VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Very Odd Clutch Trouble - 020 2Y

940 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  '88Jetta16v 
#1 ·
Hoping someone has good insight on a strange issue I've been having with the 020 2Y in my '92 GTI 16v. More specifically, it's clutch trouble. When I bought the car, it had a ratty 8v trans in it, so I found a solid, used 2Y and swapped it in 25,000 miles ago. At the time, I added an 8.5lb flywheel (steel), replaced the clutch, pressure plate, hardware, thrust plate, new pushrod, input shaft seal, throwout bearing, pushrod seal, and pushrod bushing. Also, a new GEMO manual clutch cable. Clutch and PP were Sachs. I added EP grease to the contact point of the thrust plate and pushrod and the pushrod was absolutely oriented correctly.

Everything felt great, but then abruptly, 7000 miles later (and 4 hours from home), the clutch pedal wouldn't return. Got the car apart again to find the pushrod punched a hole right through the thrust plate. I chalked it up to poor or mis-heat treating of either the pushrod or thrust plate, ordered all new parts for everything clutch related and put the car back together.

Fast forward to now and I find myself in the same situation, just 18,000 miles later. Clutch wouldn't return, couldn't get the car into gear with the engine running. Disassembled everything to find the pushrod once again punched right through the thrust plate.

The wear pattern on the thrust plate appears oval and I thought perhaps a bad bearing on the input shaft was allowing it and the pushrod to move too much and press off center on the thrust plate. However, I measured the deflection on the nose of the input shaft with an indicator and got .005" total radial deflection with me pushing up and down forcefully on the shaft . I checked the 5 other 020s I have laying around and they ranged from .003 to .006" so I don't think the one in the car is out of range.

Anyway, I'm stumped on what could be causing this issue, but I'd hate to buy all new parts and put it back together as is because I can bet this will happen again.

Thanks. :thumbup:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.