VWVortex.com - Does the Jetta VII have a Skoda twin?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Does the Jetta VII have a Skoda twin?

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen GTI; 2016 Mazda CX-5
      07-25-2019 03:56 PM #1
      I recently took the chance to rent a Jetta VII while on vacation. I am well aware that this car is exclusive to the the Americas and China while sharing the MQB with the Golf, Tiguan, Atlas, etc but I couldn't help but shake the feeling that it felt really familiar, as in I had effectively been in one before. It finally dawned on me that reminded me a lot of the various Skoda Ubers I rode in Ireland a couple years back. Does the Jetta VII have a direct Skoda twin? Or is this just coincidence? I'm not super up on Skodas as I'm stateside but I know that this was the case back when the B5 Passat and Superb were the same car.
      Last edited by bhak1; 07-25-2019 at 10:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      07-25-2019 07:27 PM #2
      I'm sure any Skoda on a MQB platform would seem familiar. Not to mention Skoda's current styling seems very similar to the Jetta. I really wish we could get Skoda in the USA.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-25-2019 10:39 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisjackd View Post
      I'm sure any Skoda on a MQB platform would seem familiar. Not to mention Skoda's current styling seems very similar to the Jetta. I really wish we could get Skoda in the USA.

Yes. To be totally honest, going in I was very biased against the car, feeling that it was, like the US Passat, an oversized, “for export only,” VW Camry/Accord that the Germans wouldn’t dare to sell in Europe. But as I’ve seen them more and more on the road (and will be due for a more mature GTI replacement in a couple years) they were starting to grow on me. Upon driving the rental (an SEL I believe) for 2 days, I found myself really liking it. It may not be a GTI, but it was no Camry either. Still I feel sort of like a sellout, giving into the car “engineered for the North American market.” Howevert... if it were a Škoda with a VW badge in the states... well, that sounds a lot more palatable. I really liked all the Skodas I saw in Europe. Either way, I am coming around to the Jetta VII, especially in GLI form. The alternatives will likely be the Golf Alltrack, Tiguan R or maybe an Outback (in an ideal world the Arteon, A4/Allroad and V60 Crosscountry would be at the top of the list but I don’t expect to be making that much more in two years ). Just not sure I’m ready to give up a car for some sort of crossover, despite needing a bit more room than the GTI offers. The GLI might end up being the ideal compromise, whether it’s sold in Germany or not.
      Last edited by bhak1; 07-25-2019 at 10:44 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Honda Civic SI(gone), 2003 A4 1.8T 5MT, 1987 Porsche 944(gone), 2006 VW Passat 3.6 Sport 2 (Dai
      07-25-2019 10:59 PM #4
      Good taste man. I like all the cars you mention. The new Volvo's are really impressive if you're looking for something outside of VWAG. I ride through the dealer lot at least once a week to look at them.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-26-2019 11:28 AM #5
      If I were financially capable I would probably just go straight for an A4, A5 Sportback, Allroad or the Crosscountry, with the later two being the more practical choices with home ownership and a kid on the way. Unfortunately from what I can see I don't think I'd get a decently equipped one for under $45k and that's $10-15k more than I should really be spending and turning out to be not so practical after all with the expenses of the aforementioned kid and house. The Regal TourX is another car that recently came to my attention (I honestly didn't even know it existed until a few days ago) and it a lot of ways seems perfect. Just not sure if I can see myself driving a GM/Buick or putting in the money to be one of those guys that converts his badge engineered Euro/Aussie GM back into an Opel or Holden.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Mazda 6... for now
      07-26-2019 12:33 PM #6
      Yeah, Skoda Octavia I believe. Been on MQB since like 2013 I believe. There is even a lifted wagon version in like the All-track

I hate how everything I like in the US requires you to pay and extra $10K for an Audi badge

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-28-2019 01:16 AM #7
      Octavia

Jetta

Superb

It doesn't actually look to be as close as a match to the Octavia or Superb as I was theorizing... Particularly with the Jetta having that C-pillar window that the Skodas lack. Still there's definitely a common design language and I'm sure the MQB underpinning all three sedans adds to some of that familial feel. Not quite as close as this was though...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta S, 2007 BMW R1200R
      07-28-2019 12:12 PM #8
      The Octavia is really handsome.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

Vehicles
      '19 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      07-28-2019 09:15 PM #9
      I went to the Czech Republic last year and Skodas were everywhere. They really take pride in their homegrown car brand. The late model Octavias are nice but in EU they're kind of budget cars, but not in a bad way. The hierarchy is like SEAT -> Skoda -> VW.
      Sip slow, slow drank
      ---
      Tottenham, Juventus, Benfica, DC United

12. 07-29-2019 03:05 PM #10
      I've seen some Skodas in LA