VWVortex.com - What else should my wife look at besides the Golf R?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What else should my wife look at besides the Golf R?

1. 08-01-2019 01:10 PM #1
      I need some help to make sure I don't make a wrong car decision again.

Last year, I convinced my wife a Civic EX-T 6 speed was the car for her. She's hated it since like day 2. Doesn't like the seats, hates that it's not a hatch, and wants something faster. She was also driving 140 miles a day when we got it, but switched jobs and the mpg isn't as critical as it was when we bought it. She also wants to go back to AWD if we're switching cars.

Long story short, this is what she has told me she wants out of her next car:

- reasonably quick and fun to drive (dealbreaker)
      - wagon or hatch (dealbreaker)
      - heated seats (dealbreaker; she won't even entertain the thought of not having these )
      - AWD (not a dealbreaker, but extremely strong preference)
      - manual (not a dealbreaker, but preferred )
      - safe for 2 kids in car seats, reliable, good resale (this is basically every new car, right? This also wouldn't be the primary baby hauler)
      - big enough for a 75 pound bulldog to ride in the trunk (again, not the dog hauler, but if need be, she's gotta fit)
      - budget around $45k, but not set in stone. Happy to go much cheaper or a little more expensive.
      - Preferred brand new, or at least with some sort of factory warranty

So there's a little room for compromise. She could maybe be convinced about AWD. And I think something like DSG could convince her away from a manual. But it has to be quick/fun, it absolutely has to be a wagon or hatch or small SUV and it absolutely, 100%, no questions asked, has to have factory heated seats.

Here's what we've driven or considered so far:
      - Focus RS. We drove a '16 and she loved it, but the specific car was a giant red flag. Dealer found a brand new '18 and offered to have it delivered for MSRP. But it didn't have heated seats. Broke my heart, since I was warming up to the idea of getting the last brand new Focus RS in America! We are looking around at used RS's in the area.
      - Civic Type R. Hated the styling so much, she wouldn't even sit it in. FWD could have been ok
      - WRX/STi. Drove it multiple times. Couldn't get past sedan. Realized the hatch was a true dealbreaker
      - Golf R. Driving it tomorrow. On paper, this checks all of the boxes. I am starting to like the idea of a DSG with an APR reflash. Seems to make a lot more sense than a Focus RS as a realistic daily driver. Dealer offered $5k off MSRP if I bought it yesterday, but couldn't pull the trigger without having at least sat in one
      - Edge ST. Seems overpriced and not as fun. Interesting on paper, but haven't driven it and probably won't.
      - Forester XT. Would obviously have to be used and I remember the CVT not exactly being inspiring when we drove one last year. Her dream car that doesn't exist is probably a Forester STi though.
      - Tesla Model 3. Actually had a deposit on one for 2 years, but for a variety of reasons, it's not for her.

So tell me, are there any other cars I should be considering if I'm looking for a fun to drive hatch/wagon/SUV that has AWD, heated seats, maybe a manual, enough for car seats and a dog, and is around $45k?

On paper the Golf R is the ideal car here, but I don't want to be forgetting something and I really haven't been paying close attention to this segment in the last couple years.
      Last edited by GTiTOM; 08-01-2019 at 01:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-01-2019 01:20 PM #2
      There's a 2012 E63 AMG wagon for sale on BaT Current bid is 44k lol

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      08-01-2019 01:21 PM #3
      Golf r of the choices listed.

Are you dc area btw?
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      08-01-2019 01:24 PM #4
      Of those, the R will be the best mix of performance, comfort, and efficiency.

6. 08-01-2019 01:41 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      Of those, the R will be the best mix of performance, comfort, and efficiency.
      Thats what its looking like. Any suggestions to add to the list that i'm missing out on?

7. 08-01-2019 01:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      There's a 2012 E63 AMG wagon for sale on BaT Current bid is 44k lol
      CEO of my company got a brand new one last year. I've had a few rides. Ridiculous. Maybe some day

For now, the lack of warranty would be the deal breaker

8. 08-01-2019 01:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      Golf r of the choices listed.

Are you dc area btw?
      Those are just the ones we've seen/driven/considered, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Is there anything that meets the description out there that I'm forgetting, or did we cover the options?

Not DC; I'm in the Boston area
      Last edited by GTiTOM; 08-01-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Vehicles
      Accord 2.0t, Pilot, E30
      08-01-2019 01:52 PM #8
      I'd go with the R. R's are sitting on dealer lots in the northeast so I am sure you can get a deal. If you are trading the Civic, just make sure you get prices before mentioning a trade. Contact Quirk in Manchester NH and Quirk in Braintree, MA. You should be able to get them to compete against each other. I played both of each other when I bought my GTI. The NH location has 8 on the lot and 5 are DSG, the MA location has 4, 2 being DSG. My local dealer in Burlington VT has 7 in stock.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      08-01-2019 01:57 PM #9
      Good on her for wanting the manual. The Golf R is designed around it.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-01-2019 01:58 PM #10
      Just let her decide. I would recommend a regular GLI GTI. Golf R sounds like an overpriced proposition here.

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      08-01-2019 01:58 PM #11
      Does Volvo still have anything that fits your crteria? Like the V90? I don't remember if it was going to come with AWD or not.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      08-01-2019 02:00 PM #12
      You could look at the previous gen STI. Granted it will be at least 5 years old and a stock version would be spendy but still below your budget.

14. 08-01-2019 02:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VT1.8T View Post
      I'd go with the R. R's are sitting on dealer lots in the northeast so I am sure you can get a deal. If you are trading the Civic, just make sure you get prices before mentioning a trade. Contact Quirk in Manchester NH and Quirk in Braintree, MA. You should be able to get them to compete against each other. I played both of each other when I bought my GTI. The NH location has 8 on the lot and 5 are DSG, the MA location has 4, 2 being DSG. My local dealer in Burlington VT has 7 in stock.
      Nice, that's good to know, thanks!

I'd be willing to trade the civic, but might also sell it privately. I might also keep it. Flexible depending on the offer, so I told them to just focus on the new car and after we get it done I'd decide if we want to trade it in.

Dealer we have an appt with tomorrow called me yesterday and offered $4500 off MSRP if I could buy it that day. I said it'd have to be the deal of a lifetime and said the only way I was taking a car sight unseen that I haven't driven, that's the wrong color, and maybe wrong transmission is if it was $10k below MSRP. I was basically joking but said I'd take it for $32,500 out the door if they said the absolute best they could was $39k OTD. Supposedly only good for a day. We'll see what happens if we decide to pull the trigger.

15. 08-01-2019 02:07 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post
      You could look at the previous gen STI. Granted it will be at least 5 years old and a stock version would be spendy but still below your budget.
      This has been a consideration.

I had an '11 WRX wagon when we met and sold it to get a Forester when she got pregnant. It's basically her dream car. If they made the new WRX in a wagon, we'd have one.

Finding a low miles, low owner, well maintained, stock, sti with no stories is my concern. But we keep our eye out. It's just too bad they stopped making the wagon.

08-01-2019 02:08 PM #15
      A45 amg.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      08-01-2019 02:10 PM #16
      The Golf R is great of course, but not for two child seats and a giant dog IMO. Your other choices are questionable IMO

Some ideas (all without MT though...):

CPO F31 BMW
      CPO Audi A7/S7
      Volkswagen Arteon
      Volvo XC40
      Mazda CX-5 Turbo
      Audi A5 Sportback
      Audi A4 Allroad

18. 08-01-2019 02:11 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Just let her decide. I would recommend a regular GLI GTI. Golf R sounds like an overpriced proposition here.
      It's her car. Her decision. I'm just doing the research for her to make sure she considers everything.

GLI won't work because it's a sedan and is the main reason she doesn't like the Civic. GTI wouldn't work because there's an AWD version of basically the same car.

Why do you think the R is overpriced? Seems like a great value for what you get and the resale seems high. Are you just saying it's more expensive?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf , 2000 Golf GLS, 87 GTI (gone)
      08-01-2019 02:15 PM #18
      Have her test drive a Tesla 3 before you write it off... :-) Sure, its not a hatch, and you probably have other reasons for "its not for her" but I don't think she knows that until she drives one. The driving experience is just.that.good.

20. 08-01-2019 02:22 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      The Golf R is great of course, but not for two child seats and a giant dog IMO. Your other choices are questionable IMO

Some ideas (all without MT though...):

CPO F31 BMW
      CPO Audi A7/S7
      Volkswagen Arteon
      Volvo XC40
      Mazda CX-5 Turbo
      Audi A5 Sportback
      Audi A4 Allroad
      Awesome, appreciate the list!

To clarify: We have a 4runner that has the car seats 95% of the time and the dog 98% of the time. So the car just needs to be able to drive with both car seats in and the dog in the trunk if needed. It's like physically impossible in the sedan. It would be a rare occurrence in the next car, but the possibility needs to exist. So that's why it needs to be a hatch/wagon, but doesn't need to be a big hatch or wagon.

F31 wagon - love this idea. Hadn't considered.
      A7/S7/Arteon/A5 - never really considered it, but the trunk might work. Will have to look at some more pics.
      Xc40/CX-5/A4 - she wants fast. My mom just got a new Cx-5 grand touring. Fantastic car. Just more utility than sport, and we already have the utility vehicle

Thanks again!

21. 08-01-2019 02:26 PM #20
      I drove an Edge ST for hundreds of KM a few weeks ago. Great engine - but it's a heavy vehicle. The adaptive cruise almost killed us twice (brakes randomly??).
      I liked the seats. Stereo was decent enough.

Nothing about the car felt particularly unique or fun - even though there's nothing like it in that segment.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

22. 08-01-2019 02:31 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by trickery View Post
      Have her test drive a Tesla 3 before you write it off... :-) Sure, its not a hatch, and you probably have other reasons for "its not for her" but I don't think she knows that until she drives one. The driving experience is just.that.good.
      I'm with you 100%. And it might be my next car. But she hates how it looks and has some range anxiety on it, both rational and irrational (occasional long commute + sometimes only coming home for 4 hours + not being able to charge at work).

We had the deposit down on it since the day it was available, but her Forester got totaled before the AWD version was available. We considered getting a cheap used car for a few months to wait until the tesla came out but she decided that there was zero possibility she'd drive it. As she's seen more on the road, her dislike for the styling has only grown

23. 08-01-2019 02:35 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      I drove an Edge ST for hundreds of KM a few weeks ago. Great engine - but it's a heavy vehicle. The adaptive cruise almost killed us twice (brakes randomly??).
      I liked the seats. Stereo was decent enough.

Nothing about the car felt particularly unique or fun - even though there's nothing like it in that segment.
      I was a little excited about it when I first saw it. It's like a Forester XT. But then I optioned one out and started to get into the 50s and started to pass. Read some more reviews and crossed it off the list. Looked at it when were at the Ford dealer driving the Focus and she just shook her head before we even got close enough to see the window sticker.

24. 08-01-2019 02:37 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      A45 amg.
      Has this come out yet or did I completely miss it?

25. 08-01-2019 02:38 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 0dd_j0b View Post
      Does Volvo still have anything that fits your crteria? Like the V90? I don't remember if it was going to come with AWD or not.
      Not sure, thats why I'm asking the experts

26. Member
      Vehicles
      16 FiST
      08-01-2019 02:50 PM #25
      You can add heated seats to any car, just something to consider if she truly loved the Focus RS. Especially with cars that come with heated seats in ugpraded trim, you can source the OEM heated element and presumably the OEM switchgear.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast