Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Arteon Front Suspension Roughness/Thunk

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line 4Motion, 2019 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion
      07-25-2019 07:35 PM #1
      Ever since I have owned my Arteon, a grand total of two weeks, there is a noticeable "thunk" noise when I hit certain bumps in the road from the front suspension. I have written this off to just the way the car is built. It doesn't affect control or steering at all, but it is louder than I would think it should be for a premium car. Is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      ‘19 Arteon SE Urano Gray/ ‘19 Tiguan S SBM/DAP
      07-25-2019 07:45 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Coly8s View Post
      Ever since I have owned my Arteon, a grand total of two weeks, there is a noticeable "thunk" noise when I hit certain bumps in the road from the front suspension. I have written this off to just the way the car is built. It doesn't affect control or steering at all, but it is louder than I would think it should be for a premium car. Is this normal?
      What size are your wheels? I’m guessing what you are hearing is the normal bone shattering thud from low profile tires and a stiffer suspension
      ‘19 Arteon SE 4Motion Urano Gray
      ‘19 SBM Tiguan S 4Motion with DAP

Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SE 4 Motion, 2012 CC R Line, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      07-25-2019 07:51 PM #3
      I have an SE 4 Motion with 18"s and mine is very quiet. My 2012 CC with 139k miles on the other hand.....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-25-2019 07:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisMk6TDi View Post
      What size are your wheels? I’m guessing what you are hearing is the normal bone shattering thud from low profile tires and a stiffer suspension
      I have the 19 inch and I got those specifically because I had heard the 20s were rough. The 19s are pretty low profile too and can transmit a fair amount of roughness on their own, but this sounds more like actual suspension noise. If I were to take it over belgian blocks, it would be pretty loud, but yet the roughness or thunk sound i hear isn't transmitted to the steering or anything and the ride remains smooth. Just that noise.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat, 2010 Passat Sedan, 2010 Passat Wagon, 2019 Arteon
      07-25-2019 08:14 PM #5
      I have the 19 inch and I got those specifically because I had heard the 20s were rough. The 19s are pretty low profile too and can transmit a fair amount of roughness on their own, but this sounds more like actual suspension noise. If I were to take it over belgian blocks, it would be pretty loud, but yet the roughness or thunk sound i hear isn't transmitted to the steering or anything and the ride remains smooth. Just that noise.
      I'd have the dealer check it out. just my 2 cents

8. 07-25-2019 08:22 PM #6
      I have the same suspension noise and cluck. What is your cars build date? My car was sitting in port for 6 months and I currently have 600 miles. The suspension is working itself loose I believe as the noise is getting better. It seems like between the tires and the lack of wheel well insulation, there will always be some suspension noise.

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-25-2019 08:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
      I have the same suspension noise and cluck. What is your cars build date? My car was sitting in port for 6 months and I currently have 600 miles. The suspension is working itself loose I believe as the noise is getting better. It seems like between the tires and the lack of wheel well insulation, there will always be some suspension noise.
      That makes me feel a little better and sort of confirms what I thought about the suspension. It isn't a major problem and I've kind of thought of it as a stiff suspension. I only have 440 miles on it and my build date was August 2018! Not sure when it hit the port, but I figure mine was part of the initial ramp up for the US market that got delayed. It is a little bit of a unicorn in that it has an exterior color/seat combo (Pure White/Stone Grey) that isn't currently available as a build option.

10. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      07-26-2019 10:30 AM #8
      get under there and look at the suspension.
      i bet the techs forgot to remove the suspension "puck" when they did their PDI when it arrived. happens a lot, but that would/could be the noise.
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD :: 19 Atlas SEL 4Motion - Wife's Daily :: 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - Daily

11. 07-26-2019 10:33 AM #9
      If the shipping blocks were still in there, I would think the suspension will be a lot rougher. On the contrary, the ride is very smooth, just the suspension making more noise than it should, overall, very happen with the car.

12. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-26-2019 11:40 AM #10
      If the shipping blocks were still in there, I would think the suspension will be a lot rougher. On the contrary, the ride is very smooth, just the suspension making more noise than it should, overall, very happen with the car.
      youd be surprised on how many people reported the same symptoms and bring it in, only to see those shipping pucks still in there. its worth looking at for sure...
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD :: 19 Atlas SEL 4Motion - Wife's Daily :: 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - Daily

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-26-2019 12:10 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      get under there and look at the suspension.
      i bet the techs forgot to remove the suspension "puck" when they did their PDI when it arrived. happens a lot, but that would/could be the noise.
      Where am I looking for this and what do they look like?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Passat GT (mine); 2018 Tiguan SE (wife's)
      07-26-2019 12:54 PM #12
      Where am I looking for this and what do they look like?

Previous VAG vehicles - 2017 Golf Alltrack, 2015 Golf R, 2012 Passat TDI, 2000 Audi A4

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/847807.png

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-26-2019 12:57 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post
      I tried to lift up on that part and it is like it is sealed tight to the bottom. Can't get it free and wondering if it is somehow different on the Arteon. Don't want to jack up that plastic sleeve.

16. 07-26-2019 02:13 PM #14
      I managed to lift the boot up but I don't have a jack so cant get it pass the strut body. I tried squeezing the boot and there is something with a bigger diameter than the piston going up about 4 inches up the spring, it might be just the strut body.

I would think if the shipping blocks are still in, the car would bottom out on small potholes and I dont think thats what I am experiencing.
      Last edited by The G Man; 07-26-2019 at 08:07 PM.

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-27-2019 10:24 AM #15
      I managed to lift the boot up but I don't have a jack so cant get it pass the strut body. I tried squeezing the boot and there is something with a bigger diameter than the piston going up about 4 inches up the spring, it might be just the strut body.

I would think if the shipping blocks are still in, the car would bottom out on small potholes and I dont think thats what I am experiencing.
      I'd have to agree. Mine feels about the same. Wish I knew what specific shipping blocks they used so I would know exactly what to look for and where. I've also seen photos of the ones that fit onto the springs and are quite obvious. Definitely don't have that kind and everything else that I can see appears to be normal.

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-29-2019 12:55 PM #16
      Update: I took the car in today to have the homelink rear view mirror installed and while I was there I asked them to check it out. Sure enough, the right side strut still had one shipping block in there. Noise is gone!

19. 07-29-2019 05:29 PM #17
      Good to know. I think I should have my dealer check it too.

20. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-29-2019 06:31 PM #18
      Good to know. I think I should have my dealer check it too.
      I really would. It totally eliminated the noise I was hearing and it is now smooth as silk.

21. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-30-2019 09:10 AM #19
      Update: I took the car in today to have the homelink rear view mirror installed and while I was there I asked them to check it out. Sure enough, the right side strut still had one shipping block in there. Noise is gone!
      glad you found the issue! and an easy and free fix too!

22. 07-30-2019 09:27 AM #20
      I really would. It totally eliminated the noise I was hearing and it is now smooth as silk.
      How loud was your noise, mines is a slight thump, just slightly louder than normal. Just how quiet is the Arteon's suspension suppose to be?

23. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      07-30-2019 10:00 AM #21
      How loud was your noise, mines is a slight thump, just slightly louder than normal. Just how quiet is the Arteon's suspension suppose to be?
      It wasn't terrible, but was definitely noticeable on certain bigger bumps and it was clear the noise was coming from the right front and not the left. Although I'm not sure, i think the shipping blocks may be in multiple segments and they removed most, but left one behind. I would get it checked. The car now sounds as expected. Your description sounds very much like what I was hearing. It was also clear that there is no way to actually check unless the car is put up on a lift. When it is on a lift, the suspension hangs down and the strut is fully extended, allowing them to reach up under the sleeve that surrounds the upper strut, which is where they put the blocks.

24. 07-30-2019 02:27 PM #22
      Thanks, I have an appointment this Thursday, I will update once I know more.

25. 08-01-2019 02:06 PM #23
      Just got back from the dealer, no shipping blocks. They even took off door panel and found nothing. Back to the drawing board.

26. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      08-01-2019 07:44 PM #24
      Just got back from the dealer, no shipping blocks. They even took off door panel and found nothing. Back to the drawing board.
      Did they test drive and could they hear the noise?

27. 08-01-2019 08:08 PM #25
      Did they test drive and could they hear the noise?
      The cluck has been getting better for some reason and happening less right before my salesman made my appointment for me. No rattle when we went on the test drive. The foreman said he check the usual problem spots such as shipping blocks and strut mounts. He even took off the driver door panel to make sure nothing was lose. Of course on the ride home, there was no rattles.