8 hours, I can't think of any vehicle (gas or otherwise) that would handle that well.

More importantly, Ford and GM won't be abandoning diesel and gas, when their electric or hybrid trucks come along. Pick the right tool for your needs.
      As most people with trucks are NOT going to use their vehicles for such extreme activities, an electric or hybrid one will be perfectly practical for most of their needs.

Here's some info on Jeep's eTorque system, which can survive a 30 inch fording depth:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...ladiator-tech/

The newest engine for the Wrangler is a 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder with 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Those figures compare favorably with the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, which is rated at 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, but what makes the new four-cylinder stand out is its eTorque 48-volt mild-hybrid system that uses a 0.3-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery.

With the eTorque system, not only can electricity be recouped through regenerative braking, but it can also be recovered via the crankshaft. The Ram 1500 features this eTorque system on its V6 and V8 engines, and many automakers like Audi and Mercedes-Benz are quickly rolling out this mild-hybrid tech.

"So when we are slowing down, we can have the MGU [motor generator unit] turn on. It can clamp down on the crank and put some energy back in the system. That's how we can recharge," Gladiator's Girmus says. Girmus also says that because of the MGU's crankshaft clamping, the 2.0-liter engine can provide just as much engine braking as the larger and inherently more resistant when off-throttle 3.6-liter V6.

Near the back and underneath the vehicle lies the briefcase-sized power pack unit (lithium-ion battery), which is watertight and is encased within a skid plate.

"Every Wrangler is Trail Rated. So we've got to make sure it lives through mud, it lives through water, it can get beat up on the trail," Girmus says. "So it's kind of the uniqueness of putting any kind of hybridization on a Wrangler: it's that added dimension that it's got to pass and be able to go over the Rubicon trail."
      At this point, we've established that the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator are loaded with electronics, but things that run off electricity don't play nice with water, so how are the Wrangler's and Gladiator's complex electronics engineered to hold up as they ride in vehicles that are capable of fording 30 inches of water?

"So we have a 30-inch water-fording depth, which means we strike a line right down the vehicle," Wrangler's Lees says. "Anything, any electronic device that is housed below that line has to be completely submersible. Anything above does not have to be, but it has to be water-resistant."

But don't think electronic components above the fording line have it any easier, for they have to undergo a 16-hour mist test. "At our tech center in Auburn Hills, [Michigan], we have a booth that we put the Jeep in," Lees says. "We take the top off, we take the windshield, fold it down, windows down, and then for 16 hours, it's just got a fine mist that is raining down on it."

Lees says the mist test is meant to simulate the Wrangler's and Gladiator's water resistance in the event the vehicles are left exposed in a thunderstorm while camping.
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 07-26-2019 at 08:04 AM.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      07-26-2019 07:42 AM #22
      I think you left out one option in the poll, Uber.

I'm not sure how to word it, but GM is working on its own plug-in electric truck/SUV.
      Cadillac's next Escalade is rumored to be getting a 400 mile range BEV variant.
      That tech will almost certainly be applied to its sister trucks and SUVs.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      07-26-2019 08:20 AM #23

So, on this subject, there's a pretty large group of people that have used their Prii as home generators during power outages. It's even to the point where a company made a really stout kit for this use vs just a cheap power inverter.

The hybrid batter and gas engine basically cycle on and off, continually. So there's no reason stuff like this couldn't work in an even bigger, truck-based system.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      07-26-2019 08:30 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      What about driving up a spiral structure thatís been set on fire?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Current - '16 Silverado, Sold - '06 Goat
      07-26-2019 08:47 AM #25
      I watched a short clip about it from TFL Truck and I guess Chevy tried to make it the best of both worlds (towing and efficiency) so itís not meant to destroy the competition. That said, I guess you could easily tune it for more power or vice versa. Itís a nice truck and itís great to have more motor options. It is getting annoying that everyone believes each engine unveil should be completely revolutionary and turn the market upside down. Itíll do great for its intended purpose.

As for diesel - I canít tell you that last time I saw someone ďroll coalĒ. Thatís coming from someone in rural NC with plenty of hillbillies to boot. Thereís still a handful out there, but modern diesels are too good and expensive to get in the hands of 18 year olds blowing paychecks on light bars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast