Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice headlamps!

1. 07-25-2019 07:29 PM #26
      I've found sanding, compounding, polishing and sealing to only temporarily restore lights. Once they have started to haze (oxidize?) Once, they will do it again eventually.. Hopefully your results are different!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Golf S 1.8TSI / Tungsten Silver Metallic / 5MT / 19" Cadiz / VWR springs / Golf R headlights / Neuspeed p-flo intake / Neuspeed hi-flo turbo discharge kit / CTS throttle pipe / CTS turbo inlet pipe / VCDS tweaks / LED upgrade / Home of the Urban Joke Mod

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      07-25-2019 07:46 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 7GIRLS3CUPS View Post
      At $20 if it works for 20 minutes you've gotten your moneys worth
      I had a cheap hooker tell me that one time.

You guys have been keeping a Tesla thread on the front page of TCL for over 3 years now
      Well, it wasn't doing well in either the Tesla or EV forum, so...
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing, '18 CX-5
      07-25-2019 07:48 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
      I use the 3M Kit and Blue Magic sealer to maintain them.
      I have also used the 3M kit with great results. I would maintain it using Plast-X polish and a coat of wax.
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      07-25-2019 07:50 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      Just to add, since I used a kit on my daughters Accord. Tape off the edges of the lights and also throw some sort of drop cloth over the rest of the hood and windshield. Otherwise you're going to be cleaning up wax off of the wiper, hood, and windshield area.
      This is good advice, particularly if you are using a drill attachment as you’ll fling stuff everywhere.

I used the 3M kit on the heavily yellowed lights on my last 4Runner and it was well worth the extra steps of sandpaper.

On my lightly fogged Prius lights, some PlasticX was enough.

3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AIZ5HY..._ZaKoDb66P7XQ2

6. 07-25-2019 07:55 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by sunofernest View Post
      What do you all use after polishing to keep them from oxidizing again?
      Lamin-x

Vehicles
      VW Atlas, 2004 R32, 2003 Yukon XL Denali
      07-25-2019 08:11 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      $20! I'd throw that kinda money at an orbital. I assume it works just fine?
      It's actually pretty decent. I have only used it to polish 4 sets of headlights. I figured I couldn't lose at that price. I have had good success with a few different Wen tools.

I use Novus heavy scratch remover. If I feel the need, I finish up with the fine scratch remover. The headlights on my 2003 Yukon are in pretty bad shape. Polishing helped, but they are bad enough that I think they just need to be replaced. Sanding might restore them though.
      Bought my old R32 back this year. IG @boomerang_r32

8. 07-25-2019 08:22 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      A search for "foggy" and "headlights" brings up a 2013 thread in the MkIV forum, about someone trying to replace his sister's fogged-up headlights with something non-OEM.

A search for anything shorter than "foggy" brings up 474 threads, mostly about people installing or selling fog lights or switches.

So, no. Besides, why would you want less posts? This place is dying, it needs all the activity it can get.

Judging from some of the um self important members around here I'd say plenty of them just LOVE to see their own comments
      and have no interest in a counter point being aimed at their viewpoint. They're the same kind that love to hear themselves talk. Just saying.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      07-25-2019 09:51 PM #33
      I use the 3M consumer kit.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

10. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      07-25-2019 10:27 PM #34
      The search function works just fine, if that was used this thread likely wouldn't even exist.
      The search sucks. I’ve been here ten years and it’s at a historic low for usability and functionality.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

07-26-2019 03:39 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      The Plast-X in the restoration kit is the same plastic polish you use with an orbital polisher. I normally use it with a real buffer, but if you don't have one, the Meguires kit comes with the drill attachment that solves that issue, which is why I suggested it.
      I went ahead and bought a cheap orbital and a bottle of plast-X (I have my own sandpaper), ended up being about $5 more than the kit itself.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      A good UV protecting wax or, better yet, spray a few coats of clear on it.
      Clear as in a clear coat lacquer?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      07-26-2019 03:51 PM #36
      I went ahead and bought a cheap orbital and a bottle of plast-X (I have my own sandpaper), ended up being about $5 more than the kit itself.

That cheap orbital should pay for itself in no time. Good choice!
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

13. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      07-26-2019 04:22 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      It's there because people actively participate. In fact, they've participated 6,827 times. And it's been viewed 390,308 times. The Wacky Accident thread has 16,098 replies and 3,159,339 views. That's the key. If OP posted this in the Detailing Forum, it would get a reply sometime around June 2023, because no one goes there. As it stands now, we're almost at 2 pages in 2 hours here. The subforums are pointless. This isn't 2005 anymore. There's not enough traffic to support them.
      Makes me sad. Presidential Detail in the Detailing subforum is what got me into detailing 10 years ago.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      07-26-2019 04:41 PM #38
      Sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease, did this to a pair of headlights a couple months ago. Think I started at around 200 grit and worked my way up to 2000 or so. Took a lot of effort and wet sanding, but eventually got to the point where I could just use some plastic polish and they came out really nicely.

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, '07 Triumph Bonneville, '80 Yamaha IT425
      07-26-2019 05:11 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JD_GolfS View Post
      I've found sanding, compounding, polishing and sealing to only temporarily restore lights. Once they have started to haze (oxidize?) Once, they will do it again eventually.. Hopefully your results are different!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      They originally have a UV coating which wears off over time. When you polish them, they no longer have any kind of coating and need to be protected or they will oxidize again. There are temporary waxes, spray on coatings, and some people clear coat them.

16. 07-26-2019 08:09 PM #40

Clear as in a clear coat lacquer?
      It must be a "UV blocking" clearcoat which can be applied to plastics.
      Cannot be anything else, it MUST have these properties or else not only will it fail quickly it will be harder to re-coat the lens in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12